SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wish List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2013 at 3:42am
Originally posted by Stoli151 Stoli151 wrote:

I would like to see more dangerous thunderstorms if it can be done. Simulate updrafts, downdrafts, microbursts, etc. Right now there is barely a reason to divert for weather, you can fly an ultralight right through a T-storm without a problem. Thanks for a great program. It has been worth every penny I paid.

If you are using the Opus DHM turbulence with Bump Aircraft option then you will certainly notice flying into thunderstorms (there are two extra turbulence levels for this sort of thing). Also the latest windshear addition will affect your aircraft if you try to land in these conditions. The simulations you talk about though are an FSX simulation.

But no weather engine can actually place the individual clouds so it is not possible to create a dense line of thunderstorms. They are quite widely seperated in real life though, although you can get huge storms covering vast areas of the sky, something FSX just cannot render.

Stephen
Stoli151 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoli151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2013 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

something FSX just cannot render.
 Can you make us a brand new simulator that does? I would pay big bucks for it.Big smile
WillyWonka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyWonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2013 at 6:05pm

These are already included, have been for a long time ...

1. You already can force a weather update by two methods...

a) Using the 'Update Weather' shortcut command.
b) Using the Addons - OpusFSI Live Weather - Load Dynamic Weather menu option.

2. You can already see the time of the last weather update, its displayed in all the Opus weather report windows. You should be checking or displaying your Destination weather report window anyway, thats what its there for. Then you will be able to see the time when the weather was last updated along with the actual METAR zulu day and time stamp.

Stephen

Ah, ok. I thought "Load Dynamic Weather" meant that it's a command to load a preset, ie theme, rather than "Refresh Dynamic Weather".

The destination weather report window is empty until I'm close to the destination, so that window remains empty for a long while. The atmospheric reports only give the GRIB data time window. I guess the local report would have the current time or time last fetched?
Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 2:56am
Yes, you can look at any Opus weather report, the last update time will be displayed in the caption for the window. You can also use any alternate weather reports if you have set them to show waypoint stations en route for example.

I will think about renaming the menu option to 'Update Dynamic Weather' (all preset themes are static though not dynamic).

Stephen Smile
GCNorth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GCNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 12:11pm
Hi Stephen,

First of all, I want to say how much I enjoy Opus, and I want to thank you and Cheryl for your outstanding customer response.  I was wondering if it would be possible to provide a shortcut key to toggle windows opened and closed?  My eyesight is not the best so I have made some windows of gauges that are larger than normal but it would be nice to close these when not needed. I know that I can use the Opus menu but it would be nice to use a shortcut.  If a shortcut is not possible, would it be possible to assign underlined letters to the Opus menu so that I could use FSUIPC4 to accomplish this?  Thanks again for your great product!

Gerry
RCFlyer51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCFlyer51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 1:14pm
Stephen:

First, great product.  Really enjoying it. 

Suggestion:

Configure the local weather report to display the ICAO ID of the weather station used when there is no weather station at your current location.

Discussion:  When I am at 4S2, which has no weather station, and I open the weather report window it indicates there are 0 metars downloaded for that location, yet, it provides weather data from the nearest weather station (KCZK).  It is great to get weather from the nearest station, but, it would be even better to know which station the weather data was obtained from. 

Thanks again for your program and outstanding support.

Regards,

Danny

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 4:36pm
The weather is interpolated using ALL the reported METARs from all the stations within the weather map. So its not as simple as adopting the weather of one single station. It is true a nearby station will have more influence but the actual weather is interpolated by all the surrounding weather reports.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by GCNorth GCNorth wrote:

Hi Stephen,

First of all, I want to say how much I enjoy Opus, and I want to thank you and Cheryl for your outstanding customer response.  I was wondering if it would be possible to provide a shortcut key to toggle windows opened and closed?  My eyesight is not the best so I have made some windows of gauges that are larger than normal but it would be nice to close these when not needed. I know that I can use the Opus menu but it would be nice to use a shortcut.  If a shortcut is not possible, would it be possible to assign underlined letters to the Opus menu so that I could use FSUIPC4 to accomplish this?  Thanks again for your great product!

Gerry

I will see what can be done to add a shortcut to toggle the windowed views on and off.

Stephen
RCFlyer51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCFlyer51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 4:45pm

The weather is interpolated using ALL the reported METARs from all the stations within the weather map. So its not as simple as adopting the weather of one single station. It is true a nearby station will have more influence but the actual weather is interpolated by all the surrounding weather reports.

Stephen

I see.  When I was reviewing this topic last night while at 4S2 I checked the METARs for KCZK and it was the same weather at KCZK as indicated at my location (4S2).   That is why I thought it was using the nearest weather station information.  Oh well, thanks anyway.

Regards,

Danny

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 2:07am
Hi Danny

Your point is perfectly valid, if there is a nearby met station then that stations weather will be dominant. But the Local report is useful and not always identical to any particular nearby met station. I may see about including a separate report to cover the nearest met stations reporting METARs. I have room for one more report option.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 3:31am
Please refer to our latest Announcements post.

New Idea ...

I am thinking of making a start (phase one) to provide assistance to users with flight plans or general users who wish to enter a list of ICAO station codes defining their route. I may also provide a simple tickbox to automatically include your specified destination and any alternates into this list. In the case of a flight plan, I will simply extract any ICAO codes from the planned route and append those.

I will then add a new METAR type of report option to supplement the existing Opus Weather Report windows. The new METAR Report window option will list up to nine met stations (extracted from the user's list) along with any necessary 'More', 'Previous' and 'Quit' options. Hence any number of met stations can be accommodated in the list, the selection of a met station being identical to using the FSX radio station list.

The idea being, these met stations will be added to the list of downloaded METARs; when the user selects one of them from the displayed list, the software will provide a weather report for that site. This way you could keep track of any long distance weather reports whilst you fly. Phase two could extend this to include any available TAFs as well.

Just an idea at the moment, of course this feature will also allow general users to obtain weather reports for their specified destination and alternates, even though these sites may be 'out of range' of the current weather map.

What do you think?

Stephen

emc_01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emc_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 4:03am
Hello Stephen,

is it possible to smooth horizontal visibility, from 2 airports metars.
I flew from 2 airport close of 80 miles, and the horizontal vis. was for the first 9999, and 4000 for the second, and in between, I had an abrupt visibility change which is a bit annoying.

Best regards and keep up the good work, your software rocks!!

Emmanuel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 4:19am
We already do, but allow the vis to change by 4000 metres between weather cells, 12000 metres in areas of generally good visibility. There are a limited number of visibility levels which can be set and accepted by FSX. They are quite fine at lower visibilities but not so finely spaced at higher levels. A vis of 9999 just means whatever Max Surface Vis you have specified, usually either 32km or 48km.

If I were to smooth the vis out more gently then the LWE would not be able to match the METAR reports and since vis changes can be quite sudden any way, a sudden mist or fog bank for instance nearly always has a sharp boundary, the LWE would most likely not be able to keep to the METAR reports.

Do you have the fog and mist effects enabled. You may wish to enable them and check your max surface vis settings. With the mist effect enabled the poorer, 4000 metre mist zone, would have been topped with a thin layer of broken stratus making it visible (FSX cannot render changing horizontal or vertical vis layers correctly). But even if you had set your max surface vis to say 32km the best the LWE would have been able to stagger it would be 32, 16, 8 then finally 4km. This would have taken 30 miles to stagger in and you would still see sudden changes in vis as you passed though from one cell to another. As mentioned above, the LWE will stagger or smooth out the vis changes anyway, unless the METARs do not allow it to. In most circumstances it would, if allowed, stagger the vis by 4km or 8km per cell depending on the overall conditions. But all it takes is the adjacent METAR to report 9999 and the LWE can do nothing.

Of course the weather and surface visbility en route does not just depend on your point of origin and destination METARs. There are usually many met stations en route, hence it is not possible to just try and graduate or smooth the vis between your origin and destination, the weather an vis must be interpolated taking all met station reports into consideration. In addition, with the limited number of vis levels you would always see abrupt changes at the high vis settings, those above 4000 metres.

Stephen
peebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 7:17am
Hi Stephen, to get back on tack with your new idea it sounds good. To get enroute conditions sounds RW to me! Will we be able to obtain the cruise alt wind speeds for the enroute waypoints for the NGX FMC?
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 7:51am
We will slowly add more data aiming to finish up providing a full weather report, including winds loft for the route. Start off with just METARs, then TAFs, then other data relating to ICAO stations and route waypoints.

Stephen
EdwardS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwardS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 11:50am

New Idea ...

I am thinking of making a start (phase one) to provide assistance to users with flight plans or general users who wish to enter a list of ICAO station codes defining their route. I may also provide a simple tickbox to automatically include your specified destination and any alternates into this list. In the case of a flight plan, I will simply extract any ICAO codes from the planned route and append those.

I will then add a new METAR type of report option to supplement the existing Opus Weather Report windows. The new METAR Report window option will list up to nine met stations (extracted from the user's list) along with any necessary 'More', 'Previous' and 'Quit' options. Hence any number of met stations can be accommodated in the list, the selection of a met station being identical to using the FSX radio station list.

The idea being, these met stations will be added to the list of downloaded METARs; when the user selects one of them from the displayed list, the software will provide a weather report for that site. This way you could keep track of any long distance weather reports whilst you fly. Phase two could extend this to include any available TAFs as well.

Just an idea at the moment, of course this feature will also allow general users to obtain weather reports for their specified destination and alternates, even though these sites may be 'out of range' of the current weather map.

What do you think?

Stephen

Fantastic, bravo! Clap
Ed Smoker
RCFlyer51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCFlyer51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by EdwardS EdwardS wrote:

New Idea ...

What do you think?

Stephen

Fantastic, bravo! Clap
Agree, bravo. 
Danny
Akila View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 8:15pm
I would like to ask for a feature request. this request I have seen discussed on other weather Program that have it implemented
and by the youtube videos it looks amazing.

The request is to add a fog layer or similar effect when going through a cloud(s).
as of today when I fly into a cloudy or even an overcast sky full of clouds , those cloud split open like the Hebrew men crossed the red sea.
This I understand is an FSX feature and not related to OpusFSX or other weather Engine Program.
however to overcome this problem other weather Program added some kind of artificial fog/haze layer in between the clouds and/or the same layer of the clouds that once you hit into a cloud , it will be foggy/haze like in real life when you fly through a cloud.
In reality you have no viability until you exit the cloud or the cloud layer. (more relevant for a cloudy rainy day, etc.)
I would like to ask for that feature to simulate the real world viability when going into clouds.
I think this would boost the experience IMO.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2013 at 2:26am
I think you are talking about OUR Low Overcast Effect which comes into effect when an overcast cloud layer has a cloud base of 2000 feet or lower.

That weather engine is the OpusFSX Live Weather Engine !

It is not plausible with any cloud coverage other than overcast (8 octas) since you do not know exactly where the individual clouds are, nor do you know for certain the exact vertical extent of the clouds. Even if you did, FSX does not provide that sort of control.

But I suppose something like our Low Overcast Effect could be extended in overcast conditions at higher altitudes, greater than 2000 feet. The main problem you have is that FSX is very limited in what it can accommodate. I will consider extending the LOE to higher elevations but will have to be careful.

Stephen Smile
Mark1616 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark1616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2013 at 4:19am
I would second Akila's wish, i.e. an invisibility layer inside clouds.

I am a RW meteorologist, and can say that METAR often includes only lowest layers of clouds. This means that even when reporting rain or snow (RA, SN) the two lowest layers of clouds may easilly be FEW and SCT (i.e. some fractus clouds), or BKN, although there is a solid nimbostratus (Ns) cloud above. And rain or snow, unless of a convective type (SHRA, TSRA, ...), will for a fact result from a Ns cloud. Among the stratiform precipitation types, only drizzle (DZ) does not imply Ns.

So, my suggestion would be to always assume Ns clouds whenever there is rain in METAR. And Ns clouds are non-transparent and non-translucent, i.e. a deep layer (several km) of fog. This would increase the level of immersion in IFR weather by a factor, since flying through rain with both sky and ground visible is awkward and not realistic.

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2013 at 4:36am
METARs only include the lower layers if they cannot determine the upper layers. The LWE will not make up cloud and without going into finer detail, it already does most of what you are suggesting. Unfortunately FSX is notorious for not being able to handle vertical and horizontal visibility correctly.
Please see my previous post, we will see about extending reduced visibility. In real life the view forward is impared and you can see the ground when flying through rain unless it is obscured by cloud, just the other day we were flying through rain and had perfect visibility of the ground below. It is not possible to have real time control over the visibilty in FSX so what you request is largely impossible.
Mark1616 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark1616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2013 at 4:41am
I didn't say you should make up clouds, but rain comes from a cloud which cannot be other than Ns, unless it's a shower which it requires Cu. This is the theory, and accordingly it's not wrong to assume Ns clouds above the highest METAR reported cloud base. This is the sufficient argument for extending the "Low Overcast Effect" upwards, from your post 2 days ago.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2013 at 5:18am
As I said I already do what you are suggesting with regard to Nimbus.

I have already said above that I will look into extending our Low Overcast Effect upwards and even incorporating multiple overcasts but there are FSX limitations here so the LWE may only manage to extend the first overcast cloud base. I should point out though, in flying terms, overcast means at least 90% cloud coverage, and not always a solid 100%. Our LOE simply assumes reported overcasts at 2000 feet or below refer to solid 100% cloud cover and all overcasts above do not. I will see about extending the LOE much higher though but please understand FSX is NOT a known science, there ARE severe limitations as what can be assumed or known (such as actual cloud bases and heights for instance).

Stephen
GCNorth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GCNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2013 at 5:55pm
Hi Stephen,

I just want to thank you for setting up a hot key capability to toggle inflight windows on and off.  This is another example of your outstanding response that makes Opus the best weather engine (plus cameras) out there!  Thanks againClap

Gerry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 3:37am
Your welcome, just got to try and extend the LOE to higher elevations now amongst other things.

Stephen Smile
Japo32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Japo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 7:39am
Hi!

I have seen you have uploaded a new final version of OPUSFSX. GREAT!!
I cannot test it.. and didn't test the beta but I think you introduced the limits for TrackIR.. That is cool.

I don't know if this is possible, but my favorite airplane is the A2A P51. In this aircraft is necesary sometimes to put the head out of the cockpit to look in front of the plane while taxing. If I set limits to the TIR then I couldn't do it. Of course the solution is easy. Don't set those limits.. but.....

....Do you think it would be possible to set 2 limit options in some cases? If the door is closed then closed canopy limits.. if the door is open, then open canopy limits allowing more side motions?
Of course I understand this is just of a low number of planes and open a door in other planes doesn't change anything in motion inside of it.. but if we could choose to have that second limits in some cases (and switch off in others) would be great!

Of course this is an "stupid" wish... it is better to put more effort in other things like radar wx etc I believe, but if you like the idea, I would like to see it done!

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 7:47am
You set the limits wherever you want them. Just create named limits for that aircraft type that lets you stick your head out of the cockpit. Its you that decides where the limits should be and what XYZ limits you want to apply, you also name them and associate them with your individual camera views. It is very versatile and straight forward as you will soon find out. I think you will find it accommodates all your needs.

Stephen
Japo32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Japo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 8:57am
Well.. I could then change the name of the camera, even been both in the same position. 
Thanks!
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 9:17am
Stephen,
This would work beautifully if we could assign a key to cycle the views backward/forward.  I know that you had that on your to-do list but there were (areWink) other more important improvements.

By the way, how many wishes does the genie grant?

Cheers
Brent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 9:36am
Your wish has already been granted Master.

Its already included in the form of Cycle Next Camera View and Cycle Last Camera View shortcut commands.

Stephen
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 10:08am
Thanks Stephen - I completely missed that!Tongue

Brent
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 10:28am
Stephen
I had some success with assigning the forward/backward cycle views and it works great!  

I think an improvement would be to cycle only within the aircraft and virtual camera views.  I typically am setting instruments and aircraft systems within the virtual camera view and use the aircraft view for sightseeing!

I have a single key assigned to my default virtual view (pilot) and another one to get me to my first aircraft view (typically from behind).  With 2 more for cycle fwd/bckwd I can have all my camera views with only 4 keys.  It works but I think it would be an improvement (at least for me) if LC restricted the cycle cameras within the virtual and aircraft.

Would that be possible?

BrentBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 10:40am
I will see if I can separate external and other view modes into separate groups for the cycling keys.

Stephen

N.B.  Incorporated into the latest betas.
Akila View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2013 at 4:32pm
feature request
add stall effect to DHM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 1:22am
Stall effects would require knowledge of the aircraft's performance and its flight characteristics to detect the onset of the stall. This is best done by the actual aircraft sim. But keep the ideas flowing.

Stephen
francesco.doenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesco.doenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 10:47am
Doing a search with the keyword "weatermap" I did not find anything, it would be nice to have a weathermap surrounding your aircraft!?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 11:29am
Try searching for weather radar and live weather assistant. We have plans to include a graphic weather map or 'pseudo' weather radar feature as part of the Live Weather Assistant software that will run on a client computer system.

Stephen
Mark1616 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark1616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2013 at 2:10am
Hi,
I'd like to add an "Enhance IFR conditions" option to the wish list.
It could for example force BKN -> OVC when precipitation is reported which is not convective, and then the extended overcast effect would give us the absolutely amazing feeling of real bad weather flying.
You'll say that Opus does not invent weather, but this would not be any less realistic than drawing blue sky 95% of the time when it's raining. Non-convective rain almost always implies OVC, gray skies basically.
Again, this should be optional, i.e. configurable.
Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2013 at 2:27am
We do not draw anything, FSX draws absolutely everything. The blue sky rain is a known FSX anomaly and nothing to do with the weather engine.

You say it should almost always be one thing, but the METARs report another and the METARs are reporting real conditions. So apparently 'non-convective' rain as you call it does not require overcast conditions all the time otherwise the METARs would always report an overcast.

I do not want to go down the route of changing the RW weather. I can only suggest you edit the METARs and save them in an import file, or create and import your own GLOB METAR to practice IFR approaches. Another common practice is to choose a destination that already has severe weather conditions and fly to that.

We will soon be introducing an improved Opus Static Theme feature which you could then use to save your favourite severe IFR conditions and reload them anywhere in the world to practice your IFR approaches.

I do think the Opus Static Themes will provide you with the feature you desire. Just as users are starting to swap camera definitions you will also be able to swap and maintain a library of interesting weather conditions.

Stephen Smile
Mark1616 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark1616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2013 at 3:07am
Thanks, Steven, for your quick reply!

I'll certainly examine the static themes. 

Speaking of bad weather destinations, I did try to choose some this weekend when the weather in Europe was bad (solid cloud deck and rain from France, Switzerland, Germany, ... not severe, just deep solid clouds with rain) and not a single time I had true IFR conditions.

Even now, check north Italy, e.g. Genoa METAR LIMJ 290550Z 05009KT 5000 RA FEW008 SCT020 BKN045 15/13. It reports rain, and the cloud deck (satellite images) is solid in both IR and Vis spectra, meaning deep and dense clouds. There should be a way to represent these kind of real weather conditions other than manually editing metars ... since it is evident that metars are not the golden truth, especially not the automatic ones. 

For example cloud top height could be set according to the infra-red satellite image and GRIB temperature.

I'm sorry if it sounded that OpusFSX creates the unreal blue sky. I know pretty well by now that FSX has "features", many of which you've managed to fix ingeniously already.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic