SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 New Monthly Charge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 7 New Monthly Charge
    Posted: September-08-2018 at 11:03pm
2600K@4.8Ghz, 8GB 7-8-8-24-1, EVGA GTX580SC, 480GB SSD for FSX
woodhick803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 7:59am
Will SOMEONE please develop a simulator that will run on LINUX?
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Intel I7 960 quad core processor O/C'ed to 3.7GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX570 1.2Gb video card
6 Gb Muskin DDR3 CL 6 RAM
300Gb VelociRaptor dedicated hard drive
Win 7 Home Premium
den4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 10:22am
They already have.
X-Plane 11.
Den
ASUS Maximus V11 Hero, I7 4790 @ 4.6, 8Gb RAM, GTX 670 2Gb,C drive 232Gb Crucial SSD, F drive 447Gb Sandisc SSD, TH2G Digital, TH2G analog.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 2:34pm
Ahh, of course.  Now it becomes more interesting than ever.  Thanks for pointing it out.
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Win 7 Home Premium
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 3:33pm
If they won't be supporting Win 7 anymore, what are they charging for? 

Just don't pay it.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 4:32pm
What they are 'suggesting' without any official release announcement at this point is, if you want Windows Security Updates past a certain date you have to pay for them in a subscription and each year up to 2023 where they will stop permanently for W7, the price will go up each year.

They are getting nastier by the year with this.

Ok, so don't buy the extended support after Jan 2020, if you use any applications such as the more modern versions of Office, they wont allow it unless you sign up for the WSU service.

We don't know exactly what they are going to do at this point. All we know for sure is they are going to get nastier and sneakier as this unfolds. Just keep an eye open because this could all change the month before it is scheduled to be launched, or, 6 months after.

MS is about as reliable and as trustworthy as any good mafia family

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2018 at 6:20pm
I trust M$ as far as I can throw my house.
John Patterson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 7:42am
I remember when the Internet was a nice place with only the occasional monster or sex pervert hiding in the bushes.  Now the supposed good people are turning out to be something from "American Horror Story".
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Win 7 Home Premium
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 8:12am
No kidding!
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 8:57am
Originally posted by woodhick803 woodhick803 wrote:

I remember when the Internet was a nice place with only the occasional monster or sex pervert hiding in the bushes.  Now the supposed good people are turning out to be something from "American Horror Story".

I know what you mean..   way back before what we know as the 'internet'  it was a connection between major corporations, college intellectual databases as well as statistical information and government science/defense databases whereby the government was monitoring 'ARPANET' and could query/follow individuals as they may provide dissertations and upload information. If that information was deemed valuable, they would steal..err borrow the technology/economic science ideas and if that didn't work, recruit the developer errr student or idea-man (or woman) under the guise of things like 'National Security". Now, if that didn't work, recruit them into a 'Fortune 500' corporate position using really great salaries/benefits as the lure..   then when the asset was drained, steal  errr borrow their ideas.

.... if you knew what you were doing back then you could easily enjoy a day at the club or spa, perhaps have a boating weekend out in the Bahamas without technically 'stealing' anything, and simply charge it to; Mr. Underhill.

BTW I charged the Rio vacation to Mr. Underhill's American Express Card,.....   want the number?

-John Cocktosen  LOL  (Fletch)

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2018 at 9:18am
Before the internet, those undesirables were left to stare out their attic windows all day and write the occasional hate mail to the local editor. The internet has given some of them them a voice to rant along with their fellow conspiracy theorists. The rest of them run Microsoft.Wink
John Patterson
Ronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 10:23am
Just to add,
The proposed charges are for corporate volume licensing of windows,  to give ongoing support to businesses,  does not apply to our versions of windows, (well, not yet) no option for us with home versions to pay anything,  support for updates will just end.  
Quote Microsoft is currently only making this offer to Windows 7 Professional customers in Volume Licensing. Some small businesses may qualify, but the vast majority of everyday consumers (most of whom are running Windows 7 Home) will not.
I can live without them, (updates) as I have for a while and will keep windows 7 until it just becomes impossible to run other devices or programs etc.  That will be well after 2020.
Quote Nick wrote;
MS is about as reliable and as trustworthy as any good mafia family

I thinking the Mafia would be preferable these days.Censored  At least they pointed a gun at you and were honest in demanding your money,  it was perfectly clear you were getting robbed.

My daughter seems to have an incredible knack for breaking things,  I can imagine her with a career at Microsoft.  She would do well.Beer

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Ronski Ronski wrote:

I thinking the Mafia would be preferable these days.Censored  At least they pointed a gun at you and were honest in demanding your money,  it was perfectly clear you were getting robbed.......

Exactly!LOL
John Patterson
bbwilliamson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbwilliamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2018 at 9:15pm

t appears to be getting worse by the day, so much so, even mobile phones are now snooping into everyones life without permission..............

So I am quite happy running 6 computers on my Airbus flight sim without any connection to the internet at all, except for the original set of installs.

As a matter of interest, the last computer I had to re-do with a complete install the other day, I only up graded windows 7 without any of the security updates. Saved a lot of time and as far as I cann tell it appears to be working ok.

If this is the way to, then I can keep flying with Windows 7 !!!..........

Regards....................Brian W.

3 X 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, W7-64 bit, 3 X GTX 1070-- 3 X Optoma 1020 GT Projectors, Airbus A 320 Flight Sim
plus 3 control computers.
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2018 at 6:30am
That may be an option in the longer run, in fact I've been thinking about it for some time.

I run a lot of secondary flight sim stuff such as weather, maps and so on from a laptop which is what I use for general web access so this is up to date with patches and malware protection - this is my internet gateway. I would expect to update this to Win 10 eventually when I have no choice if it's necessary to maintain reasonable security.

I haven't update my Win 7 flight sim PC since Dec 2017, just before the Spectre / Meltdown debacle. Any internet access on that machine is defined by application and other than that it's local network only. So the issue is malware which could get on my laptop and spread via the local network. This is a low risk if managed with some care.

Of course eventually choices will be limited when moving to new hardware regarding drivers and OS support but as you can see from my spec. I have a decent machine which serves me well for now and into the foreseeable future. I can see you are in a similar situation even with older hardware which still suits your needs.

Whatever happens I will never willingly use Win 10 LOL
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic