SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What would you do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bikaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you do
    Posted: November-05-2019 at 2:18am
Upgrading to Windows 10 or install a clean Windows 10 if you want Windows 10 to work on your computer?
My computer is Windows 8 and i need a safe answer here.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 8:37am
Do a clean install. I did the upgrade and had to go back and do a clean install.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 12:46pm
Clean only, never upgrade..  ever.

But make very sure all of your drivers are available for Windows 10 before you do it to avoid a headache and 'gotcha' that forces you to replace hardware.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

But make very sure all of your drivers are available for Windows 10 before you do it to avoid a headache and 'gotcha' that forces you to replace hardware.

Yep. Learned that lesson with my sound card.
John Patterson
Bikaka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bikaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by cal2177 cal2177 wrote:

Do a clean install. I did the upgrade and had to go back and do a clean install.
I did that yesterday (Upgraded to Windows 10),but i didn't succeed,if i am going to do a clean install,i need a boot stick or Windows 10 creation media tool,isn't it?
Bikaka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bikaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 11:59pm

You are right,but Microsoft claims to be able to support Windows upgrades for free,but......I am disappointed.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 9:02am
I bought into that claim too, Nick. They were wrong. I encountered all kinds of problems when I upgraded. I ended up reformatting my drive and installing Win 10 clean and haven't had any problems since. Other than Win 10's inherent problems.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Bikaka Bikaka wrote:

You are right,but Microsoft claims to be able to support Windows upgrades for free,but......I am disappointed.

Free license transfer --and-- automatic upgrade

Don't mix the 2 up.. 

You may still qualify for their Windows 7 to Windows 10 'free' license transfer to the higher version OS, (if Microsoft is still offering that) but doing it using the 'automatic upgrade' method and not the 'clean install' method has never been a good or wise move. Since day 1 going back to the 90's, changing a full OS from older to new has never been good to do by using Microsoft's "automatic upgrade" method.

So yes, if you do qualify for their free license 'transfer' from Windows 7 to Windows 10 then you need to obtain their creation tool, download the latest version that matches your current Windows 7 version, create either a USB or a DVD from that ISO, wipe the Windows 7 install clean (disk or partition reformat) and install W10 from scratch,.. then use your original Windows 7 activation key after Windows 10 is clean installed. Make sure you have all the Windows 10 drivers for your current hardware ready to go at the same time or you might find out after all that and the HARD WAY you have hardware that WONT RUN in Windows 10.

If activation doesn't work, call Microsoft via the number they provide in the OS after W10 install and have them issue you a new key using your original Windows 7 activation key.

IMPORTANT NOTE: it must be the SAME VERSION of Windows too..  i.e.; you can't transfer from Windows 7 HOME to Windows 10 Professional or from Windows 7 x32 to Windows 10 x64, it must be the same Windows version going from one to the other. AND (unless they changed something) you must also have originally purchased the RETAIL VERSION of Windows 7 in the past, not the OEM version of Windows 7. To qualify for their free license transfer you must have a genuine in the box Windows 7 install DVD that is the full paid version and is not the cheaper OEM (or single system builder) DVD license version.

I thought Microsoft stopped offering the 'free license transfer' some time ago but perhaps they continued that. If they did then you should be able to obtain the creation tool, wipe it all out and do the full clean install without having to pay for a new license as long as you meet the criteria I posted above.

Just remember to verify all your current hardware is in fact supported by Windows 10 before you start or you will be replacing that hardware in order to successfully run Windows 10 

vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2019 at 1:06pm
I just upgraded a couple of old w7 systems last week. Used the media creation tool. It picks up the existing w7 key and creates a digital license for w10. no issues.

Vic
3770K 4.7G ASUS Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, HAF942 - H100 water W10 Pro

7700K 5.0g Asus X270F 3600 15-15-15 RTX2080ti 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAFX-H100 Water W10 Pro
Flyingpigspottery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingpigspottery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 11:01pm
Whether you upgrade to Windows 10 or reinstall Windows 10,you are allowed to do so,but by contrast,upgrading to Windows 10 can be dangerous,even if Microsoft insists again that this is free,but i still failed twice,if you are going to reinstall Windows 10,a Windows boot disc can do everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic