SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wave Animation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wave Animation?
    Posted: February-13-2013 at 9:08pm
I was wondering if there's a way to make FSX wave animation run a little slower to at lease 50% 

I was able to do this with FSX road traffic.

Thanks 

Danny

quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 11:25pm
The wave animation is controlled in the "fx_waves.fx" file. This is found in the "FSX/Effects" folder (where FSX refers to the main FSX folder where the FSX.exe is located).

In this file is a section called "[Emitter.0]".

One of the entries in this section is "Z Particle Velocity" which has two numeric values separated by a comma e.g.

Z Particle Velocity=5.00, 8.00

The first number represents the minimum, the second number the maximum. The speed is randomly generated each time the 'particle' (in this case the wave) is emitted at a value between the minimum and maximum values.

So, if you want to half the speed, change this line to be

Z Particle Velocity=2.50, 4.00

You will need to restart FSX for any changes to be recognised.

Try these changes at your own risk, so make sure you make a backup copy before you attempt this, and if bad things happen, don't call me Wink

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
momo737 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 12:03am
Thanks Jeff

I'm going to think about it. I don't like the way it sounds.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 1:17pm
I've heard that if you reduce the speed of the waves, they don't go as far up the beach, so you should also increase their 'Lifetime' too, of [Particle.0]

I've tried that, but ended up with waves going backwards.

I suspect that getting realistic-looking surf is easier said then done, unless you know your way around fx files. Can anyone explain them in more detail, for example Lifetime, Fade In, Fade Out, X Scale Goal, etc!?

Regards.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 10:10pm
All this information is covered in the FSX SDKs. Look in the "Special Effects SDK" section of the "Environment kit" chapter of the SDK manual.

Jeff

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 12:48pm
By trial and error, I find that the following changes make a big improvement:

For Emitter.0 :
Rate=0.2, 0.2
Z Particle Velocity=2.5, 3.5

For Particle.0 :
Lifetime=4.5, 5.5
X Scale=25, 40
Y Scale=5, 10
Drag=0.1, 0.15

I've deleted Emitter (etc) .1 completely, which I think is for the receding waves.

Hope the above helps.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 1:22pm
Phil,

Thanks for this information.

Jeff

momo737 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 1:52pm
Thanks Phil!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic