SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UTXEuropeV2 installation on FSXSE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mervynh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UTXEuropeV2 installation on FSXSE
    Posted: August-04-2015 at 9:19am
I have purchased and attempted to install UTXEuropeV2.1 on my Windows 8.1 computer but after telling me the (data files) installation was successful, it then cannot validate the installation because it can't find scenery.cfg. It is looking in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX, despite the fact that I selected Steam Edition in the setup. On my system Scenery.cfg is in C:\Program Data\ Microsoft\FSXSE\. After getting the validation error the first time, I went into the C:\Program Data\Microsoft folder, (re)created an FSX sub-folder and copied the current scenery.cfg from my FSXSE sub-folder into it. Nevertheless on re-running the installation I still get the same message at the validation stage, despite the required file now being present. I believe I have the folder structure that I have because I installed FSXSE while I still had the legacy FSX on the system, though I have now removed the latter including any registry entries. Is there no way to point the validation software at the FSXSE location and why doesn't creating the correct FSX location work. I would welcome (obviously) a solution to this problem.

mervynh
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 1:29pm
As noted in this old post on this, sadly uninstalling boxed FSX does not correctly remove all of its Windows registry entries and this can lead to issues when FSX Steam Edition is installed. This then causes problems with installers. In you case things were further complicated in that you installed FSX SE while FSX boxed was still on the system and then removed it afterwards. This will have any surviving registry entries pointing to the wrong locations and manual modifications of folder structures will just confuse the issue.

If you follow the links in the post I mention, I do give a method to completely wipe all files and regsitry entries for FSX boxed and FSX SE from a system so that you can move forward properly for now and the future. It is here.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
mervynh View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mervynh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 5:36pm
Jeff,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have read through your procedure to cure the problem. One major difficulty I have with it is that I already have a large number of scenery and aircraft addons - e.g. I have 384 entries in my Scenery.cfg - all of which work fine and the thought that I would have to remove everything and reinstall it all again from scratch is horrifying and I am very reluctant to do that. As it happens, after I decided I did not want the boxed FSX on my system I took almost all the steps you suggest in relation to that version including the registry delete (the only exception being the Flight Simulator X Files in 'Documents' (not My Documents - I have windows 8.1), though it seems unlikely that flight plans etc would cause a problem and I didn't want to lose the many flights I had saved). I didn't of course remove anything from FSX-SE and as you say a reinstall of that would cure the problem I'm sure, but it could well take me several weeks to get back to where I was before I purchased UTX. I have made sure that the registry is pointing to FSX-SE and only to it. 
If this is your only solution then I have to weigh up whether UTX is worth it. It is almost as drastic as reformatting the drive! 
Incidentally since my original post I have been able to get UTX Europe V2.1 into my scenery library by adding the various elements manually, and rearranging at the appropriate position in the list. It would appear all I am currently short of is the functionality and flexibility of the setup program. 
Mervyn

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2015 at 6:24pm
I can appreciate that you have a lot of other items installed. The issue you are in is that when you install FSX-SE into a system which already has FSX boxed (or the remnants of it) is that it creates registry entries which are different than if you install just FSX-SE on its own. This is what may come back to bite you in the future (and already in the case of UTX which does more than just put a few entries in the scenery.cfg - there are required entries in the terrain.cfg as well).

With all your manual intervention I cannot reliably indicate what you need to do to try and rewire things. The first step would be at least for you run the UTX Setup Tool, and under the "Sim" menu select the "Change Sim Location" to make sure that it points at the correct location of the FSX SE executable.

From then on I'd need a lot more information on exactly what all the registry values you have for the FSX/FSX-SE installation, along with folder names and locations to even begin to try and recommend any other changes.

Jeff

mervynh View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mervynh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2015 at 2:59pm
Jeff,
Thanks again. I think you have just about convinced me that starting again from scratch would be the best course of action. I did run the setup program and it confirmed that it is pointing to the correct location for FSX-SE, but it did not have an entry in the registry box, and checking terrain.cfg suggested no amendments have been made since well before I tried installing utx europe v2.1. The registry entry for FSX-SE has 6 lines: (Default) REG_SZ (value not set), Co-existence  REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1), FirstTime REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0), Language REG_SZ ENU, Simconnect_Port_IPv4 REG_SZ 0, Simconnect_Port_IPv6 REG_SZ 0. I suppose the second entry refers to the fact that the boxed version was present when I installed FSX-SE. Then there is a sub-folder "10.0" which contains two lines: (Default) REG_SZ (value not set) and AppPath REG_SZ C:|ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\... which is the correct location. It would be interesting to know what the entries would look like if I had uninstalled the boxed version before installing FSX_SE. I must say it doesn't seem to say very much? 
One last thing, how important is it to completely remove all of my addons from my system? I have counted 48 separate entries for FSX addons in my Programs and Features folder which could be uninstalled, but I have a significant number of scenery and aircraft addons which don't have uninstall programs. These are mainly photoscenery but also include several sections of ORBx scenery. 
I would be grateful for any further comments you can make before I take the plunge.
Mervyn
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2015 at 6:28pm
I need to give some background as to what happens when you install FSX-SE either on its own or on a system which has (or had) FSX boxed on it.

If FSX-SE is installed on a system which never had FSX boxed on it does its best to pretend to be FSX boxed when it comes to many registry entries. When FSX-SE is installed on a system with FSX boxed (or remnants of it) it creates different entries. Yours is operating in the latter, when it should be the former.

Trying to patch things in the registry to correct this may break some of your other installed add-ons. But this is what things look like in a FSX-SE version only:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
 -SOFTWARE
   -Microsoft
     -Microsoft Games

-Flight Simulator
          (Default)    REG_SZ    (value not set)
          SimConnect_Port_IPv4    REG_SZ    0
          SimConnect_Port_IPv6    REG_SZ    0
            AppPath    REG_SZ    C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\...

-Flight Simulator - Steam Edition
          Co-existence    REG_DWORD    0x00000000 (0)
          FirstTime    REG_DWORD    0x00000000 (0)
          Language    REG_SZ    ENU

So note that amongst other changes the '10.0' sub-section location is now under 'Flight Simulator' and not 'Flight Simulator - Steam Edition'. Also note that Co-existance is now '0' i.e. there is no FSX-Boxed.

So one thing you could try to do at your own risk is (after saving a copy of your current registry for Microsoft Games and its contens) is to make all the above changes to see if this helps.

Jeff

mervynh View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mervynh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2015 at 6:19am
Thanks for that Jeff. 
Would I be correct in saying that when "it does its best to pretend to be FSX" this also applies to the scenery.cfg and fsx.cfg locations i.e. there are no FSX-SE folders in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\ , C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ and C:\Users\<User>\AppData\roaming\Microsoft\ only FSX folders? 
I am also aware that the Orbx folder in FSX contains several .xml files which I had to edit to point to FSX-SE registry locations and the above folders so that FTX Central can find the files it modifies, and these will need to be changed back if I edit the registry. I don't think I have any other sceneries that install such files but will look through their folders.
Mervyn
JAPI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2015 at 8:34am
just installed UTX Europe. No problem.... but when i run it, i get the message can not find the scenery.cfg.
In the past i've used FSX box and in march 2015 i installed fs steam. I don't use FSX Box anymore but it was still on my computer.
By installing UTX Europe i assigned it at FS Steam.
Now i've deleted FSX Box completely on my computer but the problem isn' t fixed.
How can i solve this problem. In the documentation of UTX Europe is clearly indicated that the version 2 is prepared for FSX Steam ??

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2015 at 11:29pm
JAPI, what you describe is a similar issue to the one Mervyn has reported.

As noted in my first reply in this thread, see this old thread on how to best resolve the issue (which is removal of all traces of FSX boxed, FSX Steam Edition and add-ons and start again as you mean to stay i.e. FSX Steam Edition only).

If not, you can try to follow along with the suggestions I am giving Mervyn.

Jeff

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2015 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by mervynh mervynh wrote:

Would I be correct in saying that when "it does its best to pretend to be FSX" this also applies to the scenery.cfg and fsx.cfg locations i.e. there are no FSX-SE folders in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\ , C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ and C:\Users\<User>\AppData\roaming\Microsoft\ only FSX folders?

Yes. With only FSX-SE you have:

C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX
    (where the Scenery.CFG is)

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
    (where fsx.CFG is - not called fsx_se.cfg as it would under an FSX-SE folder)

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX
    (where the Shaders and Shaders10 sub-folders are)

Note the terrain.cfg and fsx.exe are in the main FSX Steam Edition folder which is
  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Jeff

JAPI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2015 at 10:28am
Thanks for the information but i am just a simply user of FSX SEEmbarrassed and i don't know anything about "hidden files" or "windows registry". I just enjoy flying......
So i'am very disappointed that i can't use UTX Europe version 2.1Cry
Is there really no other way to make it work by releasing a new installer who can assign the software UTX automatic to FSX SE  (perhaps an upgrade ??).

Kind regards 

JAPI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2015 at 10:56am
Addition to my previous post : Allen Kriesman, director of ScenerySolutions, says that they are developping a multiplatform installer for the utx software. Can you give some information about it ?

Thanks
mervynh View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mervynh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2015 at 11:53am
Jeff,
I have made the registry changes you suggested, and tidied up the folder in Program Data and Users\<user>\AppData\ to have just the one FSX folder (renamed from FSX-SE), uninstalled and reinstalled UTX Europe2.1 and, apart from the fact that the UTX entries are at the top of my scenery library list, which I can sort out, it installed perfectly, updating terrain.cfg and validating correctly. Thanks for your help.
Mervyn
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2015 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by mervynh mervynh wrote:

it installed perfectly, updating terrain.cfg and validating correctly. Thanks for your help.

Glad that it is working now without you needing to uninstall and reinstall everything.

Jeff

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2015 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by JAPI JAPI wrote:

developping a multiplatform installer for the utx software. Can you give some information about it ?

It is what you have in the latest UTX V2.x products and used to select the FSX Steam Edition.

There is a PDF document explaining it installed alongside the UTX Install Manager software and can be opened by clicking on the 'Help (PDF)' button in the bottom left of the UTX Install Manager dialog.

Jeff

JAPI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2015 at 2:55pm
Hi Jeff,

Finally it works. There are no error messages anymore after launching the setup tool.
Question : when i look in my scenery library  in FSX-SE there are no ut*.* files.
In the scenery.cfg They are present.
Is this normal ?

Thanks
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2015 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by JAPI JAPI wrote:

Question : when i look in my scenery library  in FSX-SE there are no ut*.* files.
In the scenery.cfg They are present.
Is this normal ?

When you mention "my scenery library" do you mean as seen in the FSX-SE settings dialogs, or in the "Scenery" folder inside the main FSX-SE folder (where the FSX-SE.exe is)?

If you mean the "Scenery Library" as seen in the setting dialog, you should definitely see a number of entries for UTX scenery entries if the product is correctly installed. If you mean the "Scenery" folder, then there are not UT*.* files there but there should be a number of Ut* folders.

Next when you mention the scenery.cfg which contains UTX entries, exactly where is it located? There are at usually two scenery.cfg files. One which is the one used by the sim and is the one who's entries are displayed in the "Scenery Library" settings dialog, and the other is a base template which is use as the original copy when the sim is first installed.

Jeff

JAPI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2015 at 12:51pm
Hi,
Yes i have 2 scenery folders :
1 in c:\program files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\fsx\scenery.cfg : when i open this file, i find ut* subfolders
2 in c:\users\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx-se\scenery.cfg : when i open this file, i find different areas and ut area from area 121 to area 131

When i run FSX-SE and go to settings dialog and the scenery library, i don't see any ut area.

For your information : my installation of UTX Europe was succesful. Before lanching the ut setuptool i have to rename  c:\users\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx-se to fsx and the ftx_se.cfg to ftx.cfg
Than i launch the setuptool.It runs perfect and quick.It indicates that it is activ.(green checks)
I rename the fsx folder and the fsx.cfg into fsx-se and fsx_se.cfg in c:\users\appdata\roaming\microsoft.
Finally i launch fsx-se, go to settings dialog and scnery library. In that folder i don't find any ut*
Thanks   
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2015 at 3:19pm
As I noted in my initial posts to you in this thread, your system is in an inconsistent state between FSX and FSX-SE. In fact, the information you provide about the scenery.cfg file locations makes it very clear that things are wrong. All these manual renamings you are doing is not resolving the core issue and this is why you are having the latest issues you are reporting.

It is also made more difficult as you are not providing the information requested. This is unfortunately likely because of language understanding (I do not speak Flemish, French or German either at all, or to a level which I could hold this technical discussion in). For example I ask about folders (which are places in Windows in which files are located) and you reply about scenery.cfg's which are files not folders.

So while I can continue to try and assist you, until you address the core issue as I recommended in my initial replies, it will be extremely difficult to get the installation to work correctly if at all.

Jeff

JAPI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 9:33am
Hi Jeff,

Ok i understand, it will be difficult to assist me because i realise that my  computer system is really in an inconsistent state between FSX and FSX-SE.Cry In fact i am also a computer "nerd".
But.... what do you think if i'll install FSX Steam and UTX Europe again from scratch on my second computer ?
I guarantee you there has never been  an installation of FSX boxed or another game of microsoft on it.
Shall i have also problems ? Is it worth to try it ?

Thanks

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 5:01pm
As we have many successful installations of UTX Europe on FSX boxed, FSX-SE and P3D you should not see any issues if you install just FSX-SE and UTX Europe V2.1 on a system which has never had any FSX on it previously.

Jeff

JAPI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 6:33am
Ok i' ve reinstalled fsx se and utx europe on my other computer and it works perfectly. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic