SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

utx tac2 can't complete install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NM_Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: utx tac2 can't complete install
    Posted: January-07-2021 at 12:19pm
Hello,  I can't get past the install manager page that insists I use FSX:Steam Edition.  I used and have now deleted that version.  I am using Boxed Gold Edition on my D drive.  But the installer will not do anything except the steam address.  What do I do now?  Alienware R11 and Windows 10.  Regards, Stan
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 12:04am
I think you are seeing a problem because the uninstaller for FSX: Steam Edition (and FSX Boxed for that matter) do not correctly clean up all the Windows registry entries.

While there are old posts dealing with how to sort this out when you go from having had Boxed, removed that and then installing Steam, this is the first time I can remember someone going the other way. Solution will be similar, but not the same.

How technically savvy are you with things like the Windows registry editor?

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
NM_Stan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NM_Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 12:44pm
Hello Jeff,  I had a variety of issues with FS:Steam, not to mention the expense.  I have cleaned the registry but still get the same issue "FSX Steam Edition" in both white windows and the inability to get it to accept anything in the location box.  Is there any work around if I load it for the steam version?  Both Steam and the Boxed FSX are on D drive.  Thanks for the help.  Regards, Stan
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 11:06pm
Confused now. Have you deleted FSX Steam? The statement you make that "Both Steam and the Boxed FSX are on D drive" speaks against this.

As the solution will be different depending on what is/is not installed, and the state of all the various Windows registry entries for FSX (Boxed/Steam/Combination of the two) it is important to provide an accurate statement of where things are currently.

Also as requested in my previous reply, how technically savvy are you with things like the Windows registry editor? I really need to see how things are there for the FSX entries once I know what you have/have not go installed.

Jeff

NM_Stan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NM_Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2021 at 9:36pm
Hello Jeff,  There is no indication in your description of UTX-TAC that it can apparently only be installed on FSX:SteamEdition using a pre-installed and unchangeable choice in the installer.  I tried to resolve this specific issue and have, in my opinion, received a bit of a run around.  I want a refund of the cost and any taxes I paid for this program.  Regards, Stan
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2021 at 2:12pm
You have not gotten a runaround

This is a very old and very well known issue

A. If you had FSX Steam installed and then uninstalled it and installed FSX box the target for FSX box will not be correct because of a MICROSOFT/STEAM issue that was never fixed in both FSX box and FSX Steam..  the registry is not removed correctly during the uninstall of FSX Steam. (can happen with FSX Box too)

B. If you never uninstalled FSX Steam but simply added FSX box then the issue is different. In order to run both versions of FSX on the same system you must FIRST install FSX Box on a clean Windows FSX registry and THEN when FSX Steam is installed it will DETECT that FSX box is present and CHANGE the registry so both work side-by-side with no confusion to product installers that are FSX Steam aware.

In the event FSX Steam is installed first and FSX box after it, the registry will not be valid and NEITHER WILL THE CONTROL FOLDER NAMES because FSX Box can not detect FSX Steam and will not change the registry or the names of the control file folders in order for both to work side by side. 

Synopsis of the above.. In the following scenarios; 

a. Install FSX Steam/Uninstall FSX Steam and then install FSX Box

b. Install FSX Steam and then Install FSX Box

Installers will FAIL to locate the FSX Box installation because of the MICROSOFT and STEAM issues whereby the registry is not correctly edited, AND in the event of 'B' the control folder names are incorrect. 

There is no runaround going on and Jeff is trying to help you by editing the registry manually assuming FSX Steam was UNINSTALLED and is not currently on the system. After that if you want to reinstall FSX Steam you can because the FSX Steam installer will find FSX box and make the correct registry entries.

However, if FSX Steam IS currently still installed it will not work with FSX Box at all. The only way it will work is if you uninstall FSX Steam completely, clean the FSX registry correctly manually, install FSX Box first, then install FSX Steam after a reboot from install of FSX Box

After that all the (both available and system hidden) control file targets will be named separately by the FSX installers: 

FSX

FSX-SE

That's all there is to it.  An no runarounds.   

This isn't a Flight1 or UTX issue, it is a well known Microsoft FSX Box and FSX Steam issue.

And then there is one other possible issue involved too.. because your registry was messed up by FSX Steam/FSX Box the install manager for UTX (any version) might not be able to correct itself and it's own config file entry and may need to be uninstalled completely after the ABOVE is corrected and then reinstalled so it properly reads/writes the correct path's and simulator versions.

This comes down to Microsoft AND Steam developers not working together and their problems between the two formats. And you not knowing how how to deal with it or understanding the real problem.

It can be fixed and work perfectly from that point forward, but YOU may not like what has to be done to correct it. It has nothing to do with runarounds, Flight1 or UTX.

And I can tell you right now there are many other addons you are going to run into the same issue with if you do not fix this problem correctly, NOW.

or get a refund and find out yourself.

Big smile
NM_Stan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NM_Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2021 at 1:38pm
To me it seems simple.  Leave the box blank and let me install it on my machine where I want.  I cannot change the arbitrary entry in the installer; it is just that simple.  Regards, Stan
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2021 at 3:49pm
How can you simply enter a assumed target path when the simulators have specific directories that must be named correctly for the version of Flight sim installed AND based on FSX Steam, FSX Box OR if both are installed different directory names?

As was clearly stated, this is not a Flight1 or UTX issue, it is a Microsoft and Steam issue that they never addressed or fixed years ago and users/developers (not just UTX) must deal with it occasionally when the situation arises. 

The problem Stan is you assume something is easy, when you do not understand how the two flight simulator applications (Box or Steam) work in with registry/Windows when they are installed together or introduced to a system in the wrong order. 

You never answered Jeff's question about how in one statement you suggest that FSX Steam was uninstalled and then FSX Box was installed and then in another suggested both are installed on the D drive. That makes a huge difference in how to address a repair of the problem.

And after that, it appears instead of answering his question (which I would have asked too as well) that you simply decide to accuse someone of giving you a run-around and you will just get a refund.

Then I suggest, get a refund. Big smile

If anyone is getting a run-around, it is Jeff who is genuinely trying to help you fix the problem without having to remove your simulator installations and start over assuming and if you have the technical ability to edit the Windows registry and possibly a few other files without causing any other problems. 

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2021 at 4:15pm
I am still willing to work with you to try and get this issue resolved but as I do not have access to your system, or know the exact history of what was installed/uninstalled/reinstalled, I do need you to work the issue for me which does include answering any questions I do ask.

UTX TAC 2.x (and other UTX v2.x products) can be installed in both FSX Boxed, FSX Steam or on a system which has both. There are cases where because of the order the base sim products were installed/uninstalled/reinstalled that the Windows registry can be left in a 'confused' state which makes it difficult for third-party installers like ours which try to work with all three situations.

Nick correctly points out that names of registry entries, folders and config files do change depending on installations of the base sim(s) and so it is not a simple solution of pointing an install at a single folder and dump the contents in there.

So, if you still want help please let me know:

1) What is the exact state of your current system related to base sim products previously and currently installed, including the order they were installed/uninstalled/reinstalled.
2) How technically savvy are you with things like the Windows registry editor?

Jeff

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2021 at 4:33pm
Hey Jeff..  I'll bow out now

I just wanted him or anyone else reading the topic to understand that if FSX Steam was installed and removed and then FSX Box installed, OR if both are installed in the wrong order this is not the only addon application they are going to have issues with, it is simply the first one that was noticed.

I prefer everyone clearly understand that before deciding to abandon assistance because of the fact that there are going to be a lot more issues coming up if that installation issue is not addressed (regardless of the way it is fixed) correctly as soon as possible. Thumbs Up

It may actually be too late at this point because if FSX Steam was installed first and FSX box after without removing the Steam version (unknown for sure from the description thus far) the folders are not named separately which means the box version of FSX has overwritten and damaged the separate Steam control directories/file installation already..   

anyway, I hope you can still help the OP Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic