SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUTX FAQ - 3) Updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Topic: UTX FAQ - 3) Updates
    Posted: March-05-2009 at 3:17pm
The Ultimate Terrain X FAQ - Part 3

Updates

Q. Where can I find updates for UTX products?
A. All major updates for UTX products can be found on the Scenery Solutions Ultimate Terrain X Downloads for FSX web-page.

In addition to these, there are a number of small mini-updates or single file updates which are not part of the major updates. They are:

- Mini-updates for users of UTX USA, UTX Canada and UTX Europe if you also have FSX Acceleration installed. Further details and links to the mini-updaters can be found here.
- Single file patch for users of UTX Europe v1.5 to fix an error off the southern coast of the UK. Further details and a link to the single file update can be found here.
- Single file patch for users of UTX Europe v1.5 to fix an error on the coast of mainland Greece near the island of Corfu. Further details and a link to the single file update can be found here.
- Single file patch for users of UTX TAC v1.1 who also have UTX USA to address a change to the landclass in the Marquesas Keys, west of Key West, Florida. Further details and a link to the single file update can be found here.
- File deletion required for users of UTX TAC v1.1 to remove what appears as a large square of land off the coast of Nicaragua. Further details and instructions on which files to delete can be found here.

Q. How can I tell which version of UTX I have installed?
A. The version of the UTX product you have installed is displayed in the title bar of the UTX Setup Tool. You can also find it by selecting the menu item Help->About The Ultimate Terrain Setup Tool.

Q. Do the later UTX updates contain all the new features and fixes from the earlier updates?
A. No. You have to install the updates in sequence from the version you have to the latest one.

Q. I have Vista/Windows 7 installed on my PC, are there any steps I need to take when applying UTX updates?
A. To try and prevent issues with Vista/Windows 7's User Access Control (UAC), make sure that when you run the UTX updates you right-click on them and select "Run as administrator".

If you are still having issues attempting to run the updaters on Windows 7, one thing to try is booting your Windows 7 system in Safe Mode and running the updaters to see if that helps.

To boot Windows 7 in safe mode, restart your computer and when it starts tap the F8 key a few times until the Windows 7 advanced boot options screen appears. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode selection and then press the Enter key. When you have completed the updates, restart your PC normally.

Q. Are there any special preparation steps I need to take when installing the UTX updates?

A. All the necessary steps are detailed in the installation notes which accompany the update release.

For older updates you have to 'prepare' your UTX installation for the update by first running the UTX Setup Tool and selecting the 'Prepare Ultimate Terrain For Patch or Upgrade' from the 'Upgrade' menu. The update release notes will tell you if this step is needed.

Newer updates now feature a 'two-step' process. In this case you first run a UTXPATCH.EXE patch preparation step first. This unlocks the actual patch installer once the necessary preparation steps are completed. You then run the patch installer to installer the updates.

Make sure that you run FSX at least once in-between each update if you are applying multiple updates at the same time.

Q. I want to install the base Ultimate Terrain X product for an area and then all the updates in one go to get to the latest version, is this OK?
A. While you can install the base product and then the updates in turn, make sure that you run FSX at least once between each step. This is needed so that required entries get written into the FSX configuration files.

Q. When I try to run the UTX update installer the OS tells me that it is not a valid executable. What is wrong?

A. This could happen for a number of reasons:

- This is one of the newer 'two-step' UTX updates and you are trying to run the update installer without having first run the required UTXPATCH.EXE patch preparation step which unlocks the actual patch installer.
- You are trying to run the patch preparation step or the update installer directly from inside the Zipped file archive rather than extracting the files to a folder on your PC.
- You are trying to run the patch preparation step or the update installer directly from a read-only location such as from a CD or DVD.
- You have a corrupt download and need to redownload the update.
- Your OS or add-on security/malware protection is preventing the update patcher/installer from running.

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic