SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Flight1 General Discussion and Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ultimate Alaska X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultimate Alaska X
    Posted: June-12-2020 at 8:44pm
Purchased UltAlaska x in 2015 and have been using it in FSX eversince.  I just upgraded to P3Dv5.  Is UltAlaska compatible with P3Dv4 or P3Dv5?  If not is there and update that is compatible or is a P3D version of Ultimate Alaska available for purchase?
WilliamB

WilliamB
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2020 at 9:01pm
Unfortunately, no.

All other UTX versions (latest version downloads) can be used in P3Dv4 directly but for P3Dv5 requires user editing of the install manager control file..  not hard to do

WilliamB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 9:24pm
Nick,
I now understand there is not a Prepare3Dv5 installer for Ultimate Alaska X.  Is there a new version of the Ultimate Alaska X installer that is compatible with Prepare3dv4?  Is so how do I access the most recent installer for Ultimate Alaska X.  I have an account on Flight1.com showing my purchase of the software. 
I installed Ultimate Alaska X to a temporary folder.  I reviewed the AVSIM Forum post you sighted. It is clear to me that a Prepare3Dv4 installer for Ultimate X  is necessary if I am going to make the changes required to install UltAlaskaX in P3Dv5.

Thank you for your help.

William Butler
WilliamB
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2020 at 12:43pm
I answered that above, unfortunately no. There is no use of UT Alaska with P3D. Only the other UTX regional products can be used.
WilliamB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 7:50pm
Thank you for clarifying that for me Nick. Sorry you had to do it twice. I flew in western Alaska for 12 years and am very familiar with the area.  Ultimate Alaska X is by far the best/most accurate reproduction of land surface features available.  For example Orbx Southern Alaska Region does not depict the Kuskokwim River north of Bethel, a major feature in Western Alaska.  One last question can UltAlaska X be loaded in FSX-SE? 

Thanks for your patience.

William Butler

WilliamB
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 9:36pm
No problem..   I have never tried to hack/force a UT Alaska install into P3D. Its possible it could be done however due to the legalities around P3D/FSX back when that was all being developed I never really looked into it. Also, the tech that went into UT Alaska is different than the that of the UTX region products which are standard vector base landclass. It is possible there could be detrimental affects with the later versions of P3D because it was all new at the time for FSX.

I setup GEP3D to recognize and accept UT Alaska if the dev ever converted or posted a P3D installer for it so the GEP3D product would step-up the old UT graphics but they never did that so..

As for FSXSE.. assuming there has never been a FSX 'BOX' version installed on a system, the UT Alaska installer should see FSXSE as a regular-standard FSX box install and UT Alaska should install/work fine.

If a FSX 'box' install was installed at some point and then AFTER FSXSE was installed (Even if FSX was uninstalled) the FSXSE install registry will write different folders to the system assuming there is a 'COEXISTENCE' with FSX and have a different registry that the UT Alaska installers can not locate or handle correctly.

So as long as FSX 'box' was never ever installed on a system, yes.. UT Alaska should see it as FSX box and install/run fine with FSXSE.

WilliamB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 10:30pm
Nick,

I thought I would let you know.  My FSX Steam Edition was installed in  H:/steam/steamapps/common/FSX.  My Ultimate Alaska installer recognized the directory and installed with no problem.  FSX Steam Edition was a new/clean install.

Thanks for your help.

WilliamB
Sandia Park, NM
WilliamB
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 11:10pm
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic