SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WD6000HLHX raptor availability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rginn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD6000HLHX raptor availability
    Posted: May-20-2010 at 8:50pm

Hi All!

Nick has helped me put together the components for my new hardware, but I cannot find the 600gb raptor. It appears like the factory cannot keep up.

Does anyone know where I can pick one up? I live in the USA.

Thanks

Bob G

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 9:32pm

they are in short supply right now

Dell..   but you will pay

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A3688080&cs=04&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=27722&lid=628335

rginn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rginn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 9:40pm

Hey Nick, I am getting ready here to order. I just checked the link and they are out of stock too. wow. popular drive eh? I thought about the 300gb but it is not sata 2.

P.s. your mailbox is full Clap

Bob G

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 10:21pm

300GB is SATAII

and be very AWARE of this.. SATAIII is a marketing gimmick as much as SATAI to SATAII was. Unless you are on a professional controller card and I dont care what the motherboard onboard controller says, SATAIII is a joke

rginn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rginn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 10:50pm

Lack of knowledge can sure be expensive. Ok, so you and I talked about the amount of disk space left after an FSX install, and the importance of being able to position the data on a certain part of the disk to insure the fastest throughput. I do not wish to compromise,  but I just want to make sure I understand. I do not  remember my total gb install size but it will not be photo scenery as I do know using this takes considerable space. Currently addons would be UTX-GEX-PNW-LandClass-Mesh to mention the majors I believe. What would be the negative of a WD 300gb raptor vs the 600gb?

Regards

Bob

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 11:15pm

No negative..

as long as you do not exceed 200GB on the 300 Vrap or 415GB on the 600 Vrap it doesnt matter, same bat time.. same bat channel

rginn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rginn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 11:48pm

Thanks Bud!!

Headed to the hay but I will leave with one more question.  Is there any difference between the drives as far as response/latency times during data retrieval?

Bob

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 8:52am

You mean engineering performance specs?

yes, the 400/600 6Gb/s drives are by spec faster than the 3Gb/s versions and because of their platter size they are faster simply because of basic geometry

The drives will provide a higher burst than the 3Gb/s drives but the deal is, the larger cache and 6Gb/s buffer to host speed plays very little role in the performance of any SATA drive unless the drive is being run under enterprise conditions (controller cards) and in the case of motherboard ports, when a user is accessing them for sequential read/write files

This the part that confuses people.. We dont use our computers for sequential access in FSX and typical applications, we use it for random access.

Sequential read/write access is when you are watching a movie or pulling up one huge data file, or things like A/V editing where you are writing one or more massive size files to the drive. Under those conditions you are duplicating what typical benchmark programs do, which is read the disk across the platter and rate the response. The buffer to host and the cache will then kick in and show its muscle. Those sequential read benchmark results are in reality 'false' to our real world use. To see the effect and test the performance of a drive in random access/read we must use enterprise software such as I/O Meter and run our systems for a specified number of hours/days then review the data to find the true average random 'real world' read/write performance sits.

Random read/write with 'some' sequential read/write going on is how the typical user works with their computer. Thats an entirely different performance curve situation and one they dont post or display for hard drives because that type of test may not be very flattering to the marketing and cost of the drive. In that situation the newer Vraps are faster than their older siblings, but mainly because of the platter size more than the specs for latency.

One of the reasons why I specify O&O defrag and use of the NAME defrag is because of what I posted above.. FSX and many other programs work off of a alphanumeric file name system to call files into physical memory. When we NAME defrag the drive we are in fact creating a much more 'sequential read' situation and therefore taking much greater advantage of the cache and buffer to host speed within the 'burst'. By using the NAME defrag method we are in many ways assisting the drive by making our access requests more sequential, in example..

When you are flying and coming up on the next scenery boundary area the sim will call the next area into physical memory from the drive. If we have NAME defragmented the drive correctly, then those files will be located on the drive in alphanumerical order right next to each other in the sectors. That means the head of the drive is not seeking randomly for every single file but instead seeking randomly for 'sets' of files which reduces the random seek/read by quite a bit. A visual aid to how this works would be this list of autogen and ground textures being called that have been NAME defragmented:

Begin next area scenery load:

Scenery\World\Texture\023b2an1.agn <---- once this file is found, the next that will be called is right next to it on the sector
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2an2.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2an3.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2an4.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2an5.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2an6.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2an7.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2fa1.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2fa2.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2fa3.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2fa4.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2fa5.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2fa6.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\023b2fa7.bmp

-------------------- seek next set

Scenery\World\Texture\027b2an1.agn  <---- again, once this is found the rest follow suit on the drive
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2an2.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2an3.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2an4.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2an5.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2an6.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2an7.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2fa1.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2fa2.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2fa3.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2fa4.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2fa5.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2fa6.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\027b2fa7.bmp

-------------------- seek next set

Scenery\World\Texture\032b2an0.agn <-----  zippity-do-da Wink
Scenery\World\Texture\032B2an1.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032B2an2.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032B2an3.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032B2an4.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032B2an5.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032B2an6.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032B2an7.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2an8.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2an9.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2ana.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2anb.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2anc.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2and.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2ane.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2anf.agn
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa0.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa1.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa2.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa3.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa4.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa5.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa6.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa7.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa8.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2fa9.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2faA.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2faB.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2faC.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2faD.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2faE.bmp
Scenery\World\Texture\032b2faF.bmp

etc, etc, etc  and the cycle continues till all files are read

And because they are all on the first physical partition of the drive and compacted to the outer sectors of the drive and in NAME order, the drive head is literally 'skimming' through the track with little or no bouncing around, so to speak.. this translates to FAR LESS CPU TIME as well which in turn goes to the game instead of the file system

Therefore we have made our file system far more "sequential read access" friendly and that is what takes real advantage of the SATA system and the SATA drives cache/buffers

and to add to this... the reason AHCI/NCQ hinders SINGLE USER drive performance is because in between those reads the drive is going though unnecessary cycles in the command. In MULTI USER environments those commands are a BLESSING to access and call files to different user stations but the operations are nothing but HIGH LATENCY or pauses to a single user, therefore its best to run single user drives in ENHANCED IDE mode instead of AHCI/NCQ

With SSD that is just the opposite! We want AHCI/NCQ operations with SSD because there is absolutely NO mechanical WAIT STATE time being imposed on the drive read operation and with SSD NCQ has been advanced far past what a typical mechanical hard drive can do with it

rginn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rginn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:17am

Nick, I feel so bad. I read my question and I see why you wrote such a long explanation.

What I was really asking LOL, is whether the 300gb is as fast as the 600gb?

Sorry Nick, I really need to reread my own questions before posting.

I do sincerely thank you for this lesson though!!!!

Regards

Bob

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 1:50pm

I answered, .. its 'nearly' the same but in the right conditions the 600 is always going to be faster, just not blazing over the 300

steve_1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 2:42pm
It seem that almost every day I learn somthing new from reading Nick's detailed explanations to other people's problems. I already use O&O thanks to your tuning guide but it's always nice to understand 'how' and 'why' these things work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic