SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Reality XP - Unofficial Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFull Product Updates - 06MAY10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reality XP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full Product Updates - 06MAY10
    Posted: April-14-2010 at 9:42pm
Hi,

I'm sorry for the lack of participation lately. I've been quite busy tracking all support issues reported, enhancing the installers further (especially for the GNS WAAS FS/XPlane) and all this in the middle of the migration of the main development system from Windows XP/32 to Windows 7/64, while at the same time migrating the main admin system (the one I'm using to email/go to forum) from Windows XP/32 to Mac OSX! And there I'm back, a little latter than what I expected, but we a number of major changes.

First, we have finally identified the root of the issue affecting all our GNS WAAS XPlane + Win7 customers, and we have now updated the products accordingly. As a side effect, given the nature of the issue, we have decided to also update all other FS products with the same changes.

Then, the two previous FS products updates where crashing in FS9, most of the time. This is now solved. I'm sorry it took so long but it just happened when we released the updates and started the system migrations outlined above.

Last but not least, all our releases include the new auto-update system. Unfortunately, the shared component that is responsible for communication with our servers was only included in the installers. This means that no check was being made when flying the products. To install the component, just download and install one of your RXP product using the latest version published yesterday 06MAY10 around 19:30 EST, and this will install the component for all the other RXP products you have as well.

Software Updates

Speaking of software updates, we have further streamlined the update information repository. As of now, all software updates are available:

1) when you install a RXP product, the installer offers the choice to "check now" for an update, in addition to "enable" auto-update for in-game (when flying our gauges) check.

2) when you fly with our gauges, provided the option was selected during installation, it will check once a day for updates. Should you want to change this setting, just run the installer again, deselect all components (like gauges, docs etc...) and select the option for auto-update.

3) directly as RSS feeds. The central hub for all feeds is available directly in our software update page with more information about RSS:

http://www.reality-xp.com/support/updates/index.html

4) on each product knowledge base pages, you also have RSS feed for the product, like on this page:

http://www.reality-xp.com/support/knowledgebase/gnswaas-fsx.html

This is very convenient. You can opt to subscribe to the RSS feed, and any time we release updates, you'll get notifications directly in your mail program for example (if your email program supports RSS feeds, like Apple Mail), in addition to the check done within the software itself when you are flying with our products.

Important notes about latest updates

All products have been updated with a new solution that solves the incompatibility between our products and X-Plane under Win7/64 like explained above. It is mandatory that you update ALL your RXP products with any update published after 03MAY10. In other words, don't use a GNS WAAS released after 03MAY10 and a Wx500 or FLT/N released before 03MAY10. Just update all your products with the latest version released.

Important changes for GNS WAAS

Since our update released on 27APR10, we have made a significant change in the GNS WAAS installer. It no longer includes the Garmin Trainer in order to save download time whenever you update your product. In addition, the Garmin Trainer download and installation takes place from within the product installer, which guides you through, step by steps. The installer also perform a number of sanity checks and warns you in case it detects anything that might prevent the product to run normally. Right before files are copied to the drive, installer shows a summary of what actions it will take. This give you an opportunity to review that everything is alright. This will make installation a better experience.

Next Steps

So the best course of action now, is to update ALL your products to the latest version. To proceed, it is very simple:

1) go to http://www.reality-xp.com/support/updates/index.html, open the RSS feeds, download the installers for all the products you have, and review the published notes.

2) carefully read the Software Updates page ( http://www.reality-xp.com/support/updates/index.html ) for detailed information about what/how to reinstall the products (updates come in two forms).

2) once downloaded, use the Reinstall procedure with these (downloaded) ecommerce installers and your purchase key/password. A step-by-step guide is in our FAQ ( http://www.reality-xp.com/store/faq.html ), in the How do I reinstall my software? topic.
Jean-Luc
soundrats View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundrats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 9:16am
Hello Jean Luc,

is it necessary to reinstall the Garmin Trainer as well? Or is it ok to reinstall only your software. I purchased 3 weeks go. GNS 500 for xplane.

cheers tom
Reality XP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reality XP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 2:54pm
When running the installer, it offers a list of choices which are:

Product Files and Plugin for X-Plane 9
Product Documentation
Install/Repair Garmin GNS WAAS Trainer (mandatory for first installation)

and like it says:

mandatory for first installation

So in short, if you have already installed the Trainer, just skip this option!

UNLESS

you need to Repair Garmin GNS WAAS Trainer!
Jean-Luc
Romeo_Tango View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romeo_Tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 6:04pm

If I do the reinstall of my RXP 530, will I have to re-install all the updates  including the manual AIRAC update that I just did?

MatzeH84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatzeH84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 6:21pm
Concerning the Wx500 for FSX, it works great now, really fun to use it! Good work, thank you! Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reality XP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Romeo_Tango Romeo_Tango wrote:

If I do the reinstall of my RXP 530, will I have to re-install all the updates  including the manual AIRAC update that I just did?

No, provided your Garmin Trainer installation is correct and working alright already!
Jean-Luc
wilburpif90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilburpif90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 10:05am
I do not want to use auto-update for anything.  Besides, I always fly offline so, something automatically trying to connect is not commesurate with my system.  I just got done installing/reinstalling several separate rxp products just a couple of days ago.  Now there is another set of comprehensive updates!  Other than auto-update, what are my options?  Do I have to download everything yet again, and reinstall from the wrappers.  It would be nice if there was an option to manually check for updates via the GNS/FLT/FLN configurators (and if there is, forgive my ignorance, I'm not sitting at that computer right now to double check).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reality XP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 9:44am
Originally posted by wilburpif90 wilburpif90 wrote:

I do not want to use auto-update for anything.  Besides, I always fly offline so, something automatically trying to connect is not commesurate with my system.  I just got done installing/reinstalling several separate rxp products just a couple of days ago.  Now there is another set of comprehensive updates!  Other than auto-update, what are my options?  Do I have to download everything yet again, and reinstall from the wrappers.  It would be nice if there was an option to manually check for updates via the GNS/FLT/FLN configurators (and if there is, forgive my ignorance, I'm not sitting at that computer right now to double check).

You can manually check for updates and disable/enable auto-updates in running the product installer, which is supposed to be saved in your C:\RealityXP\ folder. All options are further detailed here:

Besides, auto-updates for now are offering full installer downloads (they are not yet updating individual files, we are working on that). Most of the time, the full ecommerce installer downloads, and sometimes, it is the setup program directly (it depends on the product and might change in the future - this difference depends on the product specifications. For example, the GNS WAAS is the setup installer since it is shared between 430 and 530, while FLT or FLN are ecommerce installers)

Jean-Luc
soundrats View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundrats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Reality XP Reality XP wrote:

Originally posted by wilburpif90 wilburpif90 wrote:

You can manually check for updates and disable/enable auto-updates in running the product installer, which is supposed to be saved in your C:\RealityXP\ folder. All options are further detailed here:

Besides, auto-updates for now are offering full installer downloads (they are not yet updating individual files, we are working on that). Most of the time, the full ecommerce installer downloads, and sometimes, it is the setup program directly (it depends on the product and might change in the future - this difference depends on the product specifications. For example, the GNS WAAS is the setup installer since it is shared between 430 and 530, while FLT or FLN are ecommerce installers)

hello jean luc - I get so many mails concerning those forum that I am a bit confused. In april when you released the full update I did that update and I updated the airac as well as you recommended in another topic. Am I up to date with that or is there anything new what you recommend to install. sorry but I am really confused....
cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reality XP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 2:07pm
This is very easy: just follow the RSS feed, like documented here:

This is the main feed hub. Once displayed/subscribe, you can go to individual products feed. Once you go to individual feeds, it should be self-explanatory.

However, it looks like a number of persons do not open the feeds first to see what it is about. So in short, once you land on the product feed, depending on your RSS reader/aggregator (I just use my browser), you should have a download link to the installer (quite obvious given the name of the link, such as rxpGNS-Setup.exe, and a "Read more..." link. Don't be afraid clicking on it! you'll see what it is about!
Jean-Luc
Brian W Keske View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian W Keske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 3:19am
Thanks for the updates Hey Jean-Luc.

I don't use RSS feeds, but heck, I'll give it a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic