SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Win XP64 and Windows7 Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 3:13pm

XPx64 SP2c is the same as XPx32 SP3, no difference except Windows Update will complete the process. XPx64 is not SP3, its Sp2c.. same thing

There is no "BEST" OS for performance, they are all the same as long as you are comparing 64bit to 64bit and 32bit/32bit

Choosing a OS is about features. The only important part is its a 64bit OS

The OS features differ from the home/pro/premium and so on versions.

Windows7 is a more modern OS and as such it will provide more modern features which pertain to newer hardware and software. There is no DX10 in WindowsXP, that only comes with Vista/W7 and DX11 as I recall is W7 only

So as time goes on and if you want support for newer games that use DX10 and later DX11, you should be on Windows7

There is a learning curve with it like any other new OS.

cassis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 4:27pm

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your help.

Now you are saying that a lot depends on the Bios setup. I have to admit that I installed my Intel motherboard P5P together with a i7 865 cpu and just left the Bios as it is (with all options activated such as hyperthreating).

Are there any specific changes I should have made ?

Thank you

Greg

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 10:35pm

I dont know much of anything about your motherboard, processor or the memory you are running.

I have never worked with the 860 procs or their boards

The first order of business when building is on initial bootup to enter the BIOS and correctly set the memory speed/timing with the correct UCLK speed and in many cases also set the correct memory voltage for the product you purchased.

It is possible some boards may set these items up correctly but I have rarely seen that with better hardware.

Also, the default BIOS sets up the proc to be throttled by Intel speedstep/CE support. I always disable those items and turn off hyperthread too if I am clocking and using the system for FSX since HT does nothing but heat up the processor and FSX will not use HT at all.

People mistake the Windows Task Manager readout showing activity when its false.Unlike processors of the past,  i7 has a physical cache attached to each physical core that is dedicated to HT and the if the software is not HT aware (FS9/FSX isnt) then the cache is mistaken for a physical core existing and a thread is spawned but is ignored. That is why people see activity in the task manager with HT enabled. The HT threads are doing nothing in FSX.

Only software can use HT will take advantage of the feature.

As for setting up your BIOS.. your motherboard manual should have a complete BIOS list and explanations for those settings.

The memory you purchased should be running the speed and timing it is designed to run.

You can use the software CPUz in Windows to check the CPU, Mainboard and Memory tabs to verify what the system components are doing.

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_154_setup.exe

If the memory speed and timing does not match the spec of the memory you bought, then the BIOS is not set up correctly

Also, the NB Frequency on the Memory tab is the UCLK. It should be 4x the DRAM Frequency shown on the memory tab in CPUz (2x what it shows in the BIOS for DRAM F) . If it is not in spec then the BIOS is not set correctly.

Some motherboard dont allow access to settings.. and buying a motherboard is based on what you are trying to do.

This person had his BIOS set on AUTO..   

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=34246&PID=198705#198705

AUTO is only as good as the BIOS programmer, and since he/she didnt buy the memory or other parts thats why they made the MANUAL settings Wink

gjpollitt3278 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjpollitt3278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 3:13am
Tried Win 7 Ultimate 64 but have too many issues with pixels 'sparkling', black spikes, tiles flashing etc

tried different drivers, nhancer settings, tweaked as the guide etc but am not happy

Thankfully have ghost images of my XP64 c:\ and scenery f:\ so am now reghosting those back to how I was a few days ago.

Have also ghosted the Win 7 install that I did in case I decide to revisit in future but for me, with my current hardware and available tweaking/faffing around time, XP64 is the most stable.

IrishBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 11:39am

Hi Jeff,

I am not sure what stage you are at with your XP64 install since it was posted earlier this April, but I can tell you this. Coming from 10 years of computer and networking support, I can tell you that XP64 was the biggest nightmare Cry, (besides Windows ME) that came down the pike. It was a terrible OS from the start and I do not recommend anyone using it at all. It was produced with way to many bugs that Microsoft has never addressed, and if you have not abandoned it already, I suggest you seriously think about it. It has the most BSOD's I have ever seen in an OS, and I am not kidding. I currently fly FSX with Windows 7 64 bit, and have no complaints so far. I upgraded from Vista 64 last Christmas, and I have had no regrets. I didn't mind Vista 64 either to be frank, I just like the way Windows 7 lightened up the load of the OS. Can you suggest or recommend some decent aircraft and/or scenery addons that do not look cheap and operate pretty well? Good luck with your setup Wink.

Patrick

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 11:43am

horse manure

the only issues with XPx64 was driver support and hardware (with some older software applicationsome people just couldnt get PAST updating or changing them) when it was first released. As the drivers matured and developed the initial 'nightmare' issues stopped but it left such a bad impression in a lot of users minds, including so called "professionals" they wrongfully marked it as horrible

Sort of like what happened with Nvidia getting sued for the Vista drivers when Vista was first released and needed SP patching

although I do agree that Windows7 is the best OS since XP, it too as well as Vista is going through the same driver pains XPx64 did when it was first released and therefore you will see people post the same thing about those OS's too.

The bottom line is other than higher DX support FSX will not run a single frame better on XPx64, Vista x64 or W7 x64

Unlike XP x32 SP3 in which support is about to end, Xp x64 is supported to 2014.. yes, horrible OS for MS to support it and drop the 32bit version and Vista too!

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2010/02/24/end-of-support-for-windows-2000-windows-xp-sp2-and-windows-vista-rtm.aspx

Xpx64 will continue till 2014  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/end-support-windows-xp-sp2-windows-vista-without-service-packs?os=other

Support is ending for some versions of Windows

•Support for Windows Vista without any service packs ended on April 13, 2010.

•Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) will end on July 13, 2010.*

Note: There's no SP3 for the 64-bit version of Windows XP. If you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP with SP2, you have the latest service pack and will continue to be eligible for support and receive updates until April 8, 2014.

With time and new hardware coming out, Windows7 will be the preferred and required choice in the future. I do think it will do just fine but I would also like to see a SP released for it before I commit to it for FSX

Its like any other MS OS's    they all have growing pains, mostly driver development and they all need a SP or two before they mature as well as USERS who cant get over being the "guinea pig' and jumping on the bandwagon when a OS is first released..  and upgrade their hardware over time too!

LOL

raptorx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptorx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 12:32pm

I've been on XP 64 for 2 years now and it is rock solid.  No headaches at all.  Everything works.  I do regular OS reinstalls with it ONLY because I change motherboards often-tweaker that I am.  When W7 comes out with a service pack I might switch.

But there is something now that concerns me and that is it appears that the nvidia GTX480 does not have the best driver support for XP64.  I've been reading about this on AVSIM.  I don't know what's going on yet.  If it's a driver issue and can't be fixed then for me to get benefit from the new graphics card I would need to go to W7.

That's the only thing that would make me want to switch to W7 right now.  XP64 is a solid mature OS.

-Jim

jordanal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

Advanced Disk Cleanup
-Press the Windows + R keys, type cleanmgr /sagerun:50
(note - there is a space between the r and the /)
-Select the options you desire. Click OK and close out the window.

I would flush it all on a new install

REBOOT the computer

Nick, the above cmd didn't run anything, so I looked it up.  Should't the above be:

cleanmgr /sageset:50  ????  This seems to bring up the Disk Cleanup GUI with lots of options I have not seen before.

Al Jordan

FSX Rig: i7 2600k, 4.8GHz / Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Mushkin DDR3-1600 8GB / EVGA GTX 570 GPU / TX850 PSU / Graphite 600T Case
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 5:13pm

oppssss  typo!  YES

Thanks!!!

jordanal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 5:21pm

oppssss  typo!  YES

Thanks!!!

Cool, after setting the options (checkboxes) and pressing OK, when does it actually delete the files?  On the next reboot or on a scheduled task or something?  It didn't to anything for me after hitting the OK button.  Maybe have to run cleanmgr /sagerun to get it to actually execute the clean up?

Al Jordan

FSX Rig: i7 2600k, 4.8GHz / Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Mushkin DDR3-1600 8GB / EVGA GTX 570 GPU / TX850 PSU / Graphite 600T Case
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 5:37pm

Go to Start > Run > type cleanmgr /sageset:50 . Ensure there is a space between cleanmgr and / > click OK

In the resulting screen, choose your options by checking the boxes. Click OK

Go to Start > Run > type cleanmgr /sagerun:50 . click OK it will complete the process 

Sorry!

duckbilled View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbilled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 1:28pm
Thanks for putting together the W7 info.

Two questions:

I went through the defrag process before I noticed the cleanmgr /sageset:50 correction. Do I need to go back to that step and repeat all from that point forward?

After things are optimized, what type of maintenance do I need to do from a defrag standpoint? I am about to install all of the ORBX Australia stuff. I also currently have PNW and GEX. How do these complicate the defrag process? Do I need to re-defrag after the installations?

Thanks!
Windows 7 Pro 64bit; FSX Acceleration; ASN; REX 4 + Soft Clouds; FTX Global; EZCA; UT2

I7-4790k @ 4.6; Asus Maximus Formula VII; MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G; 16GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400; Corsair H110
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by duckbilled duckbilled wrote:

Thanks for putting together the W7 info.

Two questions:

I went through the defrag process before I noticed the cleanmgr /sageset:50 correction. Do I need to go back to that step and repeat all from that point forward?

After things are optimized, what type of maintenance do I need to do from a defrag standpoint? I am about to install all of the ORBX Australia stuff. I also currently have PNW and GEX. How do these complicate the defrag process? Do I need to re-defrag after the installations?

Thanks!

=========================================

When you get all your software and addons installed start OPTIMIZING Windows 7 and get O&O Defrag v12 installed too.

Begin OPTIMIZE...

=========================================

I thought that was clear. The goal is to get all the software installed first before you begin the cleanup process so all the temp files from installing all the software is properly flushed

And you would not run defrags on drives that still have software and addons to go in, its defeating the purpose Wink

After everything is complete from install to optimize to defrags then maintenance is based on your use and where FSX is located

When FSX is located on a drive away from Windows, there is little to do as long as you are not installing/uninstalling a lot of addons. A Complete\Name defrag about once every 90 days is fine just to keep things tidy

If you install a lot of large addons or make a lot of changes then its best to re-run the Name defrag after all that is done

If you install some small addons/aircraft a simple SPACE defrag is fine and then do a NAME defrag sometime down the road.. you need to make that call based on what you have added or removed.

IT IS NOT necessary to run defrags daily! or before FSX is run!  I see people posting they do that which is nonsense and its really a waste of time and wear/tear on a drive.

You should also flush your temp files before any defrag runs. You can use the same method posted for accessing the cleanmgr, selecting and then executing a flush

If you do not run FSX from another drive and instead use the Windows drive/partition your install is far more susceptible to disk fragmentation over time. Windows is constantly changing/accessing that partition and when it comes to maintenance you must play that one by ear as well and base it on how much installing/uninstalling/adding you do to not only the FSX install but Windows as well. Probably best to run a cleanup and defrag about once every 30 days in that situation.

SSD drives..   NEVER run a defrag on them. Best to run those in AHCI mode with the Intel RST drivers so TRIM is enabled, thats all they need if you are on Windows 7 because W7 will configure the OS for the drives automatically.. no other user changes are needed.

steve_1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:53pm

DX11 as I recall is W7 only

I think Vista supports DX11 too.

duckbilled View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckbilled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:58pm
Thanks Nick. FSX is on a dedicated drive.

As far as installing future software, Everything I own is installed. Maybe I wasn't clear - I am planning on buying the ORBX stuff in the near future and was wondering what I need to do when I eventually buy it or install other large add ons in the future.

Either way, you answered my question.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit; FSX Acceleration; ASN; REX 4 + Soft Clouds; FTX Global; EZCA; UT2

I7-4790k @ 4.6; Asus Maximus Formula VII; MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G; 16GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400; Corsair H110
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 7:04pm

ahhh., ok

the way you wrote that it read to me as if you ran the defrag on the FSX drive without installing your addons..   no problem Wink

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by steve_1979 steve_1979 wrote:

DX11 as I recall is W7 only

I think Vista supports DX11 too.

after checking on it, yes, that is correct..    doesnt matter anyway FSX wont use DX10 right much less DX11 Wink

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 10:58am

I have updates and changes that I will be adding to this guide and which I will be making a new complete thread sometime in the next few weeks.

I have better way to deal with the prefetch system now and a few other items that will improve performance

jordanal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 11:02am

Thanks Nick!  Also, see my Win7 integration experience post here (thanks to this thread):

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=284866

Big%20smile

Al Jordan

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 12:15pm

OK, here are the changes I have put into the thread and will compile for a single new sticky thread in a few days..  

I will start with the SERVICES list

DISABLED -

NOTE: REMEMBER, THESE SHOULD BE SAFE HOWEVER SOME SYSTEMS MAY REQUIRE SUPPORT FOR A FEW OF THESE. IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU USE YOUR SYSTEM AND WHAT YOU NEED FOR SUPPORT. SHOULD AN ISSUE SHOW SIMPLY ENABLE THE SERVICE YOU NEED. WINDOWS 7 WILL USUALLY TELL YOU WHEN A SERVICE THAT IS REQUIRED IS DISABLED

AUTOMATIC   and please note that some of these may be disabled or set to manual by default if you did not set up Windows7 to be on a home network.. this is simply a SAFE list

If a service shown here as AUTOMATIC is by default set to DISABLED or MANUAL in your system, LEAVE it alone

This is simply how I need to run

MANUAL

Changes to FOLDER PROPERTIES (NOTE: this is now edited into the original post)

Set the Folder options...

1. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
  2. Appearance and Personalization, Open Folder Options in the Control Panel.   
  3. Select the View tab in the Folder Options window.

Now, go down the list and make the following changes

UNCHECK: Always show Icons, never thumbnails (this is your choice, I prefer it)

CHECK: Display file icon on thumbnail (optional, I prefer it)

CHECK: Always show menus (easier access in folders)

UNCHECK: Display file size information in folder tips
Bullet in: Show hidden files and folders
UNCHECK: Hide Protected Operating system files
UNCHECK: Hide extensions for known file types

UNCHECK: Hide empty drives in Computer folder

UNCHECK: Restore previous folder windows at logon

CHECK: Show drive letters (optional)

UNCHECK: Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color

UNCHECK: Show popup description for folder and desktop items

UNCHECK: Show preview handlers in preview pane (optional)

-------------------------------------------

SPECIAL UPDATE NOTE:

UNCHECK: Launch Folder Window In A Separate Process in Windows7

After some research I have found this setting can produce unstable results in FSX especially when other software such as ASE is launched with FSX. In the past with XP/Vista this setting was a good way to increase stability and also can assist with performance however with Windows7 I have found that it can cause crashes under the right circumstances. I would suggest this be disabled in Windows 7

-------------------------------------------

Click APPLY and also click the button at the top that says APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS

Changes with Performance Options  (NOTE: this is now edited into the original post)

Hit the Windows + R keys > type sysdm.cpl  > click the Advanced tab > in the Performance section click the Settings button.

NOTE: I highly suggest for performance a AERO Theme not be used and instead use a BASIC HIGH CONTRAST Windows theme and change the background desktop image. I use the theme WINDOWS 7 BASIC and edit the background. The tab above will appear DIFFERENT when a non-AERO theme is in use.. make the same selections but the AERO options will not be available.

AERO THEMES

HIGH CONTRAST BASIC THEMES

Flushing temp files additonal check: (NOTE: this is now edited into the original post)

Verify the following folders are flushed clean: NOTE: SOME FILES MAY REFUSE TO DELETE. This is normal. If windows reports a file is busy by the system simply click SKIP and let it continue

Just Confirm these folders are flushed:

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Temp

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Temp

Power Plan settings:

Changes with setting up the BOOT system and superfetch - (NOTE: this is now edited into the original post)

Download this zip package that will optimize the Windows7 boot, unzip.. there is no install

http://gex.flight1.net/TweakPrefetch.zip

1. Open the folder and run TweakPrefetch.exe

2. OPTIONS - ADVANCED CONTROLS

3. Place a bullet in BOOT for both the prefetch and the superfetch options

4. Click CLEAR PREFETCH

5. Click APPLY. Allow the tool to finish, it will request a reboot.. do so

6. Once back in Windows to confirm the prefetch is clear, open the program folder then open the folder, winprefetchview.. run WinPrefetchView.exe

you should see only ONE file in the top pane: NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf   if that is so, then you can close WinPrefetchView.exe. If there is a list of files something went wrong, go back and repeat steps 1 through 6

NOTE: It is possible the first reboot after the use of this tool may not properly write the NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf file.. if you do not see any file listed, repeat steps 1-6 above

Once back in Windows and you have confirmed NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf...

7. Run TweakPrefetch.exe and make sure OPTIONS - ADVANCED CONTROLS is enabled then select TOOLS - REBUILD LAYOUT.INI

The process may take a good 2 minutes to complete. When finished the software will request a reboot, do so

LAST:

IF this is the first time you have done this and you have already run O&O Defrag, you will need to REPEAT the COMPLETE\NAME defrag process on the Windows 7 OS drive making sure the option in O&O defrag settings is enabled "TAKE INTO ACCOUNT SYSTEM LAYPUT RULES (LAYOUT.INI WINDOWSXP OR HIGHER) under the OPTIONS- TUNING TAB in O&O

IF this is the first time you have done this and you have NOT already run O&O Defrag, then return to the optimize thread and follow the instructions for setting up and using O&O.

jordanal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:37pm
Cool!  Keep the Win7 tips coming Nick - they're great  Big%20smile
Al Jordan

steve_1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:49pm
Thanks Nick Thumbs%20Up
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 2:21pm

as an example..  this is what starts with my system in MSCONFIG

WinAVAlarm is part of the 3Ware 9650SE card for alerting me to errors.

The LUT Loader is my ColorEyes Pro Monitor calibration software that color corrects/gamma corrects the video card LUT table at Windows boot... Hauppage is the HDTV card system for Media center.. past that, this is all that needs to start

I removed all the other junk that installed with things like Adobe Air, Adobe Acrobat, MsMessenger, etc, etc from the RUN command keys in the registry

DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 12:56am
Thanks Nick! and if I could find a quote that fits my experience with Nicks advice it would be from Blazing Saddles..Do what he say, do what he say!.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 10:50am

Can we get some more beans Mr. Taggert?

.....   I'de say you've had enough

flightsimmer747 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flightsimmer747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 2:36pm

What is this step really doing im a little skeptical playing in the registry but i trust all you mentioned so far, just really curious on this one?

Copy the following and put it in a notepad, then save the notepad as OPTIMIZE.reg

Double click that file and select YES to allow it to merge to the registry

..............BEGIN COPY

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"MenuShowDelay"="200"
"HungAppTimeout"="4000"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="5000"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ForegroundLockTimeout"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="5000"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001

----------------------END COPY

Do not reboot yet!

i7 920 @ 4.20 GHZ (Stable) Noctua SE cpu cooler

6 gb Mushkin 1600 DDR3 CL6 ram/

1xsata wd black 1xvelociraptor

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

Asus p6td Deluxe Antec 750 watts
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 2:43pm

You are increasing the speed at which menu items are displayed, reducing the time in delay for timeouts, removing the 'write' time stamp for every single file accessed on a hard drive as its loaded into physical memory which is not needed and removing a scan that is very rarely ever needed in this day and age.

In essence you are removing background activity and drive access you dont see or need to have going on since one of the last major drags on a computer system is mechanical hard drive access. It eats CPU time

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flightsimmer747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 3:02pm
ah i see interesting thanks Ill do it.

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 3:07pm

Let me make something clear

What I posted in that list is a methodology in which each step has defined goal and works in concert with each the steps after it. When people skip items they are breaking the chain and that includes the defrag operations on mechanical hard drives in which step 1 in using the reg edits right down to using the boot optimize tools defines how well the defrag program (with must be O&O exactly as I posted) works

Flight Sim uses a alphanumerical file system in calling files. The goal is to optimize the system so the file calls on the mechanical drives are read into physical memory as quickly as possible and with the least CPU time possible. Since FSX and scenery typically uses alphanumerical name system, O&O is placing your files in a perfect alphanumerical order meaning the head of the drive is hardly moving when it locates a chain of files O&O has placed in name order

As CPUs and video cards and memory amounts/types get better the less impact that aspect of a computer has and of course with SSD you do not deal with mechancial hard drive latency or the CPU it consumes, but most people are not using SSD and therefore the less time a system spends locating and calling files up, the more system time goes directly to the application in use for render.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flightsimmer747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 3:37pm

I mean it cant hurt doing it now for my next defrag. Also prefetch and temp files were loaded with garbage so it will help flushing them now.

Ive been up and running for 6 months with my system overclocked and all, and its all fine i still tweak here and there but i never came across your optimization methods.

My only issue is some distant textures on aircraft having a washed out look they seem so jagged and im on 16x aa in nhancer so i can benefit off 2x2 supersampling. I did all the steps mentioned on customizing the sim and nhancer im on the latest versions. Oddly i notice it more at some airports and cant understand why or if its all an illusion.

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 3:45pm

What you are describing would have little to do with optimizing the system. Typically distance visiuals are caused by the aircraft itself and who made it, their understanding of model/mip-mapping. Airport scenery can be the same way.

When a system is optimized it will have more time to place into objects further away that are given lower priority in render but for the most part those visuals are directly related to the design of the scenery, or, the image settings and of course some config changes that may assist

I run 1920x1200 with Combined 8xS AA in Nhancer, that is a combination of SS and x8 but without the SS hit .. I posted the Nhancer settings I use in the FSX tuning thread and they still seem to work best, at least for my systems goig back to 8800GTX/6700 to the 480/980x system I use today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flightsimmer747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 3:51pm

i agree optimizations arent going to cure my visuals sorry it was off topic.

Im using ut2 which are good on frames, and thats probably the compromise on a little visual on distant aircraft.

What i mainly dont like is the popping scenery like buildings in the distance when banking it drives me nuts. All looks real but then that kills the experience.

I really like the ss methods thats why i try to run 2x2 even if i get a little fps hit. Im not one to cry about fps but then again i havent dropped below 10 ever on this system. IQ is my main goal for fsx. I have the system to drive it, i just have to tune it, then again i think i did everything and should just fly now LOL

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 4:10pm

UT2 does not mip-map their aircraft textures which is why you see the distortion. If you mip them yourself it will clean up the visual

Scenery popping is becasue Aces removed Alpha-fade in FSX to obtain performance. That is hard coded to the sim although the higher the LOD radius and the faster the system the less it pops, but it will never go away completely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flightsimmer747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 4:24pm

Thanks Nick, im running 7.5 lod whats a good number ive been testing 4.5 upto 8.5 but are these numbers realistic or does 14.5 work too (just an example)

Is it a lengthy process to convert and mip my aircrafts. ut2

EVGA Gtx 480

win 7 pro 64 bit

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 6:31pm

This is just optional and is not a requirement or anything. Windows 7 manages resources far better than the OS's of the past but I know there are some, like myself, who likes to lean things down as much as possible. If I dont need a service or system, why run it.

Here is another services list based on "HOMEGROUP" being disabled in home networking. Note that the "HOMEGROUP" system does not need to be enabled to use Windows7 on a home network but it can be a bit tricky to configure the network without it if you are not savvy with older versions of Windows and using networking. I suggest if you wish to disable the HOMEGROUP system and use standard networking you google how to do that correctly but I have provided some links below

This will eliminate another 5-8 processes (depending on the system) at Windows boot

To shut down HOMEGROUP and related services, see this post:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/09/05/disable-and-turn-off-homegroup-services-to-hide-or-remove-home-group-from-windows-7-explorer/

Or here

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-homegroup-feature-in-windows-7/

Then for maintaining the network without homegroup, use the instructions from Microsoft for networking OS other than W7 (it works fine, just requires a few more steps to configure)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

here is the services list after a reboot

Disabled

Automatic

Manual

idahosurge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahosurge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 7:10pm
Nick,

At one time I thought the

rundll32 advapi32,ProcessIdleTasks

command was in the above guide, but I do not see it anywhere now.  Is it not recommended to run the this with Win7?

Rod

STZ87 / 4770K @ 4.7GHz/4400MHz; TR SB-E x2; G.Skill Trident X 8GB 2400MHz @ 9-11-11-31-1T; Gigabyte GTX780 OC; OS SSD-840 Pro 256GB; FSX SSD-840 Pro 256GB; CS AX860i; Win7 Ult 64b; HAF-X
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 7:55pm

Not with Windows7   use the program I posted to optimize the boot file... the command line although it works for other tasks, does not work the same with Windows7
iriki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iriki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 11:45pm

W7 wont run FSX better perfomance wise so either will do..

Well I don't want to start a war in here BUT I feel the need to share my experience with you.
NickN you have a 980X. I'm on the other (far) end.. a mere Pentium D 2.8! Dead

Due to the crappy on-board realtek audio, FSX in Windows XP is IMPOSSIBLE! The stutters, but most importantly the audio cracking made it IMPOSSIBLE to run fluidly, no matter what sliders were set to low (in fact, even with ALL sliders set to low, the crackling occurs). Luckily, Windows 7 Beta RC1 was avail at the time, so I gave it a go. Well, one year and 3 months later I never returned back: i can even use AA now!! (rotfl)

Since not everyone has the same system, I really had to share my experience with you gents. When FSX is running I only have a total of 19 processes including services and whatnot. Now I call that a nice W7 tunning Clap

Oh and guess what's the only tweak I use? That's right, UsePools=0 gives me 4fps boost, jumping from 14fps to 18 fps in a "high detail" condition (VC payware scenery + lvl-d 767). Of course it's still slow, but if it works.. Oh and thanks to Windows 7 new scheduling code, even Tileproxy is a winner in this old computer!! For VFR it's the best piece of code since Windows 3.11!! (just kidding of course, but those were the goo'ole days..)

Oh well, guess my new computer is coming. Now it's time to start all over again. Thanks everyone for your help and effort. Peace be with you Star
djt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by iriki iriki wrote:

W7 wont run FSX better perfomance wise so either will do..

Well I don't want to start a war in here BUT I feel the need to share my experience with you.
NickN you have a 980X. I'm on the other (far) end.. a mere Pentium D 2.8! Dead

Due to the crappy on-board realtek audio, FSX in Windows XP is IMPOSSIBLE! The stutters, but most importantly the audio cracking made it IMPOSSIBLE to run fluidly, no matter what sliders were set to low (in fact, even with ALL sliders set to low, the crackling occurs). Luckily, Windows 7 Beta RC1 was avail at the time, so I gave it a go. Well, one year and 3 months later I never returned back: i can even use AA now!! (rotfl)

Since not everyone has the same system, I really had to share my experience with you gents. When FSX is running I only have a total of 19 processes including services and whatnot. Now I call that a nice W7 tunning Clap

Oh and guess what's the only tweak I use? That's right, UsePools=0 gives me 4fps boost, jumping from 14fps to 18 fps in a "high detail" condition (VC payware scenery + lvl-d 767). Of course it's still slow, but if it works.. Oh and thanks to Windows 7 new scheduling code, even Tileproxy is a winner in this old computer!! For VFR it's the best piece of code since Windows 3.11!! (just kidding of course, but those were the goo'ole days..)

Oh well, guess my new computer is coming. Now it's time to start all over again. Thanks everyone for your help and effort. Peace be with you Star

With the specs you mentioned you could have come up with same results or better with a fresh, properly installed, reformat of XP.

You’re initial problem was most likely attributed to a previously botched/corrupted operating system not XP itself. 

Sure a fresh install of Windows 7 helped but so would a fresh install of XP.

ASUS Rampage III Extreme (901 BIOS)
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition w/Corsair H70
Corsair DOMINATOR-GT 6GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMT6GX3M3A1600C7
EVGA GeForce GTX 480 SuperClocked (259.32)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 Ultimate 64
WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
Corsair AX1200 Watt
Corsair 800D w/NoiseBlocker fans

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1802 BIOS)
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT
Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-7-6-18-1N)
Asus/ATI 5870 (Catalyst 10.8)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows XP/SP2 64-bit Edition
WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
SILVERSTONE 1500Watt SST
SILVERSTONE TJ09-B

iriki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iriki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 8:21pm
*sigh*

I formatted more harddrives in life that i can remember. At that time I re-installed XP from scratch about 5 times before trying W7. If you don't know what's like working under limited resources, than please refrain from posting the never ending "format c:"

thanks a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic