SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alaska Screenshots (Jan 6, 2010)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska Screenshots (Jan 6, 2010)
    Posted: January-06-2010 at 8:57pm

OK.   I have been promising new screenshots for Alaska for quite some time now.   So, here are a few non-urban shots.    Right now, we are trying to finish up the glaciers.   So, I have a lot of glacier shots for you.

Before I get the the glacier screenshots, there is something that a user asked some time ago, which I want to address.

As you know, Alaska has a lot of elevation change down to the coastlines.   So, by having water that is not really accurate (like you do in default FSX), you get a lot of sheer cliffs along the coastlines that are not supposed to be present.    However, with the more detailed water used in our product, these cliffs disappear (except for some glaciers, which do have sheer dropoffs in reality).

Here is an example.  This region is somewhere in SE Alaska.   The reason for the cliffs in FSX, is that the water is cutting into the more accurate mesh at the wrong locations.

FSX screenshot (not accurate)

Ultimate Alaska screenshot

Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:06pm

Here come the glacier screenshots.  

This first shot is a comparison.   The glacier drawn on the left was created using the Glacier Landclass texture in FSX  (very plain with no texture variations).    The glacier on the right was created using a new process that we came up with for drawing glaciers (non-photographic).

All of the remaining glacier screenshots in this thread were drawn using this new process.   I like them.   And, our beta-testers seem to think you will like them also.

My guess is that we will have close to 200 hand-drawn glaciers done for Alaska in this manner.

Here is the comparison screenshot.   Compare the glacier on the left with that on the right.

Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:08pm

Here are the rest of the new glacier screenshots that I took tonight.

Enjoy !

Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:09pm
Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:09pm
Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:10pm
Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:11pm
Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:12pm
Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:12pm
Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:13pm
Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:14pm
Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 9:15pm

One more for tonight....

I know this product release is well behind the original November release.  But, I hope the wait will be worth it for everyone.

Allen

kagazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kagazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 10:48pm
The screen shots look great Clap I can't wait to add UTX Alaska to my flying world.
c152flyboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c152flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 10:52am
looking forward to this myself.
vwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2010 at 3:31pm

Originally posted by c152flyboy c152flyboy wrote:

looking forward to this myself.

Me too. Smile

Victor
SnowGoAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowGoAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 1:08pm
Keeps looking better and better. Cant Wait!
mfitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 6:08pm
I have money saved for this.
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 10:34pm
As we are about to enter our final round of testing, I should be able to provide a lot more screenshots over the next week or two.
Allen

FLighT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLighT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 12:43pm

Originally posted by akriesman akriesman wrote:

As we are about to enter our final round of testing, I should be able to provide a lot more screenshots over the next week or two.

When you get to the new screenshots can you post a couple of the Juneau area, one of my favorites, thanks.

BroncoBilly View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroncoBilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 3:43pm

will this product coexist with "Tongass fjords"?

Thanks

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 12:35am
Originally posted by BroncoBilly BroncoBilly wrote:

will this product coexist with "Tongass fjords"?

Thanks

Absolutely.  Holger Sandmann is part of the development team.  And, I have a copy of Tongass Fjords that I have been testing with Ultimate Alaska X.  The two products work well together.

The only (very) slight problem that we found has to do with corrected airports that are in the Tongass Fjords scenery (both Tongass Fjords and Ultimate Alaska have corrected airports in Alaska).  However, we will have some very simple instructions to fix this compatibilty issue.   

Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 12:37am
Originally posted by FLighT FLighT wrote:

Originally posted by akriesman akriesman wrote:

When you get to the new screenshots can you post a couple of the Juneau area, one of my favorites, thanks.

I already have a bunch of production screenshots.  And, there are a couple of them for Juneau.

I will try and post them very soon (day or two ?)

Allen

FLighT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLighT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 7:20am
I'll be checking in, thanks.
mlg33 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlg33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 4:56am
Wow !

Nice !
Could you please post screenshots of "Bold airfield" near anchorage,
and "Unalaska (PADU)".

That would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Q9450@3.4Ghz - GTX275(1,7G) - 4GoDDR3 - W7 Ult 64 - 22"
FSX Acc - REX - FSG - UTX - GEX - ST - Tongass X - PNW - ORBX
744X/ERJv2/C182Q-RG/206/185/BushXP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic