SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FS Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FS Issue
    Posted: December-24-2008 at 4:13pm

Hello,

I am looking for some help with an FSX issue, I am running FSX SP2 on Windows XP SP3.  I have the following add-ons running, UTX, GEX, ASA using REX graphics and I have eHancer controlling the graphics.  For the past few weeks I have been getting an error message which I have posted below.  How does one correct this issue?

Thank you for your help.

Jim

James Ormond
Ulf B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulf B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 2:45am

James,

It would help if you provided more information about your setup:

1. How much RAM?
  2. How much RAM (physical memory) is available before you strart FSX?
  3. How much virtual memory (physical + swap file)?
  4. What graphics card do you use and how much memory does it have?

I can see that you use NOD32 and that is a good choice.

Here are some posts on avsim regarding out of memory errors. May be of interest.

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=65741

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=67621

Ulf B

jormond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 8:49am

Ulf,

Thank you for your help.  To answer your questions I have 4GB of RAM and I have the 3 GB switch working on the system.  I have a EVGA 8800GT 512mb video card and the virtual memory was set at 3326mb on one drive system managed.  I changed it this morning to 9979mb on three drives system managed.  I am running the 180.48 video drives. 

This issue started a few weeks ago when REX was released and I installed the REX graphics after I purchased it.  I also decided to try nHancer again after reading about how Nick had posted all the proper settings.  I found that the system works great and FSX is also looking good.  The issue is I keep getting the error message when I never did before.  I have used FSX all the way back to when it came out and have never had this type of error before.  I look forward to your suggestions to eliminate it or anyone else who can offer any help.

Have a great day!

James Ormond
Ulf B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulf B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 1:50pm

James,

I have no specific suggestions on what to do. The REX 3D clouds consume a lot of resources. Maybe you could test to fly with clear weather (no clouds at all) in FSX and see what happens. The PMDG MD-11 in combo with a lot of 3D cumulus clouds may be to much.

I use the 180.48 drivers as well, but stopped using nHancer some driver versions ago. I felt that the texture shimmering was low enough and I didn't need nHancer any more. But using nHancer shouldn't be the cause of your problem.

How much memory does FSX allocate when starting a flight with the PMDG MD-11 at a default airport? On my pc FSX will allocate about 1.3 GB starting up at ESMS runway 35 with the MD-11. That's with clear weather. If I add a thick cumulus cloud layer fsx uses 1.4 GB. If I max out AI traffic, autogen and such, fsx uses about 1.6 GB. I'm using the Task Manager so it's not that reliable data.

Ulf B

beachdog2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdog2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 2:43pm
If you are running REX, make sure DXT5 clouds are checked and you may want to check into using the lower resolution REX clouds to see if you see a difference.
Bill Barrette

United-Virtual Airlines
jormond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 4:37pm

Ulf & Bill,

Thank you for the help, I have changed to the lower resolution clouds to see if that is the issue and tweaked a few settings.  I will do a few flights both long and short to see if that solves the problem.  If you have any other thoughts or if anyone else can offer any insights please do.  I did do a partial flight today to monitor the memory using task manager and found the following; 3.4GB on the system to use, 1.7GB in use and 2.0GB available.  The Virtual memory also looked good.

Thank you again for the help.

James Ormond
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 8:27pm

All of the suggestions thus far have been good. The page file need not be any larger than the physical memory in a 32 bit system that has >2GB

Its either going to be 3072-3072 stactic, or, 'system managed' or in Visa.. just set it to automatically control the file

The page file is ONLY used if physical memory runs out so that means the amount you are reserving is over and above what physical memory is being used. In that, the only way an OOM can come from the page file is if it is set to less than what the system needs (physical memory + page file)

The system is never going to go into OOM on a 3072-3072 page file and have access to 3.2GB of PM with FSX. That places total memory available to the system at over 6GB.

OOMs will not be seen due to the page file size if the settings above are used

An addon is more than likely pushing the VM too hard since the 3GB switch is in use and I assume it is set up correctly in the boot line as shown:

/3GB/Userva=2560

Lets assume we have an addon that is causing this,.. you can try and expand the address space for the OS by tweaking the cache for the OS from the line above. That is done by reducing USERVA in lots of 64 till the error ceases

/3GB/Userva=2496 if it fails drop to

/3GB/Userva=2432 if it fails drop to

/3GB/Userva=2368 if it fails drop to

/3GB/Userva=2318

you must beboot for the changes to take effect

Past that I would suspect some kind of addon or motherboard issue with 4GB + an addon and the original 2560 value can be restored

jormond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 3:00pm

Nick,

Thank you for the detailed answer and help.  I did reduce the 3GB setting by 64 as you suggested and was able to "fly" a 4.24 hour flight today with RC 4.3, FS Passenger and ASA running.  I was able to land and taxi to the gate and as FS Passenger was closing the flight by deboarding the passengers I had the same error again.  I was able to keep FSX running to close out the flight and get the final report.  I will reduce the setting again by 64 which will be 2432 and try another flight over the weekend and report what happens.

Thank you for the help and great suggestions.

James Ormond
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic