SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Att Nickn Strange Graphics Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2009 at 10:17am

So my system is all back to normal Nick. I reset the old 180. driver back and the old 3840 x 1024 resolutions. It's stable and clear and everything works wonderfully once again.

Hey, if you're ever cruising around Vancouver (mom lives there), or up to Alaska again, I'd love to crew. I could use the photo references as I am a Canadian Landscape artist www.kenkirsch.com

Thanks Nick!

Ken

Flying a 2 Seat Simulator Toronto Canada YouTube:KennyKanada
i7 2600k OC-4.5G, GTX680, P8Z68VPro, Mushkin 8G 9-9-9-24, Corsair1050w, CorsairH90, 256SSD, x2-300VRAP, Epson WXGA PowerLite 1760W, W7x64
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2009 at 2:58pm

you're welcome Ken..   thanks for the invite Smile

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 9:59am

Hey Nick...

Is Mega Scenery (San Fran- $15 bundle at PC Pilot) worth it? Will it cause problems or are they a good photo-real scenery addon? What do you think Nick? 

Thanks kindly,

Ken (UTX, GEX, FSGen, FEX)

i7 2600k OC-4.5G, GTX680, P8Z68VPro, Mushkin 8G 9-9-9-24, Corsair1050w, CorsairH90, 256SSD, x2-300VRAP, Epson WXGA PowerLite 1760W, W7x64
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 1:17pm

I know it will not damage anything and do be careful becuse some of their installers add FIBER FRAME TIME FRACTION to the FSX.cfg without you knowing. Other than that, I cant relay anything about the product.

I can tell you I personally do not like photoscenery... its has its ups and downs. The plus side is you get an image of the area... the down side is the images are rarely color balanced, light balanced and clean

Some people like it and others do not

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 2:29pm

Thanks Nick.

I hesitate, and so I will pass (all is good now, so I'll leave well enough alone)

I know that the Blue Print Simulations new CYYZ Airport gave me problems with the landclass around the airport. A new patch was supposed to fix the "seams" and make it photoreal, but it was b&w and all flat. They told me then to remove that area in the BluePrint config file. It is much better now.

Thanks,

Ken

BradS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by KanadaKen KanadaKen wrote:

I know that the Blue Print Simulations new CYYZ Airport gave me problems with the landclass around the airport. A new patch was supposed to fix the "seams" and make it photoreal, but it was b&w and all flat. They told me then to remove that area in the BluePrint config file. It is much better now.

Ken, at least they responded to you.  I've been trying to get a response from them for over 3 weeks...just dead air....Angry
KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 6:37pm

Yes they did respond right away. I was impressed. They even had some "tweaks" to give me to try. I see on their website, they appear to be "hassled" by disgruntled customers. They mention the complaints on their site and ask not to be bothered or something to that sort. But personally I had no complaints about their service. The product seems a bit "unstable" albeit beautifully rendered.

Ken

BradS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 3:49pm
I think they are very selective about what issues they decide to address, and leave their other customers to cool their heels with non-working products...thus the disgruntled, angry customers they talk so much about on their support site.  That support site, if people read it before purchase, would deter most people from buying from them....

http://www.blueprintsimulations.com/BluePrint_Support.htm

They gotten the last$.01 from me they will ever get...which is too bad as I liked the KIND airport I bought....but can't get installed.....
KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 9:23am

That's not a good thing Brad!

I too will probably not purchase anymore airports from BluePrint for the time being, until they iron-out all the bugs (or go bust-whichever comes first?).

Ken

rvc70 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvc70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 12:19pm
And what is the net effect of adding FIBER FRAME TIME FACTION to FSX.cfg?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 1:31pm

DONT DO IT

Originally posted by rvc70 rvc70 wrote:

And what is the net effect of adding FIBER FRAME TIME FACTION to FSX.cfg?

rvc70 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvc70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 1:44pm

I understand when you say don't do it but I already have it installed at 0.50 and I wanted to know what effect does it have on FSX and more importantly should I delete it?  Thank you.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 3:27pm

THIS INFORMATION WHICH WAS POSTED IN 2009 IS NOW OUTDATED. WHEN FSX WAS RELEASED AND THE HARDWARE COULD NOT COPE, THIS WAS TRUE, TODAY (2012) FFTF CAN BE USED IF IT IS DONE RIGHT.

=====================================

Are you running a single core or multicore processor?

I find very few people running FSX on single core slugs today

FFTF was something that was addressed in the ORIGINAL release of FSX

After SP1/SP2 Aces FIXED the problem and FFTF is no longer needed as a matter of fact its not doing anything with multicore processors after SP1

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION determines the maximum amount of time per frame that we will run fiber jobs on the primary thread. We measure how long it took to simulate and render and then multiply that time by FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION to determine how long to run the fibers. For example, if it took 10 milliseconds to simulate and render and FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION was set to the default value of 0.33, then we would allow the fibers on the primary thread to run for up to 10 * 0.33 = 3.3 milliseconds. For fraction values of 1.0 and 2.0, the time given to fibers would be 10 milliseconds and 20 milliseconds, respectively.

The operation of FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION on single core machines has not changed since RTM.

On multi-core machines in SP1, we moved many fiber jobs off of the primary thread and onto secondary threads. Since FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION only affects scheduling of jobs on the primary thread, it will have less of an impact on the performance of Flight Sim on multi-core machines. In fact, we moved so many jobs off of the primary thread that there probably isnít enough fiber work left to soak up the full time allowed by the default value of 0.33.

Therefore, on multi-core machines, thereís very little reason to tweak the fraction because it really only impacts performance of single core machines.

and

Please emphasize the pointlessness of tweaking this value on multi-core machines.

Further, setting it to values greater than the default value on single-core machines can increase frame rate volatility because it increases the amount of time we *might* allocate to fibers if there is adequate work waiting in the queue. When the queue is full, weíll allocate the full amount of time to fibers but when the queue is empty, fibers get no time because there is no work to do. If the rate of new jobs entering the fiber queue is bursty and the full time allowed for fibers is large, then you can imagine how this would increase volatility.

If people feel like the fibers arenít getting adequate resources, they would be better off leaving the fiber fraction alone and just lowering the frame rate limit slider, which helps divert more CPU time to primary thread fibers without increasing volatility.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/11/tweak-of-the-week.aspx

rvc70 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvc70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 3:31pm
Thank you very much for the explanation and detail to help me understand what is involved.  Actually I use SP1 so obviously I don't need that entry.  I will delete it from the fsx.cfg, thanks again.
mralexandro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mralexandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 7:18am
hi nick.
i have a evga x58 motherboard, bfg nvidia gtx260, 4gb of ram & I7 920 CPU
i have vista 64 bit and it does have DX10(cause it is vista) i saw you writing further back in this post that if you had vista and dx 10 you could not use this nhancer guide.

Was that just if you activated dx 10 preview in fsx or is that no mather what.

Thanks, and greetings from norway
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 10:20am

Just DX10 preview. The FSX tuning thread explains that as well

DX10 will ignore Nhancer because it will ignore the Nv control panel as well.

In order to use DX10 all you can do is check AA in the sim and set filtering manually. The sim will control the hardware and there is no way around that

Once DX10 is disable in FSX it will respect Nhancer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mralexandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2009 at 11:18pm
wow, fast response, and so clearSmile i really apreciate finding this forum.
thanks for an understandable and fast response Nick.
You really are the aviation sim guru:DClap

also if you have the opportunity.
i have heard alot about an software called.
real environment xtreme. will that interfer with those addons you recommended and is it worth all that it costs?

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 1:32pm

REX is a comparable product to F1's FEX

Both have 1024/2048/4096 cloud options. Right now REX offers a few other textures outside of water/sky/clouds

I use FEX and I do not use cloud textures that are higher than 1024. Regardless of what you may read 4096 cloud textures in heavy urban areas and with volume will hit performance. I am more interested in a very well made 1024 cloud set which will not hit my system when landing at Heathrow over high res screenshot type clouds.

I use Active Sky Advanced for my weather engine.. they are getting ready to release SP1 for it too which is also needed (or the SP1 beta they posted till SP1 is released)

beachdog2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdog2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 4:27pm

Just a small correction.  REX is comparable to ASX(ASA) + Xgraphics, not FEX exactly.  FEX does not have a weather engine, it is textures only, whereas REX is textures and weather engine combined in one package.  ASX (ASA) is the weather engine for ActiveSky and XGraphics is their texture package.  You need to buy them both if you want both the engine and the textures.

By the way, the REX 1024 textures look great and are not a performance killer.  If they were, I could not run them on my old P4 computer.

It just comes down to which package you prefer.  They are all pretty good and seem to work well together.  For example you can use the REX or FEX textures and the ASX engine no problem.

Bill Barrette

United-Virtual Airlines
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 4:53pm

I am not sure what correction needs to be made.. nothing I said is incorrect

I did not say REX 1024 textures were a performance killer.. I said 1024 textures are not and ANY 4096 texture set under the right conditions, IS matters not who makes it

I personally use ASA with its SP1 (or beta) over any other weather engine out there and I would not compare the weather engine from REX with ASA here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mralexandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 6:35pm
alright thank you guys,
so for my ultimate flight experience i would need
activesky (and it had to be sp1 right?)
Flight environment X
Ground environment X

i am not sure what ultimate terrain x would do extra after having all those.
i also feel safe buying them if you recommend them.

any add or remove in my "shopping cargo" would be appreciated nick.
cause i will buy all this at once. and wait exited for one week for it to arrive

so please let me know if i got it all right.
Again, thanks for your help.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2009 at 7:33pm

UTX is a must.. no sim would be complete without it however do see my PERF vs VISUALS setup for UTX in the FSX tuning thread.. there are some elements of UTX that can hit perf.

I have USA/Canada and their Europe product and GEX provides a patch for UTX USA/CANADA to upgrade the small number of textures UTX installs to match GEX. We will provide the same kind of patch for Europe as well.

UTX adds the correct to real world roads, lakes, shores, bridges, rails, cemetaries, things you wont get with FSX default or other LC products, and they provide the landclass for urban in USA/Canada  (urban and rural for their Europe product)

In the USA I would add SceneryTech North America to that list as it will do the the entire North America rural areas where UTX may not cover. It needs to be added to the scenery library correctly so it allows UTX to cover the urban and ST cover the rest.. see this post:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24965

If this is new to you then that thread will explain but in a nutshell this is how the sim works:

Mesh:

This is the wireframe you dont see that sets up the topography. Higher res mesh means better defined hills, valleys, mountains, gullies, etc. I personally use FSGenesis 10m USA mesh as I was a life member of FSGenesis with FS9 however there are other products out there too such as FSGlobal which I have never used that provide mesh. FSGenesis is correcting the airport 'plateau' issue with their USA product. Its a issue with MSFS where higher res mesh can place airports on plateaus which FSG has been fixing.

Landclass:

Products like UTX, FSGenesis (USA landclass), SceneryTech North America, etc provide a database to the sim that tell it what kind of land is under the aircraft.. this in turn calls the textures that skins the mesh. Without a well defined landclass you can end up with desert where there should be semi-green, small towns that will not appear, industrial areas that otherwise would not appear. There is no such thing as the perfect landclass however the base of such a build should be UTX with support from the others listed.

Textures

GEX provides the texture database the landclass calls/defines. Those textures cover the mesh

So that is how it works..

Environment addons such as FEX/REX/XGraphics provide the clouds/sky/water selections. Right now REX and XGraphics also have selections for other things too. As Bill pointed out it can be a personal preference as to what one likes. I am not one to change themes very often and pretty much stick to a set of clouds/water/sky/waves that deliver what I like and tend to be versatile for all weather conditions. Both REX and FEX allow the user to select from themes so they both provide a selection of choices.

Some people are into robust colors.. I tend to try and stay grounded with more realism in the environment..  

As for ASA (Active Sky Advanced) here is their forum and you will find the latest Beta of SP1 there...

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=249539

They will be going gold with that patch as SP1 soon.

You will need to learn how to use ASA... Its pretty much set up correctly out of the box however I do enable the replacement fog layer and visibility graduation.. wind smoothing is up to you.. I use it as FSX tends to be pretty bad with wind shifts. I also disabe the 'force high priority process" other than that I leave everything else at default unless I wish to set up a special weather condition from the cloud and wind options.

Always boot ASA first.. let it start and load the weather from the internet.. once complete it will tell you... then start FSX after. ASA will take over automatically. You can simply minimize it.

PERF TIP:

After starting ASA if you have a multicore processor, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the task manager.. click the processes tab. Look for ASA.Exec.exe in the list. Right click, select SET AFFINTY. UNCHECK all cores but the LAST, click OK and close the task manager. That will remove the footprint of ASA off the first core (FSX primary) to run off the last core and leave the rest to FSX. This must be done each time ASA is started as Windows will not remember the changes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mralexandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 1:17am
thank you nick.Star
where can i buy FSGenesis with that 10M?
also can i install all the other softwares first then install that one later. since it is the foundation under the texture, i mean? dose it fix the whole worlds mesh?
i will get the others before that one. so hope i do not have to wait for that one to arriveTongue
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 3:43pm

Google is your friend Smile

Mesh can be installed at anytime

wsciutti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciutti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 4:52pm

Nick,

I just startted using ASA; thank you for the pref tip and I will try your fog/vis ideas.

Jack S

Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 6:19pm

MRALEXANDRO

FS genesis has a sale on at present here: http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Great software.
PeterH

Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2009 at 4:54pm

Thanks for the ASA perf tips Nick!

What kind of performance increase might one expect when setting the "affinity" to only the last core in ASA?

Beta SP1 for ASA is great! Much improvement indeed.

Ken

iriki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iriki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

FSX graphics setting must be:

AA UNCHECKED

Well if I disable this in Windows 7 with acceleration I don't get anti-aliasing at all, so i have to enable AA in fsx in order for the nhancer settings to take effect.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 8:08pm

First of all.. I do not endorse the use of W7

2nd, if you enabled AA in the FSX settings it is NOT the Nhancer hardware AA but a DX flag to turn on basic AA functions which are not the same as full hardware support.. thats comes directly from Phil Taylor

Nhnacer and W7.. I have no clue 

I have gotten about 30 people OFF Windows7 since it was released and back to Vista64 or XP x64 who were pulling their hair out with problems on that OS and FSX

You are going to read a lot of things on the net about W7 and FSX.. I wouldnt do it

c152flyboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c152flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 4:40pm
Nick in regards to this post from you a little earlier:

PERF TIP:

After starting ASA if you have a multicore processor, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the task manager.. click the processes tab. Look for ASA.Exec.exe in the list. Right click, select SET AFFINTY. UNCHECK all cores but the LAST, click OK and close the task manager. That will remove the footprint of ASA off the first core (FSX primary) to run off the last core and leave the rest to FSX. This must be done each time ASA is started as Windows will not remember the changes.

would you say the same is true if someone is using REX when running their weather engine?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 5:00pm

Does their engine show up as a process in the task manager?

I dont know if it does.. I dont use it

If its in the task manager list then it should provide the same result

pilotex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 5:25pm
Nick,
Regarding this AFFINITY thing, it seems like whenever I do that it's only good till you close the application. Once you open the application again it goes back to using all 4 cores. Is that how it's supposed to be? Anyway to make it a "default"?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 6:51pm

?????

I have never seen AffinityMask change, ever 

are you sure you are opening the right file? FSX.cfg and FSX.txt live in the same directory

I have only seen Texture_Max_Load= above 1024 and if used for photoscenery, MipBias= above 4 and LOD_RADIUS= if above 4.5 reset to default

truck911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truck911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 7:44pm
I think he may mean processor affinity Nick.
Regards,

Gary

HAF932|Z170-Deluxe|i7-6700K@4.6 GHz|NH-D14| 2x8GB 3000GHz 15-16-16-35|iNTEL 750 AIC800GB Pcie SSD| W10 Pro|GTX 980Ti RM850i PSU|SMT750 UPS|ASUS 27"
pilotex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 7:49pm
Sorry Nick. I re-read my post and I wasn't clear at all.

I meant processor affinity like Gary said. Just what "c152flyboy" referred to in the post above yours.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 8:06pm

thats different

from the Windows Task manager..

That will change as I posted above.. the only workaround for that is to use a software that boots with windows and monitors the task manager and makes the changes automatically. I dont use them and just set manually.

I dont have any links to them either

pilotex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 8:19pm
Thank you Nick 
pilotex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 1:07am
Just in case some are looking for a program to set the processor affinity, I have found this one and it works well. I have used version 2.

http://edgemeal.110mb.com/SetAffinity/
Jschenemann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jschenemann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2009 at 7:55pm
So, I built a rig about a year ago and it's been pretty decent. Lately I've switched to Flight Sim X and haven't had very good results. I've tried using "NickM's" trick using nHancer but nothing works there either. I'll just show you what I have and maybe someone could help me out.

EVGA 680Sli Mo'Bo'
2 Barracuda HD in RAID 0
4 GB Mushkin 1066 Ram
2 260GTX in SLI mode
E6600 Core 2 Duo OC'ed to 3.4
Antec 900 Case
Vista Ultimate 64bit

Now I know it's not the top of the line anymore, but you'd think with this much Horsepower under the hood it would be able to run better. Like I said, I built the thing, so maybe I missed some settings or something, but I've been reading people running FSX maxxed out on ONE graphics card that's worse than mine. Please? Anyone? Help me? Don't know if I need to change bios, or settings somewhere, but something isn't right with my FPS. Any help is greatly appreciated.

blarg.gif
Jess
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2009 at 11:39pm

This one is easy..  Ill give you the sweet and condensed version because I am pressed for time

You are right.. that rig is 3 year old technology and its not a quad

1. Tuning list says: NO RAID.. and that means, no RAID. Unless you are running RAID off of a professional SATA card and the right STRIP, you are actually COSTING yourself CPU cycles with RAID.

2. SLi is just about worthless to FSX and you are only seeing the ability of one core and card memory amount to the application if running a AA level of less than 32x and a resolution of less than 2000. And even if you are running those screen spec's, you're killing the CPU doing it

Run one card only in FSX

3. If those 260 cards are the 192 processor core neutered versions before Nvidia updated them to the 216 processor core, then your card is not the same as the more modern 260 version. If they are the 216 PC cards then you have a decent little card for FSX. If not, the card will choke.

4. Memory speed is important but you did not post the memory timing. In example, you can have DDR2 1066 running 5-5-5 timing or you can have DDR2 1066 running 8-8-8 timing.. @ 8-8-8 you may as well be on DDR2 333

5. OS tuning/HDD defrag using the right method.. Vista sucks the life out of hardware. There are things you can do to help get rid of those elements and return the system to high load application friendly. Installing FSX to Program Files is a huge mistake a lot of people make.. Vista will nanny that folder even if UAC is shut down. There is also a right and wrong way to defrag. 

6. DDR2       dont expect to go very far in FSX with DDR2. Even tuned to the max and clocked to the hilt DDR2 is going to bottleneck FSX regardless of what you do but you can get good results none the less..

7. If memory serves that chipset doesnt support the full bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 and in SLi I will bet the motherboard has choked the cards down to 8x.. I could be wrong and need to look up the 680i again which I dont have time to do.. but I bet thats another factor as the motherboard is choking the PCIe buss with those 2.0 cards in SLi - double whammy with SLi in operation

there ya go..     Smile

Remove the 2nd video card.. make sure the card that remains is in the top (primary) slot and if the card is the 192 PC and not the 216, then you will be hindered no matter what

Get rid of RAID completely.. put the OS and installed software on one drive and install FSX and addons on the other

Make sure your memory is at max 5-5-5 timing, 4-4-4 would be better but CAS 5 will work

Install FSX and its patches correctly and if you use addons like UTX be sure to follow the guide at the end of the tuning thread to install set it up right for performance..  you dont have the overhead for ANY car traffic with a dual core proc unless you give up sliders elsewhere, thats a clue for ya Wink

Optimize the OS and correctly defrag the system right

Tune FSX correctly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic