SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Att Nickn Strange Graphics Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Att Nickn Strange Graphics Problem
    Posted: August-05-2008 at 12:30pm

I do not believe this is a problem attributed to GEX but since it affects my GEX installation I was hoping that I could get some help on this forum.

After having a new computer built specifically for FSX I installed the following programs (seen below). When I opened FSX for the first time I saw texture files and graphics as clear and defined as you shown in your demo screenshots, I would call them a perfect 10. I was seeing FSX as I thought it would always be. I continued to add scenery files saved from my old computer checking occasionally to see the graphics. They were beautiful, after a couple of days of restoring my files I had an occasion to go into display properties to look at antialiasing, anisotropic filtering etc. I did not make many changes since my graphics were a perfect 10 anyways. After I continued using FSX I noticed my graphics had degraded down to 7 or 8 It seemed I was getting back to the blurries again though not as bad as my older computer but definitely a loss of visual . I was very disappointed and tried to correct the problem. Tried new fsx.cfg files, making changes in display properties, using system restore, reinstalling FSX program several times, my graphics continued to be downgraded.

I finally decided to re-format my hard drives and start all over again. After doing the same as I described above my graphics were restored as they were originally, nice and crisp sharply defined as before. I continued re-installing my addons with no problem and decided to adjust colors in the display properties after I was done once again my graphics were degenerated. Originally I did not relate my graphics problem to changes in display properties but now I cannot find any other reason that I am experiencing this problem. Something is causing me to lose the great graphics provided by GEX enhanced. I just donít know what it could be. I am sure it is not my graphics card because it originally gave me the quality graphics I was expecting, but something is taking it away.

I donít know how to fix this. If I reformat again Iím sure it will once again degenerate.Iím not even sure the problem is related to Display Properties but it is the only area that seems to cause the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have not installed nhancer since I donít know what all the settings mean and did not want to make mistakes using settings that I did not understand.

System restore is on.

Addons

Fs genesis mesh-FS genesis US Landclass

UTX usa UTX canada UTX Europe

FEX

X graphics

Active Sky X

GEX enhanced

System

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4

Nvidea 8800 GTX 512MB

Nvidia Driver:  174.74

RAM: Mushkin 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2

Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb

Power Supply: Corsair 750 watt

Case: Thermaltake M9

Win XP pro.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 12:49pm

Did you by any chance install the 1.3 update for UTX?

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=27413

If so be aware it will increase car traffic by quite a bit and you can not set car traffic to ZERO after installing the 1.3 update to check it either. It must be disabled in the UTX configuration tool under "RDX Moving Traffice for Freeways, Highways, motorways.. etc"

Usually something like this is tied back to an addon and sometimes it can be tought to nail down. Its usually best to install addons one at a time and put some flight time in after each install (more than a few minutes and more than one location) to confirm things are working as they should.

As for graphics settings.. if you use Nvidia, this is the process and the settings..

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973/0#5

I have been using the same graphics card settings since May of 07

dont know what you changed but color is not one of the items you should need to mess with

shirley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 1:17pm

Yes Nick I have installed 1.3 upgrade. And as I have re-installed my saved addon files I have flown the areas related to the files I have added as well as other "situations" that I have re-installed from my old system to monitor the graphcs and also to see what they really looked like with my new system and GEXn, the graphics until my venture into display properties was always a perfect 10. I cant imagine  what display properties would have to do with this problem but the degeneration started twice after I accessed this file.

I checked my road traffic in UTX and on my system disableing RDX Moving Traffic for Freeways, Highways, motorways removes "all" moving traffic.

By the way I live in "Needham Ma USA"

Larry

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by shirley shirley wrote:

I cant imagine  what display properties would have to do with this problem but the degeneration started twice after I accessed this file.

I checked my road traffic in UTX and on my system disableing RDX Moving Traffic for Freeways, Highways, motorways removes "all" moving traffic.

I cant imagine either. The only way something could start looking bad is if you changed a setting in those properties directly related to AA or AF, or enable one of the profiles that takes over your video card without you knowing. That is why I outline the use of Nhancer, to make sure that can not happen

Unfortunately the only way to remove the car traffic load with UTX is to disable it in the UTX interface. From what I understand after the 1.3 update setting car traffic to zero in the sim will remove the cars but the memory/processor footprint on the system is still there. So if you disabled road traffic and there is no change I can assume at that point its not a car traffic system load issue.

A screenshot may help. Snag a shot of what you are seeing and post it

Needham's are pretty much are all related one way or another somewhere along the tree. The name is not common

shirley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 10:52pm

When I went into display properties the first time I did change my AA settings and my AF settings. After reformating my hard drive and starting over again I eventualy once again accessed display properties and made changes to "video color settings" Now what I think is happening is that when I make changes in display properties it also is changing something in my visual appearance by bringing back the blurries, not as bad as I have seen on my old computer but bad enough to cause the loss of the great sharp ground textures I had. I am referring to ground textures only every thing else is fine.

I am beginning to think that nhancer may help me to restore my original textures but I am not familiar enough with this program and its settings. I have it installed on my old computer (which is networked to this computer) and have looked at various nhancer screens but have no idea what the various options mean and what settings would help. Would you be able to help me with this if you also think it would help? I think that if I reformatted my hard drive and started over and did not access display properties I would be able to retain the sharp ground textures that I get when I first install all my addons especially GEXn.

I'm not sure how to provide a screenshot to this forum. When I access "insert image" I get the following message "Only members with sufficient permission can access this page"

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 11:15am

That error I see from time to time as well... Its a forum software glitch

just cancel the post go to the top of the forum and enter again from here

http://www.simforums.com/

the error will clear and you can post the images

As for Nhancer... its simple Nhancer overrides the Nv control panel. Install it and set it up as I specified in that link above. You make the SAME settings for the FSX PROFILE and GLOBAL in Nhancer and the NV control panel no longer has control

Driver Installs or upgrades REQUIRE Nhancer be set back up correctly after each driver change!

Here are the screens

NOTE: If you find a performance hit with Combined 8xS you can use 4xS  instead however shimmer may be worse.

There is NO "APPLY" or "SAVE" button. Once you make a setting in Nhancer, its changed and thats it

Do not make any changes in the Nv Control panel for AA and AF after this... you can use the NV control panel for other settings such as color, etc but NOT 3D control.

Nhancer is easy to use... just install and do as I posted above.

Make sure you have NeT Framework 2.0 or above installed. Its required in order for Nhancer to work

VISTA: You do not need NET 2.0. NET 3.0 will work with Nhancer

If you use a multimonitor setup then make the correct changes based on your system needs in Nhancer

If you need to make changes other than 3D in the Nv Control Panel, you must still make those changes.. the 3D settings are never touched in the Nv Control panel but anything else you may need for your monitor layout support must still be made

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 4:24pm

Almost forgot

FSX graphics setting must be:

AA UNCHECKED

FILTERING: Trilinear

Global texture resolution 100%

shirley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 10:56am

Thanks Nick,

That seems to correct my graphics pretty close to the original views. I appreciate your help.

GEX is a great program and I am looking forward to Europe.

Larry/Shirley

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 1:28pm

You can use MULTISAMPLE 4x instead of COMBINED 8xS however the COMBINED setting reduces tree and AG shimmer. I run 8xS. The 4x MULTISAMPLE setting will allow better performance at a bit of a cost

When ever you make a change like that it must be done in BOTH profile (Flight Simulator X) AND Global in Nhancer.. not just the profile

prowler View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2008 at 9:47am

OK...I think I've found the latest thread for the FS/nVidia/nHancer settings. If not I apologize.

After almost 2 weeks of trying to get my new system to run FS9 (not FSX), it finally looks great thanks to Nick's nHancer work around for nVidia cards. I have some questions, however:

I have a single GTX 260 and I have seen threads stating different AA choices in nHancer (Multisampling, Supersampling and Combined). Depending on which of these I choose I get different levels of AA (Supersampling is the most different from the "old" thread AND this one...1x2, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4). I have presently set Multisampling, 8x. Which should I use? Also, why not higher than 8X? Is it an FS9 limitation?

For other games I install...should I just change their respective settings in nHancer "Profile" tab, and not touch anything else? I guess what I'd like to know is will I have to go through this rigamarole (thanks SOOoo much, nVidia) for every game I install?

Thanks gang. And, again, thanks much Nick!

Vic

WindowsXP (32)
FS9
ASUS Rampage Extreme x48
Intel C2D 9650 3.0gh
4gb OCZ RAM
BFG GTX260, 896mb
Creative X-fi
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2008 at 2:29pm

1. I have no idea abut that card and what will appear in the Nhancer control panel. COMBINED 8xS is what I use to eliminate shimmers in FSX.. in the case of FS9 that may not be needed so multisample 4x is fine.. and also, AA must be UNCHECKED in FSX with Render to Texture enabled and Trilinear filtering selected

the MIP level slider is either going to be 4 or 8 (MAX) in FS9.. you have to experiment. at max it may shimmer.. if so reduce it to 4 or where ever the shimmer stops

2. Just change the game profile

prowler View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 1:35am

OK...that's what I needed to know.

Thanks

WindowsXP (32)
FS9
ASUS Rampage Extreme x48
Intel C2D 9650 3.0gh
4gb OCZ RAM
BFG GTX260, 896mb
Creative X-fi
mjrhealth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrhealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 8:05pm
Hi Nick one silly question, why not multicore in FSX only Vista. Just curious.
Intel Haswell 4790K@4.6GHz 1.249VZ, Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H 8Gig Cas 9 DDR3 1600MHz ram
Win 7 64 Bit Home
Gigabyte GTX680 2Gig Video

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 10:29pm

That setting has absolutely nothing to do with multiple core use by FSX for rendering. Its a threading optimizer for the Nvidia driver alone in which my tests have shown it has little or no effect in XP where Vista it has been shown to help.

When I see something that does not apply a benefit to use I always disable because the flip side is it may create issues.

conao View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 6:25pm

Hi NickN,

First of all, thank you so much for all your help to optimize our systems!!!

In the Compatibility tab you suggest simply "Optimized for single display modes", without leaving it open in case we use multiple displays. It really doesn't matter if we use multiple displays? I use two displays (single graphics card). I run FSX in one display only and use the other for charts or other utilities. Should I set it to "Optimized for multi display modes" or not?

In another article (the link you posted above) you suggest a few other changes in Nv control panel after configuring nHancer. I suppose we still have to follow those, right?

Regards,

Marconi

Sandbridge i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz
GeForce GTX580 1.5GB
16GB DDR3 2000MHz
SSD 256GB (OS + FSX)
Windows 7 64bits
FSX + MyTrafficX + REX + ASA + UTX + GEX + FSGlobal
Saitek Yoke+Pedals+TQ and VRi MCP+CDU2
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by conao conao wrote:

Hi NickN,

First of all, thank you so much for all your help to optimize our systems!!!

In the Compatibility tab you suggest simply "Optimized for single display modes", without leaving it open in case we use multiple displays. It really doesn't matter if we use multiple displays? I use two displays (single graphics card). I run FSX in one display only and use the other for charts or other utilities. Should I set it to "Optimized for multi display modes" or not?

In another article (the link you posted above) you suggest a few other changes in Nv control panel after configuring nHancer. I suppose we still have to follow those, right?

Regards,

Marconi

If you use a multimonitor setup then make the correct changes based on your system needs

If you mean changes other than 3D in the Nv Control Panel, you must still make those changes.. the 3D settings are never touched in the Nv Control panel

Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 8:44pm
NickN
(We have to stop meeting like this)
Way back above you say: " Do not make any changes in the Nv Control panel for AA and AF after this... you can use the NV control panel for other settings such as color, etc but NOT 3D control." 

So in the NV control panel Do you choose:

1. Let 3d application decide
2. Use the advanced 3D image settings or
3. Use my preferences emphasizing: Quality (or other)

If you choose, 2, ie the middle one do you turn all AA and AF settings OFF for both global and FSX?

Thanks
PeterH

Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 9:12pm

In the Nvidia control panel you dont need to choose anything.. Nhancer will override Nv control completely unless you make a change in the Nv panel no matter how those are set.

However if you wish to access that area you would set: 2. Use the advanced 3D image settings  and click 'take me there" or simply click Manage 3D Setings from the task list from that point on

If you do that it is a good idea to confirm nothing was changed in Nhancer after the Nv control panel is closed. Because Nhancer is a 3rd party app constantly trying to keep up with the changes Nvidia may make to new drivers there can be glitches so when ever you toy around with the Nv panel its usually a good idea to make sure nothing was changed in Nhancer after using Nv control

Anything changed in the "Adjust Images Settings" or in the Advanced 3D list in Nv will override Nhancer. If you start Nhancer you will find the setting you changed in the Nv control panel also selected in Nhancer... and that should be the same for the Nv control advanced area.. you should see the same changes you made Nhancer

You do need to close and reopen each to see the change one or the other made

Its usually best to just stay out of Nv control unless you need the monitor and other support areas for MM support and image tuning

Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 9:58pm

Nick

Many thanks - understood

Peter

Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
kanoasurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanoasurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2009 at 6:10pm

Hi Nick (and all)

First time here (posting...) Absolutely great advice the yours.

I don't know if this is the place to add this question or it should required a different topic. Feel free to move it if necessary.

I'm running FS9 with the Matrox triplehead2go digital. Thanks to your advice I've manged to have FS9 AA working properly in windowed mode. However there is no way on earth I can restart my computer and the settings remain unchanged. I have to open enhancer (2.4.2) highlight the predefine profile (MS Flight Simulator 2004) delete the FS9.exe in the executables box and then the profile I created looks to work again when I start FS9

That is the way I mange to have AA working. Create a new profile and delete the FS9.exe of the original nhancer profile.

I'm also ruining a SLI of two nVidia 7900gtx 512, what are the best settings for a SLI configuration? (I haven't search for this yet so if is posted already forget it, I'll find it...)

Thank you very much indeed, all this advice is helping us a lot!

Kano

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 2:21pm

hi Nick.

So when I restart windows, nHancer (If I made changes the last time) has a menu pop-up on start-up asking to "reimport" FSX and a bunch of other game settings that came with NVidia card?

There are some boxes to check (or uncheck). I've read manual and threads. Still confusing as to which to check etc...

Do you know what I mean here Nick? Can you explain what exactally to do here?

Thanks kindly,

Ken

looking forward to Europe in May

Flying a 2 Seat Simulator Toronto Canada YouTube:KennyKanada
i7 2600k OC-4.5G, GTX680, P8Z68VPro, Mushkin 8G 9-9-9-24, Corsair1050w, CorsairH90, 256SSD, x2-300VRAP, Epson WXGA PowerLite 1760W, W7x64
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 3:40pm

You should not be seeing any popup on windows boot. The first time you start Nhancer after installation of Nhancer, or, ANY video driver update/install you must run Nhancer to set it back up. In that process it may import profiles but once that is complete and you have set up FSX for profile and Global it should not do that again and it should not pop up at Windows start so I am not sure what you are seeing.

There was an update for Nhancer recently.. I am not sure what it was about as I have not had time to look at it.

BradS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 4:03pm
Latest version for nHancer is 2.4.5 (Jan 26, 09).  Here is the link to it: http://www.nhancer.com/?dat=downloads

You can see the changelog here as well.
KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 4:36pm

Thanks Nick!

I don't always see this Re-import menu, but it launches before nHancer (latest version) loads. It only comes up if I change a setting. Eg. I just installed a 9800 GTX+OC card. I wanted to change the "combined 8xs" settings in nHancer and adjust some others.

If I restart windows, I will get this "Reimport" menu from nHamcer. Try and change a setting in the latest nHancer version Nick and then restart windows XP.

There are some strings on Google, but it's confusing. I think I know what to check and what not to (by trial and error). All it will do is revert back to old settings (prior to my changes) if I don't do it right.

Thanks Nick,

Ken.

i7 2600k OC-4.5G, GTX680, P8Z68VPro, Mushkin 8G 9-9-9-24, Corsair1050w, CorsairH90, 256SSD, x2-300VRAP, Epson WXGA PowerLite 1760W, W7x64
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 5:38pm

I do not allow Nhancer to start with Windows. There is no need to. Once those settings are changed they remain.

I do not have time to look into it right now but will later

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 12:10am

Solved!

That seemed to be it Nick.

I unchecked "do not start eNhancer at Windows startup", and I don't get the "Reimport of changed or deleted programs menu" anymore at windows startup. But sometimes my global settings seem to revert back to default??

Once tweaked and I also added the new Matrox drivers for (3)widescreens, it takes out alot of the "stretch". Al looks and runs simply suberb, like never before...for now. A bit of "stuttering". Still playing with the Texture-band width etc...I think I will just leave everything ALONE for a while and just fly.

Thanks again guy's. Great work and great service and knowledge Nick (I don't know how it could all be done without YOU?).

Ken

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 9:34am

Just some more pics of my TH2GO setup. I'd like to build a cockpit enclose this spring and remake the "dashboard".

Ken

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 9:41am

So I just flew for awhile, until...

I started getting jagged edges appear on everything (for no apparent reason). Especially if I change my view to external. I see that sometimes the ENhancer settings have changed??? I reset them (profile and global) and go back to full screen view, and all is smooth and ok. Again, if I change my view, like outside the cockpit, the jagged edges are back. Or sometimes it just will start to appear and FPS may drop as well.

I have memorized "Nicks Settings and Tweaks" already.

QUESTION: Do I have to "start up EnHancer" before I start FSX (or is it automatically detected and started)? Do I just leave it all alone and trust it is on and tuned correctly?

Could this be my newly installed GF 9800GTX+ card? I have the correct drivers (I like the 181. version). Perhaps I should clean out drivers reinstall drivers again etc...? I know I did not follow Nicks "ecact instructions" for reinstalling a new card/drivers. But it seemed to be fine for a while there.

Maybe it's a TH2Go problem (which I know Nick may agree as one of the downsides of TH2Go), however if it worked beautifully for sometimes, then it should work always, no? Just a matter of finding what is "throwing" it back?

And I was just gonna "Fly" for awhile...

Thanks

Ken

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 10:06am

Found some answers of interest on Nhancers site Nick...

How do profiles work?

Each profile is associates with one or more executable files.

When the driver detects that a certain program is requesting a 3D-display, it looks for the executable file of this program and checks, if there is a profile associated with that executable. If it finds such a profile, it uses the settings of that profile.

There is no user activity involved in this, you just have to create a profile with the correct executable files associated with, and that's it. No need to manually activate a profile before starting a game, no need to create a special shortcut for a game.

Just like with the global settings, the profiles are stored in the registry. If you change a profile in any way, the changes are written into the registry immediately. You don't have to press any "Ok" button or save the profile in any other way. Just change a setting and test the effects in the game the profile has been created for.

Tip: Profiles are activated by the driver itself. There is no need for nHancer to be active for profiles to work. You can always shut down nHancer after you've changed a profile, if you prefer so. The changed will still be effective.

Thanks

racegig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racegig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 11:23am

Hello NickN

I did a fresh reinstall of FSX on it's own brand new HDD as per your instructions and rebooting between every steps and checking FPS each time in order to see te results. The machine was working beautifully between 50 and 60 consistent FPS. On the default flight.

But when I got to Nvidia settings section and messed around with Ehancer and duplicated your settings. The display was disaster. Jerky image wirh distorsion and FPS went down to 20 FPS sometime locking and going as low as 6 FPS intermitently.

How do I do to reverse back to the previous settings  and forget about Ehancer?

I have win XP 32

Quad core with Nvidia Gforce 8800 gt updated

FSX Acceleration SP2

I have no scenery or addons installed

Marc

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 11:52am
Originally posted by racegig racegig wrote:

How do I do to reverse back to the previous settings  and forget about Ehancer?

Enter the Nivida driver control panel and have it reset to defaults by clicking RESTORE

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 11:57am
Originally posted by KanadaKen KanadaKen wrote:

So I just flew for awhile, until...

I started getting jagged edges appear on everything (for no apparent reason). Especially if I change my view to external. I see that sometimes the ENhancer settings have changed??? I reset them (profile and global) and go back to full screen view, and all is smooth and ok. Again, if I change my view, like outside the cockpit, the jagged edges are back. Or sometimes it just will start to appear and FPS may drop as well.

I have memorized "Nicks Settings and Tweaks" already.

QUESTION: Do I have to "start up EnHancer" before I start FSX (or is it automatically detected and started)? Do I just leave it all alone and trust it is on and tuned correctly?

Could this be my newly installed GF 9800GTX+ card? I have the correct drivers (I like the 181. version). Perhaps I should clean out drivers reinstall drivers again etc...? I know I did not follow Nicks "ecact instructions" for reinstalling a new card/drivers. But it seemed to be fine for a while there.

Maybe it's a TH2Go problem (which I know Nick may agree as one of the downsides of TH2Go), however if it worked beautifully for sometimes, then it should work always, no? Just a matter of finding what is "throwing" it back?

And I was just gonna "Fly" for awhile...

Thanks

Ken

Ken I do not use the THgo system so I do not know if it is somehow overriding the driver profiles. Once the settings are made in Nhancer they should remain and you can NOT make changes in the Nvidia driver control panel under Manage 3D Setting or it will revert the Nhancer changes.

There was a new version of Nhancer released.. perhaps the drivers and hardware you use may need some type of support that update may provide

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 12:10pm

Thanks Nick.

I think it may just be the new NHancer 2.4.5 version that's giving me trouble here? Also Matrox Manager's latest updated drivers (CMX utility), may conflict.

The maximum setting I have in FSX display resolution is 4090 x 980. There is no setting in FSX for the newer 5080 x 1050 resolution that Matrox setup added for triple widescreens.

I will investigate further with all the Matrox/NHancer/NVidia drivers compatability etc...

I guess it's like a high performance aircraft. For every hour of flight time, it requires 4 hours of mechanical maintenence?

Ken

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 1:21pm

When you run such a setup you have special needs you must deal with. Once you get it figured out I am sure it will be fine however when we buy a 60ft yacht insead of a typical 20ft boat we must pay the price for our toys in time and money

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 7:45pm

Hey Nick...how did you know? I used to have a 33 ft. sailboat. "A big hole in the water in which you throw money"

I think I solved the AA jagged edges problem. Unfortunately I had to diable the AA in NHancer and let the "application" decide. Then I enabled the box for Anti-Alias in FSX and VIOLA! It is now all smooth as silk in any view. It could be a TH2Go thing, with such a large expansion across three screens and AA in NHancer. But it worked nicely. Any drawbacks you know of by doing this Nick?

I'll try to test-fly tonight and see if all is stable.

Thanks,

Ken

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 9:31pm

are you running Vista and DX10?  If so Nhancer has no control, neither will the Nvidia control panel. DX10 is broken in FSX and will only respect the DX flag Aces put into it for AA.. and its a very low quality AA compared to the fill hardware control.

I have 62ft Searay

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 10:49am

I'm running XP(32) DX9, Core Dual, 9800GTX+,etc.. It seems so wonderfully stable and smooth now...for now.

62feet! WOW! The power consumption on that rig must be enormous? You live in a great area to cruise around. Ever make it up to Vancouver, BC? Gulf Islands (my old stompin/sailin' grounds).

Thanks Nick,

Ken

ps...if you ever need qualified crew...?

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 2:43pm

Nick...now out of knowhere...my cursor keeps flahing only in FSX and I cannot get any 2D cockpits in any aircraft.

My aircraft config files all have the entries (or lack of);

model =

panel=

sound=

with no entries or numbers beside them? Could this be a problem. I do get 3D cockpits and I enabled 2D in game, to no avail.

Man the hours of tweaking are really adding up here!

Thanks,

Ken

KanadaKen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KanadaKen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 10:46am

Ok all soved!

A problem with the new 181. driver and Matrox new widescreen resolutions.

I reverted back to the 180. driver and the old widescreen resolutions. Everything is now stable. My 2D cockpits are back! My tweaks are exactally as per Nicks and I'm not gonna touch a thing for a long while.

The old adage..."If it ain't broke...don't fix it!" goes a long way here. But we all seem to have this tendancy for "FPS-itis" and constantly craving improvement (until we are actually flying a real plane from our desk...circa 2059)?

Thanks all.  It's back to work (and then a quick flight around CYYZ).

Ken

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 11:50am

I figured if you worked this long enough you would find the solution. My suggestion around that rig with the Matox is once you find a drive that works, stick with it.

My crew usually consists of myself and another... sometimes 2, it depends on how lucky I get

I took her up to and around southern Alaska a few years back during the summer as a shake-down cruise.

Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic