SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GEX Enhanced Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GEX Enhanced Update
    Posted: January-24-2008 at 3:53am
Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2008 at 8:02am
Good work!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 1:39am

Fall and Winter:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24776&PN=1

GEXENHANCED

Hard Winter coming soon

Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 3:02am

Shocked

When we have this update?

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 10:06am

I am really trying for around the end of next week but please do not hold me to that. If I come up short on that tenative deadline it won't be too long past that though. I still need to finish hard winter and the SW mod, then go though the UTX textures that GEX may display to be sure they are matched for the update. Anthony is hard at work creating textures, as always  Smile

Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 10:40am
No problems, we all can wait for a little Tongue time. No beta-test of this textures?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 3:57pm

If we do that, it wont be until everything is completed because I am shifting textures around a bit and without the entire package any beta test outside of myself or Anthony, in which we know whats in the beta and what isn't, may produce confusion in that the tester sees.

If/when we do release to test, I am sure you will will be updated.

I am tweaking this so all seasons work with each other so to release it right now would not allow you to get the 'full effect"

Smile

Brian W Keske View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian W Keske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 4:13pm
Excellent work Nick.Wink
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2008 at 6:00pm

Summer's Up

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24783&PID=139759#139759

GEXENHANCED

Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 7:59am
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

If we do that, it wont be until everything is completed because I am shifting textures around a bit and without the entire package any beta test outside of myself or Anthony, in which we know whats in the beta and what isn't, may produce confusion in that the tester sees.

If/when we do release to test, I am sure you will will be updated.

I am tweaking this so all seasons work with each other so to release it right now would not allow you to get the 'full effect"

Smile

Ok, thanks Wink

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2008 at 6:53pm

The new Hard Winter is almost complete...

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24794&PID=139824#139824

GEXENHANCED

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 1:14am
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 2:53am
dave92270 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave92270 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2008 at 9:34pm
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 5:42am

Last set of snags.

Its time to wrap it up and prepare it for release

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24817&PN=1

Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 6:13am
WOW! Incredible!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 10:20am

Some Xclass and FSG landclass issues, which were never a GEX responsibility, are now fixed.

Here is one more set of images after checking. It also shows the transition form days to nights with the new nitetime textures

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24832&PN=1

GEXENHANCED

The mod of the primary GEX system is now complete and Anthony is checking it over for QC. We are moving into enhancing the needed UTX and SW mod files now. It is possible we may be able to incorporate the SW mod into the main body so the mod is no longer needed and will appear correctly in GEX Enhanced without it however that is not a 100% deal yet so stay tuned and we will let you know how it works out.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2008 at 5:04pm

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24836&PN=1

Yes I know Anthony.       Back to work!!

LOL

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 10:04am

The Grand Canyon is up

Anthonys flight with SceneryTech Landclass

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24898

XClass Landclass

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24899

Default Landclass:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24900&PN=1

Its all about choices and GEX Enhanced gives them to you!

I have to be careful about sending him updates...

Anthony is flying now instead of making textures

LOL

GEXENHANCED

NormNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 4:01pm
Thanks for the comparitive screenshots Nick and your explanation of the vertical FSX effect in the Grand Canyon - have only been to 'The Canyon" once but it is one of the most fantastic sights I have ever seen and was so impressed with the  horizontal erosion effect.

Trying to decide on a final set of add-ons for the U.S. (GEX is already there!!!) and am wondering which mesh Anthony and yourself use.

Thanks
Norm
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 8:30pm

I use FSGenesis 10m USA mesh and the FSX world mesh. Justin is getting ready to release (already started to release) v2.0 which fixes the airport plateus

rss0900 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rss0900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 8:44pm
So any update on the update?   Still look like Friday by 5:00PM?  Big%20smile
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 10:07pm

Quiet, isn't  it       its sort of like Christmas     

With Christmas you know what day, you just dont know what you may be getting.

With this, you know what you are getting but have the suspense of not knowing what day you will be getting it.

I can tell you I have completed the update and have completed testing on my end.

There will always be more to do and after it is released and we get feedback other updates and fixes will be evaluated.

I will let Anthony or Steve make any official announcements. I am a JAFO right now and waiting like everyone else   LOL

rss0900 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rss0900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 11:08pm
Well OK that's fair enough, won't be long now I'm sure.   Thank you.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 12:27am

I am sure it will not be much longer

I will continue to support the update after the release and as I may find ways to improve it, I will add those improvements to support fixes as they may be released.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 2:00am

I can announce that the SW mod will no longer be needed for GEXn-hanced.

The update not only fixed the southwest but also the north, south east and west... no more flat yellow with no details in northern flat-lands and no more flat yellow, no scenery textures in the south west.

Your landclass file will now determine what you see. Not required but for best results in freedom of choice I would have SceneryTech, Xclass, FSGenesis installed and properly layered in the scenery library if you use UTX and only enable one landclass as needed for the area you are in.

In example, if you prefer a more dry desert, use default or SceneryTech LC. If you prefer a bit of green scrub, use Xclass... its about choices now and GEX allows you to change the look based on the landclass being run. The 3 threads in the screenshot forum demonstrate one aspect of that as each landclass will produce a different scene for the grand canyon, however, unlike the past where you ended up with desert everywhere and no life as far as the eye could see, all now work and produce a scene that has much more than a flat color in it...  so its up to you which one you like and wish to fly enabling/switching landclass products.

Even if you do not have a payware LC, what the default produces is now 10x better.

Unfortunately no lanclass product is perfect and that is why I suggest all 3 of the major products be installed and ready to use/enable as needed

PhilC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 3:32pm
Nick... I just have to say it...

You are amazing! Thank you for making it so much better each update.

Get some sleep... I can wait.
PhilC 'Snowman'
geognut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geognut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 5:22pm

Can't wait for the update! Nice work.

For those of us who already use the SW Mod textures, will we need to remove them? I assume GEX Enhanced will overwrite the textures with new files. I was never sure how to remove the SW Mod texture set anyway...

Thanks! 

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 8:34pm

Yes, this update will overwrite it all automatically

The idea was to simplify things and deliver the best experience possible at the same time

Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 6:55am

Yes, this update will overwrite it all automatically

The idea was to simplify things and deliver the best experience possible at the same time

So it will be perfect!

scnrfrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scnrfrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 7:58am
Will it still be released sometime today?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:36am

OK Guys... here is an update

I have identified a way to fix most of the airport pad issues in which ACES left us with SQUAT to work with. In order to do that its going to take a day or so to get it sorted out.

This was an unexpected perk that I have been thinking about ways to solve for weeks and it looks as though I have found an answer just yesterday, but need today to work it out and get it to Anthony

I said last week we were shooting for the end of this week and for the most part WE MADE IT... however, if you want this done right we need another day or so to put the cherry on the cake so PLEASE be patient and know this release is indeed imminent!

The airport pads will also be highly affected by the landclass you use. The default landclass ACES provided and the texture layout they provided are terrible for producing well balanced airport pad surfaces, therefore the landclass you have installed will greatly affect what you see and I highly recommend you purchase SceneryTech and Xclass (FSGenesis too) so you can switch back and forth depending on the area in order to correct the ACES issues left with the default files and let you see FSX as it should be.

Artus_407 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artus_407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 11:19am
Hey Nic,

that really sounds fantastic. Take your day bur not more Wink

Cheers,

Carsten
golfcart23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golfcart23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 5:23pm
Nick,

I already have xClass installed. Once I apply the latest update to GEX - will I then need to do anything to xClass? Confused
Tony P

Intel i7 @ 4.5
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 5:45pm

Originally posted by golfcart23 golfcart23 wrote:

Nick,

I already have xClass installed. Once I apply the latest update to GEX - will I then need to do anything to xClass? Confused

You have the ability to switch between landclass products during flight... All you need to do is go to the menu by clicking ALT on the keyboard, then on the menu, WORLD - SCENERY LIBRARY then scroll down and uncheck the landclass you have installed to use the FSX default landclass.

At the same time you can have all the different payware landclass products installed and simply enable ONE for the area you are in. (only use ONE at a time) Its the same process to switch... click ALT then on the menu, WORLD - SCENERY LIBRARY then scroll down and uncheck landclass "A" and check landclass "B"

Upon selecting OK the sim will reload and place you exactly where you were in your flight but with a new landclass in action.

Just because you purchased a single landclass does not mean you are bound to use it and it alone. Many times I will switch from Xclass to SceneryTech... or, just uncheck them all and use the default

It depends on where you are flying and that choice is up to you. Some areas produce identical visual results with all the landclass products and others produce vastly different representations.

In desert areas this is especially true. Default, SceneryTech and XClass will produce completely different results in many desert (both northern and southern) environments.  The Salt Lake City area is very much changed by switching to Xclass, SceneryTech or using default. Each one produces a different layout and look.

Donít think because you bought one landclass that it all you need. You can stick with one and simply accept what it gives you, or, you can have several installed and enable the one you find works best for a certain area...

If you have UTX installed you MUST layer the landclass products you install correctly or it will screw up the advantages UTX provides.

golfcart23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golfcart23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 7:01pm
" If you have UTX installed you MUST layer the landclass products you install correctly or it will screw up the advantages UTX provides. "

Nick,

Excellent info.... your quote above - layered, as in where the xClass is listed in the scenery library? I do have UTX so I must ask you for a bit more help.

Thanks in advance

Tony P

Intel i7 @ 4.5
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 7:14pm

" If you have UTX installed you MUST layer the landclass products you install correctly or it will screw up the advantages UTX provides. "

Nick,

Excellent info.... your quote above - layered, as in where the xClass is listed in the scenery library? I do have UTX so I must ask you for a bit more help.

Thanks in advance

The different landclass product all have their ups and their downs. There is no such thing as the perfect landclass, that is just a fact. If you are looking to be sure you are covered its best to have them all, properly layered in with UTX and only one enabled at a time as needed for the area you are in.

UTX alone, in my opinion, is not enough. it does cover urban areas but it does not cover outside of those very well. Its best to have another landclass layered in the scenery library with UTX as shown below:

UT LANDCLASS - Urban

LANDCLASS  X <-------------- Place all landclass products between the UTX Urban and Vegetation layers and enable as needed (only ONE)

LANDCLASS  Y <------------------|

LANDCLASS  Z <------------------|

UT LANDCLASS - Vegetation

You can purchase SceneryTech, right here...

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=sctechna

I personally do not enable any of the ST special features such as improved galciers because the new GEX textures have those textures covered and they will be overwritten by ST if you select that feature during install. I just install the landclass and thats it.

FSGeneis is another LC product which I use, but rarely.

sludgeface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sludgeface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 8:37pm

I've read this thread with great interest, as I've been very curious about landclass addons. I did install the Scenerytech LC just now, and I do not see any difference in the area I'm currently flying (Southern Ontario).

I do have both UT Canada/USA and GEX installed, and I placed the Scenerytech LC as you suggested in between UT Urban and UT Veg. Do I have something else messed up? There's quite a bit of stuff being layered above the default FSX stuff.

Oh I also have FSGenesis Mesh installed as well. Other than the Flight1 and FSGenesis products, I have no other scenery addons installed.

I guess I just turned this into a tech support thread, and I apologise. :/

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 5:28am
Originally posted by sludgeface sludgeface wrote:

I've read this thread with great interest, as I've been very curious about landclass addons. I did install the Scenerytech LC just now, and I do not see any difference in the area I'm currently flying (Southern Ontario).

I do have both UT Canada/USA and GEX installed, and I placed the Scenerytech LC as you suggested in between UT Urban and UT Veg. Do I have something else messed up? There's quite a bit of stuff being layered above the default FSX stuff.

Oh I also have FSGenesis Mesh installed as well. Other than the Flight1 and FSGenesis products, I have no other scenery addons installed.

I guess I just turned this into a tech support thread, and I apologise. :/

Try other areas with the SC landclass enabled and disabled  

A good one to test is Salt Lake City around the airport. You will see the difference between the default landclass and SC there.

make sure you do not have any other landclass enabled.. you only enable one at a time so if you enable SC, disable any other you may use. If you dont have any other LC product when you disable SC it will use the FSX default.

Sometimes the default LC produces the same result as other LC products. Try Salt Lake international. take off and circle the airport a few times and take a good look around, then while still circling... disable SC from the scenery library throuh the menu, click OK let it reload and continue to circle

if you dont see a difference, something is not installed right

raptorx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptorx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 11:35am

Nick,

Thanks in advance

The different landclass product all have their ups and their downs. There is no such thing as the perfect landclass, that is just a fact. If you are looking to be sure you are covered its best to have them all, properly layered in with UTX and only one enabled at a time as needed for the area you are in.

UTX alone, in my opinion, is not enough. it does cover urban areas but it does not cover outside of those very well. Its best to have another landclass layered in the scenery library with UTX as shown below:

UT LANDCLASS - Urban

LANDCLASS  X <-------------- Place all landclass products between the UTX Urban and Vegetation layers and enable as needed (only ONE)

LANDCLASS  Y <------------------|

LANDCLASS  Z <------------------|

UT LANDCLASS - Vegetation

You can purchase SceneryTech, right here...

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=sctechna

I personally do not enable any of the ST special features such as improved galciers because the new GEX textures have those textures covered and they will be overwritten by ST if you select that feature during install. I just install the landclass and thats it.

FSGeneis is another LC product which I use, but rarely.

Nick, I can't tell which files are GEX or FSGenesis in my scenery library.  I have a bunch of 4 digit file names in the scenery library, is that FSGenesis?  Do I put UT Urban above all those 4 digit-name files and UT vegetation below? 

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic