SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A FAIR COMPARISON...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A FAIR COMPARISON...
    Posted: January-01-2008 at 2:20pm

There has been some question as to GEX with no other add-ons installed making no difference in the visual.

I consider this comparison fair because I have the hardware able to display FSX correctly, and, I selected an area I know from the air but at the same time I used a random selection process to place the aircraft and snag shots. By doing so I maintained a realistically random and fair analysis of the results and I did not present shots that would display the maximum or the minimum difference between FSX default and GEX textures. These will be what I consider average and random.

I really did not want to do this since it required thrashing my FSX install to death but I went ahead and uninstalled all my add-ons except for GEX. I made sure UTX, FEX, FSG, XClass and any other add-on was removed and took the following images for comparison.

PLEASE NOTE: I randomly selected locations in order to demonstrate several things. I did not purposely locate small areas that show huge changes but instead selected random locations around Seattle and moved the aircraft there using the map, then set the angle of the camera, snagged the shot and saved the flight.

In doing so I did not try to hide defects/issues. The random location selection (dragging the aircraft to a spot) using the FSX map assured I would not know what the terrain would present and all I did was set the zoom and angle so the ground could be seen. I maintained the same graphic settings and with the flights saved, it maintaind the exact same lighting and camera angle results.

These images are not the best GEX can deliver, they are just a random selection around the Seattle area, which I also know from the air since I live here.

Also be aware these are large images and as such I had to compress them more than I wished to meet forum rules for image weight. Because of that, there is quality lost compared to 'in-game' results.

FSX DEFAULT

GEX

NOTE: The same golf course ‘abrupt edge’ defect exists in the default FSX and the GEX. GEX does not change the landclass and as such in many places you will see the same 'cut-off' image.

What GEX does provide here is a much richer color which is correct for this area, and, it depicts the correct green around city buildings.

Not to mention the higher detailed streets. With UTX (not shown in these images) that detail is magnified by quite a bit which is a direct result of GEX.

Even with the default there is no denying GEX makes streets and the surrounding environments more robust.

FSX DEFAULT

GEX

Again, the same robust color which is correct for the area is displayed by GEX and it also adds the correct flora in the city areas which DO NOT all look like asphalt and concrete.

The same "cut-off' defect for one tile is seen in both images to the right of the aircrat but since GEX is more colorful and robust, it is easier to see. This is again a landclass issue not GEX (it is seen in both)

There is also a minor defect in a tennis court texture seen in the GEX image however as Anthony is made aware of problems like that, he works on fixes... Aces is finished with FSX so what you see is what you get.

Street detail is magnificent in GEX.

FSX DEFAULT

GEX

With these images you can see the difference in color again and you can see the changes made from FSX default, however, this set does display a golf course texture cut-off issue which if I am not mistaken Anthony is working on those textures for the next patch.

What I do wish to point out is the overall appearance of ground vegetation which does not look like a wet sponge painted it as the default FSX texture depict.

The area is not cluttered and well defined. Overall the FSX default is so busy it simply does not allow the defintion of the streets and housing developments to come out. I can even see the shrubs on property boundries in GEX.

There is no comparison. As Anthony upgrade the product the minor defects I pointed out will disappear.

FSX DEFAULT

GEX

I happen to know this and the next area from the air very well. The large urban parking lot and buildings are a school. The default FSX textures make that school look like an industrial park in size, which is very inaccurate. The GEX shot shows the school in its proper scale with the right type and amount of ground vegetation. The higher definition ground vegetation is no comparison to the default which tends to look like a wet sponge dabbed it on the texture.

FSX DEFAULT

GEX

There is no comparison here. Although there are similarities between these two, the definition and layout of the autogen in the GEX image along with the color tone makes it the obvious choice for desired use.

The FSX default crams vegetation and autogen together and although it appears a bit 'busier" from the air with an artistic 'trick' the veg texture artist attempted to use, this area is not crammed together like that in real life. The GEX image is much more indicative of the real deal. On a clear day like this you can see a very defined ground from the air, not a clustered blur.

One big highlight is the street grid becomes apparent as it should from the air.

Anyone who can not see the difference between default and GEX is in my opinion, blind, or your computer is making things so blurred and muddy you can not tell the difference.

There is no comparison

GEX is a "MUST HAVE" add-on.

And when it comes to integration with UTX and others, GEX really brings FSX to life

Choice is yours.

I would not fly without it.  

ClapClapClapClap  Hats off to Anthony and the GEX Beta Team

J van E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J van E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2008 at 3:08pm

'A fair comparison' (in capitals...), implying and suggesting that my topic was UNfair...? Ouch 

Still, your pictures look good: I can see the difference. I am not THAT blind. Wink I am sure I will reconsider GEX when the Europe version is released: that's where I live and so that release is of more importance to me. I think that makes a difference too (that the addon makes the place where you live more like it is in real life). And I also already planned to buy UTX for Europe (when it is released) and who knows I may get that WOW-effect by that time at some places... Tongue

Good luck with reinstalling all addons. Wink

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by J van E J van E wrote:

'A fair comparison' (in capitals...), implying and suggesting that my topic was UNfair...? Ouch 

Still, your pictures look good: I can see the difference. I am not THAT blind. Wink I am sure I will reconsider GEX when the Europe version is released: that's where I live and so that release is of more importance to me. I think that makes a difference too (that the addon makes the place where you live more like it is in real life). And I also already planned to buy UTX for Europe (when it is released) and who knows I may get that WOW-effect by that time at some places... Tongue

Good luck with reinstalling all addons. Wink

I’m sorry but no, I did not consider your comparison or the supporting conclusions fair. One of the issues I could easily see is that your system did not seem to produce the higher resolution results that GEX was designed for. At the same time the images being shown were selected from the GEX previews and although they were areas of interest, I personally found them not to be a good comparison to default. Plus, GEX is a project in motion and it is being updated to fix issues and upgrade the results.

There is much, much more to the USA and Canada than the areas used for the demo flight depict. What is important of course is how it looks to you personally. I have compared GEX to default and then looked at it with other add-ons installed. There is simply no way I would fly FSX without GEX installed. The differences far outweigh the similarities.

A great portion of it is are the defined high res differences such as being able to see street painted lines and shub lines around properties. If your computer is already struggling with FSX it is very possible you are simply not seeing what is there and what GEX is able to produce. Much of that can also be traced back to an improerly set up Windows and optimized disk system which I have covered in great detail at SimV and here in this forum.

I would highly suggest you get UTX Europe and GEX. The two together will probably give you that "oh my gosh" result you are looking for. When FTX is released which pinpoint targets area that will really put the icing on the cake.

Regardless, GEX can hold its own even if you do not use the others. FSX default is not sharp and color corrected to mention the least of the difference.

Good luck to you as well and I hope you can get your system to display better images in time. I think you will probably notice the major differences GEX makes at that point.

Smile

vwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2008 at 3:36pm

I took these Grand Canyon pics using GEX. I'm also trying out a small texture switch program from Avsim (search under author Garett Schmidt and file name SW USA Desert Texture Mod). Not sure if it affects any of the textures shown but I do like the colours.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24357

Victor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2008 at 6:47pm

Not bad. It appears to be making some changes to the sand. The canyon is not all red and yellow. It has a good portion of green in it too. It really not red either but leans toward that hue.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2008 at 8:26pm

Just for giggles, here are the full install images... GEX, UTX, FEX, XClass, etc

You can save them all (these and the ones above) to a folder and run them in the Windows picture and fax viewer to see the differences. Even UTX introduces some elements that are not accurate but in other areas it fixes landclass problems.

With add-ons, its all give and take but none the less, overall if you are looking for a sim that will render the world in such a way it provides the sense of realism one wants, you need all the add-ons and properly tweaked/layered.

DEFAULT:

COMPLETE:

DEFAULT:

COMPLETE:

The incorrect 'cut-off" texture is corrected with UTX and the city area with more concrete and asphalt is pushed further  <-----west where it belongs.

DEFAULT:

COMPLETE:

This is one area where UTX "somewhat" fails.. The large industrial area is not correct for this location. There is a smaller shopping center and complex but it does not cut into the golf course. We cant have 100% perfection with add-ons designed to cover the entire USA  LOL  

DEFAULT:

COMPLETE:

DEFAULT:

COMPLETE:

Again, there are a few areas where UTX takes some liberty in conception however overall, the area is much better rendered.

vwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 7:35am
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

The canyon is not all red and yellow. It has a good portion of green in it too. 

Is that the case throughout the year then? Wouldn't that be a landclass thing rather than texture?

Victor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 10:17am
Originally posted by vwest vwest wrote:

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

The canyon is not all red and yellow. It has a good portion of green in it too. 

Is that the case throughout the year then? Wouldn't that be a landclass thing rather than texture?

It varies throughout the year however the red coloring is really based on the sun and shadows. The GC is full of colors, mostly earth tones which lean toward the red spectrum however there is much in the way of green especially on the top and down in the river area.

The red is more a rust color than dark red. The darker red color is created by sun shadow and moisture content. There are layers of different colors which goes back millions of years to when the canyon as we know it today was at the bottom of the land mass we now call North America close to a billion years ago. The land has eroded from the original crust created during Earths development. The canyon is one of the last places on earth where geologist can look back at a layer of the earth’s crust which was molten and underneath 10-25,000+ ft of mountains and land. Over the last billion years it eroded down to what we know today. The last part of the erosion was massive water runoff which cut the final pattern in the walls. Walls of water a thousand feet high rushing through the area from melting glaciers and ice packs from ice age cycles, and finally simple weather changes trickled down to what we know as the Colorado River today

http://www.huygens.org/sape/pilotage/westcoast/canyon-air2.jpg

http://www.huygens.org/sape/pilotage/westcoast/canyon-air3.jpg

http://www.huygens.org/sape/pilotage/westcoast/canyon-air1.jpg

http://www.huygens.org/sape/pilotage/westcoast/092.jpg

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic