SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UT Europe - Alpes with Holgerís mesh!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UT Europe - Alpes with Holgerís mesh!
    Posted: February-03-2006 at 1:22pm
Holger Sandmann (compilation) and Jonathan de Ferranti (source data) have provided free (!) LOD 10 (38m) mesh for the Alpes, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France. (Get it at AvSim)

here's 6 shots, three of Northern Italy, north of Udine, I don't know the exact location, scusa!

the last three shots are Austria, the Drachenwand (Dragon's Wall), the Schafberg (sheep mountain) and the Dachstein (largest mt. of Upper Austria).

the 38m mesh works great with UT Europe, I am pleased to report!

Allow me to post larger shots so you can better see the improved mesh! Make sure to set terrain_max_vertex_level = 20  (or 21) in fs9.cfg though! (21 also works but doesn't improve the scenery, as it's meant for 19.6m (LOD11) mesh)

enjoy! cheers, Marc!

ITALY: three shots

AUSTRIA: three shots (below)

vfr_canuck View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vfr_canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 1:26pm

God Bless Holger! What a great guy.

Will be great to go fly the PC-12 in its natural home!

VFR_Canuck
Cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by vfr_canuck vfr_canuck wrote:

God Bless Holger! What a great guy.

yep ... hard to imagine simming without him!
Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 3:22pm
Great shots but what kind of cloud set do you have? Is this the 'normal' weather of FS2004 or some addon? The mood of some screenshot are incredible!
Cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Vigilius Vigilius wrote:

Great shots but what kind of cloud set do you have? Is this the 'normal' weather of FS2004 or some addon? The mood of some screenshot are incredible!

ahh molto grazie! it's Active Sky 6
beckerm13 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckerm13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 8:11pm
Cole:

I currently have FSTerrain installed for Europe.  That is a 76m mesh.  Can Holgerís mesh be  used to supplement a higher level mesh, so long as it is a higher level in the FS scenery settings?

Thanks!

Marty
meshman View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meshman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 8:19pm

FS will utilize the more detailed mesh automatically, that is the higher the LOD. AFAIK, only should same level LOD mesh be installed, then priority in the scenery library is used.

Since Holger's is 38.6m it will be used in the area in lieu of 76m FSTerrain.

beckerm13 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckerm13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2006 at 8:29pm
Thanks for the explanation!

Marty
Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 1:41am

Originally posted by Cole Cole wrote:

ahh molto grazie! it's Active Sky 6

Active sky 6 has a great impact on FPS  or is it friendly?

Cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 4:10am

Active sky 6 has a great impact on FPS  or is it friendly?

clouds always hit the frames, but AS6 doesn't affect 'em more than the default weather!
Cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 4:11am
Originally posted by beckerm13 beckerm13 wrote:

Cole:

I currently have FSTerrain installed for Europe.  That is a 76m mesh.  Can Holgerís mesh be  used to supplement a higher level mesh, so long as it is a higher level in the FS scenery settings?

Thanks!

Marty

in addition to what meshman said, do not remove the 76 m mesh if you install 38m mesh, because the lower res mesh will be visible in the distance!
aliditalia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aliditalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 8:03am

The 38 meters mesh overwrites the mesh with lower resolution, only in territory where is designed. Substantially rea the mesh and design the bgl with most points designed.

This mesh (freeware) is the best for the Alps, i've tested it in South Tyrol, and every peak is correctly represented. I must say it is a must, and with UT Europe will be faboulous to flight over.

Francesco Mandelli
www.aliditalia.com
www.aliditalia.blogspot.com
HolgerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolgerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 1:20pm

Hi all,

thanks for those screenshots, Marc. Looks like we have good fit there indeed

Like I mentioned in the docs and elsewhere, credit should mainly go to Jonathan as he did 99% of the work. I merely stumbled across his website and compiled the files for FS use. The data are very clean and in the standard SRTM format so anyone with basic knowledge about FS mesh design can do it. In fact, it would be great if other designers took advantage of these data for their own projects. Jonathan's website is at http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html

There is a bug in the Austria mesh file that creates a major spike near Salzburg. I'm working on a patch but JohnCi over at Avsim has already posted a temporary fix: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum= 121&topic_id=301638&mesg_id=301638&page =

Cheers, Holger

beckerm13 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckerm13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 1:37pm
I tried the new Switzerland mesh.  After disabling my Switzerland Pro scenery and installing the new mesh , I was surprised at how good the elevations looked.  

On thing I noticed , and I'm sure that this is not the mesh doing it, was that Lake Thun and Lake Brienz were not visible when viewing the area around Interlaken.  The lakes were just land textures.

Marty
HolgerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolgerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 2:06pm

Hi Marty,

I believe the issue with the lakes is due to de-activating rather than uninstalling Switzerland Pro. Our mesh files are mesh only but Switzerlan Pro does disable some of the default lake files, which conflict with their more accurate placement of the water bodies.

Cheers, Holger

beckerm13 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckerm13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 3:04pm
Thanks Holger for the explanation.

Marty
Cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 3:17pm
Marty, I would keep the mesh of Switzerland Pro, as it's 19m. (Provided you got FS9.1. and TVML 21)

HolgerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolgerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 3:45pm

Hi Marc,

I assume you meant to say "I would keep the mesh of Switzerland Pro"? The mesh itself is probably of better quality than our Switzerland mesh files.

BTW, since our source data are not true 38-m data there is no need from a mesh accuracy standpoint to use TMVL=20 (instead of the default 19) with our mesh files. However, I prefer to use 20 because it makes other features of the terrain, such as the roadcuts of UT Europe, look better (without the terrain shadowing issues that a setting of 21 can create). I sure hope that the next version of FS comes with a better solution to the unending manual changes of TMVL settings.  

Cheers, Holger

Cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 4:19pm
oops sorry, yes, that was a typo of course, I have corrected it!

(it shows that I'm approaching 40 ... )
HolgerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolgerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 5:01pm

Hey, what are you trying to say, I'm approaching 41!

The threads at Avsim and simFlight now have attached the patch for the faux-pas at Salzburg: down with the "TV tower"

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=48889

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum= 121&topic_id=301638&mesg_id=301638&page =

Cheers, Holger

vwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2006 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by HolgerS HolgerS wrote:

Hey, what are you trying to say, I'm approaching 41!

OMG!! I'm older than Holger!!   

Victor
aliditalia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aliditalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2006 at 2:22am

Me too

tomorrow 47

Francesco Mandelli
www.aliditalia.com
www.aliditalia.blogspot.com
Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2006 at 3:27am

Me too

I'm about 45 and 1/2 but "don't worry be happy!"  We have enough time to fly, fly, fly, ...

Cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2006 at 5:00am
one more ...

Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2006 at 5:56am

You are a bit sadist!

You are flying with this oustanding addon  and I, poor mortal man, can only wait for it!

Good shots as always

Cole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2006 at 6:14am

You are a bit sadist!

hehehe ...

but you know, in this last shot, there's not really anything of UT Europe in it ... it's only a mesh show-off

But I believe you won't have to wait very long! We have already tested beta five.

so long, Marc!
HolgerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolgerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2006 at 4:03pm

Hi all,

I just posted a new Beta version of the patch for the problems near Salzburg here: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?p=299577#299577

Ciao, Holger

Flying'sCool! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying'sCool! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2006 at 8:47pm

Flying over the alps is cool. 

I've only been to Germany once, but we came in over the alps, and the mountain tops were sticking out of the clouds, and in various places you would see these towns and small communities nestled in between the mountain tops yet above the clouds.  Must be really cool to be living there, and looking out over the tops of the clouds :-)

Thomas Perry

Cruachan View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 7:57pm

Hi Holger,

"I sure hope that the next version of FS comes with a better solution to the unending manual changes of TMVL settings."  

.......here's how I get around this problem:

It's not as complicated as it looks. Basically each profile calls a uniquely named version of FS9.cfg with the appropriate parameter adjustments for each situation I may wish to fly.

D=Desktop enabled,  D+P=Desktop+printer active,  Nil Stopped simply means I have not terminated any background programs or services - great for making quick dips into the sim to check something out.

It does make life a lot easier

Regards,

Mike

Spidious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spidious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2006 at 12:00am
I installed the alps and am amazed at just how realistic it looks !
Below are a few shots.

Vigilius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2006 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Cruachan Cruachan wrote:

Hi Holger,

Basically each profile calls a uniquely named version of FS9.cfg with the appropriate parameter adjustments for each situation I may wish to fly.

DIt does make life a lot easier

Regards,

Mike

How can you have several version of FS9,cfg?

Cruachan View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2006 at 8:22am

Hi,

"How can you have several version of FS9.cfg?"

.......Simple:

As far as FSAutoStart is concerned the location of these files is important. All you have to do is place them in the FS9 root folder:

Ken Salter did the community a very great service when he provided us with this invaluable utility.

Oh, in case you were wondering, the other profile icons have simply had the number of running services and/or programs  adjusted to fit my needs.

Cheers,

Mike

beckerm13 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckerm13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2006 at 9:47pm
In regards to my note above in this thread, I removed my Switzerland Pro scenery to see the true effects.  My lakes did reappear after removal.  Thanks Holger for that tip. The scenery does look very nice.

One question; I have the whole Suisse 2004 airport scenery package installed.  Many of the airports are partially showing. Looks like the airport elevations are off using this new mesh.  Is that the case?

Thanks!

Marty
HolgerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolgerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 12:37pm

Hi Marty,

sorry, what do you mean by "partially showing"? Do you mean on plateaus or in trenches or that the runways and taxiways disappear in places? The former would be an incompatibility with the mesh but the latter would indicate a missing flatten file for that area. If it's a missing flatten file then let me know a specific airfield and I can tell you which file to hunt for.

Cheers, Holger

beckerm13 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckerm13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 7:02pm
Here is two screen shots of Wangen-Lachen. Notice that a piece of the runway, the taxiways lines and also the default airport is off to the side.

Marty

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic