SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Scenery and Mission Making Tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thumbnail Maker in P3D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejwells811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thumbnail Maker in P3D
    Posted: September-02-2014 at 8:39pm
Has anyone had success getting the thumbnail maker to work in the latest version of IS3 for P3D_V2.3? I get everything up to the test object showing, but there's no "green screen" to be found anywhere. Went by the directions line by line, weather clear, orientation to North, alt 2000. Start IS3, select Thumbnail Maker, but the screen remains just the scenery background and the test Object (Barn) appears.
Ed Wells, TSgt, AFRC (Retired)

301st FW, NAS Fort Worth
ejwells811 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejwells811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 8:33am
Tried again this morning. . .once more using the specific info for setup in the manual, everything goes according to the directions until I load the thumbnail maker at which point I have the "Barn" in place but no green background. Is it possible this is simply a missing "bmp" or "jpg" file for that green screen that didn't make it into the installer?

301st FW, NAS Fort Worth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejwells811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 12:17pm
Just read a June posting where it was mentioned that the green screen doesn't work with P3D. It appears that a possible fix didn't make the grade either, so should I just move on with making thumbnails by hand?

301st FW, NAS Fort Worth
GaryGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 4:13pm
Hi Ed:

While this IS3 feature is still being implemented for P3D, perhaps you might try using Arno's latest development version of ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") to minimize the manual effort to create thumbnails of your custom objects. Lamp

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/batch-convert-generate-object-image.428175/

Development version of ModelConverterX:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/modelconverterx.92/

Although I've not yet tried this in MCX with P3D SDK format MDL files, apparently there is a "Generate object image" option available in MCX during object export ...by Navigating:

1.) MCX Menu > Wizards pick-list > Batch Convert dialog:

2.) [Input] > Add: Scenery Object Library *.BGL type and *.BGL File Name

a.) [Operator {Left Window Pane}] > Add: "Generate Object Image"

b.) [Operator {Right Window Pane}] > Output Folder > [...] = Browse for target folder name

c.) [Output] > Writer:  P3D v2 MDL object (MDL)

d.) [Output] > Export Objects or Export Scenery 'ticked'

3.) Click [Process]

Hope this helps ! Smile

GaryGB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejwells811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 5:14pm
Awesome Gary. I'll give that a try.

Gary, that works great. Thanks for the HU!

301st FW, NAS Fort Worth
cowpatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowpatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:59am
How is it possible to distribute an update to specifically work in P3dv2.3 and it not work?
How do we get a green screen? I'm running a EVGA Titan.

GaryGB that's great but it may as well be in Spanish.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejwells811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 9:11am
Originally posted by cowpatz cowpatz wrote:

How is it possible to distribute an update to specifically work in P3dv2.3 and it not work? How do we get a green screen? I'm running a EVGA Titan.

Pretty much what I thought too. How do you get all the technical coding corrected/changed to make it compatible with V2.3. . .but a simple green screen won't work. It is a product of IS3 because you access it by right clicking inside the object window. Either there was no real attempt to get it to work, instead just ensuring that IS3 for object placement was correct. . . . .or there is something about the function of the thumbnail maker that V2.3 is unable to process.

301st FW, NAS Fort Worth
GaryGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 2:55pm

How is it possible to distribute an update to specifically work in P3dv2.3 and it not work?
How do we get a green screen? I'm running a EVGA Titan.

GaryGB that's great but it may as well be in Spanish.

Cowpatz:

Although I do happen to have the ability to translate into Spanish, my personal reply to Ed which was intended to be helpful in providing a (temporary ?) workaround for the IS3 thumbnail creation issue with P3D 2.x, the nature of your reply to my post compels some comment on my part, and some explanation on your part as to what your goal was in making such a statement.

Although I do generally try to make my posts comprehensible to more than just a particular individual when I allocate some of my rather limited time to participation in a thread, I sometimes simply have only enough time available to formulate a concise reply in a format that I believe will be understood by someone with years of experience in scenery making using particular FS utilities such as Ed has (I happen to have become somewhat acquainted with Ed over the years).

I believe you will find that a significant portion of my posts over the years in various FS forums have shown an exceptional effort to try and help people, often with posting of very simplified step-by-step tutorials.

No doubt there are also some obscure posts I've made, yet to be edited (on forums that even allow "after-the-fact" edits) which were hastily dictated using voice recognition software due to overwhelming constraints on my available time, but which were posted with the good intentions of trying to help readers with a topic that merited some further discussion / explanation / linking to potentially useful info.

Knowing that the FS Community is comparatively small, and that FS add-on development is at best a labor of love with limited remuneration (if any) for time spent learning from info scattered across the internet, and for effort in trying to produce something for the poorly-documented and constantly evolving FS software code base, is it ever a good idea to discourage a fellow flight-simmer or a developer who is taking time out of their personal real-world life, to offer something, whether in the form of posted help or an add-on /utility (free or payware), to users of a simulation software package which is a niche-within-a-niche-within-a-niche ?

If you would like some additional help with learning how to use the rather complex and specialized ModelConverterX utility functions for generating thumbnails from someone such as myself (ex: in the form of an even more detailed step-by-step version of the mini-tutorial originally intended specifically for Ed), you might wish to express an appreciation for the fact that I even took the time to offer help at all, and to ask courteously for something additional that you'd like to receive on an individualized basis.

But please don't misunderstand me... I am also sometimes impatient with the amount of time it takes to get a response from FS developers (whether here or elsewhere), and I'd like to see more features implemented in IS3 and many other FS utilities.

However, I recognize that implementing features for FS utilities can take considerable time, and it is potentially more difficult to do this with P3D_2.x, which is challenging FS developers with a "moving target" software code base (AFAIK, even more-so than we had with FSX); so IIUC, extra patience will be required for anything to do with P3D when compared to FSX.

IMHO, it's important to keep in mind that one is more likely to achieve one's goals by being positive and expressing appreciation for what one has thus far been provided with (through someone else's efforts), and to offer polite encouragement to those we may be dependent on ...to provide us with what additional things we believe we need or want, on a "sooner-rather-than-later" basis. Wink

GaryGB
cowpatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowpatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 9:50pm
Hi Gary. No offense was intended. Unfortunately the written word is unable to convey tone but if it did then the second part of my post would have been of a humorous nature ie. outside my scenery design 'comfort zone' and knowledge base. Surely you have heard similar comments made with respect to technical jargon? Probably should have used an emoticon perhaps.
Flight 1 have decided that support for this product is via this forum and the header of this post matched my problem and that I could possibly find a solution within. I am not privy to what previous correspondence you have had with Ed but I can appreciate the fact that this post is probably part of a series.
The Flight 1 experience is not one I enjoy and certainly IS has been both a challenge and immensely frustrating......this latest update is just the icing on the cake. Installing scenery without thumbnails is like building in the dark. I could just use my other computer that has FSX on it to compile thumbnails but some of those "FSX" library objects are FS9 carryovers and although they will appear in FSX they wont in P3D.
I see that there is no official response to this from Flight 1 even though the initial post was made some 9 days ago. I thought that there may be some follow up after the 3.02 update.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 10:56pm
Flight1 is the distributor for many products, not the developer nor do they or can they fix what a developer does, does not do or does not know how to do

There is a lot of assumption flying around.. just because Flight1 distributes a product does not mean they code it or are responsible for development when the original product was never designed for a platform in which the developer is doing the best they can or have time for.

cowpatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowpatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 12:35am
Well I guess we could run around in circles all day then couldn't we?
I have no idea who the developer is of IS. All I do is refer to the manual and in this case the last page of the IS3 manual:

"To discuss Instant scenery with other users of the product and to get support, visit the Instant Scenery forum at ....this site"

Version History
Version 3.02
Made compatible with Prepar3D version 2.3

Obviously a significant part of it is not compatible with P3Dv2.3 or maybe it's my graphics card.

As Flight 1 is selling this product (and I am unable to directly contact the developer) would it not be prudent for Flight 1 to contact the developer and inquire as to whether or not a fix is even being worked on and let their customers know? Is this not the correct forum, in fact only forum, to raise this issue?

Cheers

FSDiscoverer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSDiscoverer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 12:56am
Thumbnail Maker isn't currently compatible with P3D2. I cannot tell at this point if it will ever be (this isn't a nice way of telling it will never work - I simply don't know at this point).

Obviously a significant part of it is not compatible with P3Dv2.3 or maybe it's my graphics card.

I am sorry you are disappointed, but the thumbnail maker is not an official part of the product.

We don't advertise the ability to make thumbnails anywhere, nor is the thumbnail maker listed as a product feature on the product page.

It was an internal development tool we use to make thumbnails included with Instant Scenery. We included it into the program because users requested it, but for technical reasons, it cannot be and will never be a reliable tool.

Robert100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2015 at 5:51pm
Hi. Can anyone tell me where to find thumbnail maker in Instant Scenery 3 for FSX please because I can't find it. Thanks

Rab
familton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2015 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Robert100 Robert100 wrote:

Hi. Can anyone tell me where to find thumbnail maker in Instant Scenery 3 for FSX please because I can't find it. Thanks

Rab

Read the manual. It describes it pretty well. Bob.
rioandyblogs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rioandyblogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2021 at 12:30am
Hola! Creators, don't yay worry use Picmaker to create awesome thumbnails for free.

Try this tool to create awesome youtube thumbnails - https://www.picmaker.com/youtube-thumbnail-maker

Popular youtuber shady shae recommended this tool in a recent interview.

Here is the interview link for reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJXZH86ZejY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic