SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The FSX Computer System Bible in PDF format??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
werver View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote werver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The FSX Computer System Bible in PDF format??
    Posted: August-08-2013 at 11:14am
Hi Nick,

Next month I want to build my Haswell computer and your excellent "bible" gives all the information I need.
My question is: Is it possible to download the article somewere in pdf-format. I can print it out which is very handy during choosing the right hardware and builing the new computer.

Best Regards

Werner Verwaal
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 11:36am
I have already stated that I will try and work toward that goal once the outline is complete and that I will remove the comic relief in biblical references if that is produced

The topic is not finished, not by a long shot.. there is far more to add to it but unfortunately between real world responsibilities I have not had the time to update it or the Haswell clocking portion ..   I am working on all these things, rest assured, but time right now is tight and its even hard for me to keep up with topics in this forum right now much less get the guides complete.

Thank you for understanding
Gui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 11:54am
NickN, thank you very much for your excellent work!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 11:58am
This is the time of the year real estate typically moves and my real estate business has gone through the roof lately with the economy recovering, that and attention to my other business holdings have reduced my available time for this.

I will get it posted and my goal is to have it all up before the middle to the end of this month.

jcommflight1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcommflight1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 12:35pm
I have to say that reading your document was delightful, although I do not plan to build or upgrade my sim PC in the next year, at least...

I have one question, regarding there being no reference to the use in FSX.CFG of an entry for the Affinity mask.

I am not running FSX, but rather P3D, but I believe it applies the same way (?). Since I have a i5 2500 @ 3,2GHz, I have used AffinityMask=14

In your opinion, should I drop this entry?

Also, in P3D we do not really need that HIGHMEMFIX entry.

Thx again for the excellent Bible ;-)
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 12:47pm

That will be addressed soon in the bible..  for now please refer to this post about Affinity Mask:

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

My thoughts on affinity mask is: I have never, ever seen a single system I have setup need that edit.

I DO know that the edit has high value for older Core2 dual and Core2 Quad processors.

IF a user finds that affinity mask truly makes a difference, and let me be very CLEAR about the word: TRULY - many users fall for placebo's. They see a minor or even a somewhat significant change in ONE or TWO flights and think something has gotten better when the FACT IS, you can see minor or even great improvements just rebooting the computer or rebooting a flight!.. that does not mean a CONFIG FILE EDIT made any change, any edit

It takes time to repeat and verify a tweak and then that same tweak may have NO VALUE to another user!

This is why people fall for a 'tweak' value and that run around and tell everyone else to use it.

The other reason is because the 'tweak' value DOES make a change for a SINGLE USERS SITUATION and that change can be identified in EVERY flight over, and over again. That DOES NOT MEAN that same 'affinity mask' tweak, OR, the VALUE used is right for the next person to use!!

Affinity Mask in a modern system- IF IT TRULY makes a defined difference in users system: that means something in the users individual installation is hitting core0 TOO HARD and moving FSX to the next core will help. This is something that can be seen if a user runs programs other than FSX at the same time, OR, something in their OS or program startup system is hitting the CPU and the user simply does not have the TECH ABILITY to figure out what it is and shut it down.

Let me make something else perfectly clear: That ALSO MEANS the user LOSES a core of their processor for FSX and that is NOT good.

If you use that tweak and it really does make a difference, then you have to accept the good with the bad in that tweak, you lose a core too.

Every time I have ever tested that tweak I have found FSX to run WORSE. Most likely because I set my system up using a optimize outline

that assures the OS and ALL installed programs are not hitting that CPU when FSX is running and at the same time I make sure I am not running any excessive support programs over and above FSX when I fly.

Therefore that so called 'tweak' has been useless in any system I have setup.

Now, if you happen to use a lot of programs at the same time with FSX running you can actually make a change that will have far more efficiency and produce a better result than affinity mask by using the Windows TASK MANAGER. Launch FSX and all the programs you intend to use with it such as weather engines or other support applications and then launch the Windows Task Manager..  find ALL the support programs EXE files in the PROCESS LIST, right click them and select SET AFFINITY. When the box appears uncheck ALL but the LAST CORE for the programs you started running along side FSX and leave FSX alone and don't use affinity mask.

That means none of the programs such as weather engines, chat or online flying programs, addons that run with FSX will EVER HIT core0 and at that point FSX is not restricted to less cores either.

Affinity Mask should NEVER be added to a users system out of IGNORANCE and just because some said in a outline 'tweak list' posted to add it blindly. You can do FAR BETTER by optimizing Windows and the installed programs and then use the task manager to trim the load on CORE0 with applications that a user may start and run with FSX and at the same time not remove a core from the application.

There ARE situations that may show a improvement..  they are INDIVIDUAL USER system dependent! That tweak was a way for MS to offer a user who is NOT TECH SAVVY access to a line that can be worked to try and workaround the users computer issues be they hardware OR installed software causing the problem

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 12:49pm
I believe LM addressed the Highmemfix issue..   I need to go back and look at my notes, I may be wrong but I thought I had a communication some time ago that said they did and it was not needed..  don't quote me on that! I cant check it right at the moment
jcommflight1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcommflight1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 12:59pm
Nick, thank you.

In the meanwhile I just found yet another excellent document recently updated, on Nvidia and NI settings... It's going my next non-stop read on my way back home :-)

Will test it all asap ;-)

Thx for the prompt reply!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 1:07pm
Thumbs Up  remember: READ the blue message I posted in that ..  there CAN BE more ways to approach FSX with such settings .. its all in the users system what works

AND the USERS EYES    some people cant SEE microstutters or image tearing..  their BRAINS do not pick it up!   Gamers and the people who stare at the FPS counter are like that LOL  

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!
werver View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote werver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 5:54am
Thank's Nick for your response.

Is the information you give in your post "Haswell 4,8 GHZ on air" also included in the post "The FSX computer system: the Bible"? With other words: reading the second post gives everything you have to know.

Werner Verwaal
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 6:13am
The 2nd post in the Haswell thread deals with parts for clocking Haswell.

Haswell can be modified to run cooler however many users who may not be tech savvy would not perform such a modification. In order to clock Haswell above 4.3 and not mod the processor it is advised that a high-end liquid cooling solution be used.
jdhughen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdhughen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2013 at 4:12am
Nick,
Quick question about set affinity in the task manager as you described.  Once you do this in the task mgr is it done ? ie will it remember your setting OR do you have to do this each time you want to fly ??

Joel
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2013 at 10:26am

That has to be manually set each time..   there are programs out there that will set affinity automatically by user input but must run with Windows at boot. I don't use the feature for FSX so I don't have any links to them right off hand
jdhughen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdhughen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2013 at 11:53am
Thanks for the response,
also since we're talking about cores... for Ivy bridge 4 core, since FSX can't use hyperthreading should you turn it off in bios? How much of a hit is there if you leave it on? the question is because I do use my machine for other things that are able to use hyperthreading (like 3d bucket rendering for example)but if it's a real problem i can turn it off.

thanks

Joel
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2013 at 12:18pm
Hyper Thread has no use for FSX. Its typically shut down for higher/stable clocking

If you wish to leave it enabled, that's fine..  you just have to make sure that you understand the difference between HT logical cores and CPU physical cores when using affinity settings
elysion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elysion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 9:12am
Hi NickN
Having said that, whats the affinity mask core to use when Hyper-threading is enabled? Core7?

Thanks much
jdhughen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdhughen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 9:56am
Yes, I would be interested in Nicks opinion here also. I have read to use 84 ? And in that case (01010100), it would be -  pcore 0 off vcore 0 off, pcore 1 ON vcore 1 off, pcore 1 ON vcore 1 off, pcore 1 ON vcore 1 off (I'm told the binary is read in backwards ??). But there is so much good and bad info out there and much of it doesn't agree with each other, so I'm not sure what to believe. I'm new, but in all my searching have found a general consensuses in the community that Nick is the authority. 
OC is not and option for me, and still while I understand that to disable HT in bios is the BEST option, can you accomplish the same thing by using the Affinity Mask tweak in the CFG and leave HT active for programs that can use it ??

Joel
sterion70 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterion70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 3:22pm
Now, if you happen to use a lot of programs at the same time with FSX running you can actually make a change that will have far more efficiency and produce a better result than affinity mask by using the Windows TASK MANAGER. Launch FSX and all the programs you intend to use with it such as weather engines or other support applications and then launch the Windows Task Manager..  find ALL the support programs EXE files in the PROCESS LIST, right click them and select SET AFFINITY. When the box appears uncheck ALL but the LAST CORE for the programs you started running along side FSX and leave FSX alone and don't use affinity mask.

Hi all, can somebody tell me which number is the last core please?
Whats up doc?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2015 at 12:40am
the highest?

0-1 <---- last core of a 2 core proc
0-1-2-3<--- last core of a 4 core proc
0-1-2-3-4-5 <--- last core of a 6 core proc

first core is always zero '0'
sterion70 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterion70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2015 at 9:46am
Many thanks Nick, this is the last step of the new fsx.cfg build. Your tips have improved my simulation which will come as no surprise to you no doubt. Just minor slider/adjustments left now, thanks very much. Brad
Whats up doc?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic