SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] The Scenery.cfg Could Not Be Located

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] The Scenery.cfg Could Not Be Located
    Posted: March-30-2015 at 2:14pm
Bought UTX Europe 2.0 earlier, installed everything but when start the setup tool I get this

I've got the Steam Version of FSX, had the regular version of FSX and UTX Europe 1.0 before with no issues, I presume because the scenery/cfg is in a different place it's causing this, but is there a way I can choose wehre the scenery.cfg is to fix this?

Specs are

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
CPU: i7 3770K @ 3.5GHz
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar
GFX: ASUS GTX 670 2gb
PSU: Corsair TX850
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Also if I click on Sim-Modify Sim Settings / Performance Report the setup tool crashes and windows says it isn't responding.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 11:44pm
When installing did you select to install into the FSX Steam Version in the multi-platform installer stage?

Did you run the installer and Setup Tool by right-clicking on them and selecting "Run as administrator"?

You say you had boxed FSX before, is it still installed on your system?

If the Setup Tool is crashing when you select Modify Sim Settings / Performance Report, this is because your FSX config file has values in them outside those which can be set by the FSX settings dialogs. As the Performance Report is not a necessary part of the UTX Setup Tool, you can either remove any out of limit values from your FSX.cfg or not use this option in the UTX Setup Tool. This is noted in out UTX FAQs.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
Kimril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 5:35am
Originally posted by quantumleap quantumleap wrote:

When installing did you select to install into the FSX Steam Version in the multi-platform installer stage?

Did you run the installer and Setup Tool by right-clicking on them and selecting "Run as administrator"?

You say you had boxed FSX before, is it still installed on your system?

If the Setup Tool is crashing when you select Modify Sim Settings / Performance Report, this is because your FSX config file has values in them outside those which can be set by the FSX settings dialogs. As the Performance Report is not a necessary part of the UTX Setup Tool, you can either remove any out of limit values from your FSX.cfg or not use this option in the UTX Setup Tool. This is noted in out UTX FAQs.

Jeff

I did select the steam version, I've just reinstalled it and get the exact same error message, I also did run as administrator, and no FSX isn't still installed.

Any other suggestions?
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 12:02am
I would suspect that while FSX may still not be installed, a number of the various Windows registry and folders in which it would have stored config data are still hanging around confusing our installers.

This may be difficult to clean up depending on how comfortable you are with using the Windows registry editor. We can try and walk you through it but beware, it could lead to an inoperable FSX SE version if it is done incorrectly.

Jeff

Kimril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 4:37am
If you could walk me through it that'd be great, I don't mind if I have to re-download and install FSX Steam Edition again.
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 12:03pm
Could you post the error message again so that we can try and track this down step-by-step ?  The image seems to be missing from the original post now.  
Allen

Kimril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by akriesman akriesman wrote:

Could you post the error message again so that we can try and track this down step-by-step ?  The image seems to be missing from the original post now.  

Not sure why, it shows up on my end.

Here's the link
http://imgur.com/3HnQQcq
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Kimril Kimril wrote:

If you could walk me through it that'd be great, I don't mind if I have to re-download and install FSX Steam Edition again.

If you are OK with removing everything and starting again with a full FSX Steam Edition install, it may be a lot safer than trying to rewire current Windows registry settings and folders.

So just to confirm before I start working out instructions to completely remove all traces of FSX boxed and FSX Steam Edition on your system before a re-install:

- You previously had FSX installed but removed it.
- You only now have, and want to have FSX Steam Edition.
- You have no scenery or aircraft add-ons installed in the FSX Steam Edition.
- You are happy with, and know how to, make changes in the Windows registry.
- You know how to find hidden folders in Windows.

Jeff

Kimril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 2:57pm

If you are OK with removing everything and starting again with a full FSX Steam Edition install, it may be a lot safer than trying to rewire current Windows registry settings and folders.

So just to confirm before I start working out instructions to completely remove all traces of FSX boxed and FSX Steam Edition on your system before a re-install:

- You previously had FSX installed but removed it.
- You only now have, and want to have FSX Steam Edition.
- You have no scenery or aircraft add-ons installed in the FSX Steam Edition.
- You are happy with, and know how to, make changes in the Windows registry.
- You know how to find hidden folders in Windows.

Jeff

Correct
Correct
No I have addons, when that screenshot was taken I had GEX Europe installed and a Carenado plane, I now have Twin Otter Extended from Aerosoft, and Antarctica X
I've done it before but I'd still need you to talk me through it.
Of course
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 3:06am
The work will require you to uninstall these other add-ons, and then after the clean-up, re-installation.

Jeff

Kimril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 4:06am

The work will require you to uninstall these other add-ons, and then after the clean-up, re-installation.

Jeff

Okay, I'll uninstall the addons.

Can you walk me through the steps then. Time zobe differences mean I have to wait a long time for you to reply ha.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 2:51pm

Can you walk me through the steps then.

First the obligatory warning - Do the following at your own risk, and we take no responsibility if things go wrong.

1) Restart PC.
2) Use provided uninstallers to remove all add-ons you have ever installed in Boxed FSX and FSX Steam Edition.
3) Use provided uninstallers to remove Boxed FSX and FSX Steam Edition.

At this point there should be no trace of these products or add-ons but unfortunately there will likely be some components left behind. The next stage is to remove these.

4) Restart PC.
5) Remove any folders and contents left behind from the Boxed FSX install. These are (based on normal default locations - so you may need to adjust if you installed FSX somewhere else. Note some of these are hidden folders):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X
  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX
  C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX
  C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
  C:\Users\<user>\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

For each of these folders you need to delete them and all their contents if they exist.

6) Remove any folders and contents left behind from the FSX Steam Edition install. These are (based on normal default locations - so you may need to adjust if you installed FSX Steam Edition somewhere else. Note some of these are hidden folders):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE
  C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX-SE
  C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE
  C:\Users\<user>\My Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files

For each of these folders you need to delete them and all their contents if they exist.

7) Remove any Windows registry entries related to the Boxed FSX install. These are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator

To do this:

- Start the Windows registry Editor by clicking on the Windows Start Menu icon (bottom left).
- In the "Search programs and files" box enter "regedit".
- Click on the "regedit.exe" item found to run it.
- Use the turny-triangles to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games
- Right-click on "Flight Simulator" and select "Delete".

8) Remove any Windows registry entries related to the FSX Steam Edition install. These are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

To do this:

- Start the Windows registry Editor by clicking on the Windows Start Menu icon (bottom left).
- In the "Search programs and files" box enter "regedit".
- Click on the "regedit.exe" item found to run it.
- Use the turny-triangles to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games
- Right-click on "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition" and select "Delete".

9) Restart PC.
10) Install FSX Steam Edition and run once.
11) Install your purchased UTX products which know about FSX Steam Edition e.g. UTX Europe V2.0 and/or UTX USA V2.1 (release coming soon). Make sure that you do so by right-clicking on the installer and selecting "Run as administrator" and that during the install you select to install into the FSX Steam Edition.
12) After install run FSX Steam Edition at least once.
13) Install other add-ons as per their installation instructions.

If at any step in this process something does not look right or does not work, stop, and let us know so we can advise you what to try.

Good luck!

Jeff

Kimril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 3:21pm
Great thanks mate I'll do it tomorrow morning.

Kimril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 12:45pm
It's working! Hooray!

Thanks for all the help mate!
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 2:47pm
That's awesome Jeff !!
Allen

ehakan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehakan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 6:31am
Thanks Jeff. I messed up my fsx:se with Orbx Global & Vector. Failed to clean them and re-install fsx:se. I was thinking to format the PC then I find your message. Now I'm flying with fresh fsx:se, 738, 777 and couple of addons.

Thanks again for your detailed information.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic