SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] Scenery cfg file error??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bankheadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Solved] Scenery cfg file error??
    Posted: January-29-2012 at 11:28am
Okay I'm trying to get rid of this scenery cfg error I keep getting when I boot fsx. I deleted the scenery that I added and I started getting this error?

Don
i9-9900K/G-Skill 32GB DDR4000/Asus Maximus Hero WI-FI / EVGA RTX 2080Ti/M.2 1TB Win10/ M.2 1TB P3D4.5/M.2 1TB MSFS2020/LG 43UD79-B"/EVGA 1000P2/CORSAIR 500D/CORSAIR H150i PRO AIO
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 12:36pm
This issue has been going on for years.. its an addon out there damaging installs and I have never found out which one it is but as you can see by Google its been a plauge

On my system, area 115 is my Reno scenery entry.. on others I have seen it be the default Addon Scenery entry

Pull up the scenery.cfg file  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

and check and see what area is under

[Area.115]

Please read this thread, as it will guide you in solving this problem

You will need to find the error entry and define if the scenery exists or not

further.....

There is a tool for repairing the scenery.cfg and I use it all the time...   its called FSTScenery.exe

I cant find it so I uploaded it here: uploads/12417/FSTscenery.zip

Just unzip, drop it in the directory i posted above with the Scenery.cfg and run it...  it will backup the original, repair and write a new one and also supply a error report if it finds any problems

quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 12:41pm
This happens frequently when a poorly coded installer/uninstaller incorrectly deletes the wrong folder when it removes the product.

The first thing you need to do is determine if it did, did not, remove the default FSX Addon Scenery folder and/or its contents.

- Go into your main FSX folder (the one where the FSX.exe is).
- Inside it should be a folder called "Addon Scenery" (ignore quotes). If there isn't one, create it.
- Go into the "Addon Scenery" folder. Inside it should be two folders, "scenery" and "texture" (ignore quotes). If they do not exist, create them.
- You should now have the following structure:

FSX
- Addon Scenery
  -- scenery
  -- texture

- Restart FSX and see if the warning has gone away.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
bankheadd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bankheadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

This issue has been going on for years.. its an addon out there damaging installs and I have never found out which one it is but as you can see by Google its been a plauge

On my system, area 115 is my Reno scenery entry.. on others I have seen it be the default Addon Scenery entry

Pull up the scenery.cfg file  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

and check and see what area is under

[Area.115]

Please read this thread, as it will guide you in solving this problem

You will need to find the error entry and define if the scenery exists or not

further.....

There is a tool for repairing the scenery.cfg and I use it all the time...   its called FSTScenery.exe

Just unzip, drop it in the directory i posted above with the Scenery.cfg and run it...  it will backup the original, repair and write a new one and also supply a error report if it finds any problems

NickN
In my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX my scenery.cfg,(area 15)is addon scenery for me. When I run the utility I don't get any errors, it just tells me that "The new scenery.cfg created, 189 scenery entries included"
So what I ended up doing was disabled my ADD-ON SCENERY entry in FSX. So far I haven't got the error message again but by disabling my ADDON SCENERY in my Scenery Library will this affect any of my sceneries that are in that folder?

Don
i9-9900K/G-Skill 32GB DDR4000/Asus Maximus Hero WI-FI / EVGA RTX 2080Ti/M.2 1TB Win10/ M.2 1TB P3D4.5/M.2 1TB MSFS2020/LG 43UD79-B"/EVGA 1000P2/CORSAIR 500D/CORSAIR H150i PRO AIO
bankheadd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bankheadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by quantumleap quantumleap wrote:

This happens frequently when a poorly coded installer/uninstaller incorrectly deletes the wrong folder when it removes the product.

The first thing you need to do is determine if it did, did not, remove the default FSX Addon Scenery folder and/or its contents.

- Go into your main FSX folder (the one where the FSX.exe is).
- Inside it should be a folder called "Addon Scenery" (ignore quotes). If there isn't one, create it.
- Go into the "Addon Scenery" folder. Inside it should be two folders, "scenery" and "texture" (ignore quotes). If they do not exist, create them.
- You should now have the following structure:

FSX
- Addon Scenery
  -- scenery
  -- texture

- Restart FSX and see if the warning has gone away.

Jeff

Quantumleap

In my FSX folder addon scenery I have another folder called FSX and In that folder are the two folders, scenery & texture. But prior to making any changes I was still getting the scenery error.

Don
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 7:35pm
Don

Looks like your situation is what Jeff said

Inside Addon Scenery

make sure there are 2 folders and they can be empty

scenery
texture

then re-enable the addon scenery entry and I am sure the problem will be solved

some addon screwed up and I would like to know which one
Zman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 8:41pm
Guys
I got the same error ,, a few days ago ,, and i said i was going to uninstall fsx , well befor i unstalled fsx i uninstalled my addons first, and ran FSX which were only FSDT, and Cloud9 (baiscally one in the same now) and after i uninstalled the 7 airports 5 FSDT and 2 cloud 9 is when i got it,, now which one of the 2 FSDT or Cloud9 or if it was just one of the airports, caused it i dont know, but i do know it was one of the  2 programs, because thats all i had installed at the time,
Darryl
bankheadd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bankheadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 8:55pm
NickN & Jeff
Thanks for getting me back on track. It turned out that in my "addon scenery folder" I had a folder called "FSX" and in that folder are my two folders, scenery & texture. I deleted the contents in those two folders as well as the FSX folder and placed the scenery & texture folders into my addon folder, and now all is normal again.

NickN
This problem I've had for a couple of weeks and it stems from me trying to do a KSEA merge SEE this link:

http://www.flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4901
GaryGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 8:16am
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

Hello:

A direct link to the original FSTScenery utility for repair of the 'active' FS Scenery.Cfg in FS8 / FS9 / FSX ...from the authors website:

http://stevemg.net/fst/downloads/FSTscenery.zip

Hope this helps ! Mixed Smiley 010

GaryGB
claude101141 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 9:24am
Hi Nick,
Don't you think it could be a good idea to have the FTSscenery.zip file uploaded on the Avsim library or on the Flight1 free tools library. The author's website has been closed and it took me a bit of luck to find the link here in your post.
Just a suggestionWink
Have a nice day
Claude
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by claude101141 claude101141 wrote:

Hi Nick,
Don't you think it could be a good idea to have the FTSscenery.zip file uploaded on the Avsim library or on the Flight1 free tools library. The author's website has been closed and it took me a bit of luck to find the link here in your post.
Just a suggestionWink
Have a nice day
Claude
This is a exceptionally old thread started in 2012

It is not my tool nor am I authorized to make such a addition to a online library. As a matter of fact, I would think that tool would already be in the AVSIM library as many years ago going back to FS9 it was a popular tool to use. If it isn't there then the developer did not want it there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 3:19am
It's a pity and the problem today is that it doesn't work properly as it doesn't check the scenery.cfg in c:\programdata\microsoft\fsx but on the former location unless you make copy of the there and make the checks then transfer it back to where it should be position. I tried to contact the author to know if he would make win 10 compatible version but have not received an answer yet and probably wont get any.
Claude
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 1:06pm

I have not used it in years so I can't comment on how it may or may not work today.

As I recall it did not matter where the scenery.cfg file was as long as the FSTscenery.exe file was inside the same directory as the scenery.cfg file.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claude101141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2019 at 4:27pm
Ok ; I did not know that.
Have a nice day.
Claude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic