SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [SOLVED] Moving GEX/UTX from Drive C to Drive f
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] Moving GEX/UTX from Drive C to Drive f

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2018 at 11:25am
I'd just repeat that when it comes to running installers and updaters, do so by right-clicking on them and selecting "Run as administrator".

No compensation needed, just a happy customer is all that is required Smile

Anything else, just let us know.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2018 at 2:51pm
Bless you both and thanks again. I'm going to try taking a plane ride this afternoon.
Brian Wilkinson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2018 at 3:21pm
Thumbs Up

Originally posted by quantumleap quantumleap wrote:

I'd just repeat that when it comes to running installers and updaters, do so by right-clicking on them and selecting "Run as administrator"
No compensation needed, just a happy customer is all that is required Smile
Anything else, just let us know.

Jeff

Agreed...  and glad this is resolved and you wont deal with it anymore Brian.

If there are any other questions referring to issues getting you back on track, please ask.

The original sim and the Steam original still has the same, what we call a bug...  it doesn't properly clear out the registry when uninstalled/reinstalled between the two products and because of that can cause exactly what you went through.

That is why I jumped in here seeing the situation knowing you could not deal with a hard manual edit of the registry and just said...  NUKE IT, start over...  it will all be good after that.

As an old timer, and believe me I am in nearly the same age bracket Brian...    when it comes to the newer OS's, as I point out originally and Jeff said above, unfortunately these new OS's are so paranoid you must run installers and the interfaces or any application by using "RUN AS ADMINISTATOR"

There is a way to run a installed application for any trusted application or interface already installed, such as the UTX or GEX interfaces without that extra step. (Manual RUN AS ADMIN must still be done with any installer)

1. Right click the shortcut to start the application

2. Select PROPERTIES

3. Click the COMPATIBILITY tab

4. At the bottom you should see a button that says "CHANGE SETTINGS FOR ALL USERS" Click it.

5. In the box that appears, place a check in the item: "RUN THIS PROGRAM AS ADMINISTATOR" click APPLY, the OK...  and last OK to close the last box.

From that point on, you never need to right click RUN AS ADMINISTATOR for that application. It will always run with top admin rights.

This is only needed for any system running Windows 8 through 10. In Windows 7 completely shutting down UAC and rebooting will accomplish the same result.

Last, but not least...    CHROME/Firefox, whatever browser is not more secure that MS Edge or IE11.

That has been a real joke over the years, people believe that based on the redderick starting in the late 90s and continued through the early 2000's about Microsoft. All those browsers do is allow Google and Mozilla more access to your internet habits. With Google its far more intrusive than MS ever did.

Today that information is a highly valuable commodity and regularly bought/sold. You were/are no more secure on those web browsers and never have been.

The reason you didn't see or were allowed to select a common Windows download location was because those browsers may/can define their own locations for downloads, do not give you option to select a location before a download starts, and may not give you the option to change that unless you know how to change their behavior through settings and stop them from reversing those settings with updates as they may come.

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 5:51pm
I appreciate your thought on browsers, but frankly Microsft explore is just too far left politically for me. I am a conservative and frankly, all of the browsers are owned and run by leftists but I have to use something. I hate google but MS is just as bad with MSM. So I have a dilemma especially since I like to do everything on line. 

I've tried moving a couple of planes and 2 or 3 pieces of scenery into FSXSE to get started and I'm going to go very slowly. Have a couple of issues already but I am going to wait a bit to see if I can figure out the actions so you may hear from me again. In the meantime thanks.
Brian Wilkinson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 6:19pm
Scenery -

Open Scenery library, click ADD AREA

Browse window appears...   as long as your scenery correctly has a

<NAMED SCENERY>
\Scenery   
\Texture

Folders, all you need to do is browse to where it is on the system select the named scenery folder and click OK.....  BUT HERE IS THE CRAZY part..... bug that was never fixed in FSX or FSXSE, at least its present in Windows 7

Once you select the folder and click OK you may be presented with the inside of that directory and nothing added to the scenery library.....  simply place the mouse anywhere inside the box in a blank white area and CLICK the mouse...   Sim will add it to the library and from there you can set the scenery in the list you want it to be.
svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2018 at 2:27pm
Hello Nick,

I'm thinking about a new computer and want something reasonable and effective. while searching I came across something called Nick N's Bible. Are you the Nick N? You helped me with my issues above? I noticed this work is several years old. What has changed?
Brian Wilkinson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic