SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [SOLVED] Moving GEX/UTX from Drive C to Drive f
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] Moving GEX/UTX from Drive C to Drive f

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Moving GEX/UTX from Drive C to Drive f
    Posted: May-23-2018 at 9:26am
My SSD is filling and I Thought maybe I could move GEX NA, GEX, my backup and UTX to a larger HDD drive. I got instructions to reinstall them. I did so, but when I installed UTX I got a message it cannot find SCENERY.CFG (I use FSX-SE). It was working fine in drive c: so apparently it found it ok there. It doesn't give me any options to locate SCENERY.CFG. I cannot find that file. I have 3 files called scenery.cfg but can't find any files labeled SCENERY.CFG? Are they different? Have any idea where they might be in FSX-SE. Any ideas to help me install UTX and update?
Brian Wilkinson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 2:46pm

It reads to me your system has issues because of FSX box/ FSX-SE registry problems. The UTX developers may be able to help

This is not UTX (Ultimate Terrain X) support. This is GEX (Ground Environment X)

Although we work with UTX developers for content enhancement Installation issues are handled directly in the UTX developers support forum.

I moved this topic there.
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2018 at 10:06pm
Firstly, UTX can only be installed into the same location as the flightsim platform i.e. you cannot have the sim installed on the C: drive and install UTX on another drive.

Next, have you always only had FSX-SE on your system or did you have FSX boxed at anytime? If you had boxed did you uninstall it after installing FSX-SE?

Did you run the UTX Install Manager and UTX Setup Tool by right-clicking on them and selecting "Run as administrator"?

As far as Windows is concerned SCENERY.CFG is the same as scenery.cfg.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 6:13pm
Would you suggest I totally uninstall UTX from both C: and F: and reinstall it from the beginning on C: which is where I have FSX-SE? Yes, I did at one time have the boxed version and then I added the FSX-SE. So maybe I have some left over? The frustrating this was I had everything running nicely on FSX-SE on the F: drive. One morning, I tried to sign in, got a message we cannot open because we cannot find SCENERY.CFG (the caps are from the message)
I got in touch with STEAM and they told me the best thing to do was to reinstall FSX-SE. Since then it's been a nightmare. I appreciate your help.
Brian Wilkinson
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 10:44pm
I agree that the first step would be to uninstall UTX from both drives and reinstall it back to the drive where FSX-SE is installed.

Saying that, it is a known issue that when you uninstall FSX boxed it does not correctly remove all the registry entries it created and this can cause issues as FSX-SE then installs in co-existance mode when it should not. This then leads to problems with multi-sim installers like we use for UTX. Until you sort this out you can end up in the situation you find yourself in with UTX not being able to find various sim configuration files.

How comfortable are you with checking and making changes to the Windows registry with regedit? I can point you to some other threads on similar topics which include instructions how to fix up the issues with the FSX-SE registry entries.

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2018 at 11:36am
Thanks for the feedback. I uninstalled UTX from the F: drive, reinstalled it in the C: drive but get same message when running set up tool. I copied scenery.cfg from Steam\\FSX and put it in Ysers\appdata\microsoft\fsx (I don't have a directory called FSX-SE which it seems to be looking for.) I've tried to get in touch with STEAM to get their view but you need a doctorate in Computer science to follow their instructions. Would you please refer me to some other places that might help, or I'll just forget the whole thing and uninstall UTX.

Brian Wilkinson
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2018 at 12:04am
I'm happy to try and help you resolve the situation but do need answers to questions asked in previous replies i.e.

How comfortable are you with checking and making changes to the Windows registry with regedit?

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2018 at 1:58pm
I have in the past made registry changes Jeff, but it's been a number of years. I'm willing to do some research to acquire some know if necessary, but would not be very comfortable today.
Brian Wilkinson
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2018 at 12:28am
As there are some tricky changes needed, it may be easier to try the following method instead where you will export the associated registry entries, post them here, and then I can check them and send you back a new 'fixed' set for import.

To start this do the following:

- Open a command prompt (if you don't know how to do this a quick way is to right-click the Windows Start menu, select 'Run', type cmd in the Open: dialog and then press OK).
- Change directory to a location you can remember or note where you currently are as you'll need it later to find the file you export.
- Type the following to export the Microsoft Games registry entries (which will include all the FSX and FSX-SE ones)

reg export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games" svpst1_export.reg

- Open the created 'svpst1_export.reg' file with a text editor and then copy and paste the contents into a reply to this thread.

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2018 at 12:24pm
I changed the directory to C:\Brian. Should I put it someplace else in another drive perhaps?

It created the directory and I did the export command you gave me and I get this message:
Registry Editor. Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause it to stop working correctly. If you do not trust the source of the information in C:brians\svpst1_export.reg, do not add it to the registry. Are you sure you want to continue?

Should I proceed or make changes. I used to know how to do this stuff but haven't done so it tears, I'm sorry.
Brian Wilkinson
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2018 at 11:27pm
Sounds like instead of trying to open the exported registry information in a text editor you are effectively running the registry script you created (which is not what you want to do).

Start something like Notepad, then use it to open the svpst1_export.reg file. This should show the contents and not attempt to execute it.

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 11:49am
This thing is humongous, I can get it open to Notepad but when I try to copy it from notepad to this little message area, it won't do it. Can I send it in pieces?
Brian Wilkinson
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 3:41pm
Do you have a lot of games from Microsoft installed?

I only have FSX and FSX-SE and for the regedit export command I asked you to run it it about 25-30 lines at most. If you are seeing a massive file then something went wrong with the command you entered. Make sure it is exactly as I provided with all the quotes and other non-alphanumeric.

If you really do have a lot of MS Games, then maybe I can give you a slightly different pair of commands to just dump the FSX and FSX-SE entries e.g.

reg export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator" svpst2_export.reg

reg export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition" svpst3_export.reg

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 11:04am
I only have FSX, the steam Train simulator and FSW but I have all of the Microsft games that came with win 10. But anyway I think this is what you are looking for:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition]
"FirstTime"=dword:00000000
"Co-Existence"=dword:00000000
"Language"="ENU"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0]
"AppPath"="C:\\STEAM\\steamapps\\common\\FSX"

Brian Wilkinson
svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 11:07am

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator]
"SimConnect_Port_IPv6"="0"
"SimConnect_Port_IPv4"="0"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0]
"AppPath"="C:\\STEAM\\steamapps\\common\\FSX\\"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\Launch]
"Modules\\FSUIPC4.dll.tchbkkauzzhlhehwunnuziqcrzukltbwltubzrkc"=dword:00000001

Brian Wilkinson
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2018 at 1:26pm
OK, based on the information there seems to be an extra sub-tree and registry entry in the "Flight Simulation - Steam Edition" entries which could be causing the issue (as it normally is not there in a Steam only version).

I recommend that it gets deleted. Do you know how to use regedit, or should I try and craft a 'reg' command line for you to run (as I did with the export)?

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2018 at 10:09pm
As badly as I have screwed thing up this far, I'd like to keep my hands out of the pie if you don't mind. Ergo: I'd prefer if you would craft the "reg" command. God Bless you, I know you didn't have to do any of this stuff and I'm very grateful.
Brian Wilkinson
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 1:42pm
OK, if you are going to do this, the first thing to do is make a full backup of your Windows registry or create an OS restore point just in case there is an issue with the command.

- Open a command prompt (if you don't know how to do this a quick way is to right-click the Windows Start menu, select 'Run', type cmd in the Open: dialog and then press OK).

- Type the following to delete the extra sub-tree and registry entry in the "Flight Simulation - Steam Edition" entries. NOTE - It is very important that you enter this exactly as provided.

reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0"

Once this has been done, you should do the exports I asked for before, and send the results to make sure it did the right thing.

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2018 at 3:48pm

I think I got it all.

indows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\Launch]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition]
"Language"="ENU"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games]

"Language"="ENU"

Brian Wilkinson
svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2018 at 12:26pm
I noticed that just after I had had to reinstall FSX-SE  I think in February, was when I noticed all of a sudden my SSD drive with FSX=SE and Windows on it had a big leap in space used like 30-40gig jump. Do you think what we are dealing with here has anything to do with that?  That's why I started with these changes with GEX and UTX.
Brian Wilkinson
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2018 at 1:19pm
The issue with the registry contents and the UTX install manager would not be related to any jump in space usage.

The increase could be because of any number of things e.g.

- There was a Windows OS version update over that time and the contents of the fallback it creates is still on the drive.
- When you re-installed FSX-SE you put it in a different location than the original install and so effectively have two copies of it, only one of which is active and the other is just wasting space (you'd have needed to have done a full uninstall of the original install before doing a re-install). I can tell you did something different with you FSX-SE install from default as the AppPath is not the default used by Steam.

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2018 at 2:36pm
I ask Steam for help during my upgrade but I can't figure out how to get them to respond. I set them at lease 5 messages about the problem we are talking about and got nothing back.  It's only been about 2 months since I did the uninstall/reinstall stuff. I haven't put much back on it due to my frustrations with it. Do you think another full uninstall/reinstall is worth it?

Brian Wilkinson
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2018 at 2:13pm
In all my time working with FSX and FSX-SE I have only ever done an uninstall and reinstall once during the very early beta testing of FSX. I therefore almost never suggest it unless as the very last resort because the flightsim itself has become completely unusable.

When it does come to an uninstall, it is important to know that the FSX and FSX-SE uninstallers do not do a complete job in removing all items. This is especially true for some of the Windows registry entries related to them, and is a common cause of problems where someone used to have the original FSX and at some point installed FSX-SE and deleted the the original FSX before or after they installed FSX-SE.

I have posted a technical guide in the past of how to completely remove FSX-SE before a re-install, but it does require some edits to the Windows registry and removal of folders and files which frequently get left behind.

Anyway, what issues are you still having?

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2018 at 5:57pm
I've been simming since '98 and never had any major problems, until the last year or two, but it was people at STEAM who told me I had to do a reinstall. I flew one day about 3 months ago with no issues. The next morning when I tried to open FSX-SE I got a message. "Cannot open file unable to find SCENERY.CFG. And nothing ould open. I looked in the Users directory and scenery.cfg was there, then Steam\\\FSX-SE and scenery was there. The Program Data and scenery.cfg was there. BUT FSX would not open and I got the same message. We cannot find SCENERY.CFG (all caps). I got in touch with Steam and they told me to reinstall. The people at the Flight Sim forum said they'd never seen that message. So, I reinstalled. Had no problem but realizing my SSD was filling rapidly, remember I asked you about that. I noticed two filled files were GEX and UTX files using over 8 gig a piece, I tried to move them to the F: drive. GEX was fine, but UTX installed but when I used the set-up tool, guess what was the message I got? "Can't find SCENERY.CFG file, contact simforums." It gave me no way to change anything but contact simforums.  Subsequently, here we are.  I did reach UTX and they informed me, UTX MUST BE on the same drive as FSX_SE. So, I moved it back to C: but still got same message. Its been a lot of frustrating. I'm going to fly tomorrow and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Brian Wilkinson
svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2018 at 6:16pm
Well I just tried the UTX Setup tool again, same message SCENERY>CFG is not found in the Users\appdata\microsoft\fsx-SE file but scenery.cfg is there but for some reason UTX is looking for something different.

Like I said before my file does not say FSX_SE it says only FSX and again SCENERY.CFG is all caps. UTX said that makes no difference. I guess my other option is ORBX and I reall don't want to go there. The GEX seems to be ok.

Brian Wilkinson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 10:32pm
Brian,

I am GEX developer who sent you here for UTX support.

You are in the UTX support forum discussing this with a UTX developer, not myself.

As you said, you don't want to get hooked into Orbx and based on the registry issues, this would be no different with them, so....

My advice...  This is based on the lack of tech knowledge and the time going back and forth to get this fixed so far. What I am going to suggests may not be patch work quick but it fixes the problem.

In the time this taken so far, and now that you know where the entire FSX/FSXSE registry is located, AND, if you do not have a lot of addons installed, I am going to throw this out there,.. let Jeff approve but I think this fixes everything and fixed permanently, humming along just fine from this point, on.. no more headaches

START UNINSTALL PROCESS:

IMPORTANT NOTE: I do not know what OS you are running. IF it is Windows 7 and you have completely shut down UAC, continue on. IF YOU ARE USING WINDOWS 8 or WINDOWS 10, be sure to run ALL INSTALLERS and ALL INTERFACES by right click, RUN AS ADMINISTATOR. Failure to do so with Windows 8 and 10 can result in corrupt installs and interfaces than can not function correctly even if UAC is disabled....

Before you do this, open the GEX interface, select each region you own (one at a time not all at once) and click the DISABLE BUTTON for each region. Once the interface shows DISABLED IN FSX for every region, close the interface and continue below....

1. Uninstall UTX completely, all versions you have from Windows

After which,... if you know where the install folders are for UTX, browse to and manually delete them all if the uninstaller does not remove them. You may have multiple UTX folders since you mentioned Program Files (x86) and then moving things around. Anything UTX can be deleted now

2. Uninstall FSX-SE completely from Windows 

Once complete and after which, if you know where the install directory was, browse to it and delete it

2a. Uninstall STEAM completely from Windows

Locate that original directory and delete it manually to clear/clean out everything if that uninstall does not remove it. 

3. DELETE the entire registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games

MANUAL REGISTRY EDIT:

To do it manually, go to the search box on the Windows 10 toolbar, type: Regedit

When Regedit.exe or Registry Editor appears in the box above, right click it and select RUN AS ADMINISRATOR

The Registry editor box will appear. On the LEFT side you will see what appears to be a folder tree list, double click: HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Scroll down and double click: Software

Scroll down and double click: Microsoft

Scroll down to : Microsoft Games  

You can elect to right click Microsoft Games, select EXPORT,.. select to save it to the desktop in the top (SAVE IN) dropdown box by clicking that box and select DESKTOP,  in the FILE NAME box below type: MS GAMES REG BACKUP

CLICK SAVE...  you have a full backup of that registry key now and it can be restored later if needed.

Now, right click Microsoft Games and select DELETE. Say YES to ARE YOU SURE?

Close the registry editor, registry is now flushed. You have a backup to restore it but you shouldn't need it.

4. Browse to:
C:\Users\<YOUR ACCOUNT USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft

Delete any folder named:

FSX
and
FSX-SE

5. Browse to:
C:\Users\<Your Account User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

Delete any folder named:

FSX
and
FSX-SE

6. Browse to:  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft

Delete any folder named:

FSX
and
FSX-SE

Flush the recycle bin and - Reboot the computer

You now have a clean slate...   what you should have had before the FSX-SE reinstall and the registry mess caused by FSX box and FSX SE. There will no longer be any confusion or registry problems.

You may also find your SSD has a lot more room on it now and this probably resolved the cramped SSD issue...

START OVER  ------ REINSTALL

1. IF you uninstalled STEAM from Windows in the directions above, reinstall the latest Steam from their website   HOWEVER - your TARGET for STEAM will be a folder where you want FSX-SE to go..   so make a folder where you want the simulator to install on another drive, and install Steam there. Activate it with your username/password

NOTE: For SSD C:\ drive install:

If you intend to use your SSD for this then create a folder on the root of C:\STEAM_INSTALL

You don't select to 'RUN' the Steam installer from the website, https://store.steampowered.com/about/ you click the button and SAVE the STEAM installer from their website (SAVE), you do not simply click RUN or INSTALL.

Download the latest Steam installer to your system. When finished you go to that file, right click, select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Once you REINSTALLED STEAM to a new directory and have inputted your username/password...  CLOSE STEAM, then reopen it by "right click RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR"

2. Reinstall FSX SE from the Steam application which should use the same new folder automatically. Make sure to RUN STEAM using, right click "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR"

The new download of the sim will probably take some time.

Once complete, open and run the sim for the first time.. Just run the default flight  (you don't have to fly anything)

This is just to write the initial folders/files to the system. Once the sim has been run the first time with the default flight launched and then exit,.... close FSXSE and close STEAM

Reboot the computer...   you now have a proper FSX SE setup and the registry is good to go

BE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT UTX REGION INSTALLERS THAT INCLUDE PROPER FSX-SE SUPPORT

3. Reinstall UTX <regions> into Windows. The latest UTX installers install a MANAGER they do not install into FSX from the initial install. You can run the initial install of UTX and install it ANYWHERE on the system to save space. It is like GEX when it installs, it is just a initial database. The ACTUAL install of UTX into the simulator comes after it is installed into Windows though a 2nd process and a UTX INSTALL MANAGER.

You can make a folder on ANOTHER DRIVE, call it (in example)

X:\UTX_INSTALL_MANAGERS

Then browse the initial UTX installers to that folder saving significant space on C:\

You can do that with the initial install of GEX regions too. They do not install anything into FSX(se) the GEX interface does.

4. When the UTX Manager appears after the initial install, it will find FSX-SE automatically DO NOT BROWSE any UTX installation from the manager. Simply click the version of the sim you want installed and let it install it. After that is complete you will see the UTX LIGHTING installer at the bottom of the manager window, click to install that, DO NOT BROWSE the installer.

5. Repeat the above for any other UTX region versions you may have.

6. In order to enable your UTX regions in FSX as well as the lighting, you must now do the following:

A. Open the UTX <Region> configuration tool. It should go though its initial checks. If all is good, once finished close the tool. Open the next UTX <region> tool (if you have more than one) repeat.

B. Open the UTX LIGHTING tool, there should be only one for all versions of UTX. Once checks are complete, click OK and At the top of the box click: SET LIGHT ASSIGNMENTS   then click DONE

NOTE: What you have done is initialize UTX to the proper config and scenery files. You can use those configuration tools later to make custom adjustments..   right now, keep going

7. Open the GEX interface. It is possible since moving FSX-SE the GEX interface will see that and request a browse to the new simulator location, simply browse it to FSX.exe. Once located you will have access to the interface control. Select the regions you own (one by one) and select ENABLE. Repeat for each region.

Then select the UTX - GEX feature for the UTX versions you own, click ENABLE

Once finished, close the GEX Interface

8. Launch FSX-SE. It should go through scenery file rebuild and then you can go from there...  set up your sliders and options and check things out. Close the sim.

9. You can then reinstall any aircraft or other addons. You should not have any problems

REMEMBER: IF YOU ARE ON WINDOWS 8 or 10 YOU MUST ALWAYS REMEMBER TO RIGHT CLICK ANY INSTALLER WHEN INSTALLING SOMETHING, or RIGHT CLICK ANY INTERFACE such as GEX, UTX, etc,..  and SELECT RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

You can now make any custom adjustments to UTX products through their config tool.

The above will solve the problem, you wont be dealing with any headaches and I can tell you that because of the messed up the registry you have now, it doesn't matter who's products you use, you will be facing the same thing unless this is fixed, permanently.

It may take a few hours but that is far cry easier than what you have been dealing with or will continue to deal with.

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 4:37pm
Jeff,

I’m in receipt of the message from someone, I don’t know who, he didn’t say his name.  I went through it paragraph by paragraph and my response is below. I obviously had a number of questions because words are used by you fellas are not common to me. I don’t ever remember this being this difficult. Anyway, I’ve tried to answer all of his issues or respond where I didn’t understand

“In the time this taken so far, and now that you know where the entire FSX/FSXSE registry is located, AND, if you do not have a lot of addons installed, I am going to throw this out there,”. let Jeff approve but I think this fixes everything and fixed permanently, humming along just fine from this point, on.. no more headaches.

Knowing where the entire FSX/FSXSE registry is? Does that mean the following?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games

I am running WIN10-64 

1.       I think I can handle Uninstall UTX Completely

2.       I’m not sure what he means exactly by “if you know where the “install directory” was.

I do have 2 other “Steam games” i.e. train simulator and FSW which is now defunct. (should I delete them both? I don’t plan on having any more but who knows.

I will delete STEAM and again what is meant by the “original directory.”

3.       How do I delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games?

According to the Registry I have both FSXSE and FXE installed.

I can do the rest down to “Start Over. “:

Step 1 is confusing. “If you installed “Steam from Windows?” What does that mean. I will install “STEAM” from their website would I not? I think I should install “STEAM” to my C: drive but would it be better on any other drive? (I have C:, E:, F:, J:). It says “where you want FSX to go, so I assume it means C: which is my SSD. (Can I put "STEAM" in one drive F: and FSXSE in another drive? C:

I assume I would install “FSXSE to the “Steam” directory would I not?

So I assume all this means is that I download “steam” from their website to my C: drive and once install, I install FSXSE to the steam directory on C?

Under UTX is says “you can install UTX anywhere on the system to save space. So I can install UTX to the f: drive is that right? They previously told me I must install it to the drive housing FSXSE. So I can put both UTX and my 2 GEX’s on the f: drive. I must make sure.

All of this because the SCENERY.CFG could not be found. Once again I appreciate your help.  
Brian Wilkinson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 5:49pm
ANSWERS:

===============================================
YOUR COMMENT BRIAN: I’m in receipt of the message from someone, I don’t know who

ANSWER - Its NickN from GEX and GEP3D product support. I said that above in my outline post and it shows my username on the side of the message..

================================================

YOUR COMMENT BRIAN Does that mean the following?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games <---  this key only (Microsoft Games)

ANSWER - YES

YOUR COMMENT BRIAN: I am running WIN10-64 

ANSWER - Then make very sure you run any/all installers as well as any/all interface shortcuts from now on by right clicking them and select in the menu option "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR"

=================================================

Answer to #2 you asked above Brian - You can easily reinstall Train Simulator and DSW later. I would highly suggest just uninstalling every game from Windows that is in Steam, and then uninstall Steam too.

==============================================

Answer to #3 you asked above Brian - That is something that Jeff will be able to help by using a command line if you do not understand how to use the registry editor.

This is where the entire problem exists, that entire Microsoft Games registry key need to be deleted, along with the folders I outlined above after FSXSE, and other installed Steam games and then Steam itself.

MANUAL REGISTRY EDIT:

To do it manually, go to the search box on the Windows 10 toolbar, type: Regedit

When Regedit.exe or Registry Editor appears in the box above, right click it and select RUN AS ADMINISRATOR

The Registry editor box will appear. On the LEFT side you will see what appears to be a folder tree list, double click: HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Scroll down and double click: Software

Scroll down and double click: Microsoft

Scroll down to : Microsoft Games  

You can elect to right click Microsoft Games, select EXPORT,.. select to save it to the desktop in the top (SAVE IN) dropdown box by clicking that box and select DESKTOP,  in the FILE NAME box below type: MS GAMES REG BACKUP

CLICK SAVE...  you have a full backup of that registry key now and it can be restored later if needed.

No, right click Microsoft Games and select DELETE. Say YES to ARE YOU SURE?

Close the registry editor, registry is now flushed. You have a backup to restore it but you shouldn't need it.

Proceed to items 4-5-6 I posted and delete the folders I outlined.

Flush the recycle bin and  Reboot the computer

===============================================

From your post above:

Step 1 is confusing. “If you installed “Steam from Windows?” What does that mean. I will install “STEAM” from their website would I not? I think I should install “STEAM” to my C: drive but would it be better on any other drive? (I have C:, E:, F:, J:). It says “where you want FSX to go, so I assume it means C: which is my SSD. (Can I put "STEAM" in one drive F: and FSXSE in another drive? C:

Answer - That is exactly WHY you are doing this, correct? Didn't you say your SSD drive (I AM ASSUMING your SSD is 'C') was getting overfilled and you wanted to move FSXSE and addons elsewhere for space?

You don't select to 'RUN' the Steam installer from the website, https://store.steampowered.com/about/ you click the button and SAVE the STEAM installer from their website (SAVE), you do not simply click RUN or INSTALL.

Download the latest Steam installer to your system. When finished you go to that file, right click, select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

STEAM install will begin, when it asks you WHERE to install, STEAM (DESTINATION FOLDER box) you click the BROWSE button and browse it to your hard drive that has space because everything after that will install to the same place, FSX SE, Train Simulator, DSW, excreta. You can create a new folder on that drive if you like, or just point the Steam installer to the root of that drive 

ie;
D:\
E:\
F:\

you can make a target folder before installing Steam or just let Steam install directly to the drive letter.

From your post above:

Answer - YES, if you uninstall all the applications, then uninstall STEAM you would reinstall STEAM to the location where you want FSX-SE to live which is the drive that has more space you want to move it too.

You are going to be moving STEAM, everything installed into STEAM so that is no longer on your C SSD drive that you said was is filling up.

===========================================

From your post above:

So I assume all this means is that I download “steam” from their website to my C: drive and once install, I install FSXSE to the steam directory on C?

NO, please go back up 2 responses in this message, I will repeat it here:

Answer -
You don't select to 'RUN' the Steam installer from the website, https://store.steampowered.com/about/ you click the button and DOWNLOAD the STEAM installer from their website (SAVE), you do not simply click RUN or INSTALL.

STEAM install will begin, when it asks you WHERE to install, STEAM (DESTINATION FOLDER box) you click the BROWSE button and browse it to your hard drive that has space because everything after that will install to the same place, FSX SE, Train Simulator, DSW, excreta. You can create a new folder on that drive if you like, or just point the Steam installer to the root of that drive 

ie;
D:\
E:\
F:\

you can make a target folder before installing Steam or just let Steam install directly to the drive letter.

===================================

From your post above:

Answer - YES, after STEAM has been uninstalled/reinstalled to the new drive location. Just let FSXSE install from Steam  by default, it will go into the new STEAM location directory as well as any other Steam games you reinstall or install later..

=============================================

From your post above:

Under UTX is says “you can install UTX anywhere on the system to save space. So I can install UTX to the f: drive is that right?

Answer - There is a DIFFERENCE between Install, as in "install into Windows"  and   "Install into FSX(se)"

When you download from the webpage http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utxusa link from bottom of page shown here;

UTX USA V2.3 Install Manager for All Platforms (1.1 GB)

Click here to Download (1.1 GB)

Download first, run the purchase wrapper downloaded AS ADMINISTRATOR, use your username/password to bypass purchase (Click Here to Reinstall button) and then run the initial installer,... you are NOT installing UTX into FSX at this time nor do you need to install it to C:\  it can be browsed to any drive.. you said your SSD C drive is getting filled up, So make the initial install on another drive, create a folder first, then point the UTX Installer to it.

Initial install, you are installing a DATABASE with a manager that will launch after UTX is installed into Windows, and then you use that manager to install UTX and UTX lighting into FSX(SE)

If you have performed my list correctly, when the UTX manager appears and you click to install UTX to FSX from the TOP BOX, you DO NOT NEED TO BROWSE ANYTHING. UTX will located FSXSE automatically and install correctly to it.

Same goes for the UTX LIGHTS in the LOWER box of the manager

The UTX Install Manager looks like this:

=================================================

From your post above:

All of this because the SCENERY.CFG could not be found.

Answer - That is because both your registry and the FSX folders I pointed to above to be deleted are messed up and you need to start clean and correct, after you wont deal with this.

The issue is the original FSX (or SE) uninstaller does not properly clean the registry

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quantumleap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 10:08pm
Brian,

I have been away from computer for the weekend and so am just getting back to this.

Reading through Nick's comments in both his posts, if you are planning to do a completely clean install of Steam, and all Microsoft Games which utilise it, then his instructions for what is needed to remove the current installation of Steam, FSX-SE and UTX, and other MS Games is pretty comprehensive.

Personally I wouldn't have gone to this full out process but it should resolve the issue you reported and also put you in a good position for any further add-ons you wish to install.

I will reinforce the need to run all installers and updaters by right-clicking on them and selecting "Run as administrator" to reduce any potential interference by the Windows user access control (UAC) security, and repeat what Nick noted there is a difference in where you can install the UTX installer and install manager (anywhere) vs. where you can install UTX and Lights for UTX (which has to be where the sim platform itself is and is where the installer will automatically select anyway so do not change it).

Jeff

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 9:41am
Before I get started I was to clarify a couple of things. 
1. Nick N, I humbly apologize for missing your name, especially since it was right in front of me.
2. You guys have gone way over and beyond anything I expected in helping a 75 year old, non-tech guy get through this and I thank you both.
3. Now I want to clarify the c: drive SSD. It's a Samsung 850 EVO drive. As of this date, i have 275,188,850 used space and 174,330,456 free. I assume after I've made all of these adjustments I expect I will have plenty of space to reinstall FSXSE and STEAM on this drive. Would you agree?
4 At one point, after talking to people at the FlightSim forum, I was taught to move the SIMOBJECTS file to another drive and link it back to FSXSE. It reduced my space used dramatically. I had tons of stuff on and still had lots of free space. When I reinstalled FSXSE I did not do it that way, but I also did not immediately add much to the game bot it looked like my drive was filling but if I have close to 200 gigs free I can put a lot of planes and scenery. I hope to get a new computer in the next year with upgrades. Today I only have about 7 addons and it seems to be ok, but I don't know what I can trust and what I can't, which is why I'd like to do what y'all suggested, I.e just start all over again. I'm retired so I have lots of free time.
Brian Wilkinson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 2:02pm
Brian,

You said:

As of this date, i have 275,188,850 used space and 174,330,456 free

I assume that is in Kilobytes and not Bytes, meaning with reserved disk space by the system you probably have a 500GB SSD hard drive.

Is that true?  Is you Samsung 850 EVO a 500GB drive?

If not I need to rework the numbers.

If that is the case then you currently have 174.3 GB free and will have far more after uninstalling everything and flushing the folders. Unlike a typical mechanical hard drive, a SSD can ne filled significantly more without performance loss. 

If you have a 500GB SSD then the max fill point and maintain safety is just a bit over 425GB, and about 25GB free    (425,000,000 used    25,000,000 free)

You will have to make that call yourself watching the used and free space of your drive.

So based on that and if you have a 500GB SSD I would say with a STEAM install + BASE FSXSE with UTX USA (alone) + GEX (which doesn't add any space, just replaces files) a few sceneries and airplanes I don't see any problem with it being on the SSD. Probably take up about 30-50GB of space, but you have to monitor that.

I don't know how large Train Simulator or the other STEAM games are

HOWEVER: -----

I WOULD NOT install STEAM into C:\Program Files  OR C:\Program Files (x86)

If you intend to use your SSD for this then create a folder on the root of C:\STEAM_INSTALL

When the STEAM installer starts, BROWSE it to that folder and let it install there. From that point on anything you install from the STEAM website will install to that folder and the addons will locate it through the registry since you cleaned it out and STEAM FSX-SE will rewrite it correctly.

Remember, download the installers from the web, do not RUN them directly from a download, then run every downloaded installer by right click "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" and run any interface like GEX or UTX the same way.

FSXSE will be different, it will have direct admin rights through STEAM because you will start STEAM by right click "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" and then STEAM will download and install the sim from its interface.

And also remember that when you FIRST install the latest UTX regions it installs a MANAGER with the files, that DOES take up space that does NOT need to be on the C:\ drive anywhere. You can make a folder on ANOTHER DRIVE, call it (in example)

X:\UTX_INSTALL_MANAGERS

Then browse the initial UTX installers to that folder saving significant space on C:\

You can do that with the initial install of GEX regions too. They do not install anything into FSX(se) the GEX interface does.

Go back up 5 posts above and follow my list and the explanations I gave you to your questions about the list, you should be fine but if you have questions, please ask.

Best to STOP and ask if something isn't clear

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 5:42pm
Just to verify your assumption, it is a 500 gig Samsung 850 SSD. I have 3 other drives. E: is a 1T, quite old HDD (I have 201 G of airplanes and other FSX items)on that drive. F: is a 1.5 T HDD Which has nearly 200g of scenery and AfCAD's on it), I also have a 4T Seagate external HDD.  (going to start deleting some stuff, lol)

I think I'm ready but it's 5:38 PM here outside of Orlando, Florida in the US. I will start fresh in the morning going back to your post of 6-24-2018 at 10:32 PM. I want to do this right, so indeed, if I get stymied I'll immediately contact you. I don't expect you to respond immediately because I know you are busy, but your response times have been outstanding. Mind sharing where you are? At least Country wise?

Thank's again and I'm making notes to start tomorrow.
Brian Wilkinson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 9:17pm
After the uninstall/reinstall and getting the items we talked about fixed, you will have to repoint the scenery library to your scenery on the other drive through the FSXSE Scenery library, will probably take some time. Do that after all is said and done from the reinstall outline.

As for the planes, you will have to reestablish that remote SimObjects link again. But I wonder how you are getting the gauges for these planes to work, or, if those planes installed custom gauges to the original <FSX-SE>\Gauges folder. You said you reinstalled FSXSE and this is when the problem started. If there were gauges, sound files and other files installed into FSXSE that support those planes, unless you saved the individual folders from your original FSXSE install, they were lost when you reinstalled FSXSE.

If none of the gauges or other files to those planes were in the original FSXSE install before you reinstalled, then it should all be fine.

The scenery and planes certainly wont fit on C:\

I edited my first post so you should not need to bounce back and forth and I added a few changes and notes...   use that first post as it should guide you though easily, but use the subsequent posts if you have questions and they may answer them.

Of course if something new comes up, ask..   once this is all done you wont have any more problems.

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 11:01am
Well, somehow I got kerflatched. I got everything deleted and was ready to reinstall STEAM. Went to their site, the button said: "download, I prepared the file call STEAM_INSTALL and downloaded what I thought was the installer but it didn't say installer it said: "setup" I opened that with the "Administrator" and it placed the files in another Folder I called STEAM_FSXSE. However, after I closed them both, first I tried to open STEAM but after a right click there was NO 'Open as administrator" I tried The STEAM_FSXSE and that too had no "open as administrator" although I thought I was very careful to do them properly. I immediately stopped. So what I have is the STEAM_INSTALL folder with the "setup" files and in the FSXSE folder I have part of FSXSE. When I say part, I mean when I click on FSXSE I get a bunch of files, including the folder STEAMAPPS, but there is no "common" folder nor is there an FSX folder. How bad am I screwed up?
Brian Wilkinson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 12:03pm
Ok slow down..   you are on Windows 10 and that may add a bit of drama to this but not anything unfixable.

Can I assume you completed the entire UNINSTALL list?

If so and you were on to STEAM next, let me boot into Windows 10 and I will see what it shows me...    give me about 20 minutes and I will post back.

(I use Windows 7x64..  I only use Windows 10 for testing and chewing things like this out)
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 1:29pm
Brian,

I booted into Windows 10 and had no problem setting up STEAM as I outlined. I made these images so you can see what I did. Follow along and see if you spot where there may have been a error..   If this doesn't work for you, then there is something very wrong and I am not sure where to go next...

This all worked here, take a look at the outline I posted above and see where things are going awry.

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 3:06pm
Now I'm totally befuddled and starting to look for my shotgun. I went all the way through your steps and found that when I downloaded STEAM from their website I did not see the "save" button on the bottom so I downloaded it to the file called STEAM_INSTALL. So when I right clicked on the set_up.exe it said you can't install to STEAM_InSTALL because it's nor empty. So I set up a second folder called STEAM_FSXSE and right clicked, told it to install and it looks ok. So apparently STEAM is ok but then I went to their website I was able to find that I already own FSXSE but there is NOTHING That I can see to download it.  In my humble opinion, Steam's website is one of the most confusing I have ever encountered. But anyway, I have to down load it to the new folder, is that not correct. Then I can finish ith the UTX/GEX stuff.

Brian Wilkinson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2018 at 7:08pm
I am not sure why you are not seeing the Microsoft Edge web browser download confirmation bar as I show, I also checked IE11 in Windows 10 and received a different looking bar, but basically the same.

In any case, you are correct, you should not download the file to the same directory you are installing STEAM into. That is why I used my downloads folder as I showed. You should be able to download it to any folder other than the target and then continue on following my directions.

If you have STEAM installed.......

As for reinstalling FSX-SE from STEAM, all you should need to do is sign into STEAM with your account username/password. If it recognizes you as it should and it shows you are signed in, then in the main STEAM window click:

Next Screen on SEARCH command for FSXSE:

NEXT SCREEN - FSXSE Page

After Clicking PLAY NOW:

IF YOU NEED TO BROWSE:

I don't know what else I can do to help. If you can not access the game and have it download as I show above, you may need to get on a STEAM forum and ask for assistance.

svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2018 at 7:43am
Well, I had a most bizarre day yesterday. I do not use Microsoft Edge as my browser, I use Chrome. Never even thought to ask you about that. But anyway, after I sent you my "I can't find it" message I kept looking around Steam and after a while I found a page, different than yours but it had the names of my removed software with a button and a down arrow beside it and it said 0 downloaded 10. something gigs. I clicked on the download arrow and after a few minutes, it showed it downloaded a bit But it was not moving.  After quite some time I went back to it and it said 46 ? downloaded but then it said "paused." I said the hell with it and gave it up for the day. Just after I got your message, I went back and looked and it said: "paused". Well for some reason, I went and looked in the file I had set called "INSTALL_FSXSE" and the whole thing had downloaded to that file. So, unbelievabley, it's now on my computer. I an going to put UTX and GEX on this morning unless you think something is awry.
Brian Wilkinson
svpst1 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svpst1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2018 at 10:28am
You can bet your boots I'm going to be damn careful about what and how I add things but remember I told you, I've been simming since 1998 and that's a lot of time to screw things up. Never really had too many issues until this one came up. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Anything else you think I should know? Is there someway I can compensate you for your efforts?Both of you.
Brian Wilkinson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic