SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] GEX update.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] GEX update.
    Posted: May-30-2019 at 7:03am
Hello, I currently have GEX regions for N America and Atlantic/Pacific Tropics installed on my computer. I attempted to contact the site they were purchased at to get the update but haven’t received any response. My question is if I purchase a new region from your site, will N America update to its newest version. I was thinking of adding Asia/South America. Thanks,Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2019 at 11:19am
Hi Ed,

Did you open the GEX interface and click the CHECK FOR UPDATES button? You must have a internet connection to do that.

If so what did the page that pops up say for updates?

It should show you in the GEX interface what versions of GEX NA and APT you are running and the update webpage will display what updates are available and how to update.

If you already have GEX Atlantic and Pacific Tropics, updating that will update GEX NA automatically to the latest version..  no need for additional purchases. Just download and install the latest update for GEX NA and then install the latest for GEX APT. (close the interface before installing the updates)

As for adding regions the Flight1 website has the products listed: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?search=true

Or you can use the new Flight1 Purchase Agent tool with a Flight1 account and skip the wrapper downloads from the main website: http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=agent

The tool lists all products and you can buy and download directly through it.

Let me know about using the CHECK FOR UPDATES from the interface.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2019 at 12:37pm
Hi Nick, my wife purchased the Atlantic/Pacific Tropics region for me as a gift back when you could still get dvd discs.It’s been quite a while. She thinks it was through FSpilot shop but to be honest she can’t remember. I contacted them but never got a reply so I’m hoping by purchasing Asia/S America that will get me the update for N America. I am just going by the sticky post up near the top of the forum. As for APT, I suppose I could always repurchase that region to get the update. I know that I need to get the update for APT from the original purchase site. Thanks, Ed
Ed
EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2019 at 12:54pm
I will give the check for updates a try and let you know how it goes. Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2019 at 1:29pm
Ed.. your GEX APT updates are free and come from us. No need to contact FSPilot

However..  how you update depends on how old the product was on the DVD. You can get a DVD to DL conversion code from Flight1..  Open a ticket,   https://www.flight1.com/ticket.asp  reference this thread and explain you need a download key/password for your old APT DVD.

You can then DL the latest APT start fresh with the latest APT and skip the updates.
EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2019 at 8:51pm
Hi Nick, I looked in the GEX interface and it shows N America as v 2.10 and says it is up to date. For APT is shows v 1.30 but v1.40 is available. When I click the link it takes me to the instructions for downloading and installing. I guess I am still somewhat confused about this part of the instructions.

GEX REGION DOWNLOAD PRODUCTS PURCHASED FROM A STORE OTHER THAN FLIGHT1

If you purchased one or more GEX region product from a 3rd party store such as Aerosoft, FS Pilot Shop, SimMarket, etc,..

You are entitled to the same product updates Flight1 customers can receive, however, when there is a full update available and the entire region must be replaced, then you must go to the web-store where you purchased your GEX region in order to obtain a new full download of the product at no cost. 

I am sure I am making this much more difficult than it is but not being especially computer saavy it is taking me some time to process this. Thank you for your assistance.  Ed                                                                                

Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 4:32am
Hey Ed..  no problem, I see the issue now

I needed to know the version numbers because there are no longer any DVD's being sold.

You do not have to buy anything else for the NA update to move to v1.30

I posted what I was told in that update thread from Flight1 about folks on older DVD's and downloads. In this day and age the majority do not purchase DVD disks anymore so although the directions were correct at the time of posting based on what I was told,...  they may not work today.

I will message Flight1 right now and tell them to issue a download code to you for APT based on your current forum login information here Ed.

I sincerely apologize for the hoops and ladders.

No need to DL NA as it will update automatically to the latest version when APT v1.40 is installed

Please let me know you received your code for GEX APT and got it installed.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 10:35am
Nick,no worries and no apology needed. I am very grateful for all of the help you have given me, not only with this but in the past as well. I’m glad I was able to show you what I was seeing. I will let you know when I receive something from Flight 1. Thanks again,Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 2:13pm
Hey Ed..

You read what was posted correctly and it is still correct, the confusion was the DVD vs a download.

DVD's are no longer sold. Everything is download now. Those who got DVD's in the past and needed a full version update due to development changes whereby patches will not work had to convert their DVD to download thorough Flight1.

Those who purchase and receive a download of a product from a store outside of Flight1, and in a case whereby a full version update is issued through the update system, would contact that store for the latest full version download update and should receive it for free.

Being you purchased a DVD instead of a download the correct procedure here was to contact Flight1 through the ticket system (or me here in support to get that rolling) and request the code for the update.

Had you purchased a download from FSPS they should answer and issue you a code for the latest version to be downloaded from their system.

I am not sure how long ago you got your DVD. If it was within the last 2 years that would be a bit surprising as it was my understanding the DVD stock was exhausted some years back. None the less FSPilot Shop should have at the very least responded to you and explained the DVD vs Download situation and I am bringing that up with Flight1.

None the less, I have sent out the request for APT and also issued a request to include a key/password for GEX ASA as a thank you for being patient. If I do not hear back from them by the end of the day I will be shaking some trees to get that expedited.

Thank you for hanging in there....

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 3:09pm
Nick, thank you my friend. You have gone above and beyond the call of duty and I truly appreciate that. You have gained a life long customer as I will purchase all future FSX  titles through Flight 1( been browsing the store and you all have some pretty cool stuff). Can I assume that what comes from Flight 1 will be via e mail? I want make sure I'm looking in the right place. Again many thanks,Ed
Ed
EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 3:18pm
Nick, no sooner finished posting here and checked e mail and both keys are there. Going to get started on figuring out how to install them now. I will let you know how it goes. Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 3:23pm
Yes its email..  I just received a email from Steve at Flight1 so you should have the keys by now or very shortly.

You can use the new Flight1 Purchase Agent too.  http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=agent  It easy once you have a Flight1 account as it allows you to reinstall and refresh licenses directly from the tool.

All your purchases from Flight1 are listed in the tool and you can get more directly from the tool when ever you like instead of going through the website.

No more wrappers to deal with..  just purchase, download and install...   however be aware all your downloads are stored with the tool so if disk space is a issue use the settings to move the cache directory to a drive that can hold large downloads. You can also copy the files to another location and flush the cache in the tool at anytime as well.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by EdK EdK wrote:

Nick, no sooner finished posting here and checked e mail and both keys are there. Going to get started on figuring out how to install them now. I will let you know how it goes. Ed

The instructions are in the update thread but here is the short list

You could go ahead and get the Flight1 Purchase Agent, http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=agent set up a Flight1 account using the EXACT email your keys were delivered to.. from that point and once your account is confirmed in the tool, its logs into Flight1, you go to the library where you will find the products you own and have keys for, use the download and install feature...  easy

You can acquire other products from the tool at anytime and it adds to your personal library.

Or you can download both links manually, place them in a local folder, execute with security scanners disabled and then use the CLICK HERE TO REINSTALL button in the purchase agent. Browse to the UNZIPPED key file and input the password, then follow the directions to decompress and install.

The Purchase Agent tool is easier. Do make sure to uninstall the original GEX APT first before installing the updated version. (just APT not NA)
EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 5:25pm
Hi Nick, Ok, so I was able to download and install APT and Asia/S America. My update status is N America 2.20, ATP 1.40, andAsia/SA1.30. You will probably think I’m crazy but that was stressful. Not very good at this sort of thing. Will get up in the air and take a look around. Will let you know how it looks. Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it. Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 5:54pm
Reads like you got it Ed!    Let me know if you have any questions and yes I value your feedback on the changes.
I am always here to assist

Thumbs Up
EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 7:31am
Nick, the scenery is fantastic. I love it. It took a long time to defrag after the install but got a first look this morning and it’s very impressive. If you don’t mind though, I have one more question for you. I have been plagued by the dreaded disappearing clouds for quite some time now. I came across the fix here in the forum(swarmcloud fix) and tried it a few weeks ago. To the best of my knowledge I did everything as instructed but when I loaded a flight I was met with completely cloudless skies. Now before I attempted the fix, I backed up the current shader file and returned everything to its original state. Eventually the clouds returned. I am hoping that you could shed some light on what may hav happened. The clouds still dissapear from time to time but I guess it’s better than having no clouds at at all. I should tell you that while I do have REX, I don’t use the weather engine. I set up the cloud layers  manually when setting up the flight. The clouds stay more consistent I think. Your insight would be much appreciated. Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 2:18pm
Hi Ed..

All clouds disappearing?   The tweak was for flashing clouds as I recall. I need to look that back up because it has been a while and I recall there may have been a change to that.

I will look into it and post back.

But I never heard of 'all' clouds not showing up so I am not so sure where to start with that other than restore the default cloud textures, don't boot any 3rd party weather stuff and set a fixed theme of something like 'building storms' or 'fair weather' and see if the clouds disappear.

Now I do know the older FSX sim can change weather 'sometimes' abruptly and reload a change that is isn't a smooth visual transition.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 5:44pm
Hi Ed.. Here is the thread on the edit for SwarmCloud.fx with the correct edit..

It is only for FSX box, not the Steam Edition. Steam fixed that file

You don't need to read the link, just download this file: http://www.simforums.com/forums/uploads/12417/SwarmCloud.zip

Unzip

Make sure the original is safe and drop in: FSX\ShadersHLSL\misc   overwrite if needed

Browse to C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Misc
Inside the MISC folder, delete the file: SwarmCloud.fx_0x0000000000000000_0x0f

Note the numbers following the name may not be exactly as I show, simply delete the file named SwarmCloud.fx_<number>

Once done open the sim..  cloud pops that are NOT related to weather updates should STOP completely

That is the cloud popping tweak.. See if that helps you.

One other thing..  when you update video drivers you MUST flush the shader cache for FSX

That could be a reason why your clouds are acting funny.

All you do is browse to C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders  and delete everything inside that folder.

Be aware after a shader cache flush, FSX will probably run a bit doggy because it has to rebuild the shader cache over time...  usually a good 20 minute flight will do it. After that flight and on a reboot it should be fine but the first one is usually choppy and a bit whacky after flushing the shader cache.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 9:51pm
Nick, you sir are a master. I followed your instructions and after 2 flights all clouds are present and no more cloud popping in and out. I think that did the trick. I haven’t changed video drivers in quite some time because the version currently installed works fine. If I do update in the future I will remember to flush the shader casche.  I can’t thank you enough for taking so much of your time to help me out. It really means a lot. I’m sure we will talk again in the future. Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2019 at 3:33am
It was no time off my hands Ed, just a check on a old tweak that was updated over time..

Old bucks like us got to stick together! Otherwise they will shoot us and plant our heads on a wall plaque. Clown

Any other questions or issues you might be having,.... just whistle!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic