SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] GEP3D Interface and file are gone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEK_the_Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] GEP3D Interface and file are gone
    Posted: October-30-2018 at 1:32pm
Hello Nick (assuming that you will answer this one),

I managed to update GEP3D to the newest version ~ on the 5th October. All went well (AV disabled, ran as admin etc.). Today I look at my desktop and the GEP3D Icon just went berzerk. I don't know exactly when it happened but it does not look as it used to be. Further investigation show that I'm actually missing the .exe.

I went to some of the debuggung steps (run Windows 10) and have my .lic file on C drive under Flight One Software. I also have the VirtualStore folder under .../Local but it's empty.

There was a Windows Update (feature update) between the installation point and today and I wonder if that one broke my install.

Could you please advise?

Thank you.

BR,
Gerald
P3D v4, GEP3D+UTX, ASP4+ASCA, FSGlobal Ultimate NG, ORBX Trees HD, Chase Plane,...
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 1:42pm
Security removed the GEP3D interface exe and that disassociated the shortcut. (went crazy)

This is not something new and not just GEX/GEP3D related. It has gotten more and more common over the years especially with Windows 10 

We noted this years ago in the GEX/GEP3D manuals and here in the forum: https://www.simforums.com/forums/av-settings-delete-the-gex-and-gep3d-interface_topic49654.html

We also noted it in the original release and in the recent GEP3D update announcement/instructions so folks don't deal with it.

You can't just shut down security when installing and then turn it back on, you must also exclude the directory and files in it too before enabling security. It has gotten worse in the last several years with Winblows10 LOL

There is no question it is a AV/Malware scanner issue. Could be Windows Pretender (Defender) too. 

FIX METHOD #1: (assuming the files are still available in security software quarantine)
Go to the GUI's for all of your security products and look in their quarantine section. If you find GEP3D_aca.exe, GEP3DConfig.dll or both quarantined, have the software RESTORE that file(s) and then EXCLUDE the entire GEP3D interface directory (files and folders) as noted in all the instructions.

That will not restore the desktop shortcut if it was removed. There are 2 ways to restore that  after successfully using fix method #1 if you want it on the desktop.

1. Go to START and find Flight One GEP3D in the list, find the interface shortcut, right click and either copy/paste to desktop or if the option "send to desktop (create shortcut)" is there you can use that.

OR

2. Browse to the path I show below. Right click GEP3D_aca.exe and select "send to desktop (create shortcut)" you can rename it anything after it is back on the desktop.

FIX METHOD #2: (assuming the files were flushed and not found in security quarantine)
Unfortunately there is only one way to fix this, uninstall GEP3D from Windows and then reinstall GEP3D back into Windows. If you kept the decompressed GEP3D 1.20 installer files you can simply rerun it since you did not get any 'license fail' problem. That will restore everything. Your backup will not be removed on GEP3D uninstall and if it is not located on C:\GEP3D_BACKUP then simply browse the interface on 'first run' to the root file where the backup is located, OR, you could move it back to C:\ first, install GEP3D and after use the interface to move it back where ever you wish to keep it.

IN BOTH CASES:

C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight1 Aviation Technologies\GEP3D<----  Exclude from security software in the scanner settings before re-enable of security software or before running GEP3D

I would also EXCLUDE the entire sim directory from ALL security programs...  Not GEP3D related but there is no reason for Windows or other AV/Malware products to scan that directory while you are flying and eat CPU/memory resources.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 2:23pm
I made some edits above, please re-read
GEK_the_Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEK_the_Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 2:28pm
Hello Nick,

thank you! 
The folder (and many other sim related) was (are) already excluded from my AV suite (and Win Defender also).

Strange thing though...Bitdefender did Quarantine the file bud did not provide me with any message. So I went to Quarantine and restored the .EXE (the .DLL was not there).

Interface up and running (still think it has something to do with the Windows update).

So thank you.
P3D v4, GEP3D+UTX, ASP4+ASCA, FSGlobal Ultimate NG, ORBX Trees HD, Chase Plane,...
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 2:32pm
Bitdefender has nothing to do with Windows or Windows updates unless MS is including it in their product apps now.

Just because it was popped sometime after installation doesn't mean it was Windows Update. Security software sometimes does scans on their own, or if there was any kind of disk maintenance going on whereby files were accessed, the security software came across the EXE file, then quarantined it.

Glad it was easy to recover!  Wink
greg100o View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg100o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:14am
Hi Nick,
I note that when I try to launch the GE3PD interface it starts and asks if I want the program to run, I click yes,  but nothing happens after that. I have excluded the folder you mention below from scanning, C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight1 Aviation Technologies\GEP3D as in fact at one point GEP3D_aca.exe,was removed but I must have restored it since that file is in the folder. Oddly however the file is also listed in my quarantined threats.  I cannot find  GEP3DConfig.dll in either my list of quarantined or  resolved threats in my antivirus, and I also do not find  it in my C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight1 Aviation Technologies\GEP3D. Would the lack of that  file be the reason the interface program aborts? if so I assume I have to uninstall and reinstall then?

Thanks

Greg
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:42am
If the file GEP3DConfig.dll is not in the directory C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight1 Aviation Technologies\GEP3D  and your security software does not list it in a recoverable quarantine, there is no option other than a reinstall.

greg100o View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg100o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 4:42pm
Hi NickN,
Before I uninstall and reinstall per your instructions below  I have a question about the backup already in place.
"FIX METHOD #2: (assuming the files were flushed and not found in security quarantine)
Unfortunately there is only one way to fix this, uninstall GEP3D from Windows and then reinstall GEP3D back into Windows. If you kept the decompressed GEP3D 1.20 installer files you can simply rerun it since you did not get any 'license fail' problem. That will restore everything. Your backup will not be removed on GEP3D uninstall and if it is not located on C:\GEP3D_BACKUP then simply browse the interface on 'first run' to the root file where the backup is located, OR, you could move it back to C:\ first, install GEP3D and after use the interface to move it back where ever you wish to keep it."

Does uninstalling by using the Windows 10 Add/remove programs interface hopefully restore the default P3D textures from the  GE3PD backup folder? The part that confuses me relates to your statement that the backup will not be removed and to point to the location after reinstalling [mine is not on C: drive which has no room] So if default textures are restored upon uninstallation, would the program not automatically make another backup of the default textures at the location I choose? Is the idea to overwrite the already present backup, or is it just to point to its location for future uninstalls?

I just don't want to make a mistake and lose my default textures.

Thanks

Greg 
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 5:23pm
Does uninstalling by using the Windows 10 Add/remove programs interface hopefully restore the default P3D textures from the  GE3PD backup folder?

No, that operation can only be done by the interface.

So if default textures are restored upon uninstallation, 

They are not restored. Only restored if you use the interface and disable GEP3D in Prepar3D

would the program not automatically make another backup of the default textures at the location I choose?

It will but it wont backup the default tiles, it would back up the current tiles that are in the simulator.

Is the idea to overwrite the already present backup

Not at all, no files are ever overwritten in the backup folder, only added to. If a file is already present the interface skips that file.

Do you know where your original backup is located on the system? The folder: GEP3D_BACKUP  If you do then you will find that directory should be about 5.5-5.6 GB.

Are you saying that you do not have 6GB of free space on your C:\ drive?

Moving the GEP3D_Backup directory to the root of C:\  would only be temporary until the product is reinstalled and the interface goes through all the 1st run operations including a backup run. Nothing will be overwritten in the backup folder. Files already present are skipped.

Once you get the product reinstalled and run the interface for the first time as well as enabling GEP3D in Prepar3D, you can then use the MOVE BACKUP button and select another location for the backup. The interface will automatically move the entire backup directory where you point it to go.

As long as you currently have a GEP3D_BACKUP folder, unless you delete that folder yourself your backup of the default files is secure even if the backup operation is run 1000 times. The idea of temporarily moving the directory to C:\ is just to make a reinstall easier as that is what the interface will define on first run.

You could (alternately) leave the backup folder where it is right now and on first run of the interface it will ask you if you wish to choose another location for the backup directory.

Lets say your current backup folder is located here:  F:\GEP3D_BACKUP   then all you do is browse the interface to F:\     DO NOT select the folder, just the path where the folder exists.

In another example lets say your current backup folder is located here:

D:\Backup Storage\GEP3D\GEP3D_BACKUP

Then when requested you would browse it to: D:\Backup Storage\GEP3D

Understand?  You can not lose your default backup for any reason unless you manually delete it and flush the recycle bin. Even if you make a mistake that original folder is still there and can be used to correct it.

greg100o View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg100o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 7:03pm
Hi,
 I do have the backup folder  present on another drive and it contains the expected number of files. To make things simpler I will move it to the C: drive  and move back later. I think I understand the situation now thanks to your very detailed response, and will proceed.

Greg
greg100o View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg100o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 10:49pm
I do have one additional question. To reinstall I ran my version 1.10 installer which I had already downloaded, with the intention of running the 1.2   update after everything was set up. I reinstalled into my previous folder, and I did have version 1.2 installed before this problem occurred. . Despite running the 1.1 installer the interface shows that I have version 1.2 installed despite my not running the 1.2 update. Do I need to do anything else like run the update even though it says I have version 1.2?I wonder if the program based on something in my previous folder is thinking I already updated to version 1.2?
Greg 
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 12:10pm
It reads to me that a file may not have been completely flushed when the uninstall was run. I will look at that here and see if I can repeat the issue but I do not recall seeing any problems like that when we released the update.

None the less, you should run the 1.2 update and it should find your installation automatically, then re-enable GEP3D in Prepar3D.

When you run that 1.2 update, and assuming GEP3D was Enabled in P3D the last time you closed the interface, it should reset your interface automatically to disabled. After the update is applied and you launch the interface it should display GEP3D is disabled in P3D. If it doesn't then there is a issue on your end where files not getting properly overwritten.

Please be sure you are running all installers and the interface with right click "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR"

And to be sure the original issue of security software deleting files does not happen again, confirm the entire GEP3D interface directory with all files is excluded in all your security software products.

greg100o View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg100o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 5:13pm
As I recall after I uninstalled, it said I have uninstalled GE3PD 1.1 and there were some files left over in the folder but I did not really notice their identity.
I ran the 1.2 installer, and then when I opened the interface it ran a backup. Previous to the 1.2 update the interface showed GE3PD enabled, but after 1.2 update it was disabled as you mentioned it should be. I re-enabled and it showing version 1.2 enabled. So all seems OK.
SIM runs OK when I open it.

Even after the install of the 1.2 update, the entry in the Windows 10 add remove app mentions GE3PD version 1.1.

I have all the AV exclusions in place and am using the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR setting when I run the installers.

Greg
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 8:20pm
The patches do not overwrite the primary uninstaller, only the full version install will display 1.2 in the add/remove apps.

It reads to me it is installed correctly. I'm sure it is fine.
greg100o View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg100o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 9:19pm
Thanks I  really appreciate your detailed help in navigating through this!
Greg
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2019 at 9:45pm
Thumbs Up
If you need assistance in the future it would be best to start a new thread. Although some subjects may appear the same more often than not the solutions are different and its better to keep support topics separate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic