SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] GEP3D Interface and file are gone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEK_the_Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] GEP3D Interface and file are gone
    Posted: October-30-2018 at 1:32pm
Hello Nick (assuming that you will answer this one),

I managed to update GEP3D to the newest version ~ on the 5th October. All went well (AV disabled, ran as admin etc.). Today I look at my desktop and the GEP3D Icon just went berzerk. I don't know exactly when it happened but it does not look as it used to be. Further investigation show that I'm actually missing the .exe.

I went to some of the debuggung steps (run Windows 10) and have my .lic file on C drive under Flight One Software. I also have the VirtualStore folder under .../Local but it's empty.

There was a Windows Update (feature update) between the installation point and today and I wonder if that one broke my install.

Could you please advise?

Thank you.

BR,
Gerald
P3D v4, GEP3D+UTX, ASP4+ASCA, FSGlobal Ultimate NG, ORBX Trees HD, Chase Plane,...
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 1:42pm
Security removed the GEP3D interface exe and that disassociated the shortcut. (went crazy)

This is not something new and not just GEX/GEP3D related. It has gotten more and more common over the years especially with Windows 10 

We noted this years ago in the GEX/GEP3D manuals and here in the forum: https://www.simforums.com/forums/av-settings-delete-the-gex-and-gep3d-interface_topic49654.html

We also noted it in the original release and in the recent GEP3D update announcement/instructions so folks don't deal with it.

You can't just shut down security when installing and then turn it back on, you must also exclude the directory and files in it too before enabling security. It has gotten worse in the last several years with Winblows10 LOL

There is no question it is a AV/Malware scanner issue. Could be Windows Pretender (Defender) too. 

FIX METHOD #1: (assuming the files are still available in security software quarantine)
Go to the GUI's for all of your security products and look in their quarantine section. If you find GEP3D_aca.exe, GEP3DConfig.dll or both quarantined, have the software RESTORE that file(s) and then EXCLUDE the entire GEP3D interface directory (files and folders) as noted in all the instructions.

That will not restore the desktop shortcut if it was removed. There are 2 ways to restore that  after successfully using fix method #1 if you want it on the desktop.

1. Go to START and find Flight One GEP3D in the list, find the interface shortcut, right click and either copy/paste to desktop or if the option "send to desktop (create shortcut)" is there you can use that.

OR

2. Browse to the path I show below. Right click GEP3D_aca.exe and select "send to desktop (create shortcut)" you can rename it anything after it is back on the desktop.

FIX METHOD #2: (assuming the files were flushed and not found in security quarantine)
Unfortunately there is only one way to fix this, uninstall GEP3D from Windows and then reinstall GEP3D back into Windows. If you kept the decompressed GEP3D 1.20 installer files you can simply rerun it since you did not get any 'license fail' problem. That will restore everything. Your backup will not be removed on GEP3D uninstall and if it is not located on C:\GEP3D_BACKUP then simply browse the interface on 'first run' to the root file where the backup is located, OR, you could move it back to C:\ first, install GEP3D and after use the interface to move it back where ever you wish to keep it.

IN BOTH CASES:

C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight1 Aviation Technologies\GEP3D<----  Exclude from security software in the scanner settings before re-enable of security software or before running GEP3D

I would also EXCLUDE the entire sim directory from ALL security programs...  Not GEP3D related but there is no reason for Windows or other AV/Malware products to scan that directory while you are flying and eat CPU/memory resources.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 2:23pm
I made some edits above, please re-read
GEK_the_Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEK_the_Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 2:28pm
Hello Nick,

thank you! 
The folder (and many other sim related) was (are) already excluded from my AV suite (and Win Defender also).

Strange thing though...Bitdefender did Quarantine the file bud did not provide me with any message. So I went to Quarantine and restored the .EXE (the .DLL was not there).

Interface up and running (still think it has something to do with the Windows update).

So thank you.
P3D v4, GEP3D+UTX, ASP4+ASCA, FSGlobal Ultimate NG, ORBX Trees HD, Chase Plane,...
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2018 at 2:32pm
Bitdefender has nothing to do with Windows or Windows updates unless MS is including it in their product apps now.

Just because it was popped sometime after installation doesn't mean it was Windows Update. Security software sometimes does scans on their own, or if there was any kind of disk maintenance going on whereby files were accessed, the security software came across the EXE file, then quarantined it.

Glad it was easy to recover!  Wink
greg100o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg100o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:14am
Hi Nick,
I note that when I try to launch the GE3PD interface it starts and asks if I want the program to run, I click yes,  but nothing happens after that. I have excluded the folder you mention below from scanning, C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight1 Aviation Technologies\GEP3D as in fact at one point GEP3D_aca.exe,was removed but I must have restored it since that file is in the folder. Oddly however the file is also listed in my quarantined threats.  I cannot find  GEP3DConfig.dll in either my list of quarantined or  resolved threats in my antivirus, and I also do not find  it in my C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight1 Aviation Technologies\GEP3D. Would the lack of that  file be the reason the interface program aborts? if so I assume I have to uninstall and reinstall then?

Thanks

Greg
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 2:42am
If the file GEP3DConfig.dll is not in the directory C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight1 Aviation Technologies\GEP3D  and your security software does not list it in a recoverable quarantine, there is no option other than a reinstall.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic