SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] Checking for updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Checking for updates
    Posted: April-29-2018 at 2:12am
Hello, I currently have GEX North America and Atlantic and Pacific tropics installed. I also have Ultimate Terrain USA as well. Tonight I decided to check for updates but when I click the check for updates button on the interface, nothing happens. The interface shows my regions as being active and even shows the currently installed versions. I hope someone can tell me if I am doing something wrong. Thanks.Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 3:25pm
I do not see any issues here. My checks verify both the interface 'check for updates' and online system is working fine. I checked in both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

As long as the regions are 'Enabled in FSX" and assuming there is nothing blocking the interface from opening a browser window such as admin rights or some kind of firewall block, you should see a browser page open and a readout for your products listed.

See if right clicking the interface shortcut and select 'run as administrator' makes a difference.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 9:20pm
Nick, thank you for the reply. I tried right clicking the shortcut and run as administrator but no luck. I even temporarily turned off window firewall but I still cant connect . In addition to the check for updates button not working,the support  button does nothing as well. I currently use Microsoft security essentials as my anti virus but turned that off with no success. Not sure what else to check. One thing I noticed is that in my programs/features GEX North America shows version 1.096 while in the interface it shows version 2.00. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Probably not.  Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 10:10pm
Some kind of corruption must be involved. If you have GEX North America v2.0 listed in the interface but the programs/features lists it as 1.096, then the addition of GEX Atlantic and Pacific Tropics upgraded NA to 2.0 automatically.

Why your system is not allowing a hyperlink browser open is strange. Both the 'check for updates' and 'support' buttons simply send a hyperlink to the browser and opens a browser window to the correct web address.

This may require a reinstall of the products to correct the problem but before we go that route, what version of GEX Atlantic and Pacific Tropics is listed in the GEX interface? Is GEX NA and APT the only 2 GEX regions you run? If not list the others and their version numbers.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 10:27pm

Atlantic and Pacific Tropics version is 1.20 in both the programs/features section as well as the  GEX interface. Aside from those 2 regions,,I currently have Ultimate Terrain N. America installed. That is all that I have.

Ed
EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 10:31pm
My mistake, APT version is 1.10 in programs/features and 1.20 in the gex interface.
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 12:18pm

I do not see any issues with the product versions. APT 1.10 in Programs/Features and 1.20 in the interface simply means you had a successful update of APT to 1.20 in the past so the update system has worked in the past, and, NA 2.0 means APT updated NA correctly.

Current version of GEX NA is 2.10 and APT is 1.30.

The interface opens and runs so apparently the internal system is working fine. At this point I must assume there is either something blocking hyperlink shortcuts on your system, or, there has been some kind of corruption of the GEX interface system. Short of a complete reinstall of the products we can try one or two other options.

First, please make sure Microsoft Security Essentials and any other security product has the entire GEX interface directory set to EXCLUDE from scans. Its not just a matter of turning off the AV products because when you turn them back on they can still damage the GEX files.

You should find the settings to exclude a directory and all its contents in the settings for the AV products. For GEX the path to exclude is:

C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software\GEX <---- this directory and all files in it

Once that is done, please check your PM and follow the directions I posted there. Let me know what happens here in this thread and we can go from there.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 1:44pm
Nick,
First of all thank you for all of your efforts. I was able to access the update page via the link you provided. I downloaded both updates to a created folder on my desktop. When I right click and run as admin, I get a dialogue box stating license not found. It advises me to reinstall . I have the disc for both regions so I am assuming that is the course of action that will need to be performed.Again, thank you for all of your time and effort.    Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 5:07pm
If the patches detected a license fail but the interface does not, I suspect the possibility of corruption in the Windows store for the .lic files.

Question: Is this Windows 10? and if so did you happen to do a 'upgrade' install of Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8? If not, has there been any major update, or, 'system restore' used to recover in the recent past?

If so then that may corrupt the .lic files for GEX.

When you initially install GEX it installs license files in the Windows Store, AND, it creates a directory on C:\   named Flight One Software. The C:\Flight One Software folder can not be removed or down the line license failures can occur.

So at this point I would say the best course of action is to perform a uninstall/reinstall.

If your backup was moved at some point from the default C:\GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP you will simply need to browse the reinstalled interface to the root directory where GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP is located and it will use the original backup you made.

Once you get the base products installed, run the interface through the initial setup and then ENABLE the 2 regions in FSX, click the CHECK FOR UPDATES button. From there it should all work.

Do not use the patches you originally downloaded because you should update in steps. Let the online system define your patches till all your products are updated properly.

If you run into any problem post back but I am fairly sure this is a internal corruption issue the reinstall should correct.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 5:39pm
Ok,I figured that a complete reinstall was the most likely action needed when I saw the dialogue box. Just so you know, I run windows 7 and avoid windows update like the plague. Cant say Im interested in windows 10 as FSX runs pretty good on my setup. One question though, since I have Ultimate Terrain also installed should I reinstall that software as well or just the two GEX regions. Thanks , Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 6:34pm
That's really strange. I have never come across a corruption issue in Windows 7 but I have seen it when folks run the upgrade to Windows 10, or, in some cases Windows 10 runs a major update.

No need to reinstall UTX. GEX will locate your UTX regions when it is reinstalled.

Let me know how it goes. It shouldn't take very long to uninstall/reinstall/patch up.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 7:15pm
Sorry Nick, just a couple more questions.(As you can tell I am a little nervous about doing this). First,should I disable my anti virus and firewall before reinstalling since I will be doing so from the disc? Second, while I don't have any payware airports installed, I have quite a few freeware airport upgrades(mostly Ray Smiths stuff over at avsim).Any problems having those installed that you can think of? I would hate to mess something up.  Thanks, Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 9:44pm
GEX wont touch any scenery.

Its always best to disable security programs with trusted software installations. Just make sure any security software installed has exclusions set for the GEX interface directory I outlined above. In other words, disable the scanners, install the products..  enter the settings for the scanners and exclude the entire GEX interface directory. After that those scanners can be enabled.

I have also always suggested that the entire Flight Sim install directory be excluded too. That is a performance enhancement since I have never seen a virus installed through a legitimate Flight Simulator application. The only folks who need worry about the main FS install directory are those who grab pirated software.

Your sim will run far better without any virus or malware scanner hitting every file as it is called up.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2018 at 9:01pm
Nick,While reading over the GEX installation manual, I came across a section for dvd users. It states a download key is needed for dvd products and gives a link to get the key. Problem is that the link does not work. How can I obtain this download key as I will be reinstalling from a dvd? Thanks,Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2018 at 9:39pm
You had GEX NA v2.0 and APT v1.2 installed. The link in the manual refers to the old blue interface GEX products that were all replaced in 2013.

The link DOES work, I just clicked it myself directly from the manual which is here; http://www.simforums.com/forums/gex-all-region-updates-convert-from-blue-product_topic44495.html

So if does not work for you that would indicate, again, something is blocking hyperlink access to the browser in you installation of Windows and that aspect of the problem is not a GEX issue.

Thing is, that link should not relate to you as it defines those on very old "blue interface" GEX products, and, since that time DVD's were made available. We gave folks the option to switch to download or obtain a newer DVD back then.

So at this point I am thinking that regardless of uninstalling and reinstalling the GEX products from your disk, the issue of not being able to connect to hyperlink web pages is not GEX, but a very REAL problem on your system that has to do with Windows.

You defined the version numbers of the products you have a NA v2.0 and APT 1.20, therefore you can not be on the older blue interface whereby there was a single interface for each GEX region.

Uninstall GEX from Programs/Features...   reinstall from your disks which should restore license files...   if this doesn't work, now we are getting into a REAL issue related to Windows. The license files will reinstall correctly with the reinstall assuming your GEX NA disk incorporates the newer interface from 2013+.

Now, the only other possibility is, you had an older version of GEX NA 1.096 on disk and it is the old blue interface (where each version of GEX has its own interface). We gave folks the ability to move from the old blue interface to the new interface version for free and in order for you to be on NA 2.0 and APT 1.20, either your disks offer the new interface, or, you updated GEX NA from the disk to the download version, or, ordered the newer DVD, and added APT later.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2018 at 10:06pm
Uninstall/Reinstall from your DVD's using run as admin. Let me know what happens.

Lets assume that works but you still can not click for 'support' or 'check for updates'...   that is a separate Windows issue that must be fixed.

From there I can provide the correct update links to upgrade patches.

If you are still told the license files are missing with those linked patches, there is something very wrong with your Windows install.

Of all the years the product has been out, something like this has never been reported.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 5:06pm
Ed,
Were you able to reinstall?  If so what was the result?
EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 7:12am
Nick, I had to go out of town for a few days so I wasn't able to do it this weekend. I plan on doing  it tomorrow morning and will definitely keep you advised on how it goes.  Thanks,Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 5:07pm
No problem.

The item I am most concerned about is the fact that the patches detect license issues. Theoretically if the license was missing the main GEX interface would not start or run and would post a license failure notice. You are not seeing that from what I understand.

To verify no patch file issues I downloaded them myself and tested them here. There were no issues with the patches I could find.

At the same time and for what ever reason your system does not appear to be allowing hyperlink connections to the browser from outside applications. If it was just the GEX interface alone that issue was present I would suspect some kind of corruption with the GEX application but apparently its also present in Adobe PDF files too which suggests something in Windows isn't working right.

.. a little info to help with this:

To make this quick/clean and easy, when GEX is uninstalled from Windows it does not uninstall from the simulator. It only removes the database files. It also does NOT delete your backup. 

To keep your original GEX backup of default FSX files (the backup folder location is listed at the top of the GEX interface) its probably best to open the interface and select to DISABLE IN FSX for NA and APT, clearing all your installed regions from FSX and restoring the default files, first.. and then note the path where your backup is being stored.

If the backup is not located on the root of C:\   I would move it there using the interface MOVE BACKUP button. All you have to do is click MOVE BACKUP and then select the C:\    drive, no directory.....  the backup directory and all the files will be moved to the default location C:\GEX_REGIONS_BACKUP

That means when GEX is reinstalled you will have the original backup ready in the default location and can move it back or where ever you like after.

From there, uninstall the GEX regions from Programs/Features

To be sure of a clean start, browse to: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software\GEX <---- Delete this directory and all files in it.

From there and using your original install disks with the license codes, install GEX NA. Do not start the interface when complete. Then go ahead and install GEX APT. Once complete run the interface. If the interface fails to run  or displays error messages,... that is where we need to start next and resolve that issue.

Assuming there are no license issues, the interface will start and go through first run setup steps. It may request a browse to the location of FSX if not located automatically

It will offer you the ability to move the backup on first run. DO NOT MOVE IT. Select NO That way the backup process will go very quickly as the interface will skip previously backed up files.

Once first run operations are complete, select to ENABLE IN FSX your regions and the UTX features for the UTX products you have installed.

Once complete you can then opt to move the backup to where every you wish using the MOVE BACKUP button.

Once complete, then click CHECK FOR UPDATES.

Let me know what happens.

If you get the same hyperlink fail problem checking for updates we can try the manual method again.

EdK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 12:04pm
Nick,Ok so I uninstalled/reinstalled bothGEX regions per yor instructions but when I launched the interface, the hyperlink buttons still did'nt work. I decided to try some investigating and found that Internet explorer was'nt set as the default browser. At some time in the past Google Chrome was installed and I uninstalled it. I thought I had removed all components of that but apparently I missed something.Once I made internet explorer the default browser, all hyperlinks in the GEX interface became operational.All updates were downloaded and installed and the regions were enabled. In the GEX interface it now shows N. America at V 2.10 andAPT at V1.30. From what I can tell,I think I'm good now. Once again I would like to thank you for all of your time and efforts in helping me resolve this issue. It really means a lot and I will be forever grateful. Ed
Ed
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 1:00pm
ah ha!  LOL  I was going to ask if you had any 3rd party browser running next if things went south.

The Google Chrome hyperlink issue is know for screwing up HL in Windows AND Chrome is also known to flag certain files as virus, originally letting the user know, and later clandestinely damage them. http://www.simforums.com/forums/google-chrome-false-positive-in-gex-updates_topic53726.html

I think you found your culprit

Glad its sorted!!   Thumbs Up   Enjoy the major cities NA 2.1 update

The latest version of UTX USA/Canada were reworked (Allen and I worked together) to make full use of the GEX NA 2.1 update.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic