SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] Cannot locate Prepar3d directory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Cannot locate Prepar3d directory
    Posted: August-13-2019 at 4:26am
I've just done a fresh install of P3DV4 after first uninstalling the original version. When I tried to activate GE3PD using the desktop icon I got the message
"cannot locate the Prepar3d directory. Click OK to browse to the location" I did this and was given a directory tree to choose the location manually. After doing this I got the message "ERROR CODE 40 interface will close".
After this happened, I assumed that as I had re-installed P3D, I would need to re-install GE3PD as well. So I un-installed GE3PD and re-installed it. After doing this I still get the same error messages. I even did a second re-install but it made no difference.
I also have all the UTX regions and I re-installed them before GE3PD and they work fine. I'm not sure if that is relevant but I do know that there is some overlap with GE3PD.
Look forward to any help that you can give me.
Many thanks,
Mike
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 1:12am
https://www.simforums.com/FORUMS/error-code-40-what-does-it-mean_topic44642.html

You are missing a major part of the files in your primary terrain texture or texture directory, or many of them are corrupt and not the correct size.

<Prepar3D>\Scenery\World\texture
<Prepar3D>Texture

Either some tool removed files or converted them to the wrong size, OR, your Scenery\World\Texture (and/or) <Prepar3D>Texture directory and all the files that should be in (one or both) are not located inside the main Prepar3D install directory,.. and now GEP3D reads the directory(s) as corrupt, as it should. That must be fixed.

mike123456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 9:12am
Hi Nick, good to see that you're still around

First of all, I can confirm that Scenery\World\Texture and Texture are both located in the main P3D directory.
I'm not sure what size these files should be. Here are the current sizes:-
Scenery\World\Texture - 49.5 MB
Texture - 445 MB

Regarding the P3D installation. I did a fresh download of version 4.5 and used MD5 Checksum on each file. I did have a couple of files that didn't pass the checksum, so I downloaded them again until they did.

The actual GEP3D installation was taken from my back up hard drive. I purchased GE3PD in December 2017 and kept it stored away to save time and space.

Do you think that P3D never installed properly? One other thing that I should mention; after I uninstalled the original version of P3D, I never deleted any residue files, e.g. Add On scenery etc. Would that make a difference?

Look forward to hearing from you soon,
Many thanks, Mike
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2019 at 7:10pm
Scenery\World\Texture - 49.5 MB

That should be over 4 GB with around 8000 files in it,..   that is the issue. You have a completely corrupt Scenery\World\Texture <-----  directory

I cant understand how P3D could even run/display the ground with that much corruption unless some addon has altered the path to that directory.

Are you sure you haven't installed or run any kind of configuration tools with this setup that have emptied that directory?

I wouldn't download P3D in separate sections for a good/fresh clean install. I would download the single P3Dv4x package using a download manager that checks corruption such as Free Download Manager Lite to assure nothing is missing or corrupt. From there a single installer is provided for all parts on one shot.

Also, (wont have anything to do with your issue ,however) I would download the latest GEP3D and use it instead. There were major texture updates applied to it since your version was released.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2019 at 1:12pm
Mike

Were you able to get this resolved?

Especially with Windows 10 and regardless of UAC settings, be sure to run any installers or the GEP3D interface, right click: "Run As Administrator"

Whenever you do a full/clean install of Prepar3D it is also important to manually delete the following Prepar3D v4 folders after uninstall of the older version:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\All Users\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

My Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

If you do not check to make sure those are deleted and if not, manually delete them before a fresh/clean install, then there is a potential for serious conflicts and issues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2019 at 3:41pm
Hi Nick,

Sorry, due to work I have not been able to reply, but I have given your last post a lot of thought.

I was thinking very much along the same lines of manually deleting the files that you have listed. Just uninstalling P3D is not enough. It's a given that I run everything as Administrator and I permanently have UAC turned off but thanks for pointing it out.

Fortunately, I'm not too far into a re-install, so I think I will completely nuke what I've done so far and start from scratch. I did try to download the P3D full package, but my broadband can be erratic. I left it overnight to download only to find it had stalled in the night and was incomplete. I'm going to take your advice and try a download manager this time and hopefully have more success.

I'll get back to you in a couple of days and let you know how I get on. I'd like to get back to flying, but at the moment the only thing that's likely to fly is this PC going though the window and landing in the back garden!!!

Thanks again for your prompt service. Will post soon.
Regards Mike
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2019 at 9:08pm
Free Download Manager Lite (the LITE version) https://dn3.freedownloadmanager.org/lite/fdminst-lite.exe  is great..  no worries about stalled downloads and it CRC checks as it goes. I think that would be a wise idea then unzip and run the main MSI installer. You can select CUSTOM in the main installer and point it to what ever location you wish.

… but YES, uninstall and then wipe the folders I posted above, then start over. I think that will fix your issue. I would even suggest a reboot after uninstall/flush just to clear the buffers and registry.

And as mentioned, get the latest GEP3D release from Flight1. Use the same download manager for that too, or, if you have a Flight1 account, you can use the Flight1 Automated tool instead as it should do the same for you but eliminates the wrapper (unwrap process) https://www.simforums.com/forums/flight1-purchase-agent-eliminates-wrappers_topic60864.html

It will list and keep all your Flight1 purchases in one tool based on the email address used for the purchases of the past (if the same as your primary Flight1 account).

Let me know how you make out and if you need more assistance, just holler at me Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 8:35am
Nick, just to give you an update.

I downloaded a complete copy of P3DV4.5 using the download manager. Everything installed great and all the files are where they should be.
I downloaded the Flight1 automated tool and used that to obtain the latest version of GEP3D.
GEP3D installed perfectly and interface works. All regions activated together with UTX
Thanks again Nick for a great service!! Now I will continue with the long and arduous install of my other add ons.
Warm regards,
Mike
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2019 at 3:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic