SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed[SOLVED] Blurry terrain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Blurry terrain
    Posted: February-07-2013 at 11:11am
Hi,

I've noticed that blurry terrain...

GEX+UTX.

Check:

cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 11:16am
FSX.cfg

Terrain part:

[TERRAIN]
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
WATER_EFFECTS=6
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 1:53pm
Keep the Blue Side UP! - Flight1 Sales / Customer Support
cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 5:07pm
I've followed the Kosta's guide.

Any other suggestion?
quantumleap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 5:24pm
Without knowing your system specifications it is very difficult to comment i.e. your slider settings/FSX.cfg manual edits could be way too aggressive for your hardware.

Jeff

Check out my aviation photography and digital art at Photisify
cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by quantumleap quantumleap wrote:

Without knowing your system specifications it is very difficult to comment i.e. your slider settings/FSX.cfg manual edits could be way too aggressive for your hardware.

Jeff

My specs:

i5 3570k
P8Z77-V
GTX 670
8GB RAM

cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 9:12am
Look at night...

So blurry...

Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 12:18pm
Along with the manual edits to the FSX.cfg to increase LOD_RADIUS, I'd say the most likely reason is that you have set the sliders in FSX too high for your system.

Reduce your slider settings, change LOD_RADIUS back to 4.500000, turn off things like bloom and shadows, reduce AI aircraft, car and boat traffic, and move water effects back to the highest 1x setting and see if things are still blurry. If things improve, then you are pushing your system too hard with the current settings.

Jeff

cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 5:46pm

Along with the manual edits to the FSX.cfg to increase LOD_RADIUS, I'd say the most likely reason is that you have set the sliders in FSX too high for your system.

Reduce your slider settings, change LOD_RADIUS back to 4.500000, turn off things like bloom and shadows, reduce AI aircraft, car and boat traffic, and move water effects back to the highest 1x setting and see if things are still blurry. If things improve, then you are pushing your system too hard with the current settings.

Jeff

LOD_RADIUS 4.500000 may increase performance?
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 1:21am
Yes, as the FSX scenery engine needs to load fewer higher resolution textures for areas further from your aircraft. It's pretty much your basic area of a circle equation you learned in school. Increasing the LOD_RADIUS from 4.5 to 6.5 for example, more than doubles the area around your aircraft for which the FSX scenery engine needs to load/display higher resolution textures. Also remember that 4.5 is the maximum value you can set for this via the FSX scenery sliders.

Now depending on your system you may be able to manually increase this, but until you find out what is causing the blurries on your system, you need to go back to lower values all around to see if there is any improvement at all. If there is, then the settings you original settings are too much of a load for your system, if not, then something more fundamental is wrong e.g. no anti-aliasing or anistrophic filtering in FSX and/or video card, poor video driver, etc..

Jeff

Anthony Vos View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 5:04pm
In FSX menu [Graphics] settings, what is your global texture resolution set at? It should be set at "Very High" Then at [Scenery] verify you have this;

cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 5:11pm
I've same.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 5:28pm
Can you tell me your system specs and on what kind of drive (SSD or Harddisk) you have FSX installed. If it is on a harddrive you may want to consider a disk-defragmentation, which will help reduce blurries.

cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Anthony Vos Anthony Vos wrote:

Can you tell me your system specs and on what kind of drive (SSD or Harddisk) you have FSX installed. If it is on a harddrive you may want to consider a disk-defragmentation, which will help reduce blurries.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/in-progress-blurry-terrain_topic45007_post269008_SID016424627bd3347abbdd3z869zfb77279861111.html#269008

Disk WD BLACK 1TB.
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 12:18am
Have you followed my suggestions of moving sliders to the left and removing the manual edits to the FSX.cfg to see if things improve? If you are not going to follow advice, it's not much use for anyone to try and continue helping you.

Jeff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 2:03am

Have you followed my suggestions of moving sliders to the left and removing the manual edits to the FSX.cfg to see if things improve? If you are not going to follow advice, it's not much use for anyone to try and continue helping you.

Jeff

Yes, delete the current fsx.cfg (make a backup of the fsx.cfg file and save it somewhere else) so that FSX can build a new, clean one.

cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 3:47pm
I think now it's good, let me do more tests.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 9:45pm
Blurry terrain is the users system not able to cope with the scenery
it has nothing to do with GEX
cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 8:03am
One strange thing...

If in secery I put all in MAX, like this:

I will obtain bluerry terrain, if I put FSX option Very High, I will obtain very nice textures without blurries...

I've an high PC.

Stange, not?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 11:11am

Nope, you do not have a "High-end" PC    Wink

A high end PC is one that is running a very overclocked i7, not i5, processor in the 4.5-4.8Ghz range on DDR3 2133 memory @ CAS 9 timing with a GTX580/680 video card. A 'high-end' PC will also be running SSD hard drives as well as undergone Windows performance setup to make sure all available CPU resources have been diverted to the running application and are not being applied to unneeded Windows running processes/startup items.

Kosta is posting 'BRUTE FORCE' FSX settings and they do not take into account that he does not run boats/cars/ships and hardly any AI traffic.. did his write up explain that part?

The push of the use of BP=0 for 'everyone' is silly tactic that is brute force in nature. Unless you not only have the hardware and are willing to take some hits on other settings its not a fix for anything.

Many who offer so called "FSX tuning" treats everyones PC as the same in the way they outline a setup routine. They may leave out how they may strip their system of traffic items in order to obtain the results, and, none of them address UTX options which can drag a PC into the ground if a user does not understand what those items do with respect to the hardware they run. Those guides and so called online "automatic tweak tools" do not define how to set up a PC, its BIOS or Windows for performance, nor do they define a user must look at what their PC is booting with Windows and figure out what startup programs are sucking the life out of a system and are not needed at Windows boot.

Today many use SSD hard drives which means people who use mechanical hard drives are not getting the same results using those setup suggestions without proper defrag maintenance using a 3rd party defrag tool for the hard drive. The Windows defrag tool is a joke. Mechanical hard drives place a very high latency on a system and if not defragmented properly can drag CPU time away from a running application such as FSX. When you add in that factor with Windows features such as Aero and other default Windows settings the CPU time is being eaten by the system instead of being applied to the application. None of these so called "tweak guides" define how to deal with these elements and something else they do not tell you:

FSX will NOT RUN FLAWLESSLY on ANY computer system. There is no 'high-end' computer system out there running FSX perfectly and especially at FULL SLIDER settings.

Having said that:

Everyone must FIND their own sweet-spot with FSX and there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" outline to setting it or scenery addons up such as UTX. There are STARTING POINTS one can use but even with a properly outlined starting point, the user must perform trial and error tests to define what their system can and can not do and in that process they will discover what their hardware can really do. If a user takes the time they may discover issues that come from outside FSX with Windows or startup programs and not the application itself.

It does not matter if your system would not be considered 'high-end'. The so called 'high-end' PC user should ALWAYS start off with a reasonable set of defined variables and go from there as they test the results.

This has nothing to do with GEX... So what I am going to do is post you a base outline to start off which comes from the hardware you have installed, from there you will need to figure out what works best for you and that will bring this subject to a close.

I am going to outline a starting point for you and then close this topic as it has nothing to do with GEX.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

PREFACE: This does not outline setting up Windows or correctly defragmenting the hard drive. If you wish to set up your PC/Windows you will need to follow a proper outline to do so. What I am posting here is only the FSX setup aspect and from there you will need to find the settings that work for you, past that you need to service Windows, the system startup and that hard drive correctly which can buy you more CPU time for FSX and higher scenery settings.

This setup is NOT DEFINED for huge scenery addons like Orbx or Aerosoft cities or large addon airports! We are setting up FSX as a BASE to start and after you have defined your system and setup with FSX/GEX/UTX you wish to ADD other scenery elements, when you do add them you will KNOW what sliders you need to DROP in order to run such addons.

We do not slam a system together, load it to the brink with addons and then try to tune.. we start out with a BASE set of addons, define our setting and then ADD scenery slowly, adjusting the system as needed for the additional addon products.

If you are not overclocking the CPU, your results will be limited REGARDLESS of the CPU in use. Most people overclock their CPU with FSX and do be aware that if overclocking is done IMPROPERLY it can add HEAT related stutters and issues to the system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE YOU BEGIN: If you have not already done so, obtain the software NV INSPECTOR which when set up correctly will OVERRIDE the FSX graphics settings.

See THIS POST for a link to the software AND how to set it up: http://www.simforums.com/forums/settings-for-new-drivers-updated-v1959_topic36586.html

BE AWARE: The first time you set this software up the settings may not 'take'. This is a common issue. After you have set up NV Inspector based on the image I provided and SAVED the settings for the MS Flight Simulator X profile, close the tool, REBOOT the computer and then reopen NV Inspector.. go back to the MS Flight Simulator X profile and RECHECK all the settings.. if a setting did not hold, reset it as defined. From that point on the settings should remain until you UPGRADE the video driver at which point you will need to repeat the process and reset NV Inspector back up.

SETTING UP FSX FOR TUNING

1. Go back to a clean FSX.cfg.. remove the one you have now and start with a new one. Launch FSX and set up the sliders EXACTLY as I show here:

NOTE THAT: If you were using a older quad or dual core processor I would start with MESH COMPLEXITY @ 75%, Scenery Complexity and Autogen a notch lower than displayed above.

NOTE: This ASSUMES you are not using any 3rd party AI Traffic package and only using default FSX. If you are using a 3rd party replacement AI then what I show above may not work. You will either have to temp disable your 3rd party AI traffic OR you will have to set it so it starts out rendering low, increasing the traffic levels AFTER you have established clear/sharp scenery and smooth flight. Adding in traffic is done AFTER you have established your BASE setup so you know that you must DROP a scenery slider to INCREASE traffic.

That is how this works,...  GIVE and TAKE 

2. Close FSX and make the following changes/additions to the FSX.cfg file. DO NOT add any other entries at this time:

[Display]

WideViewAspect=True //If a 'REAL' widescreen monitor in use, otherwise leave this False

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

[Main]
HideInfoText=1
DisablePreload=1

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1

Save and close the FSX.cfg file.

3. Open the UTX Configuration tool for all the UTX regions you use. For now we are going to disable certain features in every UTX config tool. This will get you started and from there you can enable features and see if the system can handle the render.

I am using the UTX USA tool as the example here:

a. Open the tool and on the list that is displayed expand the NIGHT LIGHTING section. select each night lighting option and then DISABLE each of them in the list. (set them to INACTIVE)

b. Expand the ROAD SURFACES list. Scroll down and select each RTX MOVING TRAFFIC option(s) and select to disable them (set them to INACTIVE)

c. Under ROAD SURFACES make sure the following are disabled (set them to INACTIVE): MINOR URBAN ROADS (residential) Note: this should remain disabled as it is a 'overkill' of roads that will stomp all over the textures and remove autogen. Unless you actually want this feature I have always suggested it never be used.

============================================

NOTE: There is one more "TEST" setting we are going to make with UTX in the FSX scenery library when it comes to "UTX ROADS" and that is to disable them ALL in the FSX scenery library until you define that running them works for you. This is only a test and you can enable them 'in-sim' as you go along in performance testing/tuning. I will outline that step below. When we do this it not only disables all the roads, it also disables all the 3D bridge objects UTX adds to a scene. The combination of the two elements being removed and then enabled shows us where our system stands with these objects. A city like Amsterdam is LOADED with UTX bridge objects and therefore a test like this can establish if the system is able to deal with these elements or not.

It is also important to note that the road system in Europe is not like the USA or Canada. Europe roads use a "Roman era" type layout and unlike USA/Canada where the roads follow a established nearly square "grid' pattern, much in the same way the textures are designed, in Europe roads will cancel out far more autogen and overlay the tiles crossing them in such a way they may not appeal to the scene and instead remove the illusion. The user must define if they want to see the roads or not as they will have a large impact on realism with autogen..  see this post for demo images with/without UTX roads in Paris, France: http://www.simforums.com/forums/why-turn-off-rrs-and-roads-utx-europe_topic38085_post223942.html#223942

==============================================================

4. Start FSX (if you made changes to UTX as outlined above the Scenery database will rebuild) and go to the Scenery Library. Scroll down to the entry: UT <REGION> ROADS. You are going to select the UTX region you are TEST flying, if this test flight is in Europe then select the option: UT EUROPE ROADS and uncheck it. If this test flight is the USA then select: UT USA ROADS and uncheck it.

Remember, this is only for a TEST. Click OK and let the scenery database rebuild.

5. Setup and start a flight. During this flight you should set your camera zoom to right around 60% since the zoom level in FSX is by default set far too high. A simple way to do this is click the 'minus' key on the keyboard twice as that will get you in the ballpark for zoom level. Also, before you begin this flight set the exterior LOCKED SPOT view/zoom and then pan around the exterior of the aircraft 360 degrees a minimum of FIVE times. This preloads our video card with the scenery and reduces/eliminates initial scenery glitches and stutters. Go back into the cockpit and then begin your test flight.

IMPORTANT: ALWAYS pan around the exterior of the aircraft 360 degrees in LOCK SPOT view before ANY and ALL flights.. this step should always be performed when you first boot ANY flight.

Define how the system is running, how well the scenery renders clearly. Is it running good? Is it clear and sharp?

If so you can THEN BEGIN to increase settings and enable features! But BE AWARE you must not sample a flight for 2 minutes and then make changes, make these changes over a decent test period of time ONE BY ONE and define if the system can cope with them as you go along.

SETTINGS TWEAKING:

6. Make the following changes IN THIS ORDER

a. Increase Scenery Complexity to 100%  Observe the results in a large city and around large airports

b. Enable the UTX <REGION> ROADS option in the Scenery Library and click OK. let the scenery database rebuild and the roads will display. Observe the results in a large city and around large airports.

c. Increase AUTOGEN slider 1 click to VERY DENSE. Observe the results in a large city and around large airports. If this is successful increase the AUTOGEN slider to 100%. Observe the results in a large city and around large airports.

AS YOU PERFORM THE CHANGES: If you see the scenery begin to BLUR, the distance becoming MUDDY and blurry or stutters begin to appear you will need to make the ADJUSTMENTS to allow the scenery and system to run smooth. IN EXAMPLE: Lets say you want the UTX roads appearing however with the roads enabled you find that in larger scenery areas the scenery becomes blurry or the system stutters, THAT MEANS you will need to GIVE UP something to get the roads you want. At that point you may have to leave Scenery Complexity and Autogen as I initially defined and not increase them.

Lets assume you have managed to run 100% Scenery Complexity and 100% Autogen with the UT ROADS enabled and it works great..   NOW, do you want those UTX Night Lights? or Do you want FSX/UTX Car traffic? In order to get those items you will have to ENABLE THEM in the UTX tool (in the case of CAR traffic also set the CAR SLIDER in FSX to about 10%) and then observe the results. You may find in order to run those features now you have to BACK OFF Scenery Complexity and Autogen slider levels. NOTE: YOU MUST CLOSE FSX to make the lighting and traffic changes in the UTX tool, then reopen FSX and start another text flight. Any changes made directly in the UTX configuration tool require FSX be CLOSED.

THIS is how you tune your system. By starting with a BASE SETUP and SLOWLY defining what they system CAN and CAN NOT do. I dont care if we are running a CRAY computer system, we would use the same method outlined above to define and tune FSX.

Once you make it through the initial setup you can begin to add in AIRCRAFT TRAFFIC, increase CLOUD DISTANCE .. these are items you must DEFINE ONE BY ONE till you have established your setup. Be VERY AWARE that tuning a system OUTSIDE a large urban environment will establish the system to run smooth with scenery that is NOT a HIGH END LOAD. You should tune your system in a location that has a large urban environment in the scene and then outside of that area your system will run FSX very smooth.

===================================================

ADVANCED TUNING: After you have established the best setup for your system you can try the following to further smooth the render IF the FOLLOWING is understood:

CAN YOU MAINTAIN 25-30FPS with the scenery and settings you run?

IF the answer is YES then you can import a 'BUFFERPOOL' - 1/2 Vsync / 30FPS LOCKED tuning method to FSX.

IF the answer is NO then you will have to BACK OFF the Autogen slider and possibly the Scenery Complexity slider until you see 30FPS maintained with very few drops, then you can apply this method.

BE AWARE: This MAY OR MAY NOT WORK...  Your Mileage MAY VARY

1. Open the FSX.cfg file and edit these entries in the list;

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 - NOTE: This is system dependant! If you are pushing too much scenery this can BLUR the textures so you must experiment with this and scenery settings. This value can go lower (0.10-0.12) if you do not see any blurry ground textures. The lower you can go the higher the FPS will maintain. This value is TRIAL AND ERROR but start with .15 as shown.

[BUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608
RejectThreshold=262144

Save and close the FSX.cfg file. Open NV Inspector and bring up the MS Flight Simulator X profile. Make the following changes to the VSYNC SETTINGS: (see 'NEW SETTINGS' below)

NOTE: MOST LCD monitors are 60Hz vertical refresh. If you happen to use a monitor that is 120Hz then set "VERTICAL SYNC" to "1/4 Refresh Rate" instead of 1/2.

Save the changes in NV Inspector.

Make sure your FSX FPS slider is set to 30FPS locked. This ONLY works with the FPS locked to the defined refresh rate. In example: If your monitor is 60Hz and we set that to display 1/2 Refresh Rate in NV Inspector, then 1/2 = 30 so we lock FPS in FSX to 30 and LEAVE IT there.

Launch FSX..  NOTE that this tweak is NOT about frames, its about SMOOTHNESS

Test your flight remembering to PAN 360 degrees around the exterior of the aircraft in LOCKED SPOT VIEW at least 5 times.

If this works for you and makes your flights smoothers, leave it. If you find your FPS dropping too low you may need to make an adjustment to traffic, cars, cloud radius, autogen or scenery complexity.. The goal is to set it up so the system maintains or stays very close to 30FPS throughout the flight.

==================================================

I have gone far over and above in this thread to explain how to tune FSX. FORGET about how high-end' you think your PC is, and start thinking in terms of: "FSX WILL CRUSH ANY HIGH END SYSTEM INTO THE GROUND UNTIL THE USER LEARNS HOW TO SET UP THEIR PC AND FSX CORRECTLY, THEN LIVE WITH THE RESULT THEY CAN CORRECTLY OBTAIN"

As soon as you start adding in massive CPU impact scenery such as cities, airports and large area scenery packages tish ALL CHANGES AGAIN and you must RETUNE the system for what YOU want to see.

It does not matter if the CPU is running 7GHz initial and fine tuning will always be required with FSX.

Good luck and I hope this helps you.

mobsky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:29pm
cgentil

at this point I would suggest you make a new post at the Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology section and post you specs and what clock speed your at with your Nvidia Inspector settings and hopefully you will get suggestions and recommendations on what to do or change. Anthony might have a different setup for those settings, for example that water setting at HIGH alone can destroy your fps and cause problems.

you said you used kostas tunning guide, did you try asking there for some suggestions? did you download any software that supposably makes FSX better or any tool that affects FSX settings from there?

On your last post you said "IN SCENERY" settings like mentioned you will obtain blurry terrain, but in "FSX OPTION VERY HIGH" you will get nice textures... what do you mean by that? what is "IN SCENERY" vs "FSX OPTION" ?

Just post on that link above and go from there
cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:42pm
There is the topic: http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic45078_post269480.html#269480
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:45pm
Go back up 2 posts and read.. I was working on a post for you cgentil..   that is as far as I can go with this to help you, its actually far more than I typically do or have time for. This morning I had a little extra time, but I can't go any further with you on this topic as my time has run out on this subject.

NickN

PS: Keep this in mind..  what I posted above has NOTHING to do with hardware BIOS settings, Windows performance setup or proper defrag of the mechanical hard drive.. there is a LOT MORE to getting performance out of a computer with FSX than just setting up FSX right.

cgentil View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:48pm
Sorry NickN, i only see now your post.

Will follow...

Thanks.

EDIT: What you think about my PC, what I have to change?

Many people said me to put a i5 and not i7.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 2:32pm
I would suggest you learn about overclocking, replace the i5 with a good i7 such as a 2700K or a 3770K (if your motherboard supports it) and replace the hard drive with SSD's assuming your FSX install will fit on the SSD and you can afford the size of SSD drive you need for FSX. If not then you will need to learn about 3rd party defrag software such as O&O Defrag and how to use it on the FSX mechanical drive

and be very aware that a GTX 670 is not much better than a GTX 660,, real marketing joke that was on the part of Nvidia.. you would have been better off on a GTX 580 or 680

You memory..   8GB does not tell me anything about the memory in use.

Memory performance could be crap in your system if you are running something like DDR3 1600 9-9-9 timing memory..   I would suggest DDR3 2133 @ 9-11-10 which is about the best you can obtain right now  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231518     and learn how to overclock that CPU properly. I dont care if you have the best hardware in the world with FSX, if you don't know how to use it, the result you see will always be limited and even IF you know how to use it there is and always will be a limit and 'give-and-take' to what you will accomplish

This subject is now closed.. .   good luck and I hope you can get more out of the system with my setup suggestions.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic