SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Ground Environment X Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] A mind of its own

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] A mind of its own
    Posted: June-18-2018 at 1:42pm
I'm reinstalling fsxse and am spending hours trying to install GEX and have it stay installed.

First, I don't understand why the initial product download doesn't include the latest update. I install all six programs. Then I install all six updates. Then I install them into fsxse. Then I go into fsxse and see default ground textures. I open the control program and find that it arbitrarily uninstalled everything. It starts backing up again. For about the fifth time. I don't care about having even one backup let alone five. And it doesn't even ask. It forces me to have backup after backup after backup. All I want is to install the ground textures with a minimum amount of hassle and time. This has already taken many hours and it promises to take more hours that I'd rather spend flying.

I prefer to install by hand. Please explain how to disable the control program and uninstall it. Then what files I can simply move to fsxse from the six programs (including the fix) that reside in program files 86. If I can do that I will feel confident that they won't uninstall themselves. Please don't ask me to jump through hoops trying to get the control program to behave itself. I'd rather not spend more hours doing that. If I sound out of sorts writing this post it's just from frustration, nothing personal.

Thank you,

Rich   
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 2:36pm
It is not possible to install without the interface. The interface has programming whereby multiple regions are in use it automatically installs the files based on the regions and changes files based on a region being added or removed.

Also, in order for the interface to correctly identify what updates and patches are relative to your custom install, (not everyone has the latest installers) which may or may not include different regions, the regions must be Enabled in FSX before checking for updates and the updates offered are specific to your install. That can not be done without the interface.

That being said.....

As for your issue, it appears to me to be clear.... Apparently your computer is refusing to allow file writes and overwrites. This is caused by Windows security and in some cases 3rd party security.

This is not a uncommon issue and has been present for years. It is listed in the GEX manual (HELP) button in the interface. It has nothing to with GEX. Windows UAC and/or other security blocks the interface from being able to read/write to its control files which means the interface probably can not properly overwrite the sim files. 

It also means, when you close and reopen the interface it doesn't know what to do because it could not record you last actions, therefore backups re-run every time and it shows the product is not 'Enabled in FSX" it seems like an endless loop

This was listed years ago here in the forum and in the GEX manual: https://www.simforums.com/forums/windows-7-8-10-uac-blocks-gex-gep3d-interface_topic45785.html

With Windows 7 it can be easier to deal with, shut down UAC completely and reboot. With Windows 8 through 10 that doesn't work the same and requires every region install, every run of the interface be done by right click of the product installer EXE, or, if running the interface right click the interface shortcut and select "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR". From there allow the interface to run the initial backups and when finished, select the regions (one by one, not all at once) and click ENABLE IN FSX. If you have UTX products installed the interface will locate them and allow you to enable the GEX upgrades for those as well.

That will give the interface administrator rights and allow it to complete all of its tasks as well as record your actions so when the interface is closed and reopen you will not see repeating backups and your selections for the regions should say "Enabled in FSX". It will also allow the interface when checking for updates to present you with only what you may need.

If you do a update check from the interface, all regions you own must be "Enabled in FSX". If the web update system offers patches, after downloading them close the interface and always run the patch right click "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR"

Patches check the registry for location and you do not browse them. They check automatically and install the correct files in the correct location.

Last, when you reopen the interface after a patch update and of course using "RUN AS ADMOINISTRATOR" the interface WILL rerun the backup process to insure new files are backed up first. What ever is backed up, is skipped. No files are ever overwritten in the backup, simply added to. From there, you will have to re-enable the regions in FSX

The system is designed to be failsafe, to eliminate errors the very old interface system allowed by automating the file install based on the regions being enabled, and eliminating errors in patches and updates by automating that process.

The only FAIL is when a computer is blocking file read/write/transfer/overwrite because the installers and interface require 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR' rights, or, if a very old interface is in use and does not include the Steam support. All latest posted installers for GEX regions, do.

I would assume that the files in FSXSE will then display the new textures. If it doesn't I would ask 2 questions..

At the bottom of the interface where the SUPPORT - HELP _ CHECK FOR UPDATES buttons are, directly above those buttons does it say: FLIGHT SIMULATOR X: STEAM EDITION

Grab a image from about 5000ft and post it here with location data and I can check for GEX files visually.

There is no installing files by hand

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 3:19pm
I will say this...   baring the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR issues, if you installed FSXSE into PROGRAM FILES or PROGRAM FILES (x86) you have made an error that has been around since FSX was first released in 2006. You should not use those directories to install any Flight Simulator version including Prepar3D because Windows still nanny's those folders even with UAC turned off and even with 'Run as Administrator"

It has been known for years to create a folder either on the root of C or the root of another fast hard drive, name it what you like (Flight Sim Steam) or anything, then browse the main Flight Sim Steam installer, main FSX box installer, or main Prepar3D installer to that folder to install the sim.

Not doing so can create all sorts of strange issues with scenery and aircraft, especially high end products.

Getting back to GEX ....

If you want a 1-2-3

..and I am sorry if you don't like this, but given there could be issues created because of lack of administrator rights being present and I can't tell what may or may not have been borked,..

1. Right click the current GEX Interface shortcut, select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

2. It will probably go through backup again, it wont overwrite anything.

3. Enable your regions in FSX

4. Enable your UTX region options (if you have UTX regions installed)

5. Once complete, close the interface.

6. Reopen the interface using RUN AS ADMINISTATOR - If there is no repeat backup and all the features you enabled remained enabled, the interface is working. Do not close it.

7. Click CHECK FOR UPDATES. A browser window will open. If you are not presented with any updates, then you are up to date. If you are presented with updates, click the links presented and download the patches. Be sure security software does not damage the downloads. Close the GEX interface.

If there were no updates you can now check the sim for texture changes.

8. If you downloaded patches, run each one (one at a time) right click RUN AS ADMINISTATOR. Do not browse them, they will locate your regions automatically. Let them finish. Repeat for each patch.

9. Right click GEX interface, select RUN AS ADMINISTATOR. After patches the backup WILL run again to include new files, nothing is overwritten. Once the backup is complete, then one-by-one select your regions and UTX features in the interface to Enable in FSX

That's it..  close interface, run sim.

Here is a Windows tip that will allow you to run the GEX interface without always having to right click, RUN AS ADMINISTATOR:

Right click the GEX interface shortcut, select PROPERTIES - click COMPATIBILITY tab, at the bottom click the button: CHANGE SETTINGS FOR ALL USERS

At the bottom of the box that appears, place a check in RUN THIS PROGRAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR - click APPLY then OK to close the box, then click OK again to close the properties box.

The GEX interface will now always automatically open as administrator when using that shortcut.

=======================================

=========================================

EDIT:
If you are still having issues, post to me the regions you use, and the version numbers of those regions directly from your GEX interface display as well as an image from abut 5000ft with location data.

If it is still not working the only other option will be to start over and clean since there may be registry or file damage from the initial installation, but this time I will outline it 1-2-3 including file links.

In order to do that I need to know the list of products you have and their version numbers

rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 4:09pm
I just tried it again wit run as administrator and had the same problem. I have to admit I'm getting very sick of this problem.

I thought of another solution. I will do this one more time. Then I will copy the scenery world texture folder to another location. Then I will uninstall and delete all GEX stuff. Then I will replace the texture folder. Then I will go flying.

My question is.....are there any other files or folders I should copy/save?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 4:47pm
It is not GEX, there has obviously been corruption of some type during the original install or update process. Could be due to lack of running admin during install or other security software issues with Windows.

I don't know if you are on Windows 7, 8 or 10... I don't know what GEX product versions you have, I don't know where the sim path is located and I don't know if a mistake may have been made installing updates or a patch. All of our installers have a opening statement in them that describes what to do, the only thing we cant automate is "Run as Administrator" and bypass that security.

If you are not seeing any change in the sim textures there is no reason to move any sim folders, just go to Programs and Features, uninstall each GEX region listed from there and reboot. You can delete the backup directory GEX created manually after that.

that's it

If you want to start over after that I will do that here with you step by step, starting with what versions of the GEX regions you have, where is FSX-SE installed (path) and where you were downloading the wrapper/installers from.

Sorry you are finding it difficult. We rarely run across something like this anymore because the Windows security issues are well known as well as installing the sims outside of Program Files. 
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 5:04pm
When I installed GEX I just used defaults in the installation. I assumed you would setup defaults that would work and not cause any problems. I've been farting around with this for two days and am burned out and won't go through a whole process anymore. When I enable regions it says they are enabled in the sim so I think they are and then get disabled when I exit the program. I could be wrong but am willing to try something simple one more time.

Please humor me and answer this question. When I copy the texture folder, are there any other files or folders I should also copy?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 6:01pm
Before you go ripping everything apart.....

If I cant get the information I requested throughout this thread, humor me

Browse to:
C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Flight One Software\GEX<---   open this directory

1. Do you see the following files?

sp_versions_fsxse.cfg
utx_versions_fsxse.cfg       make sure it says in the file name: fsxse.cfg

2. Right click GEXInterface.exe select PROPERTIES, DETAILS tab, there is a FILE VERSION and PRODUCT VERSION listed, please tell me that number. Close properties

3. Right GEX_config.ini and select OPEN WITH - Notepad. Go to the top menu in notepad, click EDIT and then SELECT ALL, Copy/paste everything here. Close Notepad

4. Browse to:
Program Files (x86) - Most likely listed: \Ground Environment North America  open that directory.

Do you see a file named: region_na_fsxse.cfg  make sure it says in the file name: fsxse.cfg

If so right click OPEN WITH Notepad, copy the contents of that file here

Last, back out of that directory and go to Program Files (x86) \GEX Europe, open that directory.

Do you see a file named: region_eu_fsxse.cfg       make sure it says in the file name: fsxse.cfg

If so right click OPEN WITH Notepad, copy the contents of that file here

Last question

5. Are you sure you are using a full Administrator Windows account and not a basic or standard user Windows account?

rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 6:30pm
I've copied over those two folders. But what's really weird is the regions now stay enabled and I can see the difference. I swear, this stuff drives me absolutely bat sh*t crazy. I'm going to hold my breath they stay enabled but, if not, I'll simply uninstall GEX and replace the two folders. What should take a couple of hours ended up a day and a half.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 7:13pm
Installing GEX regions shouldn't take that that long.

As long as there are no user admin install or windows security errors, and, as long as the patches are not improperly installed by manually browsing instead of let them check the registry, the only functions that take time are the first backups and enabling multi-regions.

The interface was designed to do all the donkey work and assure it comes together right.

The first run of the interface will always request a backup. If you don't want to store backups then just click the "REMOVE BACKUP" button and follow the directions. The interface wont request another backup.

What is really stupid is, Microsoft should have a popup box come up when ever their UAC or lack of "Run as Administrator" crap bocks a function and that tells the user a EXE operation can not be done because of Windows security nonsense.

GEX is not the only application that happens to, you are probably going to run across it again and again with payware planes and scenery that may incorporate interfaces.

You can check for updates now. If you want to post the version numbers that appear for each region (shown in the interface) I will confirm it is all up to date.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 7:32am
Originally posted by rich12545 rich12545 wrote:

I'm going to hold my breath they stay enabled

If you see the GEX changes in the sim, it's in the sim.. and wont be removed unless you see a full progress bar in the GEX interface after clicking "DISABLE" regardless of what you see in the interface when its open. But as long as you launch that interface 'As Administrator" you shouldn't have any problems.

Something tells me you were fighting a Windows permission and administrator problem all along.  LOL

rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 12:21am
Hi, just to let you know it's still ok. I had already downloaded and installed all six updates. This install I'm mostly bush flying. I have bush programs pretty much all over the world. It's all set now and I'll have no reason to open GEX unless there's another update. Thanks again for your help.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 3:38pm
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic