SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slimdx dll error - SOLVED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slimdx dll error - SOLVED
    Posted: February-10-2020 at 11:16am
Hello there
I just reinstalled on a new PC the latest version 5.
The license is OK and I have been through the manual and tried to figure out all the ins and outs of starting it up and making sure the read/write properties of the files is OK, and I have done everything right as far as I'm able to understand. 

Two things im not sure of: Adding an argument P3D45... I tried adding this to FSISERVER EXE, but the file become unusable. I also tried to add it som the file was named FSISERVERP3D45.exe without luck.
In my setup it seems i got both .net 2 and 4 but I ran the msi in the opus v5 directory. It now states "it's already there" (in other words). The msi is called Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect. The other installer is the V5 itself and repaing does not fix my problem.

The status window is yellow and say "Initsiaising data".

Can we get it to run?

I dont know what more to try. It gives me the SlimDX error every time.
-------------
NAX
Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 11:26am
you are clearly not running the FSISERVER.EXE correctly, or it doesn’t have permission to create the necessary SlimDX.DLL. How did you add the P3D argument to the program? Can you show me? No need for P3D45 argument really as P3D will always assume latest P3D.

There’s no such program called FSISERVERP3D45.EXE so if you’ve renamed it please rename it back.

The SlimDX error could mean you are either not creating the correct SlimDX dll (by not using the argument properly or the software not being able to create it) or not starting in C:\OpusFSI_v5 folder, or perhaps having a dotnet2 SlimDX already installed in Windows.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 11:26am
 For FSX/Steam and P3D up to P3Dv3.3 inclusive 

Run the Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.msi file within your OpusFSI_v5 folder. This msi is the former standard dotNet 2 variety which can be used with all dotNet2 sim types and versions. This is used in our v5 software whenever you run the software selecting the dotNet 2 SlimDX and SimConnect mode ... 

FSISERVER.EXE FSX
FSISERVER.EXE STEAM
FSISERVER.EXE P3D2

FSISERVER.EXE P3D30

FSISERVER.EXE P3D31

FSISERVER.EXE P3D32

FSISERVER.EXE P3D33

For P3Dv3.4 onwards 

The FSISERVER and FSICLIENT startup programs will copy and rename the supplied LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect_v3.4.dll into the required LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect.dll (in OpusFSI_v5) whenever appropriate and the LM SimConnect dll does not exist. 

The following will select the dotNet 4 SlimDX and SimConnect modes ... 

FSISERVER.EXE P3D
FSISERVER
.EXE P3D3 

FSISERVER.EXE P3D34  

FSISERVER.EXE P3D4  

FSISERVER.EXE P3D45

There is a distinction between the latest Prepar3D v4.5 mode and earlier Prepar3D v4.x modes (refer to OpusFSI_Release_Notes.txt)
 so you should specify P3D41 through to P3D44 explicitly when using these versions. Note, specifying any combination of P3D, P3D4 or P3D45 and above will select the latest Prepar3D v4.5 mode of operation.

If for any reason Opus is blocked from automatically copying these dlls then you can do it manually. We supply SimConnect_v3.4 dll variants. You should copy (to OpusFSI_v5) and rename (to LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect.dll) to the v3.4 variant. 

Similarly for SlimDX we supply SlimDX2.dll and SlimDX4.dll which may be copied manually to OpusFSI_v5\SlimDX.dll if Opus is blocked from doing so.

Any other argument will assume the last saved operating mode for the FSISERVER and FSICLIENT programs. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 11:31am
There’s no msi to install P3D v4 SimConnect as that’s installed with P3D, or you can install there SDK.

OpusFSI v5 also uses the 32-bit dll and library included with our software.

Make sure you have not destroyed (renamed) the supplied SlimDX4.DLL.

First show me how you’ve tried to specify your program argument and check no AV software is blocking the dll creation. Most likely you are not adding it as an argument. Best done in the Target field of your created desktop shortcut. See GS Guide.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 11:34am
N.B.

You do not add the argument by appending it in the file name or extension. It’s added by supplying the argument in the shortcut or after the command.

You can supply NO argument to the FSISERVER program and it defaults to P3D v4.5
NAX View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 11:36am
well. I really dont know how to run some file with an argument. Isimply tried to rename the files with the p3d45 added in the name.

Other you mention to copy some files manually. From where to where? Probably simple for you to understand, but i dont have a clue. The slimDX files are all in the Opus v5 folder already.
Running the simconnect msi does not change anything.
Maybe I need to take a video to show you what im doing 
-------------
NAX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 11:40am
There is no SimConnect msi for P3D.

You add the argument either in the Target of the shortcut (see GS Guide) or append it after the exe on and command line. It’s a separate argument, not an extension to the file spec.

Best not use any argument if you are using latest P3D as it defaults to that anyway. Just make sure slimdx4.dll file exists, delete the SlimDX.dll (just in case you’ve locked it) then run FSISERVER.EXE. Not P3D or FSX SERVER EXE.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 11:42am
no need for a video. Just create your desktop shortcut as per the GS Guide.

Create Desktop Shortcuts

After installing the software we recommend you create a shortcut on your desktop for the server program. This shortcut will allow you to manually start your sim system without too much fuss.

1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your installation folder (OpusFSI_v5) and right-click on the FSISERVER.EXE program.  

2. Select the Send to - Desktop (create shortcut) option. 

3. Right-click on the new desktop icon, select Properties, in the Shortcut tab check the program is configured to Start In: your installation folder (c:\OpusFSI_v5). Select the Compatibility tab (if available) and tick the checkbox to Run this program as an Administrator.  

4. Left click on the icon once to select it and then left click again to select the icon name, type in OpusFSI_v5 SERVER to rename the icon.

You will find alternative program icons in the OpusFSI_v5 installation folder should you wish to change the existing icon.

Automatically Selecting the Simulator Type

The FSISERVER program will accept an optional argument to automatically select the simulator type when it runs. 

FSISERVER.EXE FSX

FSISERVER.EXE STEAM  

FSISERVER.EXE P3D

FSISERVER.EXE P3D2

FSISERVER.EXE P3D3 (or P3D30, P3D31, P3D32, P3D33, P3D3, P3D34

FSISERVER.EXE P3D4 (or P3D40, P3D41, P3D42, P3D43, P3D44, P3D45)

So if you have FSX, FSX Steam Edition and/or P3D you can create desktop shortcuts, one running 'c:\OpusFSI_v5\FSISERVER.EXE FSX' for Microsoft FSX, one running 'c:\OpusFSI_v5\FSISERVER.EXE STEAM' for FSX Steam Edition, and the other running 'c:\OpusFSI_v5\FSISERVER.EXE P3D' for the latest version of Lockheed Martin Prepar3D (use the other arguments listed above for specific versions of P3D).  

Note, specifying any combination of P3D, P3D4 or P3D45 and above will select the latest Prepar3D v4.5 mode of operation.

The FSICLIENT program will accept an optional argument NONE to select a No Connection To Simulator type for the FSICLIENT and activate the dotNet 4 client program.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 11:56am
notice the space between the FSISERVER.EXE program and its P3D argument. It’s an argument to the program and does not form part of the programs name or file name extension. If you add it to the EXE extension then Windows won’t know what to do with the file, it’s no longer an EXE (Executable). If you add it to the file name then the program’s no longer called FSISERVER.

Hence, the space (gap) between the program name and its argument.

FSISERVER.EXE  P3D

Stephen
NAX View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 12:14pm
I've done it exactly as written, but it still give me the same error.
I also tried to reinstall it via v5.1 to v.5.29.1.

SlimDX.dll is deleted
Opus folders and P3D folders are not write protected.
No argument added
msi run once more, stating everyting is already there
running as admin
FSUIPC is installed

-------------
NAX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 12:22pm
why are you running an msi.

Show me an image of your shortcut and add the P3D argument to the target line.

Try running the vcredist_x32.exe to ensure you have the required VC redist pack installed.

You could also post or email me an image of your c:\OpusFSI_v5 folder.

Make sure no AV software running, this will stop FSISERVER from creating the dll.

You could also prep the system manually by copying the Slimdx4.dll and renaming the copied file to read SlimDX.DLL. But do the above first as the SimConnect must also be prepared by FSISERVER.

Capure the window image using Alt and Prnt Screen keys. Then email them to me.
NAX View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 12:37pm
you stated i did not need an argument, and i havent got a clue where to add it. i dont lnow what a arument is and why your software should need any manual editing before working. nevermind
-------------
NAX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 12:45pm
The FSISERVER program must know how to prep to run for the different sim types. This is all described and explained very clearly above and in the Getting Started Guide. Running FSX needs old dot net 2 libraries. Running modern P3D requires dot net 4 libraries. To prep these libraries the FSISERVER start up program needs to know what sim you are wanting to run. So you have to tell it how to prepare ready to run the software and prep the necessary libraries. Hence you add a program argument (Google Program Argument). The argument is simply a parameter you supply which the program can read and then know what to do.

Please follow my instructions above and create your desktop shortcut for your  FSISERVER.EXE program. In the Properties for this shortcut you can simply append (with a gap) the P3D argument after the Target Program name. So it will read something like this...

Target:
C:\OpusFSI_v5\FSISERVER.EXE P3D

Start In:
C:\OpusFSI_v5

Just follow the simple instructions above.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 12:52pm
You of course are not editing the program or changing it in any way.

The software allows you to use any of the common FSX, STEAM, or various P3D simulators.

You just have to supply a parameter to tell it what mode or sim type you want to use it for.

When you do this for P3D then FSISERVER will prepare the dot net 4 SlimDX.DLL library and also the correct LM SimConnect library. If it cannot find the SlimDX.DLL then either it’s not creating it or the software is not starting in the expected \OpusFSI_v5 root folder. Must be a root folder.

Just use the instructions in the GS Guide, they are very clear and simple so you will soon get up and running with your P3D v4.5 sim.

Alternatively, upgrade to OpusFSI v6, run PDKSETUP.EXE the. P3DSERVER.EXE.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 1:02pm
From our FAQs ...

SlimDX error

For OpusFSI_v5 do not run P3DSERVER.EXE or FSXSERVER.EXE directly, instead run the FSISERVER.EXE program with the correct argument for your sim type.

If you still have problems you must ensure the SERVER program ...

Is starting in the correct c:\OpusFSI_vx folder.
Has permissions to copy and rename the relevant SlimDX DLL file.
Is able to copy the current SlimDX DLL, it's not locked or write protected.
Is not blocked by AV or Win Defender software.

Otherwise its attempt to copy and rename the SlimDX file will fail. You may also need to install the SlimDX dotNet 2 or 4 runtime using our supplied msi file in the OpusFSI_vx folder.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2020 at 1:26pm
if you want just email me an image of your Shortcut Properties page for FSISERVER and I will advise you what to do. Create the Shortcut as by following the instructions above.

Stephen
NAX View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2020 at 3:40am
Thanks for all the prompte advise Stephen.
I cannot get it to run, but got it running on another PC, so maybe there is something odd with my computer regarding registry and other user related properties.
I also struggle with getting my network sharing properly from this PC (win10Pro) and am afraid I didnt do the renaming correct when I bought the computer. It was set up with a clean install of win10, but with a local account named User49495xxxx. 
I will do a proper reset here and try again when I'm sure I own all the rights.

As a computer wizard... Is a clean install from scratch the only way to do this or will renaming in regestry/netplwiz? I have seen under install that /User49495xxxx folder is still beeing refered to, But I cannot see it. Maybe this is whats causing my problems?
-------------
NAX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2020 at 4:23am
The first thing I would try on the PC that's giving you trouble is the following...

1. Open the Win10 Control Panel and select Programs - Uninstall a Program.
2. Then Uninstall all SlimDX Runtime and SDK entries.
3. Then navigate to your c:\OpusFSI_v5 folder
4. Run both the supplied SlimDX Runtime .NET 2.0 and 4.0 MSI install files.
5. Then run the supplied vcredist_x86.exe program.

You could even try uninstalling OpusFSI v5 and then re-installing it back into c:\OpusFSI_v5 again.

Now try running the FSISERVER.EXE with your P3D argument (parameter) appended via your desktop shortcut.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2020 at 3:47pm
reinstalling Win10 is not likely to achieve anything.

You should do what I say above as clearly there is something amiss with your first PC. It will either be cured by undertaking the steps I indicate above or you may have left Win Defender active which as we all know is a fully fledged AV package in Win10. Any such package is likely to block the FSISERVERs attempt to create its SlimDX.DLL.

Of course you can always copy and rename the Slim4DX.dll as I mentioned earlier, manually creating the dot NET 4 SlimDX.DLL yourself.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2020 at 3:50pm
The software works fine on one PC but not the other. That’s clear evidence that either something is missing or something is blocking the SlimDX.dll creation on the failing PC.

Reinstalling Win10 afresh is unlikely to rectify this. Checking your AV and Win Defender are shut down completely, and carrying out the steps I mentioned above is the best way forward as there could be a number of things amiss with your bare boned Win10 PC.

Stephen
NAX View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 4:04am
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

The first thing I would try on the PC that's giving you trouble is the following...

1. Open the Win10 Control Panel and select Programs - Uninstall a Program.
2. Then Uninstall all SlimDX Runtime and SDK entries. <- no such entries
3. Then navigate to your c:\OpusFSI_v5 folder
4. Run both the supplied SlimDX Runtime .NET 2.0 and 4.0 MSI install files. <- no such files
5. Then run the supplied vcredist_x86.exe program. <- done it

You could even try uninstalling OpusFSI v5 and then re-installing it back into c:\OpusFSI_v5 again. <- done it 4 times

Now try running the FSISERVER.EXE with your P3D argument (parameter) appended via your desktop shortcut. <- no change

Stephen
-------------
NAX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 4:07am
I will give you manual prep steps to do so you can run P3DSERVER direct … please wait.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 4:28am

Follow the following steps to prepare to run the P3DSERVER.EXE program directly and hence avoid using the FSISERVER start up program. Steps 1 to 3 are only needed to be performed once unless you prep differently in the future.

First navigate to the c:\OpusFSI_v5 folder.

Step 1:

Prepare SlimDX library ...

Copy and Paste the SlimDX4.dll
Rename the file
  SlimDX4 - Copy.dll
to
  SlimDX.dll

Step 2:

Prepare the LM SimConnect library ...

Copy and Paste the LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect_v3.4.dll
Rename the file
  LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect_v3.4 - Copy.dll
to
  LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect.dll

Step 3:

Prepare the GeoidHeights library ...

Copy and Paste the GeoidHeights4.dll
Rename the file
  GeoidHeights4 - Copy.dll
to
  GeoidHeights.dll

Step 4:

Run P3DSERVER.EXE in Admin Mode and starting in its c:\OpusFSI_v5 root folder.

FYI

I have emailed you an image of my desktop shortcut properties for FSISERVER.

I will also provide download links for the SlimDX install.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 4:36am
Here's a link to download the runtime install for the dotNet 4 SlimDX (should you need it) …

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/SlimDX Runtime .NET 4.0 x86 (January 2012).msi

This is used in OpusFSI_v5 when running in dotNet 4 P3D mode.

Of course I would also advise you also try downloading and installing the latest release of OpusFSI v6 if you are using P3D v4.5 as this 64-bit software is far superior to OpusFSI v5.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 4:39am
Perhaps you could email me an image of your desktop shortcut properties.

Use Alt and Print Screen keys to copy it, Ctrl and V to past into the email.

Of course after re installing Win10 you should make sure its fully up to date and Win Defender is disabled.

Stephen
NAX View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 6:37am
In case other users experience the same error, the runtime linked here did the trick.

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/SlimDX Runtime .NET 4.0 x86 (January 2012).msi

copy and paste the whole line including spaces into your browser and run the downloaded msi file.
Cudos to Stephen that use so mych recourses to solve the users (my) problems.
-------------
NAX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2020 at 6:40am
Thanks NAX, that’s great news.

Most likely a missing DirectX or .Net library that is included in the runtime install.

Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic