SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Partner Forums > Opus Software
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Saving Dynamic Weather - Historic Weather Themes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saving Dynamic Weather - Historic Weather Themes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saving Dynamic Weather - Historic Weather Themes
    Posted: September-02-2012 at 5:05am
You can save any interesting dynamic weather you encounter as a static theme so that you can reload it and enjoy the experience at a later time, or even at a different location (the static themes are not location specific). For example, you could save an interesting tropical weather theme and then enjoy flying in the same weather in Europe.

To save an interesting dynamic weather region, first pause the simulator, select windowed mode if running full screen, open the Weather dialog of your OpusFSX server program, and click on the 'Save Current Dynamic Weather' button. You will be able to name the static weather theme before it is created.

Our intention with this feature was to not only allow you to save interesting weather patterns for later use, allowing you to create a library of different and interesting past weather scenarios; but also to allow people to swap weather files and share their experiences.

I hope the above comments have given you some ideas of your own. If you would like to comment, or even suggest further enhancements to this feature, please add your post here.

Regards
Stephen
Opus Software View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2012 at 3:10am
Historic Weather ...

Here is an extract from a different but related post ...

There are two methods you can use to load historic weather data. The first method allows you to import a text file containing a list of METARs. This method can also be used to define your own weather usually with a single global (GLOB) METAR statement. The OpusFSX Live Weather Engine (LWE) also saves all downloaded METAR statements into an OpusWeather.txt file. We use this method to reload a users weather if they report an anomaly they want us to look into.

The second method is more interesting. The OpusFSX LWE can save the current weather map as a named static weather theme for you to reload at any time and place in the future. You can use this feature to save any interesting weather scenarios from anywhere in the world, then reload them at a later stage at any other place in the world. That way you can simply build up a library of interesting weather scenarios of your own, or even swap weather themes with others. Each named static theme covers the entire detailed 992km by 992km weather region. In other words, the detailed weather extends over 300 miles in every direction. If you wish, simply look for any interesting weather anywhere in the world on the web, navigate your aircraft there, let the LWE construct the detailed weather map, after it has loaded, save it as a named weather theme, goto your Canadian airfield and load the static theme you have just saved and go fly. You can therefore save some interesting tropical weather or storm, save it, and use in Quebec.

The saved themes are simple to use, can be saved on your own system, swapped with other users, and reloaded any time in the future. Many OpusFSX users like storm chasing, the saved themes can also be used to repeat the experience at some other time and place of your choosing.

Hope that helps. Anyway that will probably be how we eventually build a library of downloadable weather scenarios. This will also involve input from users who could email interesting scenarios for others to experience (e.g. Anyone fancy hurricane Isaac over London).

There are numerous websites you can use to find interesting current weather to capture and reload. Personally I don't care for historic METARs, METARs are area specific so you can't load the weather anywhere else. Saved themes are like the old Martini ad, any place any time.

We like to keep things simple.

Regards
Stephen
FoolCryptic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoolCryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2012 at 4:47am
Good morning, Stephen

I have been reluctant to post this, thinking perhaps my brain has just stopped functioning properly, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to return to a previously 'saved' theme.
I have read and re-read the documentation but i'm still scratching my head.

I note the themes are saved as .wt and .wtb extensions in c: opusfsx/themes and also fsx/weather/themes but how do you load them into OPUS?

My apologies if i am missing the obvious.

...oh, and congratulations on excellent software and support!

Kind regards
Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoolCryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2012 at 5:00am
Actually scratch that....still had 'live weather' ticked!

I chose my username wisely Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2012 at 5:02am
Hi Stephen (good name)
No need to apologise, its a good question.

At present you have to select them by disabling the Live Weather Engine in the Configure dialog and then opening the Weather dialog, select 'User Specified ...' and Browse for your saved theme.

All very long and cumbersome I know. That is why we are in the process of allowing you to do all this via the FSX Addon 'Load Static Theme...' window, or a similar window for you to make the selection. When you do it this way the software will automatically disable the LWE and load the static theme you select, then if you later click on 'Enable Dynamic Weather' option in the Addon menu everything will revert back to live weather.

We are presently just figuring out how to do it because the text windows only have 10 lines of selectable text. But we will figure it out soon - might end up a bit like Stephen Hawkings voice box - selecting single themes if you have less than 10, or displaying grouped sets of themes (alphabetically) if you have more than 9 etc.

For now you will have to use the slow and 'windowed mode' method - make sure if you are in full screen mode that you close any text windows you have open such as the Weather Report or an ATC window - there are bugs in the FSX and P3D software which will ruin your flight.

Regards
Stephen Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoolCryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2012 at 5:11am
Thanks for the comprehensive and speedy reply, Stephen (it is, isn't it).

If your intended window operates like the ATC window then wouldn't a '0. ...next page' option work?
Not sure how many pages that would allow?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2012 at 5:21am
It would and we have that under consideration. Just thinking about how to quickly select a theme quickly when you have say a hunded or more.

Regards
Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoolCryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2012 at 5:36am
Sounds like a minefield!

Probably best to set a limit and offer users the option to and responsibility for 'tidying' their saved folder.

Good luck and i look forward to the updates!

Stephen

petworld123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petworld123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2013 at 9:24am
I remember some time ago a database was mentioned for extreme weather, did this ever come to fruition ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2013 at 12:39pm
Our own static weather themes are still in the pipeline but have not been developed or introduced yet.

Stephen
Hangar34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2013 at 12:35pm
To quote from the opening post of this topic...
Quote ...but also to allow people to swap weather files and share their experiences.

I think the original intention was for a 'database' of weather themes to almost build itself through users saving and sharing their own favourite weather conditions between themselves rather than just a specific set of pre-made themes offered from a downloadable library. But there doesn't seem to have been any real take-up by users on this form of sharing themes amongst themselves as yet.
rsvette12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsvette12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2013 at 4:49pm
Hi Stephen:

Are these generic weather themes that can be selected in OPUS better than the generic themes in fsx thanks so much.

Regards, Rich

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 3:32am
They will be much much better when we implement them.

The idea is that the LWE will save its entire weather map (800 x 800 miles) along with all associated GRIB forecast data. That way when you load or share a previously saved Opus weather theme the LWE will be able to load the data and reconstruct the entire weather map for you to fly in. The LWE will update FSX in the usual manner and supervise your flight, set the winds and temps aloft targets etc., just as if the data was freshly downloaded, and all within the exetended 800 x 800 mile region.

The Opus weather map is not only much larger and more accurate than the FSX internal data is capable of being, it contains over six times the amount of data that FSX can cope with and covers an area 50% larger than FSX can cope with, in actual fact, it covers an area more than 250% larger than the area FSX is able to store 'accurate' weather data within.

Stephen Smile
robmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 12:24pm
Hi,

Iím the poster mentioned towards the top of this thread from last year. Itís taken me a while to get used to this method of using Opus as I came from using the archived historical weather available in a competitor product. The results are well worth the minimal effort though.

I tend to do a lot of long point-to-point tours through different regions (e.g. Iím currently exploring Orbx SAK) and land on many unlisted airstrips or other suitable locations. This means I canít always start from an airport so for convenience I use saved flights to resume where I last landed. The 24-hour historical weather in Opus covers time of day for my flight with the weather varying as per real-world. Depending on my personal preference for the current weather on offer I then save the weather file with a date, location and descriptive title for possible future use. I can then decide to fly with this weather or restore one of my previous saved weather files. This works quite well in a tour as Iím getting temperatures and weather patterns relevant to that part of the world for the general time of year but Iím also able to build up a library for future use. For example there appear to have been some pretty good flying days in Alaska recently so if the heavy stuff closes in and Iím not in the mood for a challenge or just want to see the scenery I can go back to better conditions.

Sorry if all this seems obvious but it did take me a little while to switch from my old way of using weather sites which was to find the conditions I wanted and then downloading the relevant historical METARs for that date. This would have been impractical for more than a few weather stations unless handled automatically as it was by my previous weather software. However, the method Iíve outlined above works just as well for me with all the benefits of Opus weather depiction.

BTW Ė looking forward to the enhanced weather map features or has that already been included in a recent update?

Rob W

i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 12:42pm
Hi Rob

We have not yet developed the Opus static weather theme but soon will. All the other weather upgrades have been incorporated now so we are ready to consider an Opus 800 x 800 mile static theme using the entire weather map data and associated GRIB forecast data to control a users flight.

Stephen
Kronzky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kronzky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 1:03pm
I'm still a bit confused about how Opus weather themes work (I mean how they currently work, not how they will work, in a future release).

In the first posts it is said that the area 300 miles around you will be saved. So I assume that several weather stations will be saved alongside it, and it would be possible to experience changing weather situations within this grid? (Unlike the default FSX themes that have the exact same weather everywhere?)

But since this weather is "portable" (e.g. "move hurricane Isaac to London"), I guess upon loading a theme it will then be centered around your new location? But how does that work with the originally saved weather stations? Since these airports/weather stations may not exist anymore at your current location, how are the different conditions handled if I move my location?

I am trying to save specific weather situations, to be used in a race, so that every competitor has the same condition, but they should contain changing situations, as you move along the map (just like you would in real weather). Can this be done via Opus themes?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 1:23pm
You will save the current weather patterns within the grid. It will load these same weather patterns at the new location. As you are flying along you will see the weather changing from cell to cell (unlike the default FSX themes that have the exact same weather everywhere) but it doesn't update the weather in real time.

Cheryl
reecemj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reecemj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 2:48pm
Are the cells the same size on the grid? When the theme is save and loaded does it function like the live weather map. Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 2:54pm
The FSX static weather themes have far less detail than the Opus Weather Map although the cell sizes are the same much of the associated data such as upper wind targets cannot all be saved. The FSX theme is also smaller in size.

We will be introducing our own Opus Static Theme option soon. These will save all the data and allow the LWE to supervise your flight keeping FSX updated with all necessary data. This static option will also save the entire 800 x 800 mile map.

Stephen
reecemj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reecemj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2013 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

They will be much much better when we implement them.

The idea is that the LWE will save its entire weather map (800 x 800 miles) along with all associated GRIB forecast data. That way when you load or share a previously saved Opus weather theme the LWE will be able to load the data and reconstruct the entire weather map for you to fly in. The LWE will update FSX in the usual manner and supervise your flight, set the winds and temps aloft targets etc., just as if the data was freshly downloaded, and all within the exetended 800 x 800 mile region.

The Opus weather map is not only much larger and more accurate than the FSX internal data is capable of being, it contains over six times the amount of data that FSX can cope with and covers an area 50% larger than FSX can cope with, in actual fact, it covers an area more than 250% larger than the area FSX is able to store 'accurate' weather data within.

Stephen Smile

Hi Stephen when will we see this in Opus.

Thanks  Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2013 at 9:12am
Not too long now I hope, its still quite prominent on the 'to do' list.

Stephen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2013 at 9:26am
Saving Weather Data ...

We have had further ideas that have been added to the list relating to saving weather themes or data for later use. The current software allows us to save the weather in two files. A date stamped text file will contain the downloaded METARs in an identical fashion to the current OpusWeather.txt file. The second date stamped data file will save all associated GRIB forecast data.

When the saved Opus theme is recalled the software will simply use the 'Import' facility to import the METARs, a new import facility will import the GRIB data rather than downloading. The LWE will then operate as normal, updating the weather as you fly around the weather region.

The benefit of this new scheme will mean I can also ask users to specify their own saved weather region. By default all data relating to the current 800 x 800 mile weather map will be saved. But the user could specify a larger weather region, say 1200 x 1200 miles. The LWE will then proceed to download all METARs and TAFs within this larger area and saving these reports along with the extended GRIB data. This is just listed as an idea at the moment.

Stephen
Michael2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 10:26pm
I've been reading the manuals and various threads and have not been able to determine if I can save the weather so that I can reload it when resuming a saved flight.  I typically fly 1-2,000 mile airliner flights.  I gather the saved dynamic themes would not cover a big enough area. 

I never have time to complete a flight in one sitting.  Is what I am looking to do possible with Opus?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2014 at 3:53am
It is not really possible at the moment and you should be aware the FSX static themes cannot contain all the weather information for your flight anyway, in fact they, and the sim, can only hold less that one sixth of the weather data and restricted to an area 620 x 620 statute miles.

For example, the LWE maintains about one million meteorological parameters during your flight including extensive data derived from the NOAA GRIB forecast. This data far exceeds the capabilities within the sim which also imposes severe limitations on the accuracy of all long range weather data. The sim has very limited resources and capabilities.

However, there are two possibilities.

Firstly you can use the Historic option to resume your flight up to 24 hours after saving it. This option will also reuse your GRIB data allowing the flight to be completed in the same weather conditions.

Finally, in the future you will be able to use the Opus Static Weather Themes. These will allow you to save all the METAR weather covering any specified area or even global so that you can resume and continue the flight at a later date. The relevant GRIB cycle data will be downloaded provided full weather data coverage.

Stephen
Michael2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2014 at 12:34pm
Thanks for the clear answer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2014 at 4:39pm
You're welcome, the Opus Static Theme option won't be too long now, we pretty much know what we are going to do with the option. As Norman said, this is a Sangria moment but I'm fairly certain about this option.

Stephen
sightseer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sightseer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 12:13pm

I'm having a real problem with weather themes in P3D2.

There was a time when OPUS only overwrote my 'clear sky' default theme and all the others were left as they were but lately it seems as though everytime I try to save a static theme using OPUS it changes all the other themes that have already been saved.

Maybe this is a P3D problem. I don't know. All I know is that I cant count on any weather theme being what is was yesterday. Everytime I save new weather, at least a few of my previous themes will change.

maybe its a pointer problem.

I really hope this makes sense.
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 12:42pm
P3D is not involved or affected. Opus will not overwrite any static theme at all. Its own theme is call OpusWeather.WTB so is unique. Of course when you save the weather as a static theme (very limited and not really advised ... You should see the posts on the future Opus Static Themes which will overcome these serious limitations) then you should specify an appropriate filename and not select one of the standard themes.

I think you should look towards a different Addon for the culprit here. Opus does not overwrite or remove any weather themes ... It only uses its own OpusWeather Dynamic Weather Theme.

Unless this is a P3D bug, but Opus will only ever ask it to display a theme, it never touches any of the standard theme files.

Stephen

P.S.

I believe this problem has already been identified as a problem with a different Addon. As I mentioned above Opus does not have much to do with the standard static weather themes. We just create our own OpusWeather.WTB as a Dynamic Weather Theme, copy that to the simulators theme folder, and then load it.
sightseer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sightseer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 4:44pm

Stephen - I think it must be a bug with P3D. In v1.4 it was only the clear weather theme that got 'overwritten' but with 2.x, its all the themes.

I don't think any of them are getting overwritten. It must be a cache of previous weather and either its a bug or my system just isn't clearing the cache properly. I choose 'Fair Weather' right now and I get low visibility and large cumulus. My Orbx themes keep shifting around. Clear skies are nowhere to be found. Its a mess. kinda forces me to use live weather though so I guess its good. except the default weather - Ive trapped it in a saved flight and its always there.
I'm not sure whats going on.

thanks.
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 5:04pm
Opus does not write over or alter these files at all. Sounds like you have other weather enabled. Have you checked the contents of your sims Weather/theme folder, are all the WTB files there or has some Addon deleted them (it wouldn't be Opus ... Have you looked into your other Addons).

But why bother with the static themes, they are very limited and basic. Learn how to create various METAR Import files containing a single GLOB METAR and create whatever weather scenarios you want to fly in. The import facility IS infinitely better that those limited static themes Microsoft created, plus the LWE will allow you to use GRIB data for RW upper winds and temps. Leave those static themes alone, they are pretty poor.

Stephen
TymK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TymK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 9:42am
Hi,

I wasn't sure if a new thread should be created, and this one seemed relevant... Wink

I've just tried the new beta and got a crash on launch. It appears that the program is looking for the "...OpusFSI\Weather\Themes" subdirectory, but it creates one called "Weather Themes" instead.

Tym
TymK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TymK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 9:52am
I renamed the folder and the program launched OK, I forgot to add that...

Tym

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 10:07am
I can't find anything wrong at all.

My msi created a folder c:\OpusFSI\Weather\Themes and the software installed correctly and ran perfectly fine.

It is supposed to create a folder \OpusFSI\Weather\Themes.

Remember OpusFSI MUST be in a root folder, e.g. c:\OpusFSI

Perhaps you should download again just in case your msi is corrupt.

Stephen
TymK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TymK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 10:16am
I've just uninstalled, manually deleted the "Themes" subfolder, then re-downloaded and re-installed, and the folder that was created during installation is again "Weather Themes" rather than "Themes"... That's a strange one...

Tym

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 10:17am
Still cannot find anything wrong. Downloaded the Beta and did a fresh install and all was OK. Created both the \OpusFSI\Weather and \OpusFSI\Weather\Themes folders as it should.

Stephen
TymK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TymK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 10:22am
Manually renaming the folder resolves the issue, so I can use the program just fine. Let's see if this installer weirdness happens to anyone else Wink

Tym

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 10:26am
It is something to do with installing Opus on a drive other than drive C. We will rebuild the msi and post a new version.

Thanks for the report.
Cheryl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 10:36am
OK, modified and uploaded the revised Beta 4.45.1.

If you could give that a try.

Many thanks Tym
Stephen
TymK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TymK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 10:45am
Now I get a corrupt installer (tried in two different browsers, cleaned the cache)...

Tym

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Opus Software Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 10:52am
OK, looks like it is corrupt on the server so we will upload again.

Thanks
Cheryl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic