SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

REX over FEX?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REX over FEX?
    Posted: December-23-2013 at 6:43am
Hello,
Y use FSX with Acceleration, and have already installed FLightEnvironmentX, (which I use habitually and find superb)
I have purchased REX4 and, before installing it, I would like to know if both addons are compatible with one another (I would install REX over FEX)

Allienware Aurora; intel i7 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon 7950 with 3GB GRAM

I would thank you for your advise.
Regards.
Roberto
woodhick803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 7:20am
Are you thinking of things like configuring clouds & water in both at once?  That wouldn't work, but if you are going to use REX to configure those sceneries that FEX doesn't modify then yes, they work fine together.
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Intel I7 960 quad core processor O/C'ed to 3.7GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX570 1.2Gb video card
6 Gb Muskin DDR3 CL 6 RAM
300Gb VelociRaptor dedicated hard drive
Win 7 Home Premium
robertoga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 9:34am
Thank you, woodhick80,
I hawe configured clouds, skies and water in FEX and installed them in FSX, and work fine and I like the addon a lot.
Now, I would like to configure clouds, skies, water, airports and so in REX (specially for the waters, skies and airports, FEX clouds find I insuperable), and then install them in FSX, in order to try REX on FSX.
I had thought that both addons would overwrite the files already on FSX.
Am I wrong?
Note: I have installed too Ultimate Terrain and Ground Environment for North America and Europe. And my OS is Windows 7 64 bits.
Thanks again, and regards.
robertoga

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 9:42am
No, you are not wrong.  REX will overwrite the any textures you install in FSX, even those from FEX.  I was mistaken in what I said earlier.  I wasn't quite awake yet.  Ultimate Terrain and Ground Environment work well with both programs.
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Win 7 Home Premium
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 10:40am
REX can not be use with FEX..  its either one or the other

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 10:44am
Clarification needed Nick.  Are you saying you cannot use FEX clouds, install REX in your computer and overwrite the FEX clouds with those from REX?  I know more than one sim flyer using FEX clouds/water and REX airport textures.
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Win 7 Home Premium
robertoga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 1:39pm
Thanks, Woodhick803 and Nickn,
I agree on the interpretation by Woodhick, and think maybe Nickn has not got my intention: I do not intend to use both addons at the same time, but using one or another; or different parts of each other.
But I was afraid of having to uninstall or delete files, or recover backups, before installing any themes from these addons on FSX.
So, I will try mantaining clouds from FEX (already installed) and install water, skies, airports and the rest from REX, being aware that files from FEX already installed would be overwritten.
Tank you very much, and cordial regards.
robertoga
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 2:17pm
No... what I am saying is you cant have both doing the same thing

FEX doesn't allow you to install 'just clouds'  the selection that gets installed will include clouds, water, waves and sky, at the same time. There is no option to only install clouds or only install water,..  its all or nothing.

What ever you use from REX and how that works, I cant say.. I don't use it. If their GUI allows 'just clouds' or 'just water' or 'just airport' textures and doesn't install or change anything else then selections can be made that way, but FEX doesn't allow that from the GUI as far I can see.. you install all or none with FEX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 3:27pm
Quoting NickN:  "FEX doesn't allow you to install 'just clouds'  the selection that gets installed will include clouds, water, waves and sky, at the same time. There is no option to only install clouds or only install water,..  its all or nothing."

So you can use airport textures, roads, etc from REX.  Just not the textures as Nick outlined above.
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Win 7 Home Premium
DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 6:48pm
so if I go into FEX/Options/Install Options and just check clouds wouldn't that just install clouds? did I miss something? I have been on an all sugar diet the last few days of this holiday season.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 7:00pm
There is no "just check clouds' option.. if there is I certainly have never seen it.

When you select a cloud option, it ADDS it to the 'total theme' which appears on the MAIN window at the bottom

The button to install says: INSTALL SELECTED THEMES..     not   INSTALL SELECTED CLOUDS

Now..  lets say after you have installed a THEME SET you change the clouds and leave the rest the same, then the clouds will change but it will REPEAT the install for the other parts of the theme, ie; water, sky and waves

DEaD View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DEaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 8:31pm
this is what I meant when I said "just clouds" maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time. sorry I was not that clear in what I meant.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2013 at 8:53pm
Then I stand corrected...   I forgot all about those features, probably because I never used any other environment program other than FEX and always found it to be the most realistic.

Never looked for it, however now that you posted that screen I do remember it. I am also not at home or around a system to check the GUI.

Well there you have it..  disable the theme elements you don't want installed.

case closed

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic