SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Flight1 General Discussion and Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement for FSX Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement for FSX Help
    Posted: July-31-2020 at 7:12pm
I had to install Win 10 and I find that it will not support FSX. I feel comfortable with it and have UTX, GEX, Airports, weather, several third party planes and 8 states of Megascenery. One plane, the Epic Dynasty, I use 90% of the time.

I have read about FSX (Steam) but too many bad reviews, otherwise that would be my first choice if it will load my planes and scenery. Does anyone use it and what are your comments.

I don't plan to jump into Microsoft 2020 so what else do you suggest? 
thx
Bert Pieke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Pieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2020 at 7:52pm
FSX does work in Windows 10..

I had FSX installed in Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10.

FSX still works just fine..

BTW, FSX-SE is OK too.. if you need to reinstall and no longer have the discs..

Bert
JoeS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2020 at 12:46am
I have the fsx disc's. When I try to install the "Install Wizard" comes up and states "Removing Applications". Then it runs on and on. When I shut it down it comes up with a "error 1628". There is 5 solutions from Microsoft. The first one I tried wouldn't work and eventually it stated it was trying to install a 32 bit driver. I am not a computer guru and may just have to hire someone to have a stab at it or try the Steam version. I checked and find that my add on planes will work with FSX-SE.
Is FSX-SE identical to FSX? or are there adjustments to be made? If so do you have a idea what they are?
thx
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2020 at 9:45am
FSXSE is identical to FSX Acceleration with the exception it comes with all the updates and has had some further development. I would suggest skipping the disks and going to FSXSE but do not install their beta version. 

Regardless do make sure DX9 is fully installed and updated in Windows10 which is easy enough to do and would be required for the disk version anyway. Download and run the web update tool but be sure to uncheck to install the BING toolbar.

It will tell you if any component is missing and will offer to update if there are any missing files. 

From there install STEAM and then FSX from the Steam application. When it comes to custom location for FSX you will need to read the prompts to point FSX to install to the location of your choice. 

If it is a first time FSX install then it will read to the system and addons just like FSX box version and will not require any special outline for addons.

JoeS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2020 at 1:19pm
Thx. I just downloaded DirectX and that went well. I will install Steam later today.

I was intending to load UTX sometime later. I have a earlier version with all your instructions for enhancing UTX  OR should I just go to UTXversion 2  OR is there a better pgm to go to?
THx Joe S
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2020 at 2:03pm
You should use only the latest version of any of the products you own. The directions for setting up UTX are basically the same with changes to the lighting system and a few others for v2 of their products and are still linked in the GEX forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic