SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Flight1 General Discussion and Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prototype Under-Desk Mounting System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prototype Under-Desk Mounting System
    Posted: April-02-2014 at 6:33pm
Hi,

I am making a post to get general feedback from the simming public! Flight1Tech has been working on a prototype mounting system for Saitek flight controls. This mounting system allows you to put all your Saitek controls under the desk, thus freeing up the desktop for anything else you may want.

The system will work with the yokes, push-pull console, and the throttle lever console. For the yoke, you can actually embed it in its own box, making everything very uncluttered.

We need to gauge general public interest in such a design, and would like your feedback.

See the pics below. Price would be dependent on a production run quantity.

Steve

Hodge001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hodge001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2014 at 2:22am
Hi Steve

Well that’s a bit of déjà vu as I have made something similar, but not to the same standard as your prototype unit, in fact not even close to it, the only extra I have added was a hinge to the rear of the unit and a catch on either side of the tray to allow the whole shooting match to swing down out of the way so that you could use the computer system for something other than flying, I know it’s a sacrilege to use a PC for anything other than flight simulation but the yoke get in the way when I am doing things like making my repaints, so it is still flight simming in a way, but this type of unit might not be to everyone’s taste.

I would add that at the right price I would probably purchase one, even if I had to modify it myself, as it really does look good.

Jim Hodkinson
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2014 at 9:33am
How did you get the cover plate on?
I am guessing it has a slot for the yoke shaft that I cannot see in the picture?
i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus
Jim Rhoads View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2014 at 10:55am
Avidaen,

Yes that is correct, it has a cutout slot and 4 quick release fasteners.

Regards
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2014 at 10:58am
I like the idea. I guess leg room would be one concern, albeit a minor one. Just get a higher desk.

I also like the idea of quick release fasteners. My desk is devoted to flight sim so it would not be an issue, but I can see how it would be a useful feature for anyone who has to share a desk.
John Patterson
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2014 at 11:49am
It wouldn't be my cup of tea but I can see a lot of simmers would go for it is the price was right. There must be tens of thousands of these yokes out that. I think the old version and the new version have the same relevant dimensions. It could be mounted upside down on top of the desk too. Right? Aluminum or Plastic?
i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus
Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2014 at 12:10pm
It is actually plate steel, so it is a bit hardened, which you would likely want. You could mount it upside down if you want to on top of the desk, but then it is like you are building a console in a way. In fact, we thought of offering a "blank" faceplate also, so home cockpit builders could add their own switches if they like tinkering with that type of thing. They would need to drill out the holes of course.

Here is a pic of the faceplate with the yoke slot.

Steve

Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2014 at 2:47pm
Well I am in business and I think that you have a good product there because it is something that compliment an existing well known, Prolific item. Its seems simple - easy to manufacture. Is the bracket for the TQ a separate piece? Offer options for 2 Saitek TQ's or a TPM
Then you have all the bases covered. Oh and the trim wheel. You could extend (double the length of the piece) on the end for the TQ and include an L shaped bracket then you really have all the bases covered.

If the user had 1 TQ and the trim wheel they could mount both on the plate flush with the Yoke. It they had 2 TQ's they could mount both TQ's on the plate and use the L shape bracket to mount the Trim wheel below and out front of the of one the TQ's. Or they could Mount the TPM and put the trim wheel out front on the bottom with L bracket.

But you guys already know all that
I am such a moron

I can see a lot of simmers liking that solid feel.
Its not me but I do like it. However, if I modified my current setup
I can see how it would be a nice addition.

Here is what I currently use. Never mind the Joystick and X52 throttle.
That's what I am currently using. I just stuck the Yoke, TPM and Trim wheel on there to take the picture. But I have a few different setups for this and can switch them around quickly.

To use your mount I would definitely have modify the wood work or perhaps not if I used it upside down.

For sure I do not like those Saitek Plastic Clamps. They Crake!
hubinsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hubinsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2014 at 9:37pm
I like that Dean, did you build it from plans or your own design?
Regards, John
woodhick803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodhick803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2014 at 7:18am
How about keyboard placement?  Looks great otherwise.
Jetline Hellfire GTO
Intel I7 960 quad core processor O/C'ed to 3.7GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX570 1.2Gb video card
6 Gb Muskin DDR3 CL 6 RAM
300Gb VelociRaptor dedicated hard drive
Win 7 Home Premium
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by hubinsc hubinsc wrote:

I like that Dean, did you build it from plans or your own design?

I just throw it together as an experiment a few years ago out of scrap wood and a car seat that I picked up at a scrap yard and I am still Using it. LOL

I took out the pictures don't want to distract from the Under desk Mount
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2014 at 12:28pm
Regarding a bracket to drop the throttle lower... that may be possible. In fact it may only need to be a beefed up faceplate. I will have to check into this.
Steve

mallcott View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallcott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 7:25am
One thing to comment on. My desk like many, is built on a metal frame and I have a crossmember under the front edge of the desk, supporting the wooden top. 

The metal plates would need a cutout each side to accommodate this type of mounting.

Dave5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 10:31am
I know this is an older post, but I for one am VERY interested in this mounting bracket. Did you ever decide to sell one? If not, do you have any tips on making one or finding something suitable? 

Also, I'm curious how you'd keep the yoke from sliding around on the shelf. Is it screwed down to it at all?

Thanks!

EDIT: As I'm searching the web I found this on Amazon. I haven't bought my yoke yet (Saitek Cessna version) but from what I read dimensions-wise this might work really well:

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:45pm
This is what is currently being used professionally. It is a mounting system. We have yet to break this apart, but we may be able to do so.

What specific parts were you needing? Look at the pictures to see what comes with the system.

https://www.facebook.com/Flight1Tech/posts/10152844927064071

Steve

Dave5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Steve Halpern Steve Halpern wrote:

This is what is currently being used professionally. It is a mounting system. We have yet to break this apart, but we may be able to do so.

What specific parts were you needing? Look at the pictures to see what comes with the system.

https://www.facebook.com/Flight1Tech/posts/10152844927064071

Wow that does look nice! I'd probably be interested in only the tray that holds the yoke itself since I would be screwing it into the bottom of my solid wood desk. 

Does that sell on your website? I didn't see it listed.

Thanks!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2016 at 12:02pm
Hi Dave,

The tray is for some desk bottoms that have hardware and cannot have things easily attached. It also allows changing of devices without having to drill new holes. But if all you are wanting is a device to mount the Saitek yoke, we may be able to sell you one.

Go submit a ticket over at http://tickets.flight1tech.com/. These are not publicly for sale yet but if you submit a ticket we can quote you a price.

Steve

Dave5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 8:56am
Hi Steve, 

I might just do that. Right now I'm still trying to figure out not only my desk situation, but also Saitek vs CH yokes, so much happening. If I decide to stick with the Saitek I'll definitely look into it. 

Thanks again!

b737 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 4:04am
Hi Steve, long time no see man.  I looked at your mount setup on FB. looks really good.

However, I have dual Saitek throttles for multi engine stuff.  Looking at the brackets, It looks like the throttles would be too far apart. Ref the pic with throttle quad and trim wheel. Am I missing something on the setup. Could you mount the 2 quads together, so there is no gap?

Hope to cross paths again someday. Microwings, was a long time ago.

Best,
David
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 12:05am
Hi David. Yes, Microwings was a long time ago! I enjoyed them, especially my first one in Dallas. I was just entering the industry at that point.

I believe there would be a gap because of the flange that holds the face plate onto the mounting box. The units we have we use for custom solutions over at Flight1Tech and are designed for some specific setups. Two throttles right next to each other was not something we planned for.

Steve

COA626 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COA626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2019 at 9:18am

Hi Dave,

The tray is for some desk bottoms that have hardware and cannot have things easily attached. It also allows changing of devices without having to drill new holes. But if all you are wanting is a device to mount the Saitek yoke, we may be able to sell you one.

Go submit a ticket over at http://tickets.flight1tech.com/. These are not publicly for sale yet but if you submit a ticket we can quote you a price.

Steve,

Are these under desk yoke mounts still available? I’d be very interested in buying one. 

Thanks,
John Navara 
KLAX Hub Manager
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 8:58am
Hi John,

These never quite made it to market. It was a great design, but quite heavy and to make it practical to sell we would have had to sell many to keep the price down. If it was more expensive than the yoke itself that would not have been good.
Steve

COA626 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COA626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 9:50am

Hi John,

These never quite made it to market. It was a great design, but quite heavy and to make it practical to sell we would have had to sell many to keep the price down. If it was more expensive than the yoke itself that would not have been good.

Thanks for the reply Steve.  Looks like I'll have to break out the wood and screws. I wish I would have kept my wood box I made before going to the HOTAS setup.  The HOTAS is sold and I am going back to the Saitek.

John

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic