Print Page | Close Window

MS Flight Simulator 11

Printed From: SimForums.com
Category: General Discussion Forums
Forum Name: Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
Forum Description: Computer hardware, software, and computer technology.
URL: https://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=61685
Printed Date: May-26-2020 at 10:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: MS Flight Simulator 11
Posted By: Avidean
Subject: MS Flight Simulator 11
Date Posted: June-10-2019 at 7:42am
When I bult my previous system in 2013 it was for FSX and shortly after I completed it Prepar3D V2 was released. Now that I have built the system to replace that system for Prepar3D V4.5, this happens: ShockedLOL

-------------
i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus

Replies:
Posted By: jfri
Date Posted: June-10-2019 at 9:05am
What I think about this new title is this. When it is released there wont exist any computer that can run it and this will be true for many years. After all this has been the case every time MS releases a new FS title.

Date Posted: June-10-2019 at 10:06am
I saw something in the video that gave me pause for thought. I think that this is a rework of FSX rather then a completely new engine. Check out the bottom left corner of the video just a fraction of a second after 1:09 and you will see road traffic on the highway and you will see the traffic on the underpass go right over and right through the traffic on the highway. You can only see it for a split second. This is one of the worst and most jarring immersion killers in FSX and P3D to this day. If it wasn't, I would never have spotted it but my eye was drawn to it like a magnet to steel! Yuck. If this was new they would have fixed that for sure!

-------------
i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus

Posted By: NickN
Date Posted: June-10-2019 at 10:56am
https://www.simforums.com/forums/msfs-is-back_topic61682.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.simforums.com/forums/msfs-is-back_topic61682.html

Its for Xbox only

-------------

Posted By: Samaritano
Date Posted: June-10-2019 at 1:54pm
Apparently PC first and then Xbox.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (Xbox One And Windows 10 PC)
    The next generation of our longest-running franchise, Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming to Windows 10 with Xbox Game Pass in 2020, and coming to Xbox One at a later date. Microsoft Flight Simulator is specifically designed to celebrate flight simulation fans through a focus on the authenticity of flying and visually stunning environments. By revamping our tech, working in close collaboration with the community and pursuing the best partnerships across the industry, we intend to deliver the best-in-class flight simulation experience.

Date Posted: June-10-2019 at 2:22pm
I heard it was going to be Xbox exclusive..   guess they changed their minds and decided to hit the entire market. 

They tried this before with MS Flight. If they don't deliver on the visual marketing hype this time around as well as dump the old render engine I don't see it going very far. If they intend to run the simulation with streaming cloud sat image data there is going to be a lot of bandwidth as well as drive space that will get filled, or filled and dumped on close.

Lets hope they don't pull a fast one and the for PC (Windows 10) part is not "streamed from your Xbox to your PC" LOL  

-------------

Date Posted: June-10-2019 at 3:11pm
I wouldn't put it past them that although the goal is to eventually cover the world, only detailed Hawaii, Seattle, Chicago, New York, Cairo, London and Berlin will be available at first release. 

Depending on the response there might be more..  LOL

-------------

Posted By: cal2177
Date Posted: June-10-2019 at 3:17pm
Get a water-cooled CPU and GPU for your computer.Wink

-------------
John Patterson

Posted By: Fly happy
Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 12:42am
What's different now compared to when Dovetail was developing Flight Sim World and then decided to flush it down toilet?...I can understand more resources (MS), two platforms (XBOX and PC), but will it sell? Has the demand for another Flight Simulator really increased enough?

-------------
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 8:09am
First off, I don't trust Microsoft. They seem to do what they want to and the customer be damned. Secondly, I'm happy with P3D. So I see no reason for me to investigate this any further. Pretty graphics don't make a great simulator. Great physics does. In my humble opinion.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by cal2177 cal2177 wrote:

First off, I don't trust Microsoft. They seem to do what they want to and the customer be damned. Secondly, I'm happy with P3D. So I see no reason for me to investigate this any further. Pretty graphics don't make a great simulator. Great physics does. In my humble opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLTETaWswCY" rel="nofollow -

..ask Steve Jobs about that if he was still around. Bill stole Windows from Steve's Mac OS because Steve was too arrogant and stupid to have it properly patented before handing it to Bill for needed coding changes. It ended up in Japan being installed on OEM systems as this new thing called 'Windows'

I will say this, Flight Simulator was one of Bill Gates personal favorites. The reason it lasted as long as it did and was developed as far as it was under his watch wasn't just money. I knew his father going back nearly 40 years and I knew both Bill and Melinda back in the day too. Bill had a passion and love for flying. Folks say being into Flight Simulator is a labor of love. That was true of the product..  until the bean counters got ahold of it when he left operations.

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 3:16pm
Nick, I remember reading about Bill's "stealing" the forerunner of MS-DOS from the guy who wrote it. I don't remember the details and stealing might be the wrong word, but his antics put a bad taste for MS in my mouth ever since.

I remember when Apple released its point and click OS. We were all fascinated by it and instantly though about switching to the Mac because of it. It beat the stuffing out of typing stuff in at the command prompt. What kept us from doing so was the software we used was not available for the Mac.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 3:24pm
Those were the days

Back then the money was in the basic programming (Paul Allen recognized that) and especially software that Wall Street used to make investment predictions FASTER than humans could.

This was all before anyone knew who these guys were.

It wasn't Windows that made Bill Gates, it was his acquisition of the TCPIP code and hardware that made what was later called "Plug-and-Play"

All of a sudden you did not need a huge team of 100K a year PhD's in EE and CS with witchdoctors chanting spells to keep a major corporation network running. You could toss them and their retirement packages out the door and hire far lower income employees, which eventually became high school kids to do the same job.

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 3:31pm
...started at a motel in Arizona
New Mexico, which is where Paul Allen came in..    my mind is slipping  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

Those were the days

Back then the money was in the basic programming......

In 1983(?) I wrote a program to value Savings and Loan mortgage portfolios using BASIC. It was simple code calculating future value and present value, and took me a couple of hours to write. We used it when someone wanted to buy an S&L and they hired us to do the valuation. The next thing I know, E. F. Hutton called the he-bulls of the accounting firm I worked for and wanted buy the source code. The he-bulls sold it and I got a nice bonus that year. I have been flabbergasted ever since why anyone would pay big bucks for something as simple as that.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 4:04pm
That's what I meant..    back then it was the bean counters that paid through the nose to have financial software at their use.. ie; Lotus 
Remember Black Monday?    That was the computers and the software running faster than any human could keep up and by the time they figured it out the massive damage was done.

We had something like that happen in the late 70's at NORAD..   that was far scarier than any wall street crash  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 4:14pm
That's what made me think of that. The bean counters wanted the software and nobody wanted to investigate how much it was really worth. That was their problem.Wink

Computers were a mystery to the average person back then. They were sold so could keep a household inventory on it, save recipes, and stuff like that. Little did anyone know back then just what they were actually going to be used for and how advanced they would become. I remember when I got enough money to upgrade my 300 baud modem for a 1200 baud. Like night and day. LOL

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 4:24pm
I remember the 1200 baud modem for my Apple IIc costing somewhere around 800 dollars, back then. In todays money, that was over 2000.00 today!! But the 1200 baud was like owning a Lamborghini in dialup speed

Back then when you logged in you were actually going through a SYSOPS.. if you could fool them into letting you through on a phoney login,... then you could have the run of the system until they caught up to you and tossed you out Big smile  it was a cat and mouse game!!

I remember messing with the SYSOPS as NASA a few times and nearly giving him a stroke.. fun days  LOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 5:48pm
Those WERE the good old days. I remember buying 512KB of memory and it cost me $500. The board was about the size of a surf board.Wink

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-11-2019 at 11:10pm
512K????   WOW!    you were running some pretty high level computer equipment for that period

Remember Bill said no one would ever need more than 64K  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL 

-------------

Posted By: robmw
Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 6:16am
Not quite in the same league as you guys but I remember my first PC - Amstrad PC 1640 clone which I upgraded to a 30MB hard drive for an extra £300! If you come from the UK you'll know that Amstrad were legendary back in the late 80's LOL

I even added an 8087 numeric co-processor because I wanted to speed up complex number calcs, I had a thing for programming fractals and the Mandelbrot set in those days.

Funny thing about the drive is that it didn't like getting too hot or cold, something to do with drive head calibration shifting (no, it didn't correct itself very well). So a periodic low level reformat and reinstall from floppies. Ah, those were the days...

PS. I do have some kudos for owning an HP-41C programmable calculator in 1981, apparently all the engineers at Caltech had one grafted on Geek. How I loved RPN input Big smile

Love where this thread is going LOLLOL

-------------
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 8:20am
Those were fun times. The first computer I learned to program (self taught) was an IBM System 3. 8K of RAM. That was huge! No monitor and no keyboard (attached). Just a 96-column card reader. To find out what was wrong with a program, you looked at the number displayed on a tiny screen and thumbed through the 5 bazillion page manual to see what it stood for. I don't remember Bill saying that, because I wasn't listening, but I do remember thinking 8K of RAM and a 5MB hard drive should be plenty of storage. Who needs more than that?

The place I worked at (I was part time during college) bought the System 3 to replace an IBM 402 calculating machine. It was so loud that it had to be put in an enclosed room by itself. Programming was done by removing the control panel and configuring the wires, which I never messed with. It looked like a birds nest with all the wiring.

I didn't have one of those HP calculators but I saw one. A million buttons on it. I used a Litton desk calculator at the place that had the System 3 computer. Only 4 functions and the digits were Nixie tubes. That was space age tech right there.LOL

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 9:33am
I'm still using an 8086 processor to this day. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Avidean Avidean wrote:

I'm still using an 8086 processor to this day. LOL

My hero! LOL

-------------
John Patterson

Posted By: Ted striker
Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 11:53am
I remember wanting to buy an IBM computer based on the 8086 processor when I graduated from college as I was losing access to the university main frames. It would have cost me $10,000. I can't believe I was seriously thinking about spending that kind of cash back then. Instead I convinced the first company I worked for to buy one for the secretaries to use as a word processor. They loved it and I got to use it after hours. The plot thickens after my boss realized the engineering I could perform with it....

Ted

-------------
3770K @4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-C12P, Asus Z77-V Deluxe, Corsair 2133-9-11-10-27-2T, 780 GTX, Win7-64 on 256gb Intel SSD, FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 on 500gb Intel SSD, PC Power & Cooling 750W, Antec P193 case

Posted By: vic_baron
Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 12:01pm
well if you want to get OLD - my first computer was an IMSAI 8080 with 4K RAM - programmed manually in hex using 16 switches on front panel.

Let's see - how about a 5MB Shugart hard drive running off 120VAC weighing in at about 10lbs.

8" floppy drives holding about 197k data

$750 dealer cost for a Miniscribe 20MB HDD

ah, the good old days!

-------------
3770K 4.7G ASUS Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, HAF942 - H100 water W10 Pro

7700K 5.0g Asus X270F 3600 15-15-15 RTX2080ti 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAFX-H100 Water W10 Pro

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 12:16pm
The computer I bought when I opened my office was a PCjr. Remember that thing? It worked for what I did at the time.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by robmw robmw wrote:

PS. I do have some kudos for owning an HP-41C programmable calculator in 1981, apparently all the engineers at Caltech had one grafted on Geek. How I loved RPN input Big smile

I remember my first calculators too!!!!    

I was completely amazed when they came out with a pocket version. I remember thinking technology has come a long way...

https://i.etsystatic.com/5836616/r/il/f70d72/1163419927/il_fullxfull.1163419927_o3d6.jpg" rel="nofollow - https://i.etsystatic.com/5836616/r/il/f70d72/1163419927/il_fullxfull.1163419927_o3d6.jpg

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 12:25pm
This thread has turned into a walk down the memory lane, which is in no means bad. That's what I like about this forum. My first experience with computers goes back a little more than 30 years when my best friend got a Spectrum 48K. I was amazed how fun it was for a 5-10 year old. By the time I had saved up enough the Commodore 64 was readily available so I got one of those (actually a Commodore 128D but was always used as a Commodore 64). With the 128D I started my carrer as a simulator pilot. Gunship was the 'simulator' of choice. From the 128D I moved on to an Amiga 500 with amazing performance and the option to fly the F-18 Hornet doing those amazing carrier landings over and over again like I had seen Maverick do with his F-14.

-------------
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 12:31pm
The firm I worked for bought an Osborne portable computer so we could run that software I mentioned on site. It was as big as a suitcase and weighed a ton. But it worked.

I never used a slide rule. Too lazy to learn how. LOL

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 12:49pm
We had no choice but to use the sliders.. it was either keep up with technology in school and work,.. or fall behind LOL

I do remember when the big desktop calculator appeared and everyone fighting for keyboard time and later the shocking cost of what they called 'pocket' electronic calculators.

It DID live in a pocket, just not your shirt or pants. You wore it on a belt loop and it hung down like a small purse

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by vic_baron vic_baron wrote:

$750 dealer cost for a Miniscribe 20MB HDD

First SSD drives, actually not a SSD or small, but more on the order of volatile RAM storage, depending on storage space $30-50-100,000.00 USD. Battery required, could not drop power and came with a custom designed by IBM mechanical drive as a mirror to restore from. Those were used on the space shuttle.

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 1:00pm

We had no choice but to use the sliders.. it was either keep up with technology in school and work,.. or fall behind LOL

I do remember when the big desktop calculator appeared and everyone fighting for keyboard time and later the shocking cost of what they called 'pocket' electronic calculators.

It DID live in a pocket, just not your shirt or pants. You wore it on a belt loop and it hung down like a small purse

Yep, I still have the case and belt loop along with the calculator, all in mint condition. Couldn't part with it, I really look after my stuff. All in the original box along with the ring bound manuals, I really miss those sometimes.

And I learnt how to use a slide rule (and even a book of log tables I recall) just before they became unnecessary LOL

You know this is more fun than trawling through what MS might or might not be doing with their new offering (can't bring myself to call it anything else at the moment - it will be what it will be)

-------------
i7 4790K @4.4 GHz, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 8GB 2400 DDR3, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, Samsung SSDs 850 Pro + WD HD, Windows 7 Pro 64.

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by robmw robmw wrote:

[QUOTE=NickN]
You know this is more fun than trawling through what MS might or might not be doing with their new offering (can't bring myself to call it anything else at the moment - it will be what it will be)

Yes I know, that's why I thought taking this somewhere else when Cal provided the opportunity might be better. We don't need a 20 page thread dedicated to rumors and arguments, or, the over optimistic "The next version of P3D will be a gamechanger and have a new render engine" complete and total nonsense.

We don't know what MS is going to do and although I still have contacts on campus I have no connection to the inner FS workings anymore and the folks I can get info from are not in the game division so what they know can be limited too.

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2019 at 1:28pm
I can't remember what my first pocket calculator cost. It couldn't have been much because I was in college at the time in the early 70's, struggling on the GI Bill. I do remember it was Texas Instruments calculator with all the FV, PV, Log, stuff all on it. Looking at pictures on the internet, it looked a lot like the TI-59.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 4:06am
I got my HP-41C in 1982 (I think). I remember I paid over £200 which was a lot of money for me back then as that was my first year in university. I even got some extra memory for it and some add-on software packages for stats and differential equations numerical solutions, they came on ROM cards which you plugged in.

I was too lazy to program them all in by hand LOL

I can also remember coding Fortran on pre-printed sheets which got converted to punch cards. It did mean some discipline in getting the code right as it could be a week before I'd know if it even ran. Ouch

Funny thing about all the progress since then is that anything that can be computed can in principle be done on any computer (Turing's Universal Computing Machine) so your out-of-date hardware is still good and you can have all those bells and whistles Big smile. The catch is you might have to wait a few weeks for the next frame to render and you'd need unlimited storage space LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 4:56am
You guys are kids!!

Except Vic Baron ..  he's older than dirt, several years older than I am <sarc>  LOLLOLLOLLOL

I was sliding by (slide rule) in late 1960's  ..  I was a MIT brat and Raytheon was getting their arse kicked for 1202 errors while we smoked 2 packs of cigarettes, drank gosh knows how many cups of coffee and flipping through 12 inches of daisywheel style printout to find....

16/68 up.. 1202

IT CANT THINK, the memory is gone..  HIT THE RESET

Houston, you concur?

.. the communication delay was as stressful as a gamer playing for 1/2 a mill in bitcoin today

LOL    

-------------

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 8:16am
You're probably not much older than me, Nick. I graduated high school in 1969, spent 4 years serving Uncle Sam, then started college in 1973. I chose the accounting route but wished I had chosen the engineer route. But listening to you old timers, I probably chose right after all. Patience isn't my best attribute. Wink

I had to take a semester of FORTRAN in college and it was a subject that was easy for me and I enjoyed it. Programming in RPG on that System 3 and later on the System 34 was a piece of cake, as was BASIC. I eventually learned Visual Basic and that's where it ended as there was enough software out there by then for what I did and it was inexpensive enough to buy. That was probably about the time programming was outsourced to India and so many American programmers got laid off.

Man have times changed!

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 2:28pm
Man have times changed!

...and not so much for the better in many ways. There are days when I would like to go back to the late 50's, early 60's and stay there. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 2:35pm

Man have times changed!

...and not so much for the better in many ways. There are days when I would like to go back to the late 50's, early 60's and stay there. LOL

I'm right there with you. I think about that all the time.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 2:38pm
Next project for Flight1:
Time machine LOL

-------------
Hans

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 3:07pm
I'll buy it. LOL

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 6:35pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AfIvJBcGo&feature=youtu.be&t=7" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AfIvJBcGo&feature=youtu.be&t=7

-------------

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 7:30pm
But will it have flexing wings? LOL

-------------
John Patterson

Posted By: Ronski
Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 9:20pm
Quote There are days when I would like to go back to the late 50's, early 60's and stay there

Well, I too finished high school in 1969, I like to think that, we lived in both worlds.  A great time
before all this technology,  and now a great time using the technology.
That's got to be the best experience.

Ron.   Handshake

Date Posted: June-13-2019 at 11:11pm
MIT...  1st doctorate 1969, I was  sort of a doogie Howser which is why they recruited and paid for the rest over time.

I remember Bob Kane, so.. in reality Vic and I are both as old as dirt.  

But I now see why we all get along so well, we are cut from the same cloth. These kids today have no concept of hard work, taking responsibility and what the term 'fortitude' means. "I'm Entitled" and "Don't touch me" is the new craze.

Still, .. you guys are kids  LOL (just kidding)

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 7:47am

......But I now see why we all get along so well, we are cut from the same cloth. These kids today have no concept of hard work, taking responsibility and what the term 'fortitude' means. "I'm Entitled" and "Don't touch me" is the new craze.

Still, .. you guys are kids  LOL (just kidding)

Amen to that. I have no employees for that very reason. I would operate alone and do all the work that spend my time with lazy, entitled employees. If I could ever find one that's qualified.

Back to Ron's statement: I think older people have a greater appreciation for today's technology because we've been around long enough to know the technology that created it.

-------------
John Patterson

Posted By: Jeff Smith
Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 12:13pm

We had something like that happen in the late 70's at NORAD..   that was far scarier than any wall street crash  LOL

Did the WOPR computer crash at NORAD have anything to do with a guy named Falken and some Seattle kid wanting to play games?

-------------
Keep the Blue Side UP! - Flight1 Sales / Customer Support

Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Jeff Smith Jeff Smith wrote:

Did the WOPR computer crash at NORAD have anything to do with a guy named Falken and some Seattle kid wanting to play games?

I heard that movie was written based on the event but if that was true then what happened was leaked as it was not public knowledge until later. A simulation was loaded without command authorization that overran the system so fast it had every sign of being real and there were other failures after that too which caused a ruckus.

Most folks don't realize that it only takes a few 100 of those ICBMs going off all at once and every human on this planet will be dead within a year. Those things are not the little spit-wads dropped on Japan and tested in the SW deserts. You are better off standing outside at ground zero and being vaporized than trying to run away. "Duck and cover" was to keep kids from panicking, CD (Civil Defense) shelters were a way to falsely give the public a sense of safety or survival as there is no going underground and coming back up in 6 months to year. The Terminator scenario with that many+ going off and humans walking around even 100-200 years later is a joke.

If India and Pakistan ever decided to duke it out with birds, they will take us all with them.

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 1:08pm

Back to Ron's statement: I think older people have a greater appreciation for today's technology because we've been around long enough to know the technology that created it.

Definitely, I'm one of the kids Tongue but I've been around long enough to appreciate the same. Once you've worked with computers at a low level and have any idea of just how much complexity is involved in doing anything useful, you can't fail to be impressed where it's got to.

How it's used is another matter...

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 2:43pm

If India and Pakistan ever decided to duke it out with birds, they will take us all with them.

Yeah, all those movies of real thermonuclear tests you've seen over the years (they're online now as well I believe) give no idea of what would happen if a real target was hit where things can burn. The nuclear winter scenario is entirely plausible and recent research I read suggests it wouldn't even take a big exchange to screw the atmosphere completely for years, something along the lines of India-Pakistan would be enough.

There was a very good drama-documentary called 'Threads' I saw in the early 80's as a teenager when the cold war was getting scary again (the American equivalent - not as good IMO because us Brits are very good at depressing drama when we put our minds to it - was 'The Day After'). Optimistic if anything given what we know now but it certainly put paid to the idea of surviving afterwards.

I currently work at a location which was a major ex Royal Navy base (Chatham) where local residents aren't supposed to grow vegetables in their gardens because of low level residual radiation from whatever was kept there as the MOD aren't specific, that was over 15 years ago. A few years ago the targets of many ex Soviet Union nuclear strikes were made public and unsurprisingly it turns out that a couple of 2-Megaton Russian warheads would have been sent there plus whatever they had in mind for London. At the time I lived roughly equidistant between the two (about 15 miles each way) so at least I wouldn't have had to worry about which way to run Ouch

How did this conversation get so cheery LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 2:58pm
How did this conversation get so cheery LOL

LOL

Blame Jeff!!  Its all Jeff's fault~  Clown

-------------

Posted By: Jeff Smith
Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 3:14pm

-------------
Keep the Blue Side UP! - Flight1 Sales / Customer Support

Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 4:31pm
My first assignment out of tech school was at a SAC base in Washington. That is where I saw my first nuke. In the belly of a B-52 on the alert pad, all safety pins pulled and just waiting for an alert to head to the USSR. If you ever get to watch the movie "A Gathering of Eagles" you'll get an idea of what being assigned to a SAC base was like. I volunteered for Vietnam to get out of that crap. 2 months after I arrived, I was heading to Thailand. I stayed in TAC after that. No more of that SAC nonsense.

Dang it, Jeff! Now you got me doing it.LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 8:23pm

Mr. Patterson, Thank you for your service!  no joke sir.

Could have been worse at that time but we were pretty much past the crazy sneak attack scenarios by the time you were at SAC (you may not have known that at the time). It was more about stupid technical mistakes and psychologically unbalanced individuals getting through the vetting process by then..

https://youtu.be/3edi2Wkr5YI?t=16" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/3edi2Wkr5YI?t=16

Funny thing is, going back to Eisenhower, if he had not authorized the Gary Powers flight that was shot down, 2/3rds of the nonsense that took place over the next decade never would have happened and there would have been a peace deal signed in Paris that year. They may have been flying beeping begin satellites around the earth, but they had nothing in nuclear arsenal by that time and were still working on their systems. We outgunned them 10 to 1 but we did not know it. That is why the Powers flight was pushed through by the same war machine Eisenhower himself warned the public about during his presidential campaign.

The Gary Powers incident caused far more potential nuclear threat damage than it would have ever averted.

But it also lit the fuse that allowed unhindered spending for 'us vs. them' that eventually got us to the moon...  and my education and salary paid for!!  Beer  LOLLOLOL

lets move on.....   LOL

-------------

Posted By: Ronski
Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 10:34pm
Quote How did this conversation get so cheery LOL

Back at the beginning of this thread, Avidean mentioned that Microsoft were going to release a new version of Flight Simulator.Big smile

New kids at MS,  Cool.... impending doom......global disaster  Nuke...

I can see the connection.

Beer

Date Posted: June-14-2019 at 10:59pm

Originally posted by Ronski Ronski wrote:

Quote How did this conversation get so cheery LOL

Back at the beginning of this thread, Avidean mentioned that Microsoft were going to release a new version of Flight Simulator.Big smile

New kids at MS,  Cool.... impending doom......global disaster  Nuke...

I can see the connection.

Beer

Naaa..  It was Jeff Smiths fault. Occam's Razor and don't let him off the hook!! https://youtu.be/kFqgRFal35A?t=40" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/kFqgRFal35A?t=40

…  getting back to other fun    Clown

My Favorite movies..

Dr. Strangelove (OR How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) - Administrations knew back then there was no human surviving even a 'limited' nuclear exchange but the public was always lead to believe otherwise and unfortunately for the uneducated, that is still true today.

The Day The Earth Stood Still (Michael Rennie original) - This could go down, perhaps 200-500 years from now.

Secondhand Lions  -  puts it all together   https://youtu.be/Ck7JAUOVv_4?t=85" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/Ck7JAUOVv_4?t=85

All 3     totally awesome

But I do have to put in a special note for the modern prequel to the 1978 Star Wars A New Hope..

Star Wars: Rouge One

Fortitude gentlemen (and ladies that may be reading, your input is always welcome here) …………      Fortitude.

-------------

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 7:59am
Wow, Nick. Those are the three movies I watch over and over. Were we separated at birth?LOL

And I agree with you about Rogue One. In my humble opinion, it was the best Star Wars tale of them all.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 9:13am
Reading this thread makes me feel like a teenager. Boy you guys are old! And that coming from me who is 52.LOL I am glad to say that I am more like you guys than I am like the people who are younger than me. But I am nothing like as smart as you guys or the people that are younger than me.CryLOL. But knowledge and wisdom are not the same thing.Wink You guys know that but the crowd coming up? When I was a teenager I had a couple of unsuccessful attempts to get into Aer Lingus Pilot training program and one unsuccessful attempts to get into their Aircraft mechanic training program.

Nick is referring to me here: "It was more about stupid technical mistakes and psychologically unbalanced individuals getting through the vetting process by then..

https://youtu.be/3edi2Wkr5YI?t=16" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/3edi2Wkr5YI?t=16 "
Right Nick? Big smile

I did make it into Pratt and Whitney though, who where opening an Engine plant in Ireland. While in training for that job I was offered a very well paid job at the time by Bristol Myer Squib and after some consideration I took it! That was the worst career decision anyone ever made in the history of the worldLOL

Two years after that I quite that job because I hated it with a passion. It was a totally dead end place to be. That was the end of any engineering career I might have had despite being North Dublin Young Engineer of the year in 1986 and having completed 2 years of a Mechanical Engineering Degree. I was never a good scholar. C student at best.

After BMS I ran small businesses with varying degrees of success ever since. I did however Almost completely fulfill my aviation ambitions. Eventually, I got a pilots license. A glider pilots license and an FAI Silver Badge to boot. I would have gotten a Gold by now and eventually perhaps a Diamond but Transport Canada took away my license to fly solo over a heart issue. (Bastards!)

It's Time to watch "Rogue One" again. And I'll add Forbidden Planet to the list of science fiction greats.

-------------

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 10:43am
I did my private pilot training while I was in the USAF with the expectation that I would go to a career pilot school here locally. But this was 1973 and the airlines were flooded with former USAF and Navy pilots so I figured I would probably starve to death. So, that is when I switched and became an accountant. Flying was and always will be in my blood but now it is solely through flight sim. The woman who claims to be my wife forbade me from flying the real thing.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 1:14pm

Nick is referring to me here: "It was more about stupid technical mistakes and psychologically unbalanced individuals getting through the vetting process by then..

https://youtu.be/3edi2Wkr5YI?t=16" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/3edi2Wkr5YI?t=16
Right Nick? Big smile

Actually I was indeed referring to the fact that by the time John arrived at SAC back in those days the threat of nuclear war had moved from the lunacy of; "The 2 biggest kids on the block are going to fight", to, our own internal blunders and technical mistakes on either side.

In fact that is exactly what happened over the following 25-30 years.

The video clip just happened to fit the comment, but yes your recent addition of it in another thread slamming a 5-5.3 clock without testing it is where I got it from cowboy LOL  Big smile

BTW Peter Sellers was originally supposed to play the Major Kong part too but convinced Kubric that 4 parts for one actor was too much and would ruin the picture in the end.

..and yes Forbidden Planet was a great flick too. Ahead of its time in the theme of what could happen with artificial intelligence and a great 50's drive-in sci-fi.  

-------------

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 1:35pm

I did my private pilot training while I was in the USAF with the expectation that I would go to a career pilot school here locally. But this was 1973 and the airlines were flooded with former USAF and Navy pilots so I figured I would probably starve to death. So, that is when I switched and became an accountant. Flying was and always will be in my blood but now it is solely through flight sim. The woman who claims to be my wife forbade me from flying the real thing.

Yea, that was a very saturated market as I recall. Getting into accounting with a later flair for putting it to computer software was a excellent move for that time. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 2:04pm

Wow, Nick. Those are the three movies I watch over and over. Were we separated at birth?LOL

And I agree with you about Rogue One. In my humble opinion, it was the best Star Wars tale of them all.

LOL!!
I have to say that after the cheesy first Disney version of Star Wars premiered  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwe90O7tktM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwe90O7tktM   Rouge One was a surprising and refreshing return to the roots of the genre. I didn't care for the last one at all either. It seemed like more of a exit strategy for the original actors than a good adventure flick.

I don't care how aligned one is with 'the force' you got seconds outside a spacecraft assuming you survived the hull rupture, breathed completely out during the episode, was in a location where the sun didn't fry the innards, and last..  you certainly will never look the same after the exposure nor would your brain work very well.  

Just couldn't go there even for Leia. There was a lot of things Disney can get away with in a sci-fi story like ST, but that just isn't one of them.   LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 7:43pm
I didn't go see the last one nor did I see Solo. I think the franchise has run its course and is out of ideas. Much like the Avengers franchise. If they bring out an episode featuring Jar Jar Binks, I'm outta there. 

I have to admit that I've never seen Forbidden Planet. I will correct that situation this weekend.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 7:50pm
https://archive.org/details/ForbiddenPlanet_201504" rel="nofollow - https://archive.org/details/ForbiddenPlanet_201504

-------------

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 9:09pm
Got it. I'll watch it in the morning.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 9:18pm
You are going to love that one John..  enjoy!!

The sound FX are irritating though   LOL    LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 9:22pm
I watched the first 10 minutes of it and liked what I saw. It looks like an intelligent science fiction movie like "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Gort, Klatu barada nickto.

My brother and I lived on old B&W SiFi movies from the 50's and 60's. Even the cheesy ones. I still watch them.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-15-2019 at 11:52pm
I Love that movie. It wipes the floor with all the current SF offering. No doubt some genius will come up with the idea to do a remake and I'd be willing to beat it would be sh*t. Like I am fond of saying 'Modern art is an admission by artist that art is over". I don't have cable any more. I ditched it nearly 10 years ago. Had Netflix for a while but ditched that too. Now I do google searches like best movies of 1967 or best movies of 1968 for the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.
The later you go the more its 'slim pickens' (pun intended LOL). I then click videos and under tools set duration to Over 20 mins. Typically I find a stream of the movie at at least 480 on a legit site.
Tonight the wife and I watched 'The war of the Roses'. It's a very funny movie and has some dept to it too.

Oh and by the way for SF fans make sure you watch 'silent running'

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2019 at 8:07am
I feel the same way about remakes. One of my favorite movies from when I was a kid was "The Flight of the Phoenix". Great movie and great cast. Then Hollywood decided it needed to remade. I started to watch it and quickly thought, "What the hell were they thinking?" It was garbage. As was "Ghostbusters" the remake. They just don't make movies like they used to. And i agree, Hollywood is all out of ideas and just turn out junk with a gem thrown in from time to time.

We still have cable. I like old westerns and i'll watch nearly any black & white movies, especially detective movies. My bride likes to watch Lifetime and Hallmark movies.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-16-2019 at 9:28am
Well, grandpa learned a new trick this morning. I was playing "Forbidden Planet" on my laptop and saw a button that said to play on my TV. We bought a new smart TV a couple of weeks ago after lightening took out our other one. I switched to Smartcast, pressed that button, and...butter my butt and call me a biscuit.....! It's playing on the TV. Now back to the movie.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-16-2019 at 10:25am
That dang technology sneaks' up on us everyday. Big smile

Other fun movie romps:

The Time Machine (Original)

Logan's Run

Time After Time - another version of the Time Machine and a fun movie

2010: The Year We Make Contact - The ending to 2001 A Space Odyssey Kubrick never really finished. 

Don't get me wrong, 2001 A Space Odyssey was a technological marvel for visual effects for when it was shot, it just didn't ring my and many others bells the way Kubrick ended it. I later read he had no idea how to finish it, the flick was way over running time, way over budget and they were going to pull the plug so he came up with a really weird fast ending and just let people use their imaginations.  

I did however like the follow-up. The explanation as to why Hal (the computer) really malfunctioned was excellent.

..and here is a good late 1960's drive-in special:  Journey To The Far Side of the Sun

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2019 at 11:08am
I just finished Forbidden Planet. An excellent movie and believable. For a 1956 movie, the special effects were remarkable. I'd rank it #2 after The Day The Earth Stood Still.

I liked Time Machine, and Logan's Run. And believe it or not, I enjoy watching Plan 9 From Outer Space. It is so bad it's good. I'll add War of the Worlds and Journey to the Center of the Earth to that list.

For another intelligent scifi movie, check out 5 Million Years To Earth. Great story and pretty good special effects.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-16-2019 at 1:46pm
5 Million Years To Earth

Ah yes the grasshopper Martians frozen in time in their spaceship under a subway..  another great drive-in flick

WOtW.. and Journey Center/Earth     I actually forgot about those!

Try Time after Time for a twist on the HG Wells story. I think that was Mary Steenburgen's 2nd big movie, the first was "Goin South" with Jack Nicholson, ….pretty funny western!!  Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd in that too.

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2019 at 6:19pm
Since I'm older than dirt ( sez Nick) I have to throw in two more classics

The Thing ( original) 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dwbZKd64Y" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dwbZKd64Y

and Forbidden Planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQ9GG6hUDM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQ9GG6hUDM

Both movies can be listened to with out watching and still maintain the effect. A sure sign of a well written story - even tho the effects were great in both, they added to the effect they didn't create the effect.
Too many modern scifi films rely on special effects to tell the story.

Vic

-------------
3770K 4.7G ASUS Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, HAF942 - H100 water W10 Pro

7700K 5.0g Asus X270F 3600 15-15-15 RTX2080ti 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAFX-H100 Water W10 Pro

Date Posted: June-16-2019 at 7:36pm
No kidding, Vic. Modern scifi uses CGI to the extreme and the whole movie looks phony.

Okay, here's one for you all: The Twilight Zone. My favorite episode: To Serve Man.

Not a movie but still great SiFi fare.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 9:54am
I just ran across two more. 

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, and
The Day of the Triffids

The only time I've seen these two was in around 1958 or 1959 or so. I look at them now and they look so hokey but for a 7 or 8 year old kid, they scared the crap out of me and my brother.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 1:26pm

Since I'm older than dirt ( sez Nick) I have to throw in two more classics

The Thing ( original) 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dwbZKd64Y" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dwbZKd64Y

LOL...   I personally resemble that remark!  I knew dirt when it was still a rock.  LOL Thumbs Up

James Arness (Gunsmoke) was the creature in the original flick. Most folks don't know that Peter Graves (Mission Impossible) real name is Peter Arness, he is the brother of James.

The classic version is awesome. The 1980's remake is probably one of the only remakes I liked. I did not care for the prequel to it they made a few yeas back.

If you guys like the cheese drive-in flicks, try: TROG  1970 with Joan Crawford

On the same lines was the 1980's: IceMan

...and of course we have to include: Earth vs. the Flying Saucers    grab the popcorn, Goobers, Raisinets and chilidogs

Edit.. make it Ray Harryhausen triple feature and add in:

The 7 Voyages of Sinbad

20 Million Miles to Earth

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 2:24pm
Ah, this is more like it! A chance to redeem myself from those cheery remarks Smile.

I agree , the 50s and 60s good SF movies were better story-wise than much stuff made now, like others have said modern films are just special effects in search of a decent plot (or any plot at all for that matter). I'd also vote for George Pal's War of The Worlds and I liked the recent remake too, closer to the original H.G.Wells in concept IMO.

A very few of my own more recent likes:

Arrival, a proper intelligent SF film about 1st encounter with other intelligences that see the universe completely different to us. It stuck very closely to the original Ted Chiang story which was a classic and probably why the film was so good.

The two Guardians of The Galaxy films (although I preferred the first), great fun and worked well because that's all they were intended to be. The visuals were stunning.

I've been reading SF for over 40 years and it's my lifelong enthusiasm. Books are almost always better than films although also being a fan of SF/Fantasy art that's one area where the films do actually do justice to what the artists have visualized. It's only recently that the technology has existed to really go to town but the trouble is it's a great excuse to dispense with a plot or decent story.

There are so many novels I'd love to see made in to films, many have been optioned but most don't ever make it to the screen.

Probably my favorite novel then - Vernor Vinge's 'A Fire Upon The Deep', true sense of wonder stuff from the originator of the technological singularity idea (at least he coined the phrase) who was honest enough to write a story true to his own ideas. Just how can you write about the far future if scientific progress has outpaced our ability to even conceive of the ideas, somehow he pulls it off in a convincing way. The prequel was good too and had one of those genuine stand back in awe moments when the true nature of what the story had been about was revealed. I just wish he wrote more...

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 3:07pm
I forgot about the two Guardians of the Galaxy films. I loved both of them. And I agree, the graphics were stunning. I've watched them both many times.

When I was a kid I had my nose stuck in scifi novels and magazines all the time. Back then, space and space travel were two unknowns so scifi books and movies held our fascination. Today, I am amazed at how some of those old movies were able to create spectacular special effects without the use of computers or CGI.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 4:07pm
From the modern movies..  I agree, Guardians was right up there with Rouge One.

I liked how they worked those classic tunes into the story.

I honestly didn't think I was going to like it but the one liners, music and SFX were awesome.

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 4:09pm
I'm looking forward to GotG 3. If it ever comes out.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 4:10pm
Speaking of one-liners.. a-bit nasty but the first Deadpool was freaking hilarious

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 4:28pm
Hmmm - I wonder - is it just coincidental that we are talking about fantasy and science fiction in a thread entitled - Microsoft Flight Simulator 11?

Does seem apropos though............just sayin'

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 4:37pm
I chalk it up to old timers not being able to concentrate too long on one topic.LOL

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 6:30pm

Hmmm - I wonder - is it just coincidental that we are talking about fantasy and science fiction in a thread entitled - Microsoft Flight Simulator 11?

Does seem apropos though............just sayin'

What better way to prepare the masses for FSXI!?

I love a good certified USDA Prime BS story  Beer  No one is better than MS to serve it up too Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 7:57pm
Yeah, I trust MS about as far as I can throw my house.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-17-2019 at 9:06pm
There is really not much to discuss. They said next year, that could be next winter.

FSX was released in November 2006 as I recall

Don't get me wrong, the advertisement looked pretty good but I could still see horribly colored satellite imagery in use, and if it is sat imagery, did they hook up with a system that carries the entire world in all seasons? One of the reasons I don't use photo or sat scenery is because no matter how good one or two locations look, somewhere I always come across a location that looks like crap and ruins the entire experience.

I would choose a in-depth dynamic simulation environment over a static or semi-static one.

Having been down this path before and being on the FS11 design team before the entire project was canned I don't see this going very well if its a closed loop 1 cash register business model, if it isn't then they have some stiff history to overcome and at the same time make it worth while to switch after all these years.

-------------

Date Posted: June-18-2019 at 8:41am
Don't forget about the Star Trek Reboot. Especially the first one. That was very goodBig smile

-------------

Posted By: alainneedle1
Date Posted: June-18-2019 at 2:45pm
If you had to guess would they be using DX9 or 10?...LOL

Nick, trust me this will be a fresh breath of air, using up to date tools and more, the guys who started that project (for some times already) are hard core simmers/pilots...I can't say to much (maybe I don't know to much...Wink) but the switch won't be a problem for a lot of simmers...I'm not talking about the one with so much $$$ invested in their add-ons in one simulator who will see themself having to eat their words because of comments like this one..."If I can't use my add-ons I ain't switching"....let see what happens after the release of this simulator.

And for those who are asking/expecting to have everything out of the box here is your solution...get yourself a REAL pilot license, you'll have everything and more.

Anyway, I'm "gonna" have a beer or twelve my feet in the sand in Pompano Beach waiting for the release day.

You "wanna" have a good read on something....some good clues here..
https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/microsoft-vp-phil-spencer-talks-scarlett-game-pass-cloud-streaming-1203242717/" rel="nofollow - https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/microsoft-vp-phil-spencer-talks-scarlett-game-pass-cloud-streaming-1203242717/

-------------
Window 7 64-bit

Gigabyte UD-9

980x @4.50 24/7

PSU 1300W

2000MHz 7-7-7-20

Noctua NH-D14

Cricial SATA III C300 128GB

OCZ Z-Drive PCI-e 256GB for FSX

Zotac GTX 480 AMP

Date Posted: June-18-2019 at 3:10pm
First adopters will let us know what they think of it. If they are honest.

For me, high def graphics don't add a lot to the experience. I do like realistic (within fs limits) in the pointy end of the plane because that is what I spend most of my flight looking at, whether at FL400 or 1,500 feet. But that's me. Also, as I said before, I just don't trust Microsoft.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-18-2019 at 7:00pm

Don't forget about the Star Trek Reboot. Especially the first one. That was very goodBig smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2ovQtI6w" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2ovQtI6w      Big smile

-------------

Posted By: TheFamilyMan
Date Posted: June-18-2019 at 8:08pm
I can't see why MS is apparently attempting to reboot its MSFS franchise. Amnesia (or insanity) comes to mind.  Impossible to tell yet what is really in store with this new MSFS, other than that supposedly realtime in-game footage in their release video set themselves a 36k ft. bar for our expectations.  For those claiming FSX/P3D is already so entrenched in the market, it reminds me of the existential crisis facing Harley Davidson: almost no one under 50 is buying their bikes.  I think MS is trying to push FS excitement back into the youngin's market with this release, and if it works (big "if" there), let's hope their game plan is to also entice us old farts from running back to our FS2004, FSX, or P3D (XP11?) installs.

-------------
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor

Date Posted: June-18-2019 at 8:55pm
Oh, they'll sell quite a few copies to kids who love the gee whizz factor. But even they will tire of it being a one trick pony. My prediction.

Talking about robots, I got a kick out of K-2SO in Star Wars: Rogue One. It reminded me of Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-18-2019 at 11:06pm
Was the best droid they ever came up with other than R2... https://youtu.be/-irr1ml2pkc?t=11" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/-irr1ml2pkc?t=11

I liked the Donnie Yen (Ip Man) "Chirrut" character too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTy3f3ur1j8" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTy3f3ur1j8

Honestly I don't think there was a single character in that movie I didn't find interesting or entertaining.

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2019 at 5:59am
Originally posted by alainneedle1 alainneedle1 wrote:

If you had to guess would they be using DX9 or 10?...LOL

Nick, trust me this will be a fresh breath of air,
Anyway, I'm "gonna" have a beer or twelve my feet in the sand in Pompano Beach waiting for the release day.

You "wanna" have a good read on something....some good clues here..
https://variety.com/2019/gaming/features/microsoft-vp-phil-spencer-talks-scarlett-game-pass-cloud-streaming-1203242717/" rel="nofollow -

I don’t care if it is made by ex defunct Skunkworks and CIA pilots with help from Facebook servers located near the Arctic for cooling purposes (those servers are real by the way) Until it can be properly evaluated by simmers who have been in this game for 20 years,.. and not the morons some years back who believed after installing a addon that: "I CAN SEE MY HOUSE" (which wasn't their house) and keep feeding into that nonsense every FS iteration like heroine addicts following and continuing to pay, Der leader LOLBig smileWink

…. It is still marketing, vaporware and USDA Prime BS.

REAL:Beer  Enjoy the Beach. I have had some very high level connection discussions over the years on topics that would curl your spine, and that turned out to be nothing more than hot air. Keep the toes in the sand!   There is a really great Tiki bar on the beach south of Atlantic Ave..  Its right behind the Wyndham Royal Vista in Pompano, SE 12th street you will find parking meters at the end of the alley at the beach. Get there early.. stay late.. get lucky!

You can't miss there Wink 

We will all figure it out when it comes to market, between now and then lets keep talking about fun stuff that is real.

Like great fantasy and sci-fi movies, books, stories, soundtracks along with great chilidogs and drive-in classic memories!

Not talking about: "Bored of the Rings" either...   that's like FSX up through P3Dv4

Speaking of soundtracks,...  one of the best ever made was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4c1BIhq7M" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4c1BIhq7M

seeing that re-recorded live in the same location (Spain) it was originally recorded over 10 years later,..   that was awesome!  

It was so well reproduced that a spell back I mistook that video as the original 1993 recording production (film released 1994) …  Embarrassed  I think Vic Baron remembers my older than dirt memory fopaux!  

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2019 at 11:40am
LOL. On the rare occasions when you err, I usually encase it in plastic and preserve it for posterity!

The Stargate Suite was a breathtaking piece of music.

V

-------------

Posted By: alainneedle1
Date Posted: June-19-2019 at 11:57am
Here is what I'm getting at...what do I know...look at what direction Microsoft is taking the way games will be played and I mean all the games, some of the big clues..

"The growing success of Game Pass, a subscription service that delivers access to a growing library of titles for a set monthly fee, is one of those steps." 

That experience will travel with you with Project xCloud, but not to try to exclude you from going to buy a console or going to play on your PC. I’m going to let you decide what’s best for you.”

Microsoft simulator won't be an exeption, it will not be like before, either you play by what Microsoft put in place or you don't, virtual reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYtIdUcYqY" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYtIdUcYqY

-------------
Window 7 64-bit

Gigabyte UD-9

980x @4.50 24/7

PSU 1300W

2000MHz 7-7-7-20

Noctua NH-D14

Cricial SATA III C300 128GB

OCZ Z-Drive PCI-e 256GB for FSX

Zotac GTX 480 AMP

Date Posted: June-19-2019 at 11:57am
Speaking of great soundtracks, and that one is a great one, anything by Basil Poledouris. He wrote some fantastic stuff. http://youtu.be/ZeZL2R9jDJM" rel="nofollow - Conan the Barbarian and Quigley Down Under, just to name two. His music could capture the mood and theme of a movie perfectly.

And while we're on scifi books, anybody read Tom Swift when they were kids?

-------------
John Patterson

Date Posted: June-19-2019 at 12:00pm

I liked how they worked those classic tunes into the story.

I honestly didn't think I was going to like it but the one liners, music and SFX were awesome.

Indeed, that seems to be a trick in a lot of movies nowadays, definitely appealing to an audience of a certain age Wink That mix tape was a very special bit of tech to have lasted that long and who can't like Rocket LOL

I'm actually a bit of a fan of a lot of the MCU stuff, I read Marvel comics like my life depended on it in the 70's, even spent most of my paper-round money on the American full color comics which cost an arm and a leg here in the UK (when I could get them at all). I've never really lost my enthusiasm for the super hero thing and I think they get the casting spot on with most of the characters. It will be interesting to see where they take it now they have the rights to all the characters again although without Stan Lee around I'm not certain it will be as good.

Talking of old movies how about Solyent Green and Silent Running? And no one has mentioned Blade Runner!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net