Print Page | Close Window

Flight Planning Assistance

Printed From: SimForums.com
Category: Flight One Partner Forums
Forum Name: Opus Software
Forum Description: Support for OpusFSX for Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D.
URL: https://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=44096
Printed Date: September-22-2023 at 2:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Flight Planning Assistance
Posted By: Opus Software
Subject: Flight Planning Assistance
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 3:28am
Hi All
Seeing as we are just about to start a new phase of beta development involving improving the GRIB forecast data and procedures for one thing. I though it was time to get some ideas from you high flyers and long haulers, and low level guys as well I suppose (and galls, don't want Cheryl to think she is all alone in this), regarding what flight planning assistance you would want to see added to OpusFSX. Please remember we do not necessarily want to re-invent the wheel so to speak, there are some very good planners out there and some more soon to be released.

But if there are some basic facilities you would like to see added to assist your flying then please express your wishes here.

Best Regards
Stephen (and Cheryl) Smile

Replies:
Posted By: GAJ52
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 4:12am
One I think is a must, is fairly accurate high level 'average' winds for a given route, so we can enter this figure in the FMC for aircraft like the PMDG 737NGX and upcoming B777.

Glen

Posted By: Hangar34
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 4:45am
Is there any way, based on wind direction at a destination airport, to provide an entry in the destination weather report that states the current runway in use?

I know this can be worked out manually using an airfield layout chart and knowing the wind direction, but it would go some way to simulating a conversation on approach with basic ground to air comms at the smaller aerodromes.

Posted By: borgfan
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 7:52am
For starts,
Given a FSX flight plan:
- Average wind direction and speed for route
- average wind component for route
- average temperature for route

additionally would be be nice to
- provide wind details and temperature for each waypoint at intervals of 2000' or so ( flight plans dont contain altitudes for each waypoint I think?)
- for destination airport, give wind component to help select appropriate runway

Thanks

Posted By: lpf20011
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 9:37am
Felt the need to contribute here.

I used to use F.O.C 2003 for my planning (currently waiting for pfpx release) and that would provide me with forecast winds for my route and each waypoint.

As a mainly long haul flyer I wouldn't be looking to use opus in any planning capacity. All I require out of it is that it displays reasonably accurate weather conditions outside of my aircraft wherever I am.

Cheers

Tim

Posted By: jordanal
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 9:48am
Starting a PMDG NGX flight at departure gate (knowing my initial cruise ALT), I need:
FL average wind direction, speed, and aloft temp for the route
- it would be nice to somehow lookup the same aloft info for each waypout in FP (makes FMC more accurrate before departure as well.
Somewhere well before the planned Top of Descent (TOD), i need Forecast Descent info (dir / spd) for ALT's 6K, 9k, 12k, 18k, 24k, 30k, 34k, ~40k, all based on current arrival aloft info.  Also need the current inHg at 18K if available.  The earlier this info provided in the flight, the better.

-------------
Al Jordan

FSX Rig: i7 2600k, 4.8GHz / Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Mushkin DDR3-1600 8GB / EVGA GTX 570 GPU / TX850 PSU / Graphite 600T Case

Posted By: Fede
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 10:11am
Same as Borgfan says, but I'd like to get the METAR's and possibily the TAF's for the origin destination and alternate(s). Wind at destination is no big deal at the start of a flight, it might change along the route, especially if you're a long hauler, but a TAF on the other hand is very helpful.

Cheers
Fede

Posted By: SkipperMac
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Hangar34 Hangar34 wrote:

Is there any way, based on wind direction at a destination airport, to provide an entry in the destination weather report that states the current runway in use?

I know this can be worked out manually using an airfield layout chart and knowing the wind direction, but it would go some way to simulating a conversation on approach with basic ground to air comms at the smaller aerodromes.

... except that at the smaller aerodromes (love that "old fashioned" term) there may not be anyone on the ground to simulate a conversation with...

Therefore I would actually be against this idea, much preferring to overfly and try to see the windsocks ... As real as it gets with no cheating? ;-)

PS: I often find myself laughing at you long haul guys and gals and your demands for total knowledge of the weather enroute. Talk about control freaks! lol. On the other side of things, as a low and slow bod, I love nothing better than a change in the hoped-for weather that makes me deviate from my "plan" and find a way past that horrible dark monster of low cloud. Horses for courses I guess. But it means I don't want to see Opus adding too many aids - stick with inputting the most accurate real weather which like real weather is often frustratingly unpredictable.

-------------
SkipperMac aka Norman
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD

Posted By: Koyaan
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 11:09am
A key or combo to have the OPUS weather forecast pop up in FSX (so without having to go in the menu) Smile

Posted By: JRBarrett
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by jordanal jordanal wrote:

Starting a PMDG NGX flight at departure gate (knowing my initial cruise ALT), I need:
FL average wind direction, speed, and aloft temp for the route
- it would be nice to somehow lookup the same aloft info for each waypout in FP (makes FMC more accurrate before departure as well.
Somewhere well before the planned Top of Descent (TOD), i need Forecast Descentáinfo (dir / spd) for ALT's 6K, 9k, 12k, 18k, 24k, 30k, 34k, ~40k, all based on current arrival aloft info.á Also need the current inHg at 18K if available.á The earlier this info provided in the flight, the better.

Apart from Opus itself, if you have either an Android or Iphone smartphone, I can heartily recommend the Foreflight app for accurate weather reports worldwide. The phone app is completely free for either platform. Though it is optimized for use in the U.S., you can enter the airport identifier for ANY airport, and get the current METAR, TAF and (most importantly) model forecast upper winds for that location.

Now that Opus has r/w upper wind support, I can use Foreflight to quickly determine the upper winds near my destination for filling out the descent forecast pages in the NGX or other high-end add-ons that support that function.

Jim Barrett

Posted By: mcubine
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 3:22pm
I would like to be able to import a flightplan into LWE in the .pln format and have a report displayed that could be printed and the report would show the wind direction, wind speed, and SAT for for each waypoint of the plan at altitudes of 6000, 18000, FL240, FL300, FL340. FL360, and FL380. The most waypoints I have had in a plan was 91 from Bangkok to Helsinki.

Michael Cubine

-------------
Michael Cubine, I7-2700K 4.6 GHz, 8 GB G.Skill RipJaws 1866MHz, GTX 580X 3072MB, ASRock Z68G.ProfessionalGen3 MOB, ASUS 27"LED, Windows7 64bit

Posted By: Alec246
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 6:47pm
Just don't forget what is so great about Opus, instant weather, simple Menus, Report Window inside FS. No one wants to deal with that stuff that other developers do that loads outside the sim, but when it connects to it to place your plane in the map, it take ages to update, man, that thing is a nightmare!! Let the Flight Planning Serious stuff to PFPX, it's going to be amazing, what we need is Wind Aloft, Temperature, Metar of Destination and Alternate, every other information I think is going to go outside the scope of Opus.

Plus, Average Wind would require you to accept users own Routes, and that would mean a database for the Navaids, I like to think Opus is just like real Weather, it's there, it doesn't tell you how things are going to be, for that you check the METAR, the Wind Charts, the SIGWX.

My opinion.

Posted By: JRBarrett
Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Alec246 Alec246 wrote:

Just don't forget what is so great about Opus, instant weather, simple Menus, Report Window inside FS. No one wants to deal with that stuff that other developers do that loads outside the sim, but when it connects to it to place your plane in the map, it take ages to update, man, that thing is a nightmare!! Let the Flight Planning Serious stuff to PFPX, it's going to be amazing, what we need is Wind Aloft, Temperature, Metar of Destination and Alternate, every other information I think is going to go outside the scope of Opus.

áPlus, Average Wind would require you to accept users own Routes, and that would mean a database for the Navaids, I like to think Opus is just like real Weather, it's there, it doesn't tell you how things are going to be, for that you check the METAR, the Wind Charts, the SIGWX.

My opinion.

I agree, I think that the "other" weather engine has grown into a monster in its attempt to be "all things to all people". Weather generation, flight planning, pireps, cloud graphics etc. all in one package.... too much bloat and performance hit for my taste. Would rather have a lean and mean app like Opus that focuses on weather injection.

For years I used FOC to do my preflight planning. With current nav data and winds aloft import, plus very accurate aircraft performance tables, it was miles ahead of every other planner in its accuracy. Unfortunately, the nav data updates came to an end over three years ago, and the developers seem to have dropped completely out of sight, so it is now useless.

But PFPX looks like it is getting VERY close to release, and looks to be a game changer. It will make the perfect companion to Opus.

Given a departure and destination airport, it shouldn't be too hard for Stephen to use the downloaded GRIB winds to come up,with an enroute average speed and direction based on the great circle path between aiports, but for my own taste, I don't know if doing complete flightplan imports is really necessary.

Posted By: ukflight
Date Posted: December-03-2012 at 12:51am
I also used FOC and had to pass on it when airac updates stopped. I find it amazing that Aerosoft is still selling it and is quite blasÚ about there being no updates.

As for Opus I would prefer to see, as others have intimated, it remain basically what it started out to be  which is a top-notch weather suite. I mainly use FSC for planning now and will wait to see what sort of reception PFPX gets (and the cost of it). As a pensioner I am very choosy as to who shares my small pot of gold.

-------------

Posted By: acko52
Date Posted: December-03-2012 at 10:26pm
"K"I"S"Stephen"
jeff

-------------
new to fsx & computers have flown a few a/craft but not a pilot Intel I7 2670QM (2.2/3.1 GHZ 1333 MHZ FSB 6MB L3 cache) HM65 chipset W7 hp 64 bit *GB mem DDR 3 ( 4GB + 4GB ) 1333 MHZ Nvidia ge 540m 2G

Posted By: simbio
Date Posted: December-04-2012 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Opus Software Opus Software wrote:

Hi All
Please remember we do not necessarily want to re-invent the wheel so to speak, there are some very good planners out there and some more soon to be released.
 Best Regards
Stephen (and Cheryl) Smile

Maybe if you can tell as what is your goal on future development for GRIB would be a starting point.
As you said there are many flight planner and they are really great in this aspect like EFB from Aivlasoft or Fskeeper just to mention some and the upcoming PPFX.
So first, I think you should contact those developer to let those software communicate with Opusfsx so they can read all GRIB data.
Then I really would like a search method for aloft/temp for a particular waypoint but at the given altitude so the average is done by Opusfsx.
A decoded metar (hpa+inHg) for requested airports of course updated at current time.
I wold also develop an app for tablet or smartphone that relay with opusfsx for such information maybe is too early but i think there a lot of people that have those device.
Thank' for listen

Posted By: electric man
Date Posted: December-10-2012 at 9:42am
I use FSbuild for flight planning so it would be nice if Opus could work together with that or if a possibility would exist to download the winds aloft and metar data from departure airport before FSX is opent so we could use the data to fill in the flightplan from FS build.

Date Posted: December-10-2012 at 10:05am
Thanks for all the ideas so far, we will look into it in more depth in the new year.

Regards
Cheryl

Posted By: ianbeggs
Date Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Koyaan Koyaan wrote:

A key or combo to have the OPUS weather forecast pop up in FSX (so without having to go in the menu) Smile

Took the words outta my mouth :)

Date Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:45am
That is definitely going to happen Thumbs Up

We have that on the A List (option to manually assign a button or key to all the various Opus functions) and will try to squeeze it in before xmas.

Cheers Guys
Stephen

Posted By: aua668
Date Posted: January-12-2013 at 5:40am
Hi,

Just provide your wind aloft data to FSBuild. That's enough for me.

Rgds
Reinhard

Date Posted: January-12-2013 at 5:53am
A weather radar moving map displaying fronts and turbulence areas around your flightplan would be nice since the iFly didn't implement that on there B737 series due to frame rate killing.
Herman

Date Posted: January-12-2013 at 7:11am
Originally posted by electric man electric man wrote:

A weather radar moving map displaying fronts and turbulence areas around your flightplan would be nice since the iFly didn't implement that on there B737 series due to frame rate killing.
Herman

Sorry, can't agree with this suggestion. Lets keep the OpusFSX interface as simple and undemanding (on the PC) as possible. Since we're getting real weather, there are plenty of other resources to illustrate it for us without spoiling the efficiency of Opus.
Just my tuppence worth...

-------------
SkipperMac aka Norman
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD

Date Posted: January-12-2013 at 8:43am
If we did something like that it would be separate program running on a networked PC or laptop.

Stephen

Date Posted: January-12-2013 at 11:01am
Understood Stephen Thumbs Up

-------------
SkipperMac aka Norman

Posted By: soundrats
Date Posted: March-19-2013 at 11:20am
Hello,
I do not feally ubserstand what GRIB forecast means and what really happens. I read the manuals but I do not came closer to knwledge.
Regards Ton

Posted By: RCFlyer51
Date Posted: March-19-2013 at 11:34am

Whatever you do, please, ensure the program continues to provide the high quality r/w weather with the same level of impact to the sim pc.  Opus is outstanding as a weather engine and I would greatly appreicate it remaining true to that purpose.

Regards,

Date Posted: March-19-2013 at 11:38am
The GRIB forecast data is produced by NOAA and provides a global forecast of atmospheric conditions such as wind speeds, directions, and atmospheric temperatures at various altitudes along with the tropopause. It also provides a forecast of the tropopause height. The GRIB data covers the entire globe at 1 degree latitude and 1 degree longitude precision. Each forecast cycle contains data forecasted for the next 360 hours.

This data is used by the weather engine to determine all the lower and upper atmospheric conditions. The LWE uses the forecasted data to create ambient wind and temperature targets for all different altitudes from FL040 up to FL450, and even a temperature forecast for FL540.

With Automatic Settings, the LWE will use GRIB data any time you specify an intended Cruise Altitude of 6000 feet or above. The data provides realistic real world atmospheric conditions for you within the simulator.

Stephen

Date Posted: March-25-2013 at 6:12pm
Stephen,
if I select the GRIB Weather, then I should see this in the report for the upper and lower level. I sholud see 2 reports there - the actual and the GRIB, isn┤t it like this. But I see only the actual the space behind GRIB is empty although I enabled GRIB.
VERS 2.94.4 FSX
Cheers Tom

Date Posted: March-26-2013 at 4:21am
You will only see the two sets of values (actual and adjusted) in the Upper Atmosphere Report when you have the Sim Friendly GRIB Forecast Data option set. This will be set automatically if you use the Adjust Settings Automatically, and Adjust Sim Friendly options ticked and specify a cruise altitude of at least 6000 feet.

Stephen

Date Posted: March-26-2013 at 5:09am

You will only see the two sets of values (actual and adjusted) in the Upper Atmosphere Report when you have the Sim Friendly GRIB Forecast Data option set. This will be set automatically if you use the Adjust Settings Automatically, and Adjust Sim Friendly options ticked and specify a cruise altitude of at least 6000 feet.

Stephen

Thnx stephen - ok I understand I see GRIB only in UPPER - with Sim Friendly GRIB - Cruise above 6000.
My read back :-)
Tom

Date Posted: March-26-2013 at 5:22am
If you have the Sim Friendly option enabled then you will see two sets of values in the Upper report. The actual raw GRIB forecast data and the adjusted 'sim friendly' data. The two sets of values will be equal at your specified cruise altitude.

You can examine the full report in the OpusWeatherReport.txt file.

Stephen

Posted By: twharrell
Date Posted: April-21-2013 at 2:43pm
I would love, not so much as a flight planning utility, but rather a weather center where I can display my route and then gather winds aloft, turbulence, sigwx, icing, METARS/TAFs, etc in visual format along my route. If there was any way to print that information, that would be a bonus. Think of an Opus Pilot Weather Center feature.

Todd

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 4:06am
Current Flight Planning Assistance Beta Development ...

The first phase of flight planning assistance has been included. Users may enter or paste their flight plan, or a list of ICAO codes into the edit box provided at the top of the Weather dialog.

In this phase of development, all recognised met station ICAO codes will be extracted from the user's flight plan and appended where necessary to the LWE's download list.

A new weather report window option to display the 'Flight Plan En Route Weather Reports' has been added to the reports Main Menu. This option will list all identified met stations extracted from the flight plan. Select the required station from the list to display the current reported weather at that site.

If you enter a flight plan then the last station listed in the plan will automatically be assigned as your Destination provided you haven't already specified your Destination in the Weather dialog. Similarly when the flight plan cruise altitude list is implemented, the highest altitude listed will be assigned as your Max Cruise Altitude provided you have already specified it.

Navigraph Data ...

I am presently preparing the software for the second phase which will recognise the user's waypoints and navigation aids (VORs etc.) within the flight plan, determine the nearest met station to those locations, and add those METARs to the download list and Flight Plan Weather Reports.

I would like to know if people are using the Navigraph data on their systems and have the <FSX>\Navigraph\Navdata folder installed on their system. If so, then I can extract the very latest nav cycle navaid and waypoint data from these files for you. I may choose to use this licensed data on your system so you may need it in order to locate your nav points.

Please let me know if you intend using the FP assistant feature and have the above Navigraph data installed in your FSX/P3D folder.

Regards
Stephen

Posted By: peebee
Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 5:00am
Hi Stephen, yes to both questions,
Phil

-------------

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 6:12am
Sounds good, yes again to both questions.
Gerard

Posted By: jordanal
Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 6:25am
Hi Stephen,
Yes to both questions for me, too.  :)

-------------
Al Jordan

FSX Rig: i7 2600k, 4.8GHz / Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Mushkin DDR3-1600 8GB / EVGA GTX 570 GPU / TX850 PSU / Graphite 600T Case

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 7:01am
Excellent. I will start preparing phase two then which will extract your waypoints and navaid points, building a METAR list for them. These METARs will then be downloaded and appear in the Flight Plan En Route Weather Report. Phase three will probably add the text report file with details of all relevent winds and temps aloft.

Stephen

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 7:10am
Stephen,

Great news. I know this still beta, but any way to include the option of using Aerosoft Navdata Pro instead of Navigraph? Doesn't really affect me personally but I know there are many who are not using Navigraph.

Todd

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 7:36am
I don't see why not. I only have Navigraph at the moment but provided the Nav aid and waypoint definition files are accessible and in a form that can be deciphered then the software could access them as a user option.

I will most likely extract the data and store it in a DAT for for the user, then check for updates to the nav data files each time the Opus server program runs and the user clicks on the Flight Plan button.

The Flight Plan Assistant will be an ongoing development anyway and I will add whatever is needed or deemed useful to people.

Stephen

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 8:28am
I only have navdata for the iFly 737 and Wilco Airbus series, will it work for that too?
( they work with the standard AIRAC cycles)
rgrds Herman

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 8:33am
What form is that data in, have you looked at the files?

Stephen

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 8:39am
For the iFly it seems like it comes from Navigraph and that's there in .txt and also in a funny way with extensions like .star, .sids and .app, probably just reffering to the nav aids and approaches.
The Wilco Airbusses use .mdb wich is a Microsoft access file.
hope this helps.

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 1:17pm
Thanks for the info.

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 1:22pm
Hi Herman, the ifly 737 does use navigraph, there's a purpose made navigraph file for it. The Wilco airbus' I'm pretty certain use it too I'm pretty certain it uses the Wilco/Feelthere 737/777, Legacy, navigraph file.
There's one of them I think it's the aerosoft AirbusX not extended that uses the Gen. File from navdata that is for the F1 Cheyenne/Fokker/Mustang/Super80 Pro/C182T.
I'll stand to be corrected of course.
Phil

-------------

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 3:02pm
Aerosoft Navdata is the same format as Navigraph. Competing companies doing the same thing. I just wanted to point out that some get their nav updates from Aerosoft. None wants to purchase two different navdata subscriptions if they don't have to.

Todd

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 3:19pm
We will give options to identify the source of Nav data so only one subscription will be required.

Stephen

Date Posted: May-07-2013 at 4:54pm
Excellent, Stephen. Can Opus get any better? Your service is spoiling us.

Todd

Date Posted: May-08-2013 at 2:08am
Since I don't have the Aerosoft Navdata, can you confirm the following,

Do you have Navaids.txt and Waypoints.txt files in the folder as you do in the Navigraph\Navdata folder?

If so does the entry format match the following Navigraph content format?

For example,

Navaids.txt
1B,SABLE ISLAND,277.000,0,0,195,43.930556,-60.022806,0,CY,0

Waypoints.txt
BURGU,-32.969722,118.655556,YM

If the filename and file formats match I will simply be able to allow you to identify your Navdata folder with a Browse button. If they are different then I will have to provide more options to identify the filename and format conventions.

Stephen Smile

Date Posted: May-08-2013 at 3:16am
Is there a possibility to create an import button for .pln and other extension flightplans, it would be easier then to open the flightplan with notepad and copy it all.
Herman

Date Posted: May-08-2013 at 3:20am
In the future, yes. But for now just paste it in.

Stephen

Date Posted: May-08-2013 at 3:31am
Thanks for the suggestion Herman. We will consider that enhancement for the future, we will get a basic version released first.

Cheryl

Date Posted: May-09-2013 at 12:51am
Since I don't have the Aerosoft Navdata, can you confirm the following,

Do you have Navaids.txt and Waypoints.txt files in the folder as you do in the Navigraph\Navdata folder?

If so does the entry format match the following Navigraph content format?

For example,

Navaids.txt
1B,SABLE ISLAND,277.000,0,0,195,43.930556,-60.022806,0,CY,0

Waypoints.txt
BURGU,-32.969722,118.655556,YM

If the filename and file formats match I will simply be able to allow you to identify your Navdata folder with a Browse button. If they are different then I will have to provide more options to identify the filename and format conventions.

Stephen Smile

Date Posted: May-09-2013 at 5:42am
Stephen,

Navaids.txt and Waypoints.txt look as per your post, at least as far as the Aerosoft Navdatapro provided with their Airbus is concerned.  I use Navigraph normally, so have only this one example of Navdatapro to compare.

Gerard

Date Posted: May-09-2013 at 5:53am
Many thanks, I am making good progress with the Navigraph Navdata with both Navais and Waypoints extracted for use in OpusFSX. The Navigraph data is stored in the <FSX>\Navigraph\Navdata folder. Is there a known folder for the Aerosoft Navdatapro files?

Stephen

Posted By: ZK-SUH
Date Posted: May-09-2013 at 6:46am
Here you are Stephen, this is the AS depository. From there they are installed to respective addons.

C:\Aerosoft\NavDataPro\downloads\NavDataProCycle<<<<<<<<downloaded zip files are placed here. eg PMDG NGX

-------------
Julian
Opus, GEX, UTX, FEX GTN750 Super Kingair P3D Supporter

Date Posted: May-09-2013 at 7:12am
Many thanks.

Stephen

Date Posted: May-10-2013 at 8:52am
We are now testing the phase two flight planning assistant software, probably less than one more week of testing which we will complete after our holiday (flying trip to N.Italy, Vicenza and Venice).

Stephen

Date Posted: May-11-2013 at 12:52pm
Report on Phase Two ...

Phase two is in the final stage of testing. In this phase the LWE decodes all your Navdata in the standard Navigraph format for all navaids and navigation waypoints.

This data is then used to identify the listed points within your specified flight plan. The LWE extracts all known met stations, other non-metar ICAO station codes, all Nav aids, all waypoints, and any lat/lon fixes. It also identifies the nearest three met stations at each of the non met station points and appends all the identified met stations to the flight plan en route list. These met stations are appended to the download list and the current weather can be accessed from within the Opus Flight Plan En Route Weather report windows.

The current software decodes the standard Navigraph navaids and waypoint text files. Before posting the beta I will add a browse option to specify an alternate path where the standard navaids.txt and waypoints.txt files can be located. The decoding of these files only needs to be performed once, and only takes a second or two, but the LWE does check for new cycle updates by reading the text file's last modified date.

I will ask users to post or email example flight plans for me to test with when Cheryl and I return off our flying trip. At present I have tried to determine the specific navaid or waypoint by assuming a minimum distance between departure and destination. All flight plans must start and end with the departure and destination ICAO codes. If the specified Destination in the Weather dialog is blank I also automatically set it to the destination indicated in the flight plan.

Of course there will be many upgrades and enhancements to this software, and no doubt a few fixes and extensions to the flight plan format and decoding. The next phase will introduce a flight plan report text file listing all weather and all relevant upper winds and temperatures.

Of course during this development, and ongoing development, I will try to add any features requested by users. I will consider all suggestions over report formats, additional in flight information, etc.

Stephen

Posted By: Airbumps
Date Posted: May-16-2013 at 3:53am
Hi Stephen,

Just wanted to say good work with all of this.

I purchased Opus some time ago but put it on the shelf in favor of AS2012 for its ability to load a flight plan and calculate wind details at each flight plan way point & altitude. It seems having just downloaded the 3.02.1 Beta that your getting closer to adding this feature yourself and that will be more than enough to bring me back to your side of the fence.

I don't presume to know how you plan on implementing the GUI for the flight planning. Certainly at the moment with the BETA its simply case of manually typing in the way points (or at the moment ICAO airports).

What I was wondering is if there are any plans to have Opus be able to import an FSX flight plan which would thus have the way points & altitudes included? Would certinaly save a lot of time, particular for those long flights.

Cheers,
AB

Date Posted: May-16-2013 at 4:00am
Yes, that is the plan. The first few phases will be concerned with getting the basic procedures working and generating the flight plan report then after that we will look at doing everything we can to make it easier for the user to specify the flight plan. Looking further into the future we will incorporate all this with added features in the client side Live Weather Assistant to provide you with all the data you need both before and during the flight. We will be posting phase two shortly after we return from our flying trip.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-03-2013 at 6:01am
Navigraph Navdata ...

After an excellent suggestion from Hangar34 we have been in contact with Navigraph who have kindly agreed to supply us with a set of Navdata files which we can include with our installation software. These files can then be used when no Navigraph Navdata files are found already installed. In such circumstances I will most likely automatically install these into the user's <SIM>Navigraph\Navdata folder. Many thanks for the excellent idea Hangar34 and many thanks to Magnus at Navigraph for their cooperation and assistance in this matter.

Regards
Stephen

Date Posted: June-03-2013 at 10:04am
Hi Stephen, getting better by the minute. Just to clarify the path you have given <SIM>Navigraph\Navdata...... Is the <SIM> pointing to FSX/P3D or to C:/opus/ ?? Secondly will the Navigraph files be updated with a monthly airac as the other navigraph modules such as
the PMDG, iFly, Capt Sim, ect, are? Or will we just carry on using the same path as now if you already have Navigraph? And using the other modules updated airacs?
Phil

-------------

Date Posted: June-03-2013 at 10:08am
The <SIM> is meant to identify the installation folder of your FSX or P3D.

These free files are provided courtesy of Navigraph, they will be several cycles behind the current AIRAC cycle. To receive the latest AIRAC cycle data you will have to subscribe to Navigraph. These files are only for users who do not have any Nav data on their systems and hence have not subscribed to keep the data up to date.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-03-2013 at 10:10am
Thanks Stephen, that's cleared it up for me. I am in the former category.
Phil

-------------

Date Posted: June-03-2013 at 10:18am
Hangar34 came up with the good idea of getting some Nav data for those who want to make use of the flight planning assistant and en route weather reports, but do not fly the big jets and hence do not have any Navigraph, or similar, data on their systems. So it allows VFR flyers to enter flight plans using nav aids for their route and then make use of the en route weather reports.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-03-2013 at 3:03pm
Yes that was good thinking, nice one Hanger34.
Phil

-------------

Posted By: Hangar34
Date Posted: June-03-2013 at 3:14pm
Lol, yes occasionally my brain seems to work Tongue

Date Posted: June-08-2013 at 5:05am
In the latest betas (the current one is version 3.04.2) after updating the weather with a flight plan specified the LWE generates a dummy OpusFlightReport.txt file in the OpusFSX\Themes folder. I have started to lay out a typical format for the file. If you have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to voice them here or email us. All suggestions are welcome even though they may not be possible in the next phase they may be added to future phases or developments.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 2:52am

As an example, I am currently thinking along the lines...

OpusFSX Flight Plan Weather Report

Generated Sunday 09 June 2013 06:55 Hrs

Route:

LFMN    NICE/COTE D'AZUR    LAT 43.665278  , LON 7.215000      Met Stn    
OKTET   OKTET               LAT 44.485000  , LON 6.569445      Way Pnt   LF
KOPOR   KOPOR               LAT 49.514167  , LON 2.421389      Way Pnt   LF
VESAN   VESAN               LAT 50.371945  , LON 2.026389      Way Pnt   LF
HALIF   HALIF               LAT 53.735000  , LON -1.580556     Way Pnt   EG
MARGO   MARGO               LAT 54.707500  , LON -2.774722     Way Pnt   EG
EGPH    EDINBURGH AIRPOR    LAT 55.950000  , LON -3.372500     Met Stn    

Average Upper Winds and Temps:

FLnnn XXX/XX -XX  FLnnn XXX/XX -XX  FLnnn XXX/XX -XX

Weather:

LFMN    NICE/COTE D'AZUR   
----------------------------------------------------------------------

ICAO Name XX.Xkm (XX.Xnm), QNH XXXXmb (XX.XXin)
Wind XXX/XX  Temp XX  Dew XX  Visibility XXXXm (XX.X miles)
CAVOK or Clouds...

OKTET   OKTET              

ICAO Name XX.Xkm (XX.Xnm), QNH XXXXmb (XX.XXin)
Wind XXX/XX  Temp XX  Dew XX  Visibility XXXXm (XX.X miles)
CAVOK or Clouds...

...etc.

The general format is,

<Nav Point Identity>
<Upper Winds and Temperatures>

<Nearest Met Station Identity, Distance and Reported QNH>
<Reported Weather at the Met Station>

For example (I have just made up the numbers) ...

If a Max Cruise Altitude of 35000 feet was specified for this flight then
the Upper wind/temp fields would be bracketed at 2000 ft intervals something
like,

FL330 014/31 -49  FL350 016/32 -53  FL370 018/32 -56

At LFMN Nice Cote d'Azur there is a local Met station so this entry would read
something like,

LFMN    NICE/COTE D'AZUR   

LFMN NICE/COTE D'AZUR, 0.4km (0.2nm), QNH 1011mb (29.86in)
Wind 080/10  Temp 19  Dew 16  Visibility 48000m (29.8 miles)
Few at 1100 feet
Broken at 2000 feet
Broken at 5300 feet

At the waypoint OKTET there is no Met station so the nearest Met station will
be listed, this entry would read something like,

OKTET   OKTET

LIMZ LEVALDIGI, 24.8km (13.4nm), QNH 1011mb (29.86in)
Wind 210/04  Temp 15  Dew 14  Visibility 48000m (29.8 miles)
Scattered at 3500 feet
Scattered at 7000 feet

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 3:02am
I may list all the nearby Met station weather reports so that you have a more accurate picture of the weather at each navigation point. The Upper winds and temperatures are of course specific to the actual nav point's location. If you have specifed multiple cruise levels I will bracket each specified level. Please let me know your thoughts.

Stephen

Posted By: solentlfyer
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 5:50am
Thanks Stephen, the format looks perfect.

If you do list all the nearby Met station weather reports (this as an excellent idea btw), would it be possible to sort them by distance from the navigation point - the nearest met station will normally be the most relevant for that nav point and this will make the report easier to skim read. Also would it be possible to show the bearing of the met station from the nav point in general terms (e.g. 3 miles NE / 10 miles S / 20 miles SW etc)?

Not sure if this feature is already present (or has been previously requested), but is there a means of refreshing the report during a flight? This would be very useful for longer flights in particular.

Best regards,
Dennis

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 6:01am
Thanks Dennis, we will sort by distance and the report wil be updated every time the weather is refreshed.

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 6:09am
That's perfect, many thanks Stephen. Also edited the post above to include a further request as you were replying (apologies).

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 9:36am
I should be able to show the bearing as well. Made a note of it anyway.

Stephen

Posted By: gandy
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 9:52am
Hi Stephen, Would it be possible to add a feature that saves and loads the routes we enter in to the assistant as it would speed up the process of getting flying.

An example would be.

If i fly from EGPH to LFMN ( i dont have many payware airports but im trying to change that ) i always use the same route even though the sids and stars might change i dont enter that part in to the assistant and it would just be nice to have a quick load/save feature :)

Paul

-------------
-Paul-
FSX/P3D, Win7 x64, GTX470, i5 3570 @ 4.2ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8gig ddr3 @ 1600mhz

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 9:54am
The latest beta does save the specified flight plan already.

Stephen

P.S.

I also keep a selection of frequently used flight plans in a text file so I can copy and paste.

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 11:39am
Hi Stephen, the average cruise wind output looks very appealing to us NGX users. As you know when you are initialising the NGXs FMC it asks for a cruise wind direction and speed, at this point just the one reading. I try to use the cruise winds from a waypoint about half way along my route. For a longish route there may be quite a variance, so an average would be great. Of course when you have got your route set you can the enter the winds at individual waypoints, if I'm not mistaken.i hope you can follow my drift. lol. I know the descent forecast winds that you can obtain from the upper and lower atmosphere reports certainly do seem to make a difference on the descent profile.
Phil

-------------

Posted By: russianspd
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 4:30pm

Thanks Dennis, we will sort by distance and the report wil be updated every time the weather is refreshed.

Just a question. But on long haul flights over say 8 hours or so. Does airline dispatch actually send them updated winds through the printer onboard or are they pretty much stuck with their original predicted paperwork? If pilots have paperwork with predicted winds for each waypoint they receive at the beginning of the flight and that's it then it would be "unrealistic" to have available updated winds for every waypoint when your weather updates.

JUST throwing that out there.

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 7:03pm
Hi russianspd, I can see you're based in the US so this web page may be of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_watch

Best regards,
Dennis

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 8:06pm
Thanks or that Solentlfyer, didn't know about that. I am assuming those discrete frequencies above FL180 are distributed regionally throughout the USA.

Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 6:36am
I have now added heading and bearing information to the site descriptions in the Opus weather report windows. I will add similar information within the OpusFlightReport.txt file.

For example,

LFMN NICE/COTE D'AZUR
FL330 014/31 -49 FL350 016/32 -53 FL370 018/32 -56

LFMN NICE/COTE D'AZUR, 0.4km (0.2nm), NW 318
Wind 080/10 Temp 19/16 Vis 48000m (29.8 miles) QNH 1011mb (29.86in)
Few at 1100 feet
Broken at 2000 feet
Broken at 5300 feet

Stephen

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 6:48am
I have posted Beta 3.10.1 which includes the first version of the generated OpusFlightReport.txt text file. This file does not include the averaged winds and temps as yet, I will add this feature soon along with the option to specify multiple cruise levels. At the moment only the specified Max Cruise Altitude is used and bracketed 2000 feet either side.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 6:55am
Hi Stephen,
Here is my current flight report, ( currently en route), Notice the US navaid fix, but I am flying between YMML and YBBN. Navdata error ?
Using NOAA and Vatsim. NavdataPro and Aussie met additions.
So, this is yet to be implemented, correct ?

Generated Tuesday Tuesday, 11 June 2013 10:49 PM Hrs

Route

YMML    MELBOURNE INTL A    LAT -37.673333 , LON 144.843333    Met Stn    
ML      MELBOURNE           LAT -37.660000 , LON 144.842220    Nav Aid   YM   Freq 114.100
H66     Nowata Mun          LAT 36.720922  , LON -95.625256    FSX Stn   United States
JCW     JACOBS WELL         LAT -27.761390 , LON 153.334440    Nav Aid   YB   Freq 116.500
BN      BRISBANE            LAT -27.365830 , LON 153.139170    Nav Aid   YB   Freq 113.200
YBBN    BRISBANE INTL AR    LAT -27.384167 , LON 153.117500    Met Stn
Julian

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 7:03am
Can you download and install the latest beta 3.10.1, problems with Nav data selection have already been corrected many betas ago, in version 3.04.1 in fact. Can you try the flight with the latest beta which includes the old fix to the Nav data selection problem.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 7:10am
That is the latest beta. Always update , and this one was installed today. Have to update reg to keep up with ya :) Have never missed a beta since 5/10/2012

-------------
Julian

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 7:15am
The latest beta, version 3.10.1, was posted just hours ago and includes the proper Opus Flight Report, not a dummy one. I will check your flight plan though.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 7:17am
Ahh got ya. Thanks Stephen. Will download shortly for my flights tomorrow. What threw me was you stated many betas ago, and I mis understood.

-------------
Julian

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 7:33am
H66 is not listed as a navigation aid or waypoint in my Navdata, hence it is not recognised. But it is listed as an municipal airfield in FSX.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 7:47am
Interesting, as H66 is a genuine airway on the Mel Bris route.
The waypoints within the airway are ML NONIX KACEY MDG TW PEBDO WHITI GAMBL JCW
ProAtcX picked up the airway from the same Navdata.

-------------
Julian

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 8:30am
We do not recognise airways at present, just navigation aids and waypoints.

The Navdata for the H66 airway is,

A,H66,9
S,ML,-37.660000,144.841945,NONIX,-37.076667,145.246667,0,17,39.97
S,NONIX,-37.076667,145.246667,KACEY,-35.443611,146.892222,17,27,126.24
S,KACEY,-35.443611,146.892222,MDG,-32.560833,149.593611,27,26,219.00
S,MDG,-32.560833,149.593611,TW,-31.066111,150.830278,26,23,109.62
S,TW,-31.066111,150.830278,WHITI,-29.172344,152.754442,23,29,151.26
S,WHITI,-29.172344,152.754442,GAMBL,-28.875000,153.048333,29,29,23.58
S,GAMBL,-28.875000,153.048333,BLAKA,-28.200000,153.221667,29,1,41.52
S,BLAKA,-28.200000,153.221667,MOOVI,-27.913334,153.295000,1,1,17.63
S,MOOVI,-27.913334,153.295000,JCW,-27.761389,153.334445,1,2,9.35

Or in the PMDG data,

H66 001 ML -37.660000 144.841945
H66 002 NONIX -37.076667 145.246667
H66 003 KACEY -35.443611 146.892222
H66 004 MDG -32.560833 149.593611
H66 005 TW -31.066111 150.830278
H66 006 WHITI -29.172344 152.754442
H66 007 GAMBL -28.875000 153.048333
H66 008 BLAKA -28.200000 153.221667
H66 009 MOOVI -27.913334 153.295000
H66 010 JCW -27.761389 153.334445

We are contemplating what to do for this, either recognise and ignore it, or trap the erroneous airfield and discard that.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 8:46am

If I extract all the nav points between the entry and exit points along the H66 airway then I get,

Generated Tuesday 11 June 2013 13:55 Hrs

Route:

YMML    MELBOURNE INTL A    LAT -37.673333 , LON 144.843333    Met Stn     
ML      MELBOURNE           LAT -37.660000 , LON 144.841945    Nav Aid   YM   Freq 114.100
NONIX   NONIX               LAT -37.076667 , LON 145.246667    Way Pnt   YM
KACEY   KACEY               LAT -35.443611 , LON 146.892222    Way Pnt   YM
MDG     MUDGEE              LAT -32.560833 , LON 149.593611    Nav Aid   YB   Freq 112.200
TW      TAMWORTH            LAT -31.066111 , LON 150.830278    Nav Aid   YB   Freq 116.000
WHITI   WHITI               LAT -29.172344 , LON 152.754442    Way Pnt   YB
GAMBL   GAMBL               LAT -28.875000 , LON 153.048333    Way Pnt   YB
BLAKA   BLAKA               LAT -28.200000 , LON 153.221667    Way Pnt   YB
MOOVI   MOOVI               LAT -27.913334 , LON 153.295000    Way Pnt   YB
JCW     JACOBS WELL         LAT -27.761389 , LON 153.334445    Nav Aid   YB   Freq 116.500
BN      BRISBANE            LAT -27.366111 , LON 153.139167    Nav Aid   YB   Freq 113.200
YBBN    BRISBANE INTL AR    LAT -27.384167 , LON 153.117500    Met Stn  

Average Upper Winds and Temps:

FLnnn XXX/XX -XXC    FLnnn XXX/XX -XXC    FLnnn XXX/XX -XXC

Weather:

YMML    MELBOURNE INTL A    
FL320 290/55 -53C    FL340 290/60 -58C    FL360 289/56 -59C

YMML, MELBOURNE INTL A, At Location
Wind 010/8 Temp 10/8 Vis 48000m (29.8 miles) QNH 1015mb (29.98in)

ML      MELBOURNE           
FL320 290/55 -53C    FL340 290/60 -58C    FL360 289/56 -59C

YMML, MELBOURNE INTL A, 1.5km (0.8nm), S 175

NONIX   NONIX              
FL320 295/51 -53C    FL340 293/54 -58C    FL360 292/53 -59C

YMML, MELBOURNE INTL A, 75km (41nm), SSW 208

KACEY   KACEY              
FL320 295/44 -50C    FL340 299/49 -55C    FL360 293/54 -59C

YSWG, WAGGA WAGGA(CV/M, 61km (33nm), ENE 059
Wind 110/9 Temp 10/7 Vis 48000m (29.8 miles) QNH 1016mb (30.01in)
Scattered at 4000 feet, Light Rain
Scattered at 17000 feet
Broken at 20000 feet

YWGT, WANGARATTA ARP, 120km (65nm), SSW 205
Wind 230/3 Temp 5/5 Vis 48000m (29.8 miles) QNH 1016mb (30.01in)

MDG     MUDGEE              
FL320 284/44 -49C    FL340 282/45 -53C    FL360 279/51 -56C

YSDU, DUBBO, 103km (56nm), WNW 291
Wind 090/8 Temp 12/11 Vis 48000m (29.8 miles) QNH 1016mb (30.01in)

TW      TAMWORTH            
FL320 285/50 -47C    FL340 281/57 -50C    FL360 277/65 -51C

YSTW, TAMWORTH AIRPORT, 2.5km (1.4nm), SE 141
Wind 140/7 Temp 10/9 Vis 48000m (29.8 miles) QNH 1018mb (30.06in)
Scattered at 10000 feet

WHITI   WHITI              
FL320 277/60 -44C    FL340 276/76 -45C    FL360 275/88 -47C

No Weather Available

GAMBL   GAMBL              
FL320 277/60 -44C    FL340 276/76 -45C    FL360 275/88 -47C

YBCG, COOLANGATTA AWS, 91km (49nm), NNE 029
Wind 250/4 Temp 19/17 Vis 48000m (29.8 miles) QNH 1019mb (30.09in)
Scattered at 1600 feet
Scattered at 5600 feet
Scattered at 7000 feet

BLAKA   BLAKA              
FL320 278/71 -41C    FL340 276/87 -42C    FL360 274/97 -45C

YBCG, COOLANGATTA AWS, 28km (15nm), E 081
Scattered at 1600 feet
Scattered at 5600 feet
Scattered at 7000 feet

YAMB, AMBERLEY, 80km (43nm), NW 321
Wind 230/5 Temp 18/18 Vis 48000m (29.8 miles) QNH 1018mb (30.06in)
Broken at 300 feet

MOOVI   MOOVI              

YBCG, COOLANGATTA AWS, 35km (19nm), SE 143
Scattered at 1600 feet
Scattered at 5600 feet
Scattered at 7000 feet

YBBN, BRISBANE INTL AR, 61km (33nm), NNW 343
Wind 030/3 Temp 18/18 Vis 48000m (29.8 miles) QNH 1018mb (30.06in)
Few at 2000 feet
Scattered at 4500 feet

JCW     JACOBS WELL        

YBBN, BRISBANE INTL AR, 47km (25nm), NNW 332
Few at 2000 feet
Scattered at 4500 feet

YBCG, COOLANGATTA AWS, 48km (26nm), SSE 159
Scattered at 1600 feet
Scattered at 5600 feet
Scattered at 7000 feet

BN      BRISBANE            
FL320 277/80 -38C    FL340 275/93 -41C    FL360 273/102 -44C

YBBN, BRISBANE INTL AR, 2.9km (1.6nm), SW 226
Few at 2000 feet
Scattered at 4500 feet

YAMB, AMBERLEY, 52km (28nm), SW 233
Broken at 300 feet

YBBN    BRISBANE INTL AR    
FL320 277/80 -38C    FL340 275/93 -41C    FL360 273/102 -44C

YBBN, BRISBANE INTL AR, At Location
Few at 2000 feet
Scattered at 4500 feet

YAMB, AMBERLEY, 49km (27nm), SW 234
Broken at 300 feet

We are considering doing this automatically.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 8:46am
Ok, thanks Stephen. Will enter waypoints for the time being.

-------------
Julian

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 9:40am
We have asked Navigraph for our own airways Nav data file (ATS.txt). We are planning to include airways, decoding the standard ATS.txt Navigraph file in addition to recognising and accepting the PMDG Navigraph wpnavrte.txt file.

It will take us a little time to recognise and incorporate airways into the FP Assistant, so in the mean time you can either omit the airway code if it causes problems or enter the navigation points along the airway.

Stephen

P.S.

The usual good response from Magnus at Navigraph means we have a copy of the ATS.txt airways file we can add to our installation. Many thanks Magnus.

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 10:37am
I'm also going to add the distance and bearing between Nav points and a total distance indication. For example,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BN      BRISBANE            XX.xkm (XX.xnm) NE 045, Total XXX.xkm (XXX.xnm)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FL320 277/80 -38C          FL340 275/93 -41C          FL360 273/102 -44C

Stephen

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 11:21am
Sounds like all is going well Stephen

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 11:22am
Yes, it should be fun.

Stephen

Date Posted: June-18-2013 at 12:35am
Would it be possible in the Flightplan report to have the route listed at the top in it's entirety and then the waypoints listed out instead of having each navpoint of the route listed without showing the airways? Easier to reference when putting into the FMC to have the airways still listed, and then the navpoints of those airways spelled out below.

My route is:
KSMF RBL J65 LMT J189 BTG OLM8 KSEA

The J65 and J189 is not listed but the navpoints in those airways are.

Thanks!

Date Posted: June-18-2013 at 12:46am
Yes, I will see about doing that right now. Will post 3.10.4 when ready.
Reminder ... Make sure you have deleted your GRIB data files.

Stephen Smile

Date Posted: June-18-2013 at 12:49am

Yes, I will see about doing that right now. Will post 3.10.4 when ready.
Reminder ... Make sure you have deleted your GRIB data files.

Stephen Smile

Just updated that posting, user error. Thanks for taking care of that small problem, least for me anyway.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net