SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight One Products and Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[Preview] Sneak Peek of the 162 SkyCatcher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 7:46am
What about those of us who ARE two 170 lb pilots? Confused

....where's that P90X DVD set?

Paul Scott Bartelt

The grass is always greener over the septic tank

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 8:53am
I feel your pain, Paul. I learned to fly in a Cessna 150 (back in the stone age). There's no way one could hold me now. LOL
John Patterson
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 9:40am
When I got my PPL I took on the additional challenge of slimming down, too.  I made it from 250 to 197 and that made a difference.  Cross country flights involved a few less fuel stops.

Im not back at the 250 mark but school has burdened me with "a few extra books" to carry around.

Paul Scott Bartelt

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 10:42am
When younger, we kept hearing how it was harder to shed pounds the older you got. Trust me. Its true.
John Patterson
NismoRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NismoRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 11:30am
Originally posted by thesearcher thesearcher wrote:

NismoRR, just curious, do you use less than a full tank of fuel? According to the Cessna website, full fuel payload is barely that of two 170 lb pilots, so even if the two weigh that much at max, the range graph suggests the resulting range is negligible. (Which doesn't really make sense.)

The fuel tanks have been filled to just over 1/2 every time I've been in it. I weigh 175 or so, and my CFI is similar.

I'm literally out the door to get to my lesson. Santa Ana (offshore) winds are expected to be strong today, so I'm not even sure we're going up, though last week we took off in a 14 kt crosswind and it didn't seem too bad.

Todd 
riccardo74 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riccardo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 4:51pm
Does C162 will be provided with upgradable navdata via Navigraph (sorry f allready asked, but not found)? I hope it. This would be realistic besides very usefull.

Edit P.S.: I can't understan if it will be released with G300 PFD/MFD or not, sorry..
O.S.: Windows 7, 64 bit, MB: ASUS Rampage II Extreme, CPU: Intel Core i7 920, RAM: 6 giga Corsair XMS DDR 3 triple channel, GPU: Nvidia GTX 275
Jim Rhoads View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 8:39pm
No, the 162 is a VFR aircraft. It does not need IFR current approach capability
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riccardo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Jim Rhoads Jim Rhoads wrote:

No, the 162 is a VFR aircraft. It does not need IFR current approach capability

Hi Jim, but "real" C162 was designed only for VFR? is it not certified for IFR even if it has a Garmin 300 with PFD and MFD? The real counterpart doesn't provide a navigational database (upgradable via garmin) with navaids etc etc? I can't understand why F1 can do the same thing (like you do for C182) with navigraph.

F1 C162 will have only the PFD or MFD too?

Thanks a lot,
Riccardo
O.S.: Windows 7, 64 bit, MB: ASUS Rampage II Extreme, CPU: Intel Core i7 920, RAM: 6 giga Corsair XMS DDR 3 triple channel, GPU: Nvidia GTX 275
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 7:40pm
It sounds like maybe you need to study the aircraft a bit more.
But I will repeat it again, this aircraft is a VFR only aircraft and will not have Navigraph support. This is an LSA, a fun aircraft for nice weather flying. If that is not what you are looking for you should not consider this aircraft because you will be disappointed.

Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 9:29pm
Here is a quote directly from the Pilots Operation Handbook from Cessna...

"The Model 162 Skycatcher is not equipped or certified for IFR flight."

So it would be completly unrealistic to add features that do not exist in the real aircraft.
Steve

ronhamilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronhamilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 2:10am
THEY ARE DOING A 172/182 w/G1000 so buy that one for the IFR stuff, it will be AWESOME!
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riccardo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 6:17pm

It sounds like maybe you need to study the aircraft a bit more.
But I will repeat it again, this aircraft is a VFR only aircraft and will not have Navigraph support. This is an LSA, a fun aircraft for nice weather flying. If that is not what you are looking for you should not consider this aircraft because you will be disappointed.

Thanks a lot, I now have ideas very much clearer, sorry for lack of jurisdiction in the matter, but I admit to not knowing the C162, I thought since it fitting a G300 "de facto" it was also certified for IFR.

Sorry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 6:26pm
No Problem Riccardo, I just don't want you to think it is something it isn't and end up disjointedness. (dang spell check!... DISAPPOINTED!) LOL

Regards,

Jim
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riccardo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 6:39pm

No Problem Riccardo, I just don't want you to think it is something it isn't and end up disjointedness.

Regards,

Jim

No problem Jim, you are wellcome. I hope this aircraft will be released soon, it's very good aircraft. Smile
pjc747 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjc747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 8:48am
Looks nice. Looks like its been announced for over a year now. Hmmm must be getting close to being done.
NismoRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NismoRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 10:01am
Originally posted by pjc747 pjc747 wrote:

Looks nice. Looks like its been announced for over a year now. Hmmm must be getting close to being done.

I was of this same thinking two moths ago when I started lessons in the Skycatcher. Looks like tomorrow could be the BIG day, solo for the first time, weather permitting. My CFI told me yesterday I'm ready! I'm DYING to solo in this model for FSX. The "other" version is crap in virtually every way. The flight model isn't even close to the real C162. And graphics wise, the interior and external model are terrible to put it bluntly.

If you need a tester with intimate knowledge of the real SkyCatcher, just let me know! Wink  Seriously, after soloing, I would LOVE to learn the G300 inside of this model and get ready for my XCs coming up. Wishful thinking I know...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 10:59am
Hi Nismo,

I will keep you in mind for sure, but as for intimate knowledge, Cessna is a partner on this so I think it is safe to assume they know quite a bit about the 162. Tongue

As for the 300, as I always say, do not expect a 1:1 simulation of it. This is not a G300 trainer. It is a well balanced 162 simulation targeted for entertainment. As long as we all understand that, we will all be happy.

Regards,

Jim
NismoRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NismoRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 12:13pm

Hi Nismo,

I will keep you in mind for sure, but as for intimate knowledge, Cessna is a partner on this so I think it is safe to assume they know quite a bit about the 162. Tongue    

For sure! One of the main reasons I'm looking forward to the model - Cessna's involvement. That's why I want to get my hands on her! The Aba, er uh, "other" 162 is basically a default plane with worse flight modeling imo.   

Originally posted by wrote:

As for the 300, as I always say, do not expect a 1:1 simulation of it. This is not a G300 trainer. It is a well balanced 162 simulation targeted for entertainment. As long as we all understand that, we will all be happy.

Understood. I'm slowly reading the G300 manual and it's quite extensive. I'm not expecting a full simulation. I'm hopeful we'll see her in action soon, before my training is over. Confused

Regards,

Todd
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riccardo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 4:49pm
Sorry Jim, I know that the aircraft's database will not be updated via the AIRAC Navigraph service, but (for my curiosity) I would like to know why the team has made ??this choice for the SkyCatcher when in fact, the G300 supports updating the database instead. ... "There's Also afront-loading SD card slot for software and database updates". Again, this is just my curiosity, I know SkyCatcher is designed for the VFR, but I was wondering if you have a choice or not.

Thanks
luap View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 5:53pm
Just a hunch, but he'll probably tell you it's cost of development versus customer price expectations.

Paul Scott Bartelt

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 7:13pm
It isn't a real G300, it isn't a real Skycatcher and it is an entertainment product that by its very nature does not warrant a Navigraph integration, and last but certainly not least, because thats the way I designed it and it is not going to change for this product.
Steve Halpern View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Halpern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 9:36am

The software and database updates by a SSD card may not be relevant to IFR or what would be of interest to Navigraph customers. I do have to concur with Jim in that designing and maintaining updatability to an LSA-VFR only aircraft does not really serve much purpose in real world circles. Plus, I do not think Cessna would be too happy with too much fiction in the aircraft.

Steve

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 10:27am
And I will add that if having navigraph updates is a paramount requirement for this add-on, you may have very well missed the point of this product. Personally, I would skip it because don't think you will be satisfied with it.  I think the hobby has become enamored with wanting levels of realism to a point that exceeds the market value. 
gjharrall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjharrall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 1:44pm
NAVIGRPAH updates for a two seat trainer / pleasure aircraft?

Why would you want or need, especially within the confines of FSX?

I think some people need to get with the concept of what FSX + addons is and is not!

Do what I did and learn to fly for real if ultimate realism is your goal.

I have actually found it hard to get back into simming since. The community seems obsessed with 'realism freaks' who think they can REALLY fly.

Do you know what I use in cross country flights? A map, a whizwheel and flightplan. (with a Garmin Nuvi auto GPS as a reference!) Thats as real as it gets! No fancy Garmin 400 or 500 let alone a G1000 setup!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 2:02pm
Amen brother...
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riccardo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 2:43pm
Thanks to all.
BOOM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 9:50pm
Really nice Cessna AirCraft 2 part vids,"Learning to Fly The 162 SkyCatcher"
Part 1
Part 2

Patrick
flya150 View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flya150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by gjharrall gjharrall wrote:

NAVIGRPAH updates for a two seat trainer / pleasure aircraft?

Why would you want or need, especially within the confines of FSX?

I think some people need to get with the concept of what FSX + addons is and is not!

Do what I did and learn to fly for real if ultimate realism is your goal.

I have actually found it hard to get back into simming since. The community seems obsessed with 'realism freaks' who think they can REALLY fly.

Do you know what I use in cross country flights? A map, a whizwheel and flightplan. (with a Garmin Nuvi auto GPS as a reference!) Thats as real as it gets! No fancy Garmin 400 or 500 let alone a G1000 setup!

Before you go calling people here realism freaks maybe you should learn who is exactly using FSX and why. I for one have my PPL which if not for flightsim I would have never acquired. After I received my PPL  I started training for my instrument. I never lost interest in flightsim and use it to help me with my training. As flying has become quit expensive for me these days I look to my flightsim to continue my passion. I have a great appreciation for the developers who have produced the awesome scenery and aircraft that gives us that closest to the real thing as can be.

I bought the F1 Citation Mustang, not an aircraft I fly for real, but appreciate the ability to build a flightplan in the G1000 and practice WAAS and ILS approaches. I also have invested in to all the Reality XP gauges and GPS to use in my other aircraft, so to have that more realistic ability using a GPS for navigation. I very much enjoy the use of my flight computer E6B a chart and flight planning too. I fly with both Vatsim and IVAO and enjoy hosting session on gamespy for friends and new comers I have met there.

I have met many real pilots using flight simulator some like myself and some from professional aviation backgrounds that find flightsimming a great tool to use for both fun and practice.

I'm not here to argue that this beautiful aircraft the "c162" should have Navigraph update abilities, thatís up to Mr. Jim Roads. But I do not appreciate your comments regarding the "flightsim community who think they can really fly."

As you are fortunate to be able to fly in the real world,  please don't bash those who either don't have a PPL or cannot continue to fly do to circumstances.

sincerely , flya150

ryanbATC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanbATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by flya150 flya150 wrote:

Before you go calling people here realism freaks maybe you should learn who is exactly using FSX and why. I for one have my PPL which if not for flightsim I would have never acquired. After I received my PPL <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">†</SPAN>I started training for my instrument. I never lost interest in flightsim and use it to help me with my training. As flying has become quit expensive for me these days I look to my flightsim to continue my passion. I have a great appreciation for the developers who have produced the awesome scenery and aircraft that gives us that closest to the real thing as can be. flya150

Great post. I'm rated PPL ASEL but not even close to current. Though I feel I can fly well in FSX. I use FSX to keep approach plate information handy in my brain so when I work rw ATC I don't need to reference the charts. Also because it's fun.

So to gjharrall don't think you're "l33t" or better than flight sim users because you are flying for real. RW flying is awesome I admit, but many folks supplement that expensive hobby with flight sim. Your post comes off extremely arrogant and frankly it's annoying.
gjharrall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjharrall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:31pm
Whoooaaaa, hold up there boys! I'm not bashing anyone.

If it wasn't for flightsim I probably would NOT be flying in RW.

What is annoying for me is people in FS community who seem to think that 100% tech reproduction is essential on a piece of entertainment software which mimics real life. Its the rivet counters on external models etc or the "I moved switch XYZ and ABC didnt light up" on some system that is completely useless within the sim anyway. To a certain degree, realism within FSX is important, otherwise whats the point? But expectations for a piece of entertainment software have gotten way out of hand. I would wager the devs at F1 would agree to a certain extent.

I have used FS as a training aid extensively, however I live with its limitations and the addons (provided by great guys like F1) limitations as it is simply that....an aid and an entertainment piece of software.

If F1 provided the 162 with the current Garmin database what would the problem be? Its not like you will be flying into a new 'obstruction' which has suddenly been built around your favourite airfield within the FSX world. The garmin would function as RW still would it not? In fact, most of the time the FSX 'world' is behind in terms of navigational correctness anyway!

These are the same people that want all this fucntionality and then complain because the package isn't for sale at $29.99 or under.....
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 8:17pm
If F1 provided the 162 with the current Garmin database what would the problem be?

Because they would not be willing to pay what it would cost.
gjharrall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjharrall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 4:18pm
Jim,

What I meant was like the current trainer with the RXP products.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 5:10pm
You are talking apples and oranges.

RXP isn't licensing any data. He is hacking the Garmin trainer and making it work with FSX.
The data is embedded in the trainer and Garmin pays the licensing fee for that data to Jeppesen.  A very rare situation and one that I am surprised has lasted this long.
pjc747 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjc747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2011 at 7:57pm
According to Garmin's website, it does contain an SD-card slot:

HercFan View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HercFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 6:15pm
My heart skipped a beat when i saw this thread got updated... But alas :(

Jim, feel free to update us when ever you feel like it!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Rhoads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 9:09pm
Its coming... we have had some snags, but we should be rounding it out soon...
NismoRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NismoRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 9:09pm
Funny this post just got updated recently. I've been away since March and am happy to say I passed my Sport Pilot checkride this week!! Clap  And yes, it was in the SkyCatcher. I have ~32 hours logged and have really enjoyed learning to fly in this plane. Was looking to see what's going on with this model as of course I'll be getting her ASAP. I'll be looking to add my Airspace Endorsement in October or so, and was hoping the C162 would be out by then and I could practice on Vatsim.  Crossing Fingers... 

BTW, I got this video last week from inside the cockpit from my CFI if you want to take a look.

ryanbATC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanbATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 3:33pm
Does that guy have blue hair lol?

How much does it cost you for 1 hr of flight?
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 8:01pm
Nice Vid NismoRR.   I so want to get back up in the air! Need to drop some weight first though.

Congrats on passing the checkride!
Keep the Blue Side UP! - Flight1 Sales / Customer Support
NismoRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NismoRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 11:49am
Thanks Jeff. First flight (as pilot) is Wednesday. Tongue

Yes, that is blue hair on my CFI. It's now RED. California people...lol  But seriously, an awesome guy and great instructor! And the SkyCatcher rents for $125/hr wet(It was $110 when I started in January). There's another C162 that came to the area and it goes for $100.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic