SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Scenery and Mission Making Tools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Placing an Object in IS3 Causes FSX to Crash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmanning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Placing an Object in IS3 Causes FSX to Crash
    Posted: September-16-2017 at 6:15pm
Hi
I'm trying out the Instant Scenery 3 so that I can place objects exactly where they should go. But every time I place an object, which was a jetway, I get an error message and FSX crashes, or just closes, and the object never gets placed. 

Thirty dollars is a lot of money to spend on something that I can't use, and if there are going to be issues every time I place something or do something in Instant Scenery 3, I may have second thoughts about it. So, before I invest any money into this, I want to know more details about these error messages and what caused them.

Let me explain everything I've done and that may reveal something here, which really I don't think has nothing to do with.

First off, I created a terminal at Green Tree Airport, which is in Rhode Island called Providence, using a 3D software called Sketchup. The ICAO is KPVD. I developed this terminal because the one in FSX is nothing to what the terminal looks like in the real world, and as far as its placement, it is way off. Also, I created a new airport file in ADE to update the airport as it is today using a satellite image to make all the corrects that needed to be made. After installing these into FSX, I've still noticed that the jetways were still not in their proper place, to line up perfectly with the building. They were positioned, so to speak, where the they were cutting through the glass windows instead of the openings designed for the jetway. The only way I know to position them correctly is to connect to FSX using ADE and using the crosshairs to position them, which would take a long time, or us Instant Scenery 3.

So I downloaded the Demo version of Instant Scenery 3 to fine out how well it works. Of course, IS3 only works within a 50 mile radius of Tacoma Airport in the demo, so I used it as a test. Every time I tried to place a jetway object, I get an error message and FSX crashes ,or just closes. It does it every time.

Let me add that when I click the mouse to make the placement, a menu pops up with 8 choices, but 2 of them would be the one I select which is at the top. The first choice is "Add to APX151150", which is the default file in FSX. The other choice is "Add to Another File." I chose "Add to Another File" and selected the Airport File I created in ADE which contained the jetway. I did not wanted to make any changes to the default file so I made a copy, so to speak,  and used that file. When making this copy, I deleted the jetway in ADE at gate D12 so I could add the one in Instant Scenery in it's place to see how it works. I did not save this airport file with the deleted jetway but I only compiled it. When I try to place the jetway, that is when I get the error and FSX just closes. 

So, why is it that I'm getting the error message and not able to place this object?

Ken. 
kmanning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmanning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2017 at 7:46pm
Does anyone know why I'm getting an error message and FSX crashing every time I try to place an object? I still have not heard anything on this, or does anyone provide support? If I cannot get support for IS3, I will not buy it.

Ken.
ualani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ualani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 8:20am
I'm lost as to where you are saving your IS3 .bgl file.What error message shows up in your Windows Event Viewer application log after it crashes?
caveman2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 11:37am
There's too much here for me to address in a proper manner, so let's cut to basics.

IS3 places scenery object MDL and writes the placement into a XML that becomes a BGL file.
Jetways placed via an airport tool are XML-based, not MDL-based.
FSX is probably crashing because you are saving to an airport file, which contains more than placement code.
If you want an accurately placed Ctrl-J based jetway for your airport file you are going to have to do it via the airport tool.

Wrong tool = wrong results. Simple as that.
GaryGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 3:13pm
Hi Ken:

Please see my reply to your thread on this same topic posted at FSDeveloper: Wink

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery-3.441046/#post-781411

GaryGB
kmanning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmanning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2017 at 6:57am

Hi all,
Just wanted to post the reason for the error message and why FSX was crashing to the desk top.

Quote FSX is probably crashing because you are saving to an airport file, which contains more than placement code.
That's exactly what happened. I was saving it to my main airport ADE file. I thought IS3 worked by adding those objects to the airport file but it doesn't.

Quote If you want an accurately placed Ctrl-J based jetway for your airport file you are going to have to do it via the airport tool.

Yes, I could use ADE, and I've done that. But it doesn't place the jetways precisely in the correct location. When using IS3, I figured out that I need to keep this file separate from the main airport bgl file.

Ken.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic