SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

nvidia inspector problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nvidia inspector problem
    Posted: May-18-2018 at 11:08pm
My fsxse install was getting kind of convoluted so I decided to reinstall. Did a totally clean uninstall deleting everything after uninstalling the fsx. Installed fsxse and it all went fine. It was in the same place as the last install. No problems that I could see.

But it was obvious inspector wasn't working. I checked and all my settings were there but obviously they weren't connecting with fsx.

I am stymied. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2018 at 11:46pm
rich12545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich12545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 12:26am
I totally forgot about making the new changes in the sim. I changed the anisotropic and anti-alias and now it's fine. This "totally forgot" happens more and more as I get older. Thanks very much.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 12:31am
You ain't the only one!  LOL

now-a-days, I'm lucky if I remember where I left my car.

When in doubt, always refer to the driver and setup post at the top of the forum.
paulmohr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmohr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 12:20pm
Nick, that link is dead now. Which sucks because in my opinion it was the best guide on the internet. All the others are outdated and rather lacking in explanations. Yours was awesome because it explained what you need to do, what you don't need to do and why. And it was updated for newer software and hardware. Great job on it, except its gone now lol.

I just used it the other day, then I had to re install windows because of some hardware issues. I tried to find the post again yesterday it was just gone. Could you please look into that for us. It was very valuable information. The above pictures got me back to where I needed be but the original post had much more information.

Thanks, Paul
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 12:54pm
The post is hidden. I have come across yet another Nvidia driver release problem I am trying to solve which broke part of the setup I had in the outline.

I will get it back up as soon as I can.  For right now and FSX-SE just use the one above and if it doesn't work, revert to the original outline here:  https://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsx-cfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html   

You will find the config file edits in that old link too, they haven't changed for FSX but with FSX-SE leave out [BUFFERPOOLS]  HIGHMEMFIX=1 and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT with FSX-SE will be =160 which is their default

For P3Dv4 just use the in-game settings for AA and AF. 8xMSAA and 16 AF. 

It is becoming a real problem with MS updates and Nvidia changing their drivers. I have to find a solution that wont have me scrambling to edit that outline every month or so
paulmohr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmohr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 1:50pm
Ah ok, sorry about the problems. Which is why in one of your other guides you say NOT to update drivers unless you have to lol.

Although I have the newest updates for windows 10 and nvidia drivers. Just installed them last night. Seems to work pretty good for me. You mean it should actually work better! Looking forward to the updates when you have time or the ambition to do it. I love your information but I don't expect it to be a full time job for you chasing MS and nvidia around every time they tweak something and screw stuff up. I have the same problem with Second Life, they are always breaking stuff trying to fix stuff that didn't need to be fixed lol.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by paulmohr paulmohr wrote:

Ah ok, sorry about the problems. Which is why in one of your other guides you say NOT to update drivers unless you have to lol.

Absolutely true, but a write-up like configuration and setup cant assume everyone follows that advice. Also there is a point over time that a driver update or change will be required for various reasons so I have to make sure what I post is accurate and covers all the bases.

paulmohr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmohr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 5:55pm
Yep, they did change the drivers. And it must have been in the last two days too. Those new setting worked when I got my nvidia card a few days ago. I just re installed everything last night and it changed lol. From what I can see one of the things they changed is you need to turn the Transparency Supersampling back on now. I changed that setting and things smoothed right out again and it looks just like it did a few days ago.

And if you are interested I noticed something about the Ryzen 5. When you set the Affinitymask you can just leave it on 14. The Ryzens use a form of hyperthreading called SMT but setting the mask to 84 doesn't seem to help anything. It doesn't hurt anything either, no glitches or performance loss that I can see, but I also didn't see any improvement either. This was with the FX570 and the GTX 1060 both. Although with the RX570 limiting the frame rate actually made it run worse. I suppose if you had a monitor that would do AMD's free sync or whatever it is called it might work ok, but I don't. Even with the GTX 1060 if you just limit the frame rate with FSX it runs pretty choppy. Once you enable G sync at 1/2 rate it smooths out and runs really great.

I am currently working on a before and after video for youtube, if I ever get it done I will be sure to credit you in it.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 7:02pm
I have never used Affinity Mask for any system I have setup. First, I do not enable hyperthread and instead prefer to take the 300MHz higher in CPU speed over that feature. With no hyperthread in use, Affinity Mask has little to no use.

Even when I have tested with lower CPU speed and HT enabled, I never found any significant difference using Affinity Mask. If I have applications I am running outside the sim I will assign those applications cores other than the first manually and that has never failed.

If folks find it helps them then first off, they are using hyperthread and second something is hitting the cores other than the sim and needs to be properly redirected. I can accomplish that far easier than testing Affinity Mask numbers

I am not aware of any GSync setup that has a good effect on FSX/P3D.

Running unlimited, if that works best for you then the combination of the hardware (Flightsim should be on Intel CPU, never AMD) CPU+Video+ system is overtaxed with the settings. When we run "Unlimited" frame lock it removes

Fiber Frame Time Fraction
Texture Bandwidth Mult + any undocumented texture bandwidth manual addition
Several other config settings

Unlimited frame lock turns any control value for those off and addresses the hardware differently. Lower end hardware will many times run better like that, and upper end hardware can show the same result if the user is pushing everything to the limit.

That is why in the past I said, it will 30, 60 or unlimited frame lock
paulmohr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulmohr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 11:05pm
Sorry I meant Vertical sync not Gsync, my bad lol. With the AMD card I couldn't find any vertical sync options. All it had was a frame rate lock. It ran better if I left both the card and FSX in unlimited frames. With the GTX 1060 it for sure runs better with FSX limited to 30 and Vertical sync set to 1/2 since my monitor is 60hz. I could run it locked at 60 fps but I tried both and couldn't see a difference so I stuck with 30 fps.

I really can't do anything about the AMD vs Intel cpu thing. I already have the ryzen 5 and I can't afford an i7 with the same performance, especially when you consider having to get a new motherboard as well. Maybe my next build. I might do some research and experimenting with the SMT though and see if it has the same effects as hyperthreading does on the intels though. So far though everything I have read is that AMD's version of it is implemented better and is supposed to work pretty good. I couldn't tell you why though, that stuff is way over my head.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2018 at 1:14am
The outline I posted above will be replaced soon.

I will be reverting back to the original method where AA is unchecked in FSX and filtering is set to trilinear

There is a setting in NVI that must be enabled to address Windows 10/Nvidia BS. Its only relevant to W10 but can be made in W7 too although won't pose any problem so I can write this up for all OS's.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2018 at 4:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic