SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Ultimate Terrain and XpressSim Products > Ultimate Terrain And XpressSim Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Product X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmountford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2009 at 7:10pm
I like the idea of end users being able to develop areas, one thing I've thought of before is having an online site where users could upload data and then on the server it generates the datasets for everyone to access...

I have long been thinking about something called Project GeoCode... I have some tools that can help with people logging POI's in Google Earth and then it runs a process and generates BGL's based off that...

The thing is that worldwide most locations don't change much in 10-20 years, some houses and buildings exist for a good 30-50 years...

Similar with vegetation, there's not usually a lot of change over the years. I've always thought a good central database for scenery design worldwide would be great... Kinda like openstreetmap but for scenery development...
c152flyboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c152flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2009 at 11:33pm

Allen,

looking at Alex's respnse about having user end people doing building and POI additions is like using ADE for making changes in FSX.  there may not be alot of peopl ewho do it ( i am one of them ) but they get shared over avsim or other sites all the time.  i could see the same thing happening for project X.  but from your side of the fence, i could see it would be a lot easier to develop and release project X with out the additions like that.  you could always release a basic and pro version with the pro side having the extra tools for peopl eto do changes thenselves.

kenthansen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenthansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2009 at 1:44am
OK
I've been waiting for some feed back before replying.

What I would like to see is a fully automated product with the POI and DOP (Dynamic Object positioning) as a base product.

This will enhance UTX to a new level and give us the new vector autogen technology.

Then you can focus on detailed regional updates, with custom buildings.
I'm sure like myself, I will buy the region I live in...
And like most I want the most detail I can get, so I will update all the new regions as they come out.

For releasing tools, this is something to put a lot of thought into.
Even though I would like to be able to customize my home town.
I can see this leading to a lot of tech support.
Maybe something to add in the future.
There are already a lot of tools to out there to do this.

Asus P9X79 Mobo, Intel i7 3820 Quad CPU @ 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3 Ram @ 2133 MHz, GTX 760 OC 2GB GDDR5, 850w PS, W7 64 Optimized
spesimen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spesimen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2009 at 8:31pm
looks awesome!

as soon as i saw it i couldn't help but think "i'd love to get my hands on that tool to do my hometown." i agree that a lot of people who made such areas would freely contribute them, the sheer amount of freeware afcads and repaints on avsim is evidence of this.

although kent suggests there are other tools out there for this, i'm not sure i've seen any that would make it easy to annotate large buildings from a satellite image and plop them down short of doing a full scenery package, which sounds extremely time consuming. i like the idea of doing a large area quickly using existing vector scenery as a template.

i can understand that creating a toolset and releasing that would invite a lot of support nightmares as evidenced by the shenanigans some people have even with getting even basic stuff like utx setup correctly.

anyway it's an exciting idea, keep up the good work!
cheers,
-andy crosby
alainneedle1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alainneedle1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 2:01pm

Will this add tall building? What I'm getting at is this, if I fly with UTX as it is right now over FT-Lauderdale West Palm beach or Miami there is no tall building as it should be on the beach or the city.

Now everybody will say "If you add tall building you'll get a hit on your FPS", I already know that but for peoples who have a very good and fast PC it will be nice to have something (special slider?) to add building or not with this new product "x".

I live in FT-Lauderdale and I like when I see something more real as the pic. you posted at the begining of this tread so with the building been where they should be it will be fantastic. I hope you understand what I'm asking.

Thank you for all the good work.

PS: Anything new? More pics.?

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by alainneedle1 alainneedle1 wrote:

Will this add tall building? What I'm getting at is this, if I fly with UTX as it is right now over FT-Lauderdale West Palm beach or Miami there is no tall building as it should be on the beach or the city.

Now everybody will say "If you add tall building you'll get a hit on your FPS", I already know that but for peoples who have a very good and fast PC it will be nice to have something (special slider?) to add building or not with this new product "x".

I live in FT-Lauderdale and I like when I see something more real as the pic. you posted at the begining of this tread so with the building been where they should be it will be fantastic. I hope you understand what I'm asking.

Thank you for all the good work.

PS: Anything new? More pics.?

I do understand your question.  But, it is a little difficult to answer without getting technical.   I don't know how well this will go over.  But, I will try :)

As I mentioned earlier, there are 3 parts to "project X".  

1. Housing subdivisions.
  2. POI building translations
  3. Semi-Custom buildings

I think most people understand the housing subdivision part of it.  So, I will skip that and focus on the other two.

The other 2 parts of "project X" will provide your larger buildings.  

You heard me mention before the POI data (point of interest data).   This is the same data that you get with your GPS units.   POI data is used to direct you to restaurants, shops, etc using your GPS.   Each individual point in the data set has a location, name, genre (restaurant, shop, etc).   The locations are not exact, but they are generally close enough to their real life locations.  The reason they are not exact locations, comes from the fact that the lat/long positions are obtained from geocoding algorithms.  Geocoding is somewhat of a GIS industry standard that attempts to place building locations using address ranges to estimate lat/long locations.   The image below shows a small sample area of Tyler with the POI locations displayed on top of the roads.    There are a TON of POI's available (over 13 million for the entire USA).

Geocoding will place the POI's near their appropriate place on a street segment.  In a nutshell, our software takes the POI and moves it off the street (on the correct side).   It then groups POI's that are at the same address, so that a larger building can be placed for a group of POI's occupying the same address.  The "Project X" software always rotates the objects towards the street and makes sure objects don't overlap.   Lastly, it chooses an appropriate generic building from a library of hundreds of objects that have been created, plus some useful objects in the FSX library.   For example, a church gets a church building.   A BBQ restaurant gets a generic BBQ restaurant building object.   The results are pretty stunning, considering that the POI is not really designed to be used in this manner.  And, POI data tells nothing about the building structure or footprint shape.  But, each POI data point is very detailed as to what type of activity takes place at that location.  So, that is a big help.

The better our algorithms for automating the placement of buildings using the POI data, the less hand-drawing has to be done (the semi-custom building part).   And, more automation means larger product regions that can be sold as a single product in a shorter period of time.

Some buildings are more difficult than others to get correct using POI data.   Very tall buildings are one example.   For certain types of buildings, like those with more than x number of businesses within the same building, we kick the POI data out as exceptions.   And, we then work these by hand as semi-custom buildings (the 3rd part).   These semi-custom buildings are exactly the same size, shape and position as the real world buildings they represent.   The textures are generic and the building heights may not be exact, depending on the availability of quality satellite and ground images.

Our dilemma right now has to do with packaging the products and splitting them into regions.   We have some ideas.  But, nothing is definite.     Our goal is to automate as much as possible, with few exceptions.   The more exceptions that have to be hand-drawn, the longer it takes to develop and the smaller the product regions will be.    Even though we can hand draw/place about 150 objects an hour from satellite images, this can take a long time (up to many months) if you have too many objects kicked out as exceptions.

I hope this helps clarify some things.   We have a lot of intelligent users on this board that can probably understand exactly what we are trying to do from this discussion.     The more educated our users are, the better we can deliver what you guys want.   And, the better chance we have of meeting your expectations.

Cheers !

Allen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alainneedle1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 9:19am

Thank you for the explaination, I now understand better.

John K View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2009 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by akriesman akriesman wrote:

Originally posted by Axelb9 Axelb9 wrote:

Finally also a tool that could solve the issue of autogenless photoscenery. BTW how are the green areas addressed inside a city such as parks, greens and trees alongside the roads?

Thanks Alex.   I am glad that you understand what it is we are trying to accomplish.

I actually started looking into this type of thing several years ago.   But, it has taken that long to work out a system that looks good, can be accomplished with reasonable amount of manual labor, and won't just kill frame rates.

City parks will mostly be provided by UTX, as they are now.   As we work on individual areas, we will add more detailed ground polygons as necessary (like we do with the parking lots here and other underlying terrain areas).    More or less trees could be added by changing a vector autogen entry associated with the houses.

Yes, this should work very well with photoscenery also.  Dean Mountford (FS Dreamscapes) and I are in touch often.   So, I can see a lot of our stuff working well with photoscenery.   Exept for the semi-custom drawn buildings, most other buildings won't overlay the photoscenery perfectly in most cases, because the precision of what we are providing won't be exact (but it is a big improvement over urban landclass).

This system is highly configurable from the users end.   So, you can do a lot of tuning for frame rates if necessary.

It will be great if this will help clean up some of the autogen problems when using photoscenery (I use some MegaSceneryX). Hopefully it will provide a better 3d look. And being that most of the UTX roads should already be alined with photoscenery roads, then so much the better.

John K

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alainneedle1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2009 at 5:13pm

Is it possible to get a picture of Miami Beach or FT-Lauderdale, I just would like to see it myself with all the good stuff on.

If this is like I think it will be I will buy it as soon as this is for sale, I already have my plastic in hand.

What is holding me back flying over these area is the lack of tall or medium building coverage around the cost and city.

Maybe I'm asking to much right now but one pic or two would be nice....

Thank you very much and keep the good work. 

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 1:48am
Originally posted by alainneedle1 alainneedle1 wrote:

Is it possible to get a picture of Miami Beach or FT-Lauderdale, I just would like to see it myself with all the good stuff on.

If this is like I think it will be I will buy it as soon as this is for sale, I already have my plastic in hand.

What is holding me back flying over these area is the lack of tall or medium building coverage around the cost and city.

Maybe I'm asking to much right now but one pic or two would be nice....

Thank you very much and keep the good work. 

We have only worked on a couple of small demo areas using the "Project X" technology.   So, I don't have a way of giving any custom screenshots yet.

Alaska will be the first product that makes use of this new technology.  After that, we will begin working on the rest of the USA.

It is going to be a while before this product is available for the entire USA.   At this point, I don't even want to take any guesses as to any release dates.

Allen

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 2:06am
Originally posted by John K John K wrote:

It will be great if this will help clean up some of the autogen problems when using photoscenery (I use some MegaSceneryX). Hopefully it will provide a better 3d look. And being that most of the UTX roads should already be alined with photoscenery roads, then so much the better.

John K

John,

Yes, the photoscenery support will be interesting with this product.     The houses and larger buildings should follow the photoscenery roads good enough.   However, they will not align with the building imprints in the photoscenery, except for cases where semi-custom buildings are drawn.  I don't think having the objects align perfectly with the building imprints in the photoscenery will be critical, as long as the appropriate objects are in the general vicinity and follow the roads.

The footprint data that Dean mentioned earlier is something that I have a lot of interest in also.   Footprint data actually has the building bases drawn already.   The "Project X" software that we have written can take any footprint and extract a 3D building model from it.    When we create semi-custom buildings, we basically draw our own footprints using satellite imagery and then run it thru our software.    Having the footprint data already available would eliminate 99% of the manual work needed for the semi-custom objects.

Building footprint data is probably the key to the future when it comes to developing accurate flight sim cities.   However, I don't believe that footprint data is available for many areas just yet, outside a few major USA cities.   It could take a while to get full coverage in the USA and Europe.   Also, having a custom object for each building footprint would probably kill perfomance right now in FSX.   We get around this performance issue with "Project X" by using libraries of predefined objects and vector autogen for a majority of the objects.

Hope this explanation helps.  

Allen

John K View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by akriesman akriesman wrote:

Originally posted by John K John K wrote:

John K

John,

Yes, the photoscenery support will be interesting with this product.     The houses and larger buildings should follow the photoscenery roads good enough.   However, they will not align with the building imprints in the photoscenery, except for cases where semi-custom buildings are drawn.  I don't think having the objects align perfectly with the building imprints in the photoscenery will be critical, as long as the appropriate objects are in the general vicinity and follow the roads.

The footprint data that Dean mentioned earlier is something that I have a lot of interest in also.   Footprint data actually has the building bases drawn already.   The "Project X" software that we have written can take any footprint and extract a 3D building model from it.    When we create semi-custom buildings, we basically draw our own footprints using satellite imagery and then run it thru our software.    Having the footprint data already available would eliminate 99% of the manual work needed for the semi-custom objects.

Building footprint data is probably the key to the future when it comes to developing accurate flight sim cities.   However, I don't believe that footprint data is available for many areas just yet, outside a few major USA cities.   It could take a while to get full coverage in the USA and Europe.   Also, having a custom object for each building footprint would probably kill perfomance right now in FSX.   We get around this performance issue with "Project X" by using libraries of predefined objects and vector autogen for a majority of the objects.

Hope this explanation helps.  

Yes I understand that you won't be able to place autogen buildings in their proper 'footprint' like GEX does with the texture tiles. Besides making the UTX products look even better, I also want it to make photoscenery look better, which it looks like your trying to do. Keep up the good work, speaking of which, please get back to it!!! Wink

John K

boleyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boleyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 8:33am
The general landclass, as I understand it, is 1km x 1km. This can distort the reality of some elements such as smaller towns or cities. Also, can extend a city across a river where there is nothing on the other side. Cracking the 1km x 1km landclass barrier would be a fine accomplishment. Probably hard coded but who knows.....Star

Dick   near airport 5G8
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 11:02pm

Originally posted by boleyd boleyd wrote:

The general landclass, as I understand it, is 1km x 1km. This can distort the reality of some elements such as smaller towns or cities. Also, can extend a city across a river where there is nothing on the other side. Cracking the 1km x 1km landclass barrier would be a fine accomplishment. Probably hard coded but who knows.....Star

Jeff and I (and I think Holger) have discussed the 1km x 1km landclass limitation with the Aces team at a previous developers conference.

I had hoped that the landclass precision could have at least been improved to double what it is now (500m) in FS11 (before FS11 was cancelled).   But, what I heard was this was going to be very difficult with the way the current FS engine was designed.

Project 'X' completely eliminates the need for landclass, except for the underlying vegetation that shows thru (grass, forests, etc).    So, the only limitation in accuracy with this system is in the data that is used.

Allen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c152flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2009 at 4:18pm
"Project 'X' completely eliminates the need for landclass, except for the underlying vegetation that shows thru (grass, forests, etc)"

Allen, if that is the case, if are already using UTX and it's landclass, would project X eliminate that landclass or at least some of it.  I know you mentioned that UTX and project X would play nice but it seems like project X would remove the need for a portion of what UTX does/
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2009 at 12:30am

Project 'X' would eliminate the NEED for the urban landclass portion of UTX.    But, all other parts of UTX (roads, water, ground polys) will enhance project 'X'.

For Alaska, where we will combine both UTX and Project 'X' features, we will still provide urban landclass for those that want it.   But, it will be turned off by default.

Alaska is the only product that will combine features from 2 products (UTX and Project X).   This is because Alaska has a limited number of urban areas.   In Alaska, we will even be hand working the very small remote airport villages and outposts.

We really need to decide on a more permanent name for Project X.   'Ultimate Cityscapes' is the frontrunner right now.

Hey, we have to put the word 'Ultimate' in the title somewhere Wink

Allen

kiwikat View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 9:29am
Don't forget the "X" either...

Because we REALLY need another 3 letter acronym ending with X.

I've got a quick question.  Will there be any trees in neighborhoods or just in areas determined by the vegetation landclasses?  I see there are SOME trees in the previews but how are they implemented and how will they work in a larger city where only residential areas have trees?

I can't wait to see some more screenshots! Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alainneedle1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 11:00am

Originally posted by kiwikat kiwikat wrote:

I've got a quick question.  Will there be any trees in neighborhoods or just in areas determined by the vegetation landclasses?  I see there are SOME trees in the previews but how are they implemented and how will they work in a larger city where only residential areas have trees?

Yeah! more eyes candy..........

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 10:40pm

Originally posted by kiwikat kiwikat wrote:

Trees can be defined in both the landclass and along with the housing objects (using vector autogen).   Although, there are some limits as to how the trees can be defined using the vector autogen method.

The next best chance for screenshots will take place when we get to the "project X" part of Alaska.     Anchorage, Fairbanks and a couple other large Alaskan cities will use the vector-housing methods you have seen discussed in this thread.   The smaller villages, towns and seaports will have hand-placed houses using the semi-custom object part of project X.

Working on the "Project X" parts of Alaska are going to be a lot of fun.   Right now, we are still working on the UTX parts of Alaska.  

Allen

steve_1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 2:13pm

This all looks incredibly impressive - I can't wait to try out UTX Alaska.

What does it look like on a lower powered computer where you have to reduce the number of autogen objects to run it at a decent frame rate?

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by steve_1979 steve_1979 wrote:

This all looks incredibly impressive - I can't wait to try out UTX Alaska.

What does it look like on a lower powered computer where you have to reduce the number of autogen objects to run it at a decent frame rate?

Even if you turn off the autogen, it is an improvement because you still see the housing imprints that follow the roads (housing imprints are the 2D picture of the house embedded in the terrain).   The number of houses displayed is directly related to the autogen slider in FSX.

Allen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c152flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 3:15pm
Allen,
i hate when people do this but here i go...
how are things going on the Project X portion of UTX Alaska?  I am not looking for a time line to completion but just wanted an update on how things are working out so when this becomes a stand alone project, we will have some idea of how things may look.  a few before and after shots in Alaska would be great when they are ready.
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2009 at 4:06pm

The UTX part of Alaska is 90% complete.    We are now working on the Project X portion (Project X name still not final).

The finished product will be called "Ultimate Alaska".  I think it will live up to its name ;)

Things are looking great.    Right now, we are concentrating efforts on populating Kodiak, Alaska using all the new tools we have developed (for alpha testing).    I think that I should have some screenshots of the area in about a week or so.   First, I am working on some unique texture sets for Alaskan buildings.

The Kodiak region test is important, because we have plans to handle about 250 other Alaska cities and airports the same way.  

Because most of the Alaskan cities and airports are smallish in size, they are all being created using our proprietary Ultimate Objects Development System.   This is the scenery-generating software product that has been in development for over a year or so now.  

We will not be using any POI data in Alaska.   Buildings will all be placed by hand or generated using the "dynamic region" philosophy mentioned earlier.

FWIW, I don't have any further information on how the Ultimate Objects Development System will be used after Alaska.   The exact plans are still being discussed.

For naming clarification:

• UTX = Ultimate Terrain = Non-3D object, terrain based, scenery enhancements.
  • UODS = Ultimate Objects Development System = The proprietary software that we created to generate 3D objects from satellite imagery and other forms of data, in a way that is 100's of times faster than creating and placing custom models created with an off-the-shelf 3D modeling package.
  • Project X = Ultimate Cityscapes ? = Commercial scenery packages created with our UODS software.    We are still looking for the perfect name.   But, "Ultimate Cityscapes" is probably the front-runner right now for lack of better choices.   We are always open to suggestions :)
  • Ultimate Alaska = Our new product for Alaska that will combine both Ultimate Terrain X features with Project X features (or whatever name we use to represent Project X).

Allen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c152flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2009 at 4:10pm
looking forward to the screenshots.  please, if you could, show some as before sand after shots so we can see exactly what the product is adding. Big%20smile
kyle
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2009 at 4:14pm
Absolutely.   The difference will be stunning.
Allen

steve_1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2009 at 6:04am

I like the name Ultimate Cityscapes X and UCX has a nice ring to it.

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2009 at 5:31pm

Originally posted by steve_1979 steve_1979 wrote:

I like the name Ultimate Cityscapes X and UCX has a nice ring to it.

Thanks.  That is the name we are leaning towards.  It is appropriate, even if somewhat boring.

Allen

signmanbob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signmanbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 1:05pm
This is Great! To be able to fly low and actually see things that are recognizable to the real world in FSX really raises the attraction of VFR flight.
Software like what you are doing here is exactly what I hoped to see coming when I heard MS closed Aces Studio and dropped future developement.
I actually breathed a sigh of relief because I knew that now the best payware addon developers would start really exploring the possibilities available within FSX, using it just as a catalyst or platform for their new technologies.
With addon developers like you FSX is becoming totally unrecognizable from its natural bland state.
Congratulations on this outstanding project. I can't wait to start loading it up.
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 12:53am

Thanks.   FSX is definitely not dead.  However, 3rd party developers are going to have to continuously find some creative ways to work around certain limitations in the final FSX engine.    But, we are up for the challenge ;)

I have a lot of respect for the Aces team.  It is too bad they never had a chance to release FS11.    On the other hand, the current delay in MSFS production gives us developers a chance to really see what we can do with the current product, without having to port all our existing sceneries to the next version of the same product.

Allen

Flying'sCool! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying'sCool! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2009 at 7:06pm

How about Ultimate Landscapes X?

I guess I would hope it would be released by region rather than city.  i.e.

New England (I'm sure the first product you'll release after Alaska, right :) )
New York/NJ
Mid-Atlantic
SouthEast
FL
CA
Rockies
NorthWest
Autoland
Mid-West
Texas, split Canada in two or something, etc.

I imagine each region would be about ~$50 with discounts for multiple simultaneous purchases? or maybe as high as ~$75 for one, $125 for two, $150 for 3, something like that.  Given the work involved for you, I hope that might be a good balance between "profit" (ha ha) and affordability to fly a large region.

P.S. I'm not asking you to commit to anything, just adding my opinion for taking or leaving

Thomas Perry

akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2009 at 10:56am

Thanks for the suggestions Thomas.    The work on Alaska is giving us a pretty good indication of how much work will be needed to populate other, much more urban regions.    We are going to have to rely on more automation in the other regions, very similar to the Project-X stuff described in this thread.   In Alaska we are probably trying to get a little too detailed, especially in the large cities (Anchorage, Fairbanks, etc). 

I can see 2 levels of products in the future.   One level uses "mostly" automation to position appropriate objects.   This method relies on POI data for businesses and hand-categorized regions for the houses (most of the manual labor involved).   Hopefully, we can break this type of product up into pretty large regions (smaller than the entire USA, but large).

The next type of enhanced product will provide more detailed, smaller cities using semi-custom models (with extruded buildings from hand-drawn footprints and hand-placed generic buildings).     This type of product would be released in smaller regions.

The reason for the two types of products, is that I think a lot of people will be happy enough with the POI placed features.   But others, will want more of a hand-drawn approach.

Nothing concrete yet.  These are just ideas right now.   But, the ideas are firming up.

Allen

TexasAirwaysCEO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAirwaysCEO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2013 at 4:41am
Can you please put the hospitals in?
Blaine Peacock
momo737 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2013 at 7:58am
I guess it was only an idea. ..
akriesman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akriesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by momo737 momo737 wrote:

I guess it was only an idea. ..

Actually, some of these ideas were implemented in UTX Alaska and the detailed ports in UTX TAC.   But, there is a lot more we are still looking at.   The problem has been free time.   The last 1 1/2 years have been spent on UTX TAC and then patches for Europe, USA, TAC and Alaska (almost ready).    As soon as the last patch is complete (UTX Canada), we are going to be moving forward again with some newer ideas.
Allen

momo737 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2013 at 4:14pm
Thanks Allen

But, it would be nice to have the full product.

It looks amazing!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic