SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MS Flight Simulator 11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 808182
Author
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:24pm

Quick Message From Our Sponsor…

TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:49pm
Two 1TB M.2 NVMe drives are buried in the mobo of my new computer, each under a screwed in heatsink attached by thermal tape.  It was weird installing drives in this manner, thinking "this is NOT easily accessible".  Fortunately their temps seem decently managed, thanks for prompting me to give this a close look.

I also have a 512GB PCIe x4 NVMe drive for my FSX-SE install (well worth the loss of 2 sata ports).  It was once the win7 system drive in my old 4770k build, a bios mod made it bootable.

Moving along...more blasts from the radio past, first a rather obscure jazzy mid 60s song, one which as a young teenager I heard and it stuck with me forever.  I had no idea its name nor who did it and neither have I heard it since the early 70s, that is until google dredged it up a little over a decade ago for a joyous reunion:

Jerry Jeff Walker got his start in that 60s band; here's one of his most beloved songs.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0/4.7, Asus Maximus XII Hero, 2x16GB DDR4 3600 cas 15, evga 1070 gtx SC, Thermaltake TP 850W PSU, Noctua NH-D15S HSF

Win 10 Pro 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:58pm
Its just like real estate, location.. location.. location

Mine is buried behind the audio DAC and Revo drive and located on the board right next to the chipset so it has a triple whammy working against it even with a high volume fan on the door.

The top m.2 is just under the CPU as shown but I needed every SATA port as the Corsair AIO uses one too.

Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 11 minutes ago at 9:37pm
Yeah I get it!LOL
Will your outline work with a Z370 board?

You board is Z390 right?

i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 37 minutes ago at 10:11pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

mutha-stinking Microsoft!

I turned off all that customer experience data collection crap, killed all the tasks, killed the telemetry service driving it as well as all the remoted desktop junk,.. and after a Windows update MS turned it all back on.

I would like to bet the angle on the Xbox beta thing is to get the person to agree to be monitored while using the games or their simulator and allow data collection. I don't believe for a second the use of that to circumvent the hard sale price doesn't come without the huge MS back-door gotcha LOL

Here is another good one..  I just did my quarterly cleanup, update drivers, check for BIOS update, etc, then tried to run the Windows image backup..   FAILED

Device not accessible, Backup Application Failure, code after code. 

Apparently at some point I lost OWNERSHIP of ALL my hard drives. Every System Volume Information folder had been taken over by MS and I had to rip ownership back and then I could use the trusty Windows 7 system image backup in Windows 10

Honest to god..  this is getting BAD

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 34 minutes ago at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Avidean Avidean wrote:

Yeah I get it!LOL
Will your outline work with a Z370 board?

You board is Z390 right?

I have no idea. All I can do is post it... and let you smoke it. LOL

Seriously, if it isn't a 9700K on a similar system I can't tell you what will happen or if it will work the same as it does for me. 

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 9 minutes ago at 10:39pm
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 3 minutes ago at 10:45pm
I gave up on the Win7 image backup a long time ago, even when I ran Win7. #1 reason: image backup will only works on drives no bigger than 2T.  Been an acronis user for years, and so far zero problems, including restoring system boot drives using a recovery CD boot.  Recently migrated to acronis 2017 when I started using NVMe boot drives since earlier versions didn't support NVMe on their recovery boot CDs.  BTW, I'm curious if you found a work around for the 2T limit.

When I physically moved my huge HDD from my old to new computer I ran into ownership issues that were both quite maddening and inconsistent.  I did find a solution, though it was a deep dive into the permission settings which had the complexity of rocket science. Fn' A' MS, what up with this S't?  Oh, I see...guaranteed need for IT certification to understand this crap...what else is it really needed for?
Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0/4.7, Asus Maximus XII Hero, 2x16GB DDR4 3600 cas 15, evga 1070 gtx SC, Thermaltake TP 850W PSU, Noctua NH-D15S HSF

Win 10 Pro 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 56 minutes ago at 10:52pm
Don't have to deal with the 2T limit. I only image the Windows drive with the supporting OS partitions. 

All personal data folders are on another drive moved through Windows and the registry, those directories back up to the internal primary which in turn is duplicated to the external.. redundancy is the key to never losing the farm.

Same with the Flightsim drive. Goes to internal and duplicated to external.

I have separate drive dock for moving and storing off the system and keep the primary trimmed as time passes. 

I don't use images for data backup, I use redundancy, with software that verifies the source and the target to remove any corruption possibilities. 

Win7 image recovery worked perfect last time I had to use it..  Boot Windows 10, recovery options, recover from image.. select image(s). It requires all Windows system drives be backed up but on recovery allows selection and only what is needed for recovery.  If a driver is needed for the drives or controllers, that's offered in the ADD DRIVERS option in the recovery consoled box. Just browse to the directory for the drivers on the system.

Unless something has changed that is how it worked in the past. This is the first time I ran into the ownership issue. Once I figured out what was going on it was fast and easy to fix, I just had to repeat it on 7 drive/partitions.

Probably the Windows v2004 downgrade

f**kin microsoft. 

Perhaps I should do a trial by fire test. Back up the Windows drive with 3rd party, trip the full reset on the SSD's and then do a recovery to verify the system still works like it had for many years. 

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 54 minutes ago at 10:54pm
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 28 minutes ago at 12:20am
Looking at the price of Z390 motherboards, I'm thinking the end is Nigh!LOL
i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 18 minutes ago at 8:30am
Samsung Magician won't work with the Samsung EVO960 I have installed on my home XPS8390. It says it is using an Intel driver and needs the Samsung or Microsoft driver. Which if I try to install, fails. It may be because I migrated the Toshiba 512GB SSD that came with the computer, to the EVO960 1TB once I saw the 512 was not going to be sufficient.

Anyway, I have downloaded a hardware monitor program to run on it tonight when I get home. Running on my office XPS8390, the SSD runs nice and cool even with my resource-hungry software running, which is nowhere as hungry as gaming software is. So that's good news.
John Patterson
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 35 minutes ago at 10:13am

If its in the 50's it should be fine and I have seen claims that high temps are ok with those drives but my rule is any solid state device that hits 60-65c needs either a better thermal heatsink, active cooling or both.

I read some folks were seeing temps in the 70s with those things..   tooooo hot for me! Big smile

Nick, do you have an active cooler you would recommend for an SSD? Mine is a Samsung 960 EVO.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 4 minutes ago at 1:44pm
Something isn't right. According to Samsung the drive is supported with the magician software. 

I have the EVO 970 Plus 500. I went to the Samsung website and obtained both the driver and the latest magician software when I installed it. The Magician software keeps the firmware and the driver up to date from there. 

You will find the driver (scroll down) with any special install instructions on this page https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/   The latest magician software is there too.

As for active cooling..   only if the drive needs it.  If the temp of the drive is less than 60c under several hard benchmark runs back to back then it should be just fine. Above that temp I would get some air over it.  When I tested mine it was hitting 65c-68c but it is also buried as I imaged above and marked in the image with a yellow rectangle. So yes, I put active cooling on mine with a very thin small fan. 

Your drive should have the magician software installed, proper provisioning set as well as trim. 

Why, if it is the right driver as linked above, it will not install is strange. 

I don't know if that is firmware issue (perhaps the firmware is old) a Dell issue, or something to do with a conflict. 

Do be careful though. If you have a full current image of the drive you can restore, that's good but if not some items such as firmware upgrades can be dangerous. Usually not but best to take precautions with SSD's.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 37 minutes ago at 2:11pm

Looking at the price of Z390 motherboards, I'm thinking the end is Nigh!LOL

I would think the setup I use would work the same as long as all the BIOS settings I outline are found and set as I define. The rest is up to the user to verify while being tested as I outline.

When I get a new system or even a new CPU I just don't throw it together and roll. Drivers are installed in the right order and are confirmed, firmware updates if needed, Windows crap update is confirmed, power profile settings are confirmed, etc.

With XMP set and verified memory speed/timing on a default BIOS and no automated performance crap set in the BIOS I always run a BURN TEST session using modern Intel software and processor testing tools as well as memory testing. If there are defective components or other issues, I will find them.

If I was going to delid the CPU I would do all of the above first, confirm I have a stable base system, then tear it down do the delid go direct to die on these new processors with any special mounts needed and once its back together and DO THE BURN AND MEMORY TESTS AT DEFAULT ALL OVER AGAIN. 

Not installing right and not running such tests before any kind of screwing around with a clock is idiotic. They can tell you if there is a problem with you CPU/memory or board and get them replaced if needed, and also point to possible cooling solution issues such as installation problems or efficiency issues, etc. That sets the stage so when I move to clock the system I know I have stable base to start with and I probably wont be pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I am stuck at a certain point. 

Past the Intel burn testing and tools used above, for overclock testing and setup we only need FOUR TOOLS:

1. HWMonitor x64 (latest release)

2. OCCT v4.5.1   <--- NO OTHER VERSION! There is a reason for that!

3. CPUz (latest release)

4. HCI Design Memtest  -  The paid version is worth the money and makes the job easy

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 58 minutes ago at 3:50pm
Nick, what I get is a message saying that Samsung Magician can't determine the temp of the SSD because it is using an Intel driver instead of a Samsung or Microsoft driver. How that happened, I can't tell you because that EVO960 was created by Samsung Magician through its migration software. Anyway I found a freeware program (OpenHardwareMonitor) that seems to work. I'll try it out on my home 8390 tonight under a heavy load and see what happens. That is the one that would be the most likely to run hot, if its going to.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 38 minutes ago at 4:10pm
If its under 60c its fine. I would just make sure its provisioned and trim is enabled past that if its working great. Ain't broke, don't fix it.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 53 minutes ago at 5:55pm
I loaded up P3D in KDTW with an iFLy 737 plus all the toys I run alongside P3D. Highest temp was 41c. I ain't touchin' it.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 6 minutes ago at 6:42pm
Run benchmarks..  do not assume normal use to check drive temp. 

If you run 3 back to back from this little software and it stays nice and cool, (under 60) yer fine. Use the temp monitor software with the following:

Unzip and run the EXE: Diskinfo64.exe

Just click the ALL (top green box) under FILE  SETTINGS   let it run and hit again right away when it finishes, then again. Watch the temp readout in your other software.

Works a champ and here is why we verify this: https://www.maketecheasier.com/does-nvme-ssd-need-heatsink/   (although the reasoning is correct, that web post was to sell sh*t)

There can be a lot of different reasons why the drives can run too hot or begin to run too hot without our knowledge.

Under 50c with full load testing is totally sweet and what is recommended for maximum SSD longevity although spiking into the 50's is ok. If its 60 or above, chill it down.

Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 5 minutes ago at 6:43pm
Originally posted by cal2177 cal2177 wrote:

I loaded up P3D in KDTW with an iFLy 737 plus all the toys I run alongside P3D. Highest temp was 41c. I ain't touchin' it.

John, you should overclock it and overvolt it until you can fry an egg on it!LOL

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 34 minutes ago at 7:14pm

Run benchmarks..  do not assume normal use to check drive temp. 

If you run 3 back to back from this little software and it stays nice and cool, (under 60) yer fine. Use the temp monitor software with the following:

Unzip and run the EXE: Diskinfo64.exe

Just click the ALL (top green box) under FILE  SETTINGS   let it run and hit again right away when it finishes, then again. Watch the temp readout in your other software.

Works a champ and here is why we verify this: https://www.maketecheasier.com/does-nvme-ssd-need-heatsink/   (although the reasoning is correct, that web post was to sell sh*t)

There can be a lot of different reasons why the drives can run too hot or begin to run too hot without our knowledge.

Under 50c with full load testing is totally sweet and what is recommended for maximum SSD longevity although spiking into the 50's is ok. If its 60 or above, chill it down.

Got it, Nick. I'll run the water out of it tomorrow with that software. Thanks, Nick.
John Patterson
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 33 minutes ago at 7:15pm

Originally posted by cal2177 cal2177 wrote:

John, you should overclock it and overvolt it until you can fry an egg on it!LOL

I'm not that brave. lol

John Patterson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 808182
  Share Topic