SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MS Flight Simulator 11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rennman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 1:58pm
Of course. New simulators are built more for future hardware...May I ask, how did you get a 5.3ghz? The company I'm working with (Ironside) doesn't seem to offer anything over a 3.9.
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by rennman rennman wrote:

Of course. New simulators are built more for future hardware...May I ask, how did you get a 5.3ghz? The company I'm working with (Ironside) doesn't seem to offer anything over a 3.9.

Getting the mechanical stuff right is a prerequisite. I.e. the right CPU cooler, the right case, the right Thermal compound. Putting it all together with care and precision. I my case I lapped both the IHS and cooler to a 3000 grit copper finish and assembled the whole thing using Coolaboratories Liquid Pro. I also replaced the TIM in the CPU which requires Deliding on a 8700K (not 9 series though). Getting the best possible thermal conductivity away from the CPU and being lucky enough to win the silicon lottery is the first step. If that doesn't pan out none of the other good stuff is going to happen. It's a step by step process. If you are going to do your own build take one step at a time with an eye as you go on what the next one is and an outline plan that includes all the parts you are going to use. There is a lot of expertise available online but like everything else a lot of the experts are not experts and the even the real experts don't agree on everything. So you have to make a decision on who's lead to follow. I'm not an expert in anything.LOL This system was not my first rodeo or may second or my third or forth. I've put together quite a few. Like anything else you get better at it. Much of it is above my head. I'm not a numbers guy. With this system I found a set of recommended bios base setting from a reliable source and pushed for 5.3ghz from there which was my target. I got some pointer on voltages to trim. Its all nice and stable and cool now after working on it for a while.  In 3DMark this system scores in the top 3 percent. It took quite a bit of work and patience to achieve that not to mention luck but if the best a system builder can offer you is 3.9ghz then you might as well buy the parts and do it yourself. A blindfolded monkey could achieve that.
i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus
rennman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rennman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 6:47am
Thanks for this information. I admit that I'm hearing some of these terms for the first time!
But at the least, the liquid/air cooling dilemma is now solved for me!

Also, this is what Ironside said about the CPU...

"...the Intel i5-9600K runs at 3.7 GHz base, meaning it will run ~3.7 GHz or less while idle or under minimal load and can go up to 4.6GHz when it needs the extra power! The processor will eventually drop its clock speed from that 4.6 GHz to something lower once it no longer needs the extra power, or it gets too hot. This is all in place to help maintain a healthy temperature with your processor and save a lot of power by not having it maxed out when it doesn't need to be."
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 3:12pm
Getting to 5.3 stable is not something simple or easy to achieve. I use the word 'stable' because many do it and are not stable at that speed because they do not know what they are doing or how to verify the stability. They see that number, the system isn't blue-screening or crashing and they assume they are fine. Instead they experience all sorts of strange issue they equate to the sim instead of the stability of the clock.

It takes a very specific methodology in hardware selection and construction as well as a knowledge of setup and testing to do it safe, stable and correctly.

I run a 9700K @ 5.2GHZ 24/7 on all 8 physical cores with zero drop in CPU speed from that regardless of load, ever. Although the way I clock I use variable CPU voltage based on load, … I do not use the automated speed reduction systems because those can also cause strange performance problems.

Honestly, there are very few in the public industry that can or are even willing to build a system and clock it like that for 'sale' because once it leaves their hands they know the person purchasing the system has no idea what they are doing should something go wrong or come up.

So with system builders you must take what you can get, but one thing they will do is go cheap on things like memory speed/timing and charge the client a huge markup. Just because they might offer DDR4 4000 doesn't mean its worth it if the timing of that memory makes it no faster than DDR4 3200.

rennman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rennman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 3:46pm
Thanks again Nick. Most useful info as usual...

This just in from Ironside..."If you are looking for the best gaming CPU then the stock speeds of the 9900k would be plenty for any game that you can throw at it."

I don't know if they are familiar with the hardware demands of flight simulation with max settings and heavy add-ons!
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 7:36pm

I don't know if they are familiar with the hardware demands of flight simulation with max settings and heavy add-ons!

Their not! LOL
i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 12:31am

This just in from Ironside..."If you are looking for the best gaming CPU then the stock speeds of the 9900k would be plenty for any game that you can throw at it."

TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 1:11pm
Took a close look at customizing a computer on the Ironside web site.  Too much glitz, so little relevant information.  Selecting detailed info on their DDR4 options returns "information not available"...WTF? Angry  (I agree with NickN's assessment)

If you don't want to build yourself, find a local computer shop (and not a big box like Best Buy) to do it for you, if possible.  And before getting started on that, learn about the components and what their specs mean.  If you are not willing to deal with that level of detail, you will never get the best for what you spend.

BTW, here's an example of a DDR4 kit that absolutely screams "the Best".  If only 2x16GB kits could do that...Cry

And here's a decent overview of overclocking a 9900k.  Though a 5k ft. view, it covers the basics in good detail, a great lead-in for drilling into OC details using google.

Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 7:26pm
Nice memory sticks...    that's not a bad price either. Heck I would go for those.
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2020 at 8:20pm
Indeed it would be nice to get a couple of 16gb modules with those numbers.
I read somewhere a while back that they where on the way from GSkill but I cant
remember where.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2020 at 11:43pm
It would be nice, but I'm not sure what BS marketing postings you are referring to. You won't get individual 16GB modules with those numbers today or anytime soon.

The higher the memory amount,.... the lower the memory speed/timing possible with solid CPU overclock.

If we want top-end clock and memory performance...   we can't run 4 sticks above 4x4 'or' 2 sticks above 2x8 which is better! Past that we give up stable CPU speed and also memory speed/timing, the critical factors to the Flightsim application (all versions)

and for what?   for some memory consuming crazy addon airport or other addon to run it, and then complain like everyone else about how it 'takes so much'..   and then they have to give up AI or something else to TRY to accomplish their goal and it is still iffy at best?

Where exactly did they get what they expected or paid for?  This has been the same since FSX was released.

I don't see folks running 32GB and above happy as a pig in sh*t. LOL Thumbs Up

Here's thar'e sign!  (not yours)

I HATE STUPID PEOPLE! <Bill Engvall>
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 1:43am
LOL I wonder how much Asobo are getting paid by the memory manufactures to lead everyone to believe that the new flight sim will require 32gb of DRAM. I kid you not there are plenty over on the dark side that are upgrading to 32gb because they believe that is what is required to get an Alpha testing invite.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 1:58am
You must be a 1st class egotistical idiot (and not a real hardware tech) to throw money to memory amounts/speeds into something that could be accomplished for 260 USD, and without any memory tuning or CPU stability headaches. Granted the money required  a year or so back was higher, however if the money is spent on the right memory hardware from the get-go, it's well spent.

But then there are the gods and experts …   LOL

If you throw money the right way and you know what you are doing, you get results. Follow a jackass,...  and you get screwed.

Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 2:15am
LOL We should call you Nick the Merciless! LOLLOL
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 2:22am
You can call me anything you like  LOL   Big smile

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 8:11am
My father used to say, "Call me anything you want as long as you remember to call me to dinner."LOL
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 1:52pm
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

Hahahahahaaaa WhaaaahahahahahaLOL
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:18pm
Waiter, I'll have mine hoofed please. Beer

Waiter, I've also heard stories about your bartender. People say he's not a slow bartender nor fast, he's just half-fast." LOL

Around where I live, the joke is: "You can call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner".  I can't recall how often I've said that, and I've always made it to the dinner table on time.
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 7:46pm
BeerAnyone for a nice wonton noodle horseshoe bat soup?Sick
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Avidean Avidean wrote:

BeerAnyone for a nice wonton noodle horseshoe bat soup?Sick
You cant say that!!!..   its not acceptable today and you should be ashamed!

Try:

Anyone for some savory Asian noodle fetlock eutherian soup?

If you post something like that again I will have no choice but to ban you after laff'in my arse off

it still sounds disgusting. Personally, I prefer; Long Duk Dong 

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 6:35pm
I hate this lock down stuff!!

Just be careful out there because people are going crazy from being in lock down!

Actually I've just been talking about this with the microwave and toaster while drinking here and we all agreed that things are getting bad. I didn't mention anything to the washing machine as she puts a different spin on everything. Certainly not to the fridge as he is acting cold and distant. In the end the iron straightened me out as she said everything will be fine, no situation is too pressing. The vacuum was very unsympathetic... told me to just suck it up, but the fan was more optimistic and hoped it would all soon blow over!

The toilet looked a bit flushed when I asked its opinion and didn’t say anything but the door knob told me to get a grip. The front door said I was unhinged and so the curtains told me to … pull myself together.

Ronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 8:04pm
I always talk to my appliances,
In my case, the microwave and toaster agreed that things were heating up. The carpet is in complete denial,  said it's all a cover up. Big smile
Ronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 9:16pm
Sadly,  it's been announced that the much anticipated,  'Michael Jackson look alike'  competition has been cancelled.   Officials say, they were not expecting the massive numbers of entries.

Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 10:37pm
You guys are insane and funny.LOL
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 10:31am
A couple in India has named their newborn twins Corona and Covid. No joke. True story.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 12:27pm
Going through the grocery line over the last 2 months I usually ask if I can get a case of Corona there.

They always say.. sure, we have it! 

Then it sinks in.

The sad thing is they still fall for it even with me wearing a N95 mask and medical gloves
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 12:41pm
That's the other item I noticed too..  anyone over 45, and definitely over 50, is wearing something and talking space precautions where anyone under 45, and especially under 35, walks around like its just another day in paradise. Gee, I wonder how this got around so fast. Remember we were all told most 2 months ago young'uns would see no symptoms or it just be a mild flu at worse, its no big deal.

Excellent way to spread the word and get that Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid and chronic illness insurance burden herd culling off to the best start possible.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 1:08pm
I was raised learning to camp, hunt, fish, trap, clean game, store and prepare it.

These little snots today think hunting and fishing is locating a open Burger King or Long John Silvers.  AND they can't do it without a phone or computer! LOL Big smile

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 1:20pm
We have a lot of Doves here right now. When I look at them during a situation like this,.. I don't see pretty birds, I see a mess of easy pick'ins chicken fingers! LOL
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:16pm
I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but!LOL
It is plausible that this whole thing is a biological/economic
warfare move on the part of the worlds ruling cabals.
At least that's what Alex Jones say's.ErmmLOL

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:33pm

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but!LOL
It's is plausible that this whole thing is a biological/economic
warfare move on the part of the worlds ruling cabals.

I've been thinking the same thing. The panic and fear being spread does not match the outbreak.
John Patterson
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 4:05pm
Well I've been watching this for the last week or so:
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

And it leads me to believe that the government and the media is bullsh*tting us!
WHAT? never! I hear you say. LOL

It seem to me that the death rate of a disease is determined by the denominator (those who are fully recovered from the disease) and the numerator (those who died from the disease).

I'll let you do the math for yourselves.CryDead
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 5:12pm
As my father always said: "Follow the money, then apply Occam's Razor"

Please don't go there. Big difference between a complete whack job that belongs in a mental facility and logical thinking using facts and real experience.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 5:29pm
Death rate 1.5%, recovery rate 25%. Something isn't adding up right.
John Patterson
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

As my father always said: "Follow the money, then apply Occam's Razor"

Please don't go there. Big difference between a complete whack job that belongs in a mental facility and logical thinking using facts and real experience.

"complete whack job" Eh! And this is coming from the guy who talks to his toaster, Microwave and door knobs! LOL Just kidding, for sure Alex Jones is to be taken with a very large pinch of salt but even a broken clock is right twice a day.LOL

Follow the Money for sure that's the route to the source of the con. But I'm skeptical when it comes to application of Occam's Razor.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by cal2177 cal2177 wrote:

Death rate 1.5%, recovery rate 25%. Something isn't adding up right.

It will be months before any real data is available to make assessments.

Between now and then Mark Twain said it best.. Lies, damned lies, and statistics

My assessment is pretty simple. How did something that started in Wuhan China end up all over the world, and most important, in locations that still practice ritual forms of cannibalism... in less than 90 days.

and on board aircraft carriers!! Where a USN Captain was willing to throw his career away in order to get the word out.

I didn't realize enough travel was taking place to/from Wuhan to get nearly every spec of the globe covered that fast.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 7:27pm

for sure Alex Jones is to be taken with a very large pinch of salt but even a broken clock is right twice a day.LOL

Sorry.. when a broken clock terrorizes the parents of a kindergarten class through denial that it ever happened and who were shot up by a another whack job, or, that it was all a government job, and his followers did even more damage to those parents as well..   that broken clock needs to be put down like a mad dog.  period

I wouldn't listen to a single thing that trash has to say. He should be in the mental ward of a prison, not on the air.

and that is why I said.. please don't go there.

"complete whack job"

Speaking of complete whack jobs, anyone heard from Glenn Beck lately? LOL At least he was an entertaining whack job!
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 9:19pm
Just got back from the grocery store... things are looking up!

Uploaded this video from the phone... http://gex.flight1.net/forumimages/Grocery_Shopping.mp4
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 9:44pm
Priceless! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 33>
  Share Topic