SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MS Flight Simulator 11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 6:14pm
I have seen Zorro The Gay Blade and it was funny.

I'll give you another one. Star Trek - Whom Gods Destroy with Yvonne Craig as Marta

John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 9:37pm
Funny you should mention that episode

The reason why it was canned by CBS was because of another group who used that exact story to create Prelude to Axanar (2014)               

Which would be the battle GARTH was famous for before he was locked up as a madman.

Admiral Ramirez discusses building the Starfleet, Garth of Izar discusses his rise to fame, and the Klingon supreme warlord Kharn gives the Klingon view of the war.

… except they were hiring real serious Hollywood Star Trek actors, shooting in HD, paying the actors who you will recognize in the video above, (including Richard Hatch from BSG).. and rubbing it into CBS's face as well as bragging about how they had raised well over 1M for production and counting, but never said a word about 501c4 and charity.

In the end, the egotistical little Censored who pulled this stunt, posts videos that suggests he won in court and settlement except that is a lie and instead now everyone must limit their productions to so many minutes per..  and can NOT do 2-3-4 of the same subject so they cant get around the rule by going to the next video with the same subject…

Unfortunately, that ruined it for everyone.   And a lot of people who were getting charitable funds.

CBS was kind enough to allow Star Trek Continues to produce a few more episodes to try and finish the series that was started.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 1:43am
The last true 'epic' move ever shot in my opinion was, EXCALIBUR

Was the John Boorman twist on a epic tale. His daughter played 'Igraine' mother of Arthur

Nigel Terry
Helen Mirren
Patrick Stewart 
Liam Neeson
Nicholas Clay
Nicol Williamson

I would put Excalibur up there with the classic epics.

On the flip side,...   I would put Dudley Moore's first 'Arthur' movie up there as one of the most iconic funny romps. Sir John Gielgud was classic.

Jymp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jymp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 6:32am
Ok, from what I'm reading so far ??,  this new MSFS is going to be available on MS Game Pass ?, basically pay 5 bucks a month for access to all MS games Halo etc. including the new MSFS, now could it be possible that MS will allow the PC version sim to be bought separate, say for 75-100 bucks whatever the ask for it standalone ?, I know I know, all speculation, maybe they are taking into account response so far...nah...It's MS lol.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 7:56am
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

The last true 'epic' move ever shot in my opinion was, EXCALIBUR.....

Agree 100%! I haven't watched that movie in a few years and had forgotten about it.

In the same vein, I would add Dragon Slayer. A 1981 film starring Ralph Richardson. Great story.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Jymp Jymp wrote:

Ok, from what I'm reading so far ??,  this new MSFS is going to be available on MS Game Pass ?, basically pay 5 bucks a month for access to all MS games Halo etc. including the new MSFS, now could it be possible that MS will allow the PC version sim to be bought separate, say for 75-100 bucks whatever the ask for it standalone ?, I know I know, all speculation, maybe they are taking into account response so far...nah...It's MS lol.

I don't think they are taking anything into account other than they are going to try this again. We wont really know anything till its out and can be evaluated by the individual as to if it fits into their expectations and requirements for flying a plane. As I just posted in another thread, how you define a 'nearly complete sim' and how someone else does is two different things. How you define the quality of the environment and someone else does is 2 different things. That is why the original open 'sandbox' design was established to begin with so it can be customized.

If they intend to do away with that and I can only obtain things directly through their direct control, that was called "Flight" as far as I am concerned but we all just have to wait and see how this all unfolds.

As for the product it was already stated that it is for both Xbox and Windows10 PC so the stand alone from Xbox is already established. I am sure it will require the Xbox app in Windows10 to use it, which is something I do not use at all and also disable 'game mode'. If possible I would uninstall the Xbox app from Windows10 like I uninstalled many other MS apps setting up the OS. It can not be uninstalled though.

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 1:40pm
On a happier note, I have Basil Poledouris soundtracks playing here in the office. All day long.
John Patterson
Jymp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jymp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 9:32pm
Well here's some good news...there's new info on the MSFS website today, especially for 3rd party devs, commercial & non-commercial they will be supported, seems MS may actually be listening.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 12:51am
Originally posted by cal2177 cal2177 wrote:

On a happier note, I have Basil Poledouris soundtracks playing here in the office. All day long.

Practice makes perfect...   https://tinyurl.com/y3ly3634

Being a athlete and a accomplished dancer she refused a stunt double and did the sword fight scenes herself. She was injured pretty bad in sword play during the filming but recovered.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 12:56am

Well here's some good news...there's new info on the MSFS website today, especially for 3rd party devs, commercial & non-commercial they will be supported, seems MS may actually be listening.

if they are going to allow direct 3rd party with no intervention at the checkout line, that's one thing...  but if I have to give them my first born, and provide a annual sacrifice to appease the MS gods,..  they can go suck an egg Big smile LOL

I told them that in the FS11 design team forum back nearly 10 years ago when they introduced the same nonsense to us there and I was not the only one with that opinion. (NDA is long gone on that one)

See,.. that's when they shut that group down and went direct to MS FLIGHT. 

I hope you understand how this works now.

Fly happy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 1:22am
I'm not happy with subscriptions. I want to buy the sim (or any other product) separately. 
With a subscription, the feeling of stress comes into play to get my money worth every month.
I do have a Netflix subscription but don't have the time to use it at all, but my wife and son do so I can justify the cost that way. 
Hans

W7/64 Ultimate, FSX Gold, SB-E 3930K @ 4.7, Sabertooth X79, GTX580, 4x2GB G.Skill RipjawsZ @ 2133-9-11-10-28-1T, Corsair H110+Obsidian 900D,Seasonic P-1000, GEX, UTX, UT2, REX, S-Tech LC, NGX.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 4:59am
Hans

Subscription or not.. if it works then it might be a good thing if they get more right than wrong.

If I dive deep into what is coming, I will no longer be able to respond like this.

I am sure there is a peanut gallery reading. They know what I will and will not play ball with.

Jymp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jymp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 6:22am
I understand working with 3rd parties is better than not...now still no fan of the subscription thing either, nothing said about that, so....
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 9:09am
I don't care for the subscription thing either. MS is going in that direction with their Office software and trying to move everything to the "cloud". I really hate that word as it is just a way of disguising what it really is. A server. Their server. I still have a stand alone Office and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 4:14pm

I understand working with 3rd parties is better than not...now still no fan of the subscription thing either, nothing said about that, so....

Exactly

That will come slow..  with diner and a bottle of wine   Big smile
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by cal2177 cal2177 wrote:

I don't care for the subscription thing either. MS is going in that direction with their Office software and trying to move everything to the "cloud". I really hate that word as it is just a way of disguising what it really is. A server. Their server. I still have a stand alone Office and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

That is why I still use Office 2004 with updates and upgrades (you can still get them and they all run on Windows 10)

No strong arm tactics possible, ever.
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 12:41pm
Looking at the all the latest information about MSFS2020, I am thinking its all starting to look very promising indeed. The scenery and environment in those Pre-Alpha game play videos is astonishing. Also I think that my initial suspicion that it not a completely new sim are correct and that it still has FSX DNA. I find it amazing the way that the scenery in generated. And also very exciting that it apparently will have an Addon Legacy mode so FSX aircraft should work in it :-)
i7 4770k, SABERTOOTH Z87, GTX 1080ti, G-SKILL TRIDENT 2400MHZ 9-11-11-31
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Avidean Avidean wrote:

..... And also very exciting that it apparently will have an Addon Legacy mode so FSX aircraft should work in it :-)

And that, in my humble opinion is what made FSX such a resource hog. Had FSX been created for FSX only, I believe it would have made for a much better sim.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 6:51pm
They considered canning reverse compatibility with FSX but decided not to, and we suffered ever since.

I met a lot of drop dead awesome looking women over the years, but I wouldn't want to be in any relationship with them.

Until this sim gets out and can be properly reviewed, I wont be making any assessments. They could have the holodeck on the USS Enterprise running and if I have pay a monthly fee for access, I'll be skipping that show. I read they have 500 cities modeled now, that's awesome. 500 down, about 4-5000 to go and that doesn't include the rural towns and villages.

The title isn't Call of Duty. If they think they can run a subscription system on the genre they nearly destroyed and there will be flocks of millions signing up,... May the force be with them.

Now, if they were to develop the scenery/cites that look like the marketing videos and pictures being posted, but, for Call of Duty folks to drop in and take out terrorists cells? That app wouldn't stop ringing the cash register bell.  LOL 

I really hope there is something good coming but one thing I know about that campus, they can toot a great horn for the public all the while planning the got'cha cash register, and, shoot themselves in the foot with a shotgun at the same time LOL
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2019 at 7:59pm
Yep. As I've said before, I trust MS about as far as I can throw my house.Cool
John Patterson
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2019 at 8:07pm
Regardless of all the negative energy, at least MS is gonna release for now what appears to be a worthy heir-apparent to their flight sim legacy.  If you put any stock in Frooglesim, he appears to give what MS's has dished up at a recent PR show a big thumbs up: http://youtu.be/Fj8h6yibHHc
A huge shift from where he dis'ed MS initial announcement.  Of course, we'll really know nothing until the fat lady sings (excuse my political incorrectness).

BTW, I am sooooo sick of the ESP look and feel we've had for the last almost 13 years (regardless of all the makeup that LM applied to that pig).  All I can say for now that's good about it is that it's a bird in the hand.

Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2019 at 12:54am
If it is one season, no AI,.. limited AI, no ATC or the same ATC from FSX, I get it... I was sick and tired of looking at ESP scenery 10 years ago when there were render titles that made FS(X) look like retro junk. It would just plain FLOOR me to fly over what I have seen, no argument there.

Perhaps it requires a subscription to get more than one season or other features.

I see the novelty in getting a pilot view fix with a system that should have been in place nearly 10 years ago and the exciting attraction, however, the devil is the details. The details even the Frooglesim's of the world were not allowed to see or record. So as far as I am concerned that was a controlled marketing play, and a good one.

"Microsoft recognized and invited me.. I am somebody!"  no, you're not. Right now you are just a tool.  <REALITY> 

So until this can be properly evaluated for the 'entire show' which includes the freeware/payware development community…  we simply wont know.

I did the cheerleader thing for this tile and that company over 10 years ago (in my case with no recognition or and direct/indirect compensation) and I wont do it again unless they come to the show with something of real value past a beautiful lipstick color on a suidae which is all that is shown in that youtube video. Anyone who sees more than that at this point is exactly the target market.

I will say it again, I do hope this goes the right direction however from real world experience it will take a lot more than a very controlled media kumbaya. I do not expect to be propositioned and with that I can speak truth without a leash or a 30 minute video.

Jymp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jymp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2019 at 6:32am
Looks like there will be three modes, online (subscription Ugghh), offline, and online in certain areas you choose ??, oh well... just need decent default ATC, AI, and seasons-hope not, but changing seasons in online mode, past experience we've learned no trust MS.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 1:41am
'Looks like' doesn't count at this point. We simply don't know.

There is nothing to look at or evaluate other than what Microsoft has strategically released for public viewing. As a matter of fact, everything in the media kumbaya invited release videos shows nothing but what Microsoft has strategically released with cheerleaders. 

Lets take the notion of  "I refused travel and compensation expense offers so I can report objectively about this new simulator"

lets look at with reality:

Microsoft recognized me so now my youtube and website advertisement income will go sky high.

Of course refusing compensation worked, for both MS and the blogger. He/she is telling the truth and getting well paid, right?  <SARC>

No one was allowed to record or show anything other than what Microsoft produced.... and we are told the bloggers original opinion was wrong?

Hopefully we will get past this and see some reality soon

In the mean time, here is a good watch...

Jymp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jymp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 7:32am
Shouldn't have said "Looks like", actually heard it in the interview with guys from Asobo & Microsoft, there's a video on YT.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 2:49pm
Its possible MS has not made final decisions around distribution with respect to a subscription business model. They may be monitoring the market atmosphere to see if such a model will fly and if so how far it may be pushed before making that call. In that, having a media kumbaya can spark such discussions so they can see where they stand. 

I think we have all liked what we have seen and read thus far. I know I do. I also understand the need to not show too much too fast especially when incomplete work can be scrutinized unfairly or a change to something they have previously announced could create a negative rumor mill.    

The hardcore entertainment market for a Flightsim hangs out in online forums but the overall bulk of the market doesn't. That unseen group represents the largest part of the market, far greater than the members of all the forums out there combined and that is the market MS needs to tap. The hardcore hobbyist is probably looking forward to getting as far away from Legoland as possible after 20 years of it so the novelty of a new visual sim alone is going to entice a lot of positive reactions whereby the big picture isn't being considered, or, finding out what is being traded in return in order to get that visual may at first seem fair but later after the novelty wears off its no longer tolerated.

I hope they don't but MS may decide to release with completely missing or undeveloped elements (like DX10 was with FSX) with the promise those features are coming. When I see something like that my first thought is:

OK, so you are not really sure this is going to fly and you want to see how much real world interest it has before you invest any more into it?

That is how I see releases that come with future promises laid out on paper as plans called 'roadmaps'. If the money isn't in the bank, it doesn't exist until the check clears. LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 3:19pm
Aliza Doolittle got the situation spot on (though Audrey Hepburn will NOT be playing the part of the fat lady LOL...dang, can't get any more beautiful than AH, only a look that's different).

BTW, Julie Andrew's Broadway performance of that song is far better than the movie's dubbed performance..but if she'd got that movie's part, she'd not been immortalized as Mary Poppins </trivia>
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 3:50pm
Julie Andrews could sing the phone book and I'd listen.Heart
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 7:42pm
Rex Harrison almost refused the movie roll without Julie Andrews because that is who played the part with him on stage.

They dubbed Marni Nixon (credited) and from what I heard they SUCK IN small parts of songs that were Julie Andrews pieces into the mix with Nixon. Julie got screwed out of the academy award by her own voice.

I remember the first time I saw the movie thinking ...wait, that one song verse and voice with it sounded like Julie Andrews.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:00am
My favorite Julie Andrews movie is probably one nobody has ever heard of. "Darling Lili". The music is wonderful.
John Patterson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 4 minutes ago at 11:54am
If it were possible, I'd gladly pay $1000 to see the original Broadway performance of My Fair Lady with Rex Harrison and Julie Andrews.  As for Hamilton...nah.  As a young kid in the 60s, I grew up to my parents playing that MFL performance's soundtrack (my Dad was into HiFi); all those songs have been deeply etched (lovingly) into my psyche.  At least JA did nab the Oscar for Best Actress for her performance in Mary Poppins (both movies were released in 1964).  </so much for staying on topic Embarrassed>
Rod O.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 29 minutes ago at 12:29pm
yea, I missed a word in that post...  Julie 'ALMOST' got screwed    LOL

She did admit later she had no idea what she was doing back then and being a live stage actor/singer she was a nobody other than stage and album recordings. She did 3 movies all filmed about the same time and that is when she became a name. They turned her down for MFL because they wanted a known star for the face. The voice they could create easy.

Since when was this thread on topic??  LOL 

As for HiFi...   I remember our 1965 Fisher Ambassador VII A690 Italian Provincial. That had MFL and The Sound of Music blasting on it. That console unit sound was amazing.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 17 minutes ago at 12:41pm
I remember HiFi. And I remember the first time I heard a stereo. I was awed. Almost as awed as when our neighbors invited us kids over to watch that new Charlie Brown Christmas special on their brand new color tee vee.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 5 minutes ago at 12:53pm
holy moly..   never thought I would see or hear one of these again: https://youtu.be/3Hii4STT89U?t=545

Those things were like 1100-1800 bucks depending on dual or single input (dual=turntable and reel-to-reel) back in 1965
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 16 minutes ago at 3:42pm
I can't remember the HiFi my father had. I want to say Magnavox but I'm not sure. This would have been in the mid 60's. I do know he was happy when I came home on leave after electronics  tech school and fixed it for him. It wouldn't eject the records. He was in Korea (US Army) at the time but my mother wrote and told him. The reason I think it was Magnavox is because the television (which was also out of sorts which I fixed (bad vertical sync tube)) was and he usually bought the same brand of everything else.
John Patterson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 44 minutes ago at 4:14pm
Our HIFi console was an RCA, with its two 3 way speakers pumping out that wonderful creamy valve (obviously stereo) sound.  I'm still totally into audiophile stereo, and still spinning the selection of LPs which I rescued when my parents decided to dump their collection...Martin Denny or Persuasive Percussion anyone?
Rod O.

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 20 minutes ago at 7:38pm
In my humble opinion, those old tube systems had a much richer sound than today's digital stuff. I inherited my father's love of music. While I listen to a wider range of music than he did, I still appreciate it as much as he did. And if I had the room and the $, I would have a big tube system.
John Patterson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic