SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MS Flight Simulator 11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2020 at 12:55pm
If you guys think things are bad now, thank God your not younger because its gonna get a lot worse!
i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2020 at 4:18pm
Yep, the ideal of "for the Common Good" has pretty much disappeared from society's ethos.  All the major public service organizations, e.g. Rotary, Lions, and pretty much most denominational churches are collapsing due to lack of new membership, and not to mention it's seemingly disappearance from nearly all corporate boardroom decisions.  But there are still solid good people out there, young ones are that, but just seemingly not enough.

And hey, even though I'm a white male "boomer" (therefore privileged and had the world by its balls, right?), l'll take right now over being back in the '60s.  Who wants to go without affordable simpit hardware and software, UHD TVs and bluray/DVD/streaming movies, and that opened Pandora's box known as the "The Internet"?

My now grown millennial kids have told me some of their married friends are hesitant to have children because they see our planet's future as being hopelessly FUBAR for their them.

See where a discussion started by mentioning "beating a dead horse" can lead you? Shocked Unhappy  LOL Beer

Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

Don't know what happened but something got deleted above...   a post by The Family Man correctly identifying what my father was trying to say.

If I did that by accident editing my post,.. my apologies. It certainly wasn't intended.Embarrassed
Here are the pearls of wisdom which I deleted because I didn't want to post something which may be seen as dishonoring your father; obviously not my intent:

"The only way to destroy your enemies is to make them your friends"
(otherwise it can be excessively brutal)

and

"Don't have such an open mind that it falls out"

BTW, thanks for the affirmation.
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Avidean Avidean wrote:

If you guys think things are bad now, thank God your not younger because its gonna get a lot worse!

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 3:05am
Originally posted by TheFamilyMan TheFamilyMan wrote:

Don't know what happened but something got deleted above...   a post by The Family Man correctly identifying what my father was trying to say.

If I did that by accident editing my post,.. my apologies. It certainly wasn't intended.Embarrassed
Here are the pearls of wisdom which I deleted because I didn't want to post something which may be seen as dishonoring your father; obviously not my intent:

"The only way to destroy your enemies is to make them your friends"
(otherwise it can be excessively brutal)

and

"Don't have such an open mind that it falls out"

BTW, thanks for the affirmation.

THANK YOU..  now I know for sure I am not NUCkin FUTz  LOLLOLLOLLOL   quite YETBeer

You nailed it.

HOWEVER
The man was a 1st class, USDA Choice SOB.

Whipped me bleeding because I messed up the 23 Psalm in front of the church congregation when I was 6 years old and then did it again (even harder) when I asked about the end game "get out of jail free card" in the book of revelations when everything else in the novel said different.   and that still wasn't as bad as the time I scratched his new Buick in the driveway learning to ride a bike without training wheels on my own with no help.

Never told me he loved me,.. and even more important, never said he was proud.

just:  Good Job

So no worries..  you can not dishonor a man who was smart enough to get where he did in life, but was also ignorant enough to be everything the 'good book' said would send him to hell.

He will be ok..  everybody gets out of jail and goes to paradise in the end. (sorry for the spoiler)

I figure I if go south.. I'll party like it's the 70's for a few 1000+ millennia or so and then be pissed off because the party is over.

OR

The energy that travels the synapses of my brain and body will simply return to the universe because it can nether be created nor destroyed, and what ever else organic will be returned as well.

I vote option#2 as reality....  although #1 sounds really fun

In a very twisted sense, my father got me where I needed to be out of sheer desire for his attention however he didn't plan it nor expected it to go that way. If anyone was my father.. it was his brother, my uncle Edward.

The BBC show Monty Python's Flying Circus, and the follow up movies "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"  and  "The Life of Brian" accomplished the rest.

LOL
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 12:18pm

Hah! I was sober as a judge when I made that comment.LOL

I'm with a more beatific version of option one and I don't believe in the get out of jail free card.

i7 8086K @5.3ghz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill DDR4 2 x 8GB 4400mhz 18-19-19, 2080ti, 3 x 1TB Samsung 970 Plus
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 1:26pm

Hah! I was sober as a judge when I made that comment.LOL

You misunderstood...   Daffy was ME answering YOU

In other words….. I've had enough of what is going on today and what appears to be coming down the pike  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 2:26pm
Being among the older group who have seen the progression of the downward slide in society, I agree 100%. I am thankful that I will be gone before this country rolls over on its back and dies.
John Patterson
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2020 at 2:28pm
"You misunderstood...   Daffy was ME answering YOU"

Indeed I did! Hilarious
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 6:39am

I'm with a more beatific version of option one and I don't believe in the get out of jail free card.

Here is the end game

What we call the dinosaurs, they ruled this planet for several hundred million years, the majority of what we know in popular culture was 100 to 65 million yeas ago.

Modern 'genetic tree' humans are 250 thousand years old with what we consider modern humans @ about 50 thousand.

We came about at nearly the end of the earth's life cycle. That might sound crazy however when we take into consideration what we know today with the assistance of silicone based computation and how it has proven itself with accuracy in the last decade alone and astrophysics, one thing is very clear.. forgoing we destroy ourselves one way or another,.. if we are not off this rock and moving away from our sun in the next 100 million years,..  we are toast.

Problem..  our brains (or the energy that make up who we are as individuals) is fine, but our bodies are not designed for any extended space travel. Evolution suggests we download our essence into vessels that will carry us.

Problem is, if we do not give that essence the same self centered, self preservation, self destructive and 'roll the dice' between a murderer and a Einstein reproductive ability of the species that would be fruitless to call the pioneers 'the human race', and, if we do that there is a strong possibility the AI may define its creator a virus and eradicate it.

ain't no getting around it..  we can't travel great distances in space without warp, worm-hole or star drive and that crap isn't happening without being able to harness even FAR greater energy than our own sun produces.. therefore, if we are to continue we will be placing our essence into MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR when the hardware to do it right, becomes available.

LOL

It will be sort of like a "Noah's Ark" event. Lets just hope is isn't Microsoft that develops the simulation.

and please don't point me to laser driven solar sails connected to microchip circuit boards that reach our nearest star in 40 years or so. Even though space outside of our atmosphere allows bullets to travel at the same speed they were fired from a gun unless interrupted by gravity or another object (including dust), the larger the object the more energy required to accelerate, and then decelerate!   You gotta stop the car in order to get out and look around   LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

and now you know...  the REST of the Story.   Paul Harvey    GoodDAY!
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 11:56am
That's one way way of looking at it. My world view is different. The natural sciences are all well and good. However, its been a long time since the Natural sciences where concerned with being epistemological sound. Since the enlightenment a new major branch of Philosophy has emerged.

Mostly thanks to (IMO) Rene Decarte who was then eclipsed by Emmanuel Kant. Phenomenology, used in the natural sciences in a way that could be said to circumvent epistemological requirements is where the phrase 'shut up and calculate' comes from. The 'Shut up' intended to extinguish that sense that some of the more philosophically minded in the scientific community might have that something is up with the status we are giving to the way we look at things.

There really are very few sciences. Physics and Chemistry. Both originally discerned by the ancient Greeks. The rest of the so called sciences (soft) are not really science at all in the epistemological sense. Sure they'll get that status looked at from a phenomenological point of view. But that is not about truth with a capital T. It's about usefulness and by implication value.

My favourite work on the philosophy of science and perhaps the most seminal work in the field of the 20th century is Thomas Kuhn's, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. where he outlines the structure of the collapse of scientific theories. The obvious and most famous example in the history of the world beyond a shadow of a doubt is the aftermath of the MichelsonMorley experiment to measure the speed of light through the ether about 130 years ago. The outcome of that experiment represented the utter demise of what had been the hither too unshakable epistemological soundness of Newtonian Physics. At that time the world community of physicist where of the general opinion that all that was left to do in physics was tie up the lose ends! But then all hell broke lose. Not until Einstein came along did the fog start to clear and when it did the world was a completely different place.

Anyway, I could go on and on. Its enough to say that physics is in much the same boat today. I don't think it's as apparent as it was back then because frankly the phenomenological bar is lower than the epistemological bar (probably much lower). Even the two most successful scientific theories of all time are not anomaly free. That's a problem when it comes to claiming objectivity. A claim that scientist make all the time.

My money is on a paradigm shift. A big one. But it will take the Hard scientific community to acknowledge a broader context. For physicist, physics is the broader context. The context in which all other things are framed. So acknowledging a broader context is going to go entirely against the grain.

Bottom line. The crisis in Physics precipitated by the MichelsonMorley experiment culminated in the recognition that space time and objects are not what they appear to be. The culmination of the next crisis in physics (which if one follows Thomas Kuhn is well underway) will yet again be the recognition that space time and objects are not what they appear to be.

In Ptolemy's time, the Copernican Revolution culminated in the recognition that Space time and objects are not what they appear to be.Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 12:06pm
I got to agree with Jim Morrison here:
Quote I don't know what's gonna happen man, but I'm gonna have my kicks before the whole sh*thouse goes up in flames.

At this moment in time, the world is freaking out over covid-19.  The next few weeks are going to stress modern society to its limits.  Financially my wife and I are on solid ground in this shaky time, but those with paycheck to paycheck lives whose meager livelihoods are now being shutdown for weeks are going to be squashed.  Interesting times lie ahead indeed, and here I am, worried that my pending 10700k build and the FS2020 release may be delayed a bit more...what trivial BS in comparison.

Metaphysical edit:
Our sense of existence and everything we experience in it are nothing but tried and true models that work for us.  The models cannot fathom "The All", for our sense of existence is but an infinitesimally fine gossamer thread of time within its vast space, and our sense of existence is forever limited within this thread's puny boundary.  (Oops, that's a model...oh well. Embarrassed LOL) BTW, this is the among best of my cocktail party chatter...also a fun bomb to drop on college-aged minds.
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 8:30pm
Funny thing...  even if a asteroid or plague doesn't do the job first, at the rate humans are consuming the resources of the planet there wont be any journeys unless its a last ditch effort. The dinosaurs hung around for several hundred million years but all they were doing was eating, sleeping, dumping and reproducing. They were not systematically mining, polluting, devastating oceans, forests and green life or technically working on ways to destroy in massive onslaughts.

We aren't going to be around in 100 million years, much less another 100K. The planet won't support it. More damage done to the planet in the last 150 years than was done in the 50,000 years before it combined.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 9:08pm
What, no Star Trek utopian future universe awaits us all? Shocked Cry

I've read that scientists have come to realize that we got to leave all "primitive" indigenous peoples as they are and given them the space they need, for they are humankind's only "ace in the hole" when everything else collapses.

Lest we all forget...

LOL
Rod O.

Ronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2020 at 11:17pm
Been following this thread,  keep it up guys,  very entertaining and informative.  Love it,  and being an old school fan of Monty Python, yes, those were the days....
Exist for another 100K?,  seriously, based on what's happening here in Australia today, we'll be lucky if we get to the end of this year,

Mission to Mars??  explore outer space,  advances in super technology??

The only Mission here today is finding a roll of toilet paper without getting into a punch up at the supermarket.     Then near the end, a young guy takes advantage or the situation to steal from checkout and run out.  Fear brings us straight back to the primal.
edit:  link may be down;

Ouch

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2020 at 8:28am
The future of humankind is doomed for several reasons. One is that we have slowly been dumbed down to the point where some think that wearing a helmet is adequate protection from an asteroid strike. True story. We've finally raised a generation so addicted to their iPhone screens that nothing around them matters. Not even each other. And those children will raise children even worse. The result, if we survive, will be a race of Eloi. H.G. Wells might have been quite prophetic after all.
John Patterson
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by cal2177 cal2177 wrote:

The future of humankind is doomed for several reasons. One is that we have slowly been dumbed down to the point where some think that wearing a helmet is adequate protection from an asteroid strike. True story. We've finally raised a generation so addicted to their iPhone screens that nothing around them matters. Not even each other. And those children will raise children even worse. The result, if we survive, will be a race of Eloi. H.G. Wells might have been quite prophetic after all.

And the truly remarkable thing is that it didn't just happen by accident. It's all by design and orchestrated.
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2020 at 11:30am

And the truly remarkable thing is that it didn't just happen by accident. It's all by design and orchestrated.

Bingo!
John Patterson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2020 at 1:19pm

Bingo!
And we have a winner!  For today's grand prize of 24 rolls of Charmin toilet paper, and a case each of Van Camp's pork and bean and assorted Cambells soups.  Our guards will escort you to your car.

Sorry Embarrassed, couldn't resist. LOL
Rod O.

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2020 at 2:35pm
Sweet!!
John Patterson
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2020 at 2:46pm
LOLCryLOLCryLOLCry
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2020 at 11:14pm

LOLCryLOLCryLOLCry

Yea, sorry.. but all the pseudo philosophical physics and the theories wont have enough time to coalesce the vaper of human experience into a viable and logical comprehension before the chit hits the fan on this planet.

Now, if by some miracle the tachyon is found (like the Higgs boson) and the ability to slide through (surf across) dimensions is verified, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTM_Zb6g2j0 then those silly physicist trying to balance Einstein with string theory,.. may.. just MAY come up with the interstellar star drive we need. AND it wont require more energy than our own sun produces in order to make it work!

Otherwise, and unless a total mankind social collapse and rebuild occurs whereby a lot of things change which also eliminates the monetary (AKA HAVES AND HAVE NOTS) system as well as a complete halt to planetary gluttony, and its TRUE reversal  (like what happened in Star Trek but without the 'Vulcans' showing up in 20-21-2263)…  we're f**ked

Even if that happened without the first contact technology, this planet can not support a population that can alter it's life expectancy without some kind of serious birth or population scale control...      Would you like your Soylent Green deep fried, pan seared..  with or without ketchup?

This tree hugger BS of cows farting and producing too much methane is so messed up its not funny. Based strictly on numbers humans put more methane out than 100x every bovine on the planet and in the future and unless things change FAST,...  its going to be a wasted protein source on a planet where those animals can no longer remain in abundance.

Then there is terraforming..  let's redo Mars... right  

I see that as a corporate cash cow as well as mining asteroids.

Wait..  mining, AGAIN?  It seems to me, unless things change drastically we just can't stop evolving to the aliens in the movie: Independence Day.

But, they had interstellar travel ability! Shocked  Wacko  
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2020 at 11:16pm

And we have a winner!  For today's grand prize of 24 rolls of Charmin toilet paper, and a case each of Van Camp's pork and bean and assorted Cambells soups.  Our guards will escort you to your car.

COOL!!!    One question.. as things are a bit strange right now..   Is the toilet paper use-ed, or not use-edBig smile   Beer  Handshake

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 12:21am
Right now there is a plastic patch floating in the Pacific ocean about the size of the state of Texas

Forget MERCURY,.. right now most marine life on the planet has a form of man made polymer in their systems.

Lets do a quick check... assuming it started when plastics developed and became a rage we can say that this devastation started 80 years ago.

80 years, with the majority of it happening in the last 50

lets see what we can do FASTER in the next 50.

Humans were exposed to PFAS and the heat released excrement of it by Dupont chemical for cookware starting the late 50's whereby today many of us have it in our systems and it will never go away.. look up TEFLON (a material designed to coat military tanks) I was warned about that back in 60's and never had any item in my household coated with it,.. but it ran mainstream for decades.

We're (humans) just getting warmed up when I referenced 150 years as compared to the last 50,000.

and as for the current political state of affairs..  we have finally reached what I call "THE FIFTH ELEMENT" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7eXwhussz0 for a retarded leader of the free world..  or  "The Twitter in Chief"   like the social media iPhone retards of today.

I can hardly wait for the next retard.

(and I am a conservative!)

Without the ability of human flesh and blood to leave this solar system and find new worlds in a reasonable time frame,.... we're f**ked.

If it happens without that travel ability and require 1000's of years, it will be a AI's programmed to be pseudo human's.

However if they are really that smart they would quickly surmise it would be far more logical to turn around (or not leave), get rid of the virus destroying the point of origin, flush the toilet and recover a perfectly good planet that has another 250 million years or so of viable living space over traveling 1000's (or more) of years with a complete unknown and probably no return at the end of the journey.

They could move to Mars or Titan in that period without human atmosphere requirements.

Skip the philosophical scientific bullsh*t and stick with known physics as well as established homosapien history and behavior. Mammals crawled up out of holes after being dinosaur game for a few 100 million years simply because the folks who were eating us got knocked off by an asteroid. Evolution will most likely knock us off because modern humans are the next asteroid and it wont take 100M years for it to impact.  Shocked Big smile Beer It already has.

We have done such a great job in the last 50 years at irradiating what we call 'pests' that we have damaged pollinating insects that provide life on this planet. Let's see what we can do in another 50.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 5:00am

Folks coming here to read the thread that says: MS Flight Simulator 11 and finding the thread is totally off topic, the reason for that is simple...  At the time of this posting there is no MS Flight Simulator 11 and there is no pertinent confirmable information about it, therefore discussing classic movies, popcorn and high end audio equipment AND just about any other topic including:

Theoretical Physics,
iPhone dicks that couldn't use a paper map today
Evolution
Toilet Paper
Psychology
John Wayne

Or

...any other subject for that matter...

has far more truth and value than a internet and social media based advertising campaign for a simulation product that thus far only has developer controlled pretty pictures and videos with a lot of promises.

That may change, (for the better or worse we still don't know), when it does so will this thread. LOL Beer

now back to our irregular and unscheduled program,... already in progress.
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 10:26am
I see you're one of those 'shutup and calculate' types Nick.LOL
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 10:42am
Yep, sure am.. Thumbs Up Just like John Glenn was smart enough NOT to launch until a 'shut-up and calculate' human instead of a machine ran the numbers and verified he wasn't going to come down in in flames or end up in the middle of the Indian ocean because the numbers were off by a few fractions.  LOL

That same 'shut-up and calculate' human was responsible for getting the LEM on the surface of the moon, not the screaming 1202 LEM computer. LOLLOLLOLLOL
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 10:47am
We don't stray too far off topic. Every once in awhile we mention "flight simulator" or how much we distrust MS.LOL
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 10:54am
I trust Microsoft as much as John Glenn trusted IBM LOL
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 11:00am

Metaphysical edit:
Our sense of existence and everything we experience in it are nothing but tried and true models that work for us.  The models cannot fathom "The All", for our sense of existence is but an infinitesimally fine gossamer thread of time within its vast space, and our sense of existence is forever limited within this thread's puny boundary.  (Oops, that's a model...oh well. Embarrassed LOL) BTW, this is the among best of my cocktail party chatter...also a fun bomb to drop on college-aged minds.

That's not metaphysics, it's PhenomenologyLOL
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 11:01am
I trust them as far as I can throw my house. Which might be farther than John Glenn trusted IBM.LOL
John Patterson
Avidean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 11:33am

Metaphysical edit:

That's not metaphysics, it's PhenomenologyLOL

I take it back there is some metaphysics in there too. Or is it Ontology. LOL
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 11:46am
Ok OK.. here is the point I am making

We didn't land on the moon because computers made it possible. We almost DIDNT land on the moon because of computers.

Fact: The same person who calculated John Glenn's flight and deorbit also calculated the moon landing. The 1202 (and other screaming errors) were NOT a result of design of the computer. They were the result of CORPORATE INFLUENCE.

They did not care if those astronauts landed or crashed. All they cared about was their hardware 'got us that far'

Just as JFK is on released record as saying something on the order of (with that New England accent)  I don't give a rats ass about space   after that beautiful speech delivered in the early 60's that pushed the ball forward.

This is what humans who are in key controlling positions, do. They do for themselves or their group of hommies who keep them rolling in the control position. Lets go back to ancient Egypt and fast forward to today. What has changed?  LOL!!!

That LEM computer went bonkers because without the key people who designed it's knowledge, NASA and the contractor pushed far more data to it than it could handle and then turned around and blamed us young PhD calculating/design hippies for a design flaw.

So you see... we landed on the moon because a human running numbers over-ridded corporate and political mankind, and that was the ONLY reason.

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 11:57am
… that and Neil Armstrong's experience

Even the now released Nixon speech about a disaster did NOT mention the LEM crashed and blew into 1m pieces..  it suggested they landed safely, but just couldn't return and would remain there.

So no matter what happened.. the mission WAS successful!  in a very twisted and disturbing corporate and political sense.

That's us humans! 

..and that's Microsoft and Google and Facebook and....    
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 2:59pm
Speaking of old computer reminded me of a friend of mine who flew DC-10s for World Airways. Their onboard flight computer was an old 286 machine. He retired two years ago and they still had old 286 machines in them. He said on a long haul (Houston to Angola) they would have to reboot the machine periodically.
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 7:05pm
Those old 802's were diehards.

Ronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2020 at 9:16pm
We are being advised to work from home during these difficult times.
Sort of sums it up really,  what hope...

cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2020 at 8:10am
Too funny.
John Patterson
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2020 at 11:08am
Totally unrelated to this thread, which most of it is LOL, someone stole all the toilet paper and paper towels from my office building last Friday. I was the only one here, so whoever did it snuck by me. Proof that we have idiots living amongst us. Its not a big building so they only got away with two bales each of TP and paper towels.

I went to Walmart at lunch and replaced it. Now why did they feel the need to steal what they could have purchased? 
John Patterson
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2020 at 1:42pm
Damn...   I'm good. I thought someone saw me!  LOL

Yea, we're about to see humans in action. Could you imagine if it was something like the black plague instead of a batwing souped-up hyper-flu?! I'm starting to understand the nut cases who stash automatic weapons and 100000 rounds now. LOLLOLLOLLOL
cal2177 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal2177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2020 at 2:12pm
This generation has been dumbed down to nothing more than sheep. Sheep see other sheep buying up truckloads of toilet paper and join right in. We're still shaking our heads trying to understand the whole thing. If they needed a roll of toilet paper and asked for it, we would have given it to them.

Oh, and we aren't supposed to call it Wuhan or Chinese flu. Dintcha hear? Even though it originated in China. So I wonder what we are supposed to call Spanish flu and German measles now? We live in a nation of idiots.
John Patterson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 33>
  Share Topic