SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[MOVED] New GTX1060

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scnrfrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [MOVED] New GTX1060
    Posted: November-25-2017 at 2:54pm
Just installed a new GTX1060 card. Still getting a few stutters. I would think with a card like this I wouldn't have to worry about turning down settings. Anything I can try?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 4:02pm
In what sim?  FSX? FSXSE? P3Dv.x?

scnrfrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scnrfrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 7:05pm
It's FSX with Windows 7. PC is an older Alienware.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 9:13pm
Old Alienware = ? CPU, CPU speed and memory speed?

You have to remember, CPU and CPU speed is king with FSX. Putting a 1060 card in with a old CPU and possibly PCie 2x instead of 3x (Haswell CPU and higher) you are only going to get so much. The video card can also begin to overrun the processor if they are not somewhat matched.

Point of reference..   a GTX 1060 video card is only about 10% faster than a GTX 780 assuming apples to apples in CPU tech, and the 780 being a PCIe 3x compliant card with the supporting CPU/motherboard hardware in line with a Haswell 4770K running 4.4-4.8Ghz back in 2013

If your CPU and motherboard do not range within that spec, whatever you get from that card will be limited by the CPU and motherboard the card is deployed into.

scnrfrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scnrfrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2017 at 6:38am
[QUOTE=NickN] Old Alienware = ? CPU, CPU speed and memory speed?

You have to remember, CPU and CPU speed is king with FSX. Putting a 1060 card in with a old CPU and possibly PCie 2x instead of 3x (Haswell CPU and higher) you are only going to get so much. The video card can also begin to overrun the processor if they are not somewhat matched.

Point of reference..   a GTX 1060 video card is only about 10% faster than a GTX 780 assuming apples to apples in CPU tech, and the 780 being a PCIe 3x compliant card with the supporting CPU/motherboard hardware in line with a Haswell 4770K running 4.4-4.8Ghz back in 2013

If your CPU and motherboard do not range within that spec, whatever you get from that card will be limited by the CPU and motherboard the card is deployed into.

The PC is about 8 years old. It has an i7-950 CPU at 3.07 GHZ (4 cores). Also running 6 GB of DDR3 RAM (NB Freq of 3210 MHZ and DRAM Freq of 481.5 MHZ - 3 sticks at 960 MHZ each). How does this look for running FSX? I'd like to hold off on a new PC for another year possibly.

Also, I seem to recall FSX runs better for reducing stutters at fullscreen, and that Vsync should be forced on in Nvidia settings?

Thanks for your help.
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2017 at 12:58pm
that is old CPU tech..  the 1060 is overboard for that but can be used. Its a PCIe 3x card, you aren't even in the ballpark for utilizing the full ability of the card

HOWEVER...

Please read though, this http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsx-cfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html  will tell you everything you need to know

NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2017 at 2:44pm
I read you are tying to hold off for another year

Realize regardless of video card and if I take the last shipment date of the CPU into consideration, which I am sure you built prior, (Dec 2012)  OR its possible Alienware was selling that system after that date for top dollar.... regardless,. you are at absolute minimum 5 years behind running a 1060 GPU in which the supporting system today would be considered, ... a joke

I ran a overclocked 975 extreme series with DDR3 1600 starting back in 2009

Not being facetious    not in the least. Just giving you facts

You asked about a 1060 and why stutters..   the issue is a 950 running just over 3GHz @ 1605Mhz DDR3, the CPU technology is from 2008-2009

Enjoy what you are getting. Try the suggestions posted in the link. There is nothing else I can suggest

scnrfrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scnrfrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2017 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

I read you are tying to hold off for another year

Realize regardless of video card and if I take the last shipment date of the CPU into consideration, which I am sure you built prior, (Dec 2012)  OR its possible Alienware was selling that system after that date for top dollar.... regardless,. you are at absolute minimum 5 years behind running a 1060 GPU in which the supporting system today would be considered, ... a joke

You asked about a 1060 and why stutters..   the issue is a 950 running just over 3GHz @ 1605Mhz DDR3, the CPU technology is from 2008-2009

Enjoy what you are getting. Try the suggestions posted in the link. There is nothing else I can suggest.

Thanks - I'll see how it goes for awhile. I'll read all your suggestions and make any adjustments I can.

scnrfrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scnrfrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 6:07am
[QUOTE=scnrfrq][QUOTE=NickN] I read you are tying to hold off for another year

Enjoy what you are getting. Try the suggestions posted in the link. There is nothing else I can suggest.

Thanks - I'll see how it goes for awhile. I'll read all your suggestions and make any adjustments I can.

I was able to get a 2 year old Alienware Area 51 recently, running Windows 10. It has 3.50 GHZ i7-5930K processor with 6 cores. Memory is 16 MB of DDR4. Video card is a Geforce GTX 980.

I installed everything for FSX, including UTX and GEX, following your guidelines. Everything works well, except still getting some stutters in windowed and full-screen mode. I turned down some settings, but it's still not totally smooth. Any one thing I can do to improve this?
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 6:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic