SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

monitor question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doebro2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: monitor question
    Posted: July-12-2019 at 1:47pm
I have the possibility of having 2 monitors.
my question is which one would you take if it is only for FSX se.
1-LG 34UM88C 34" Ultrawide IPS QHD Monitor or
2-HP Z43 42.5-inch 4K IPS UHD Display

duke
doebro2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doebro2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 4:29am
the reason I ask is mainly that I am interested in which size
you would choice.
one is ultra wide  and the other not.

vic_baron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 12:39pm
Personally I do not care for the ultra wides so I'd go for the other one.

Vic
3770K 4.7G ASUS Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, HAF942 - H100 water W10 Pro

7700K 5.0g Asus X270F 3600 15-15-15 RTX2080ti 1000W PSU 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAFX-H100 Water W10 Pro
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 2:36pm
and keep the resolution LOWER than 4K.. much lower
Ted striker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted striker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by NickN NickN wrote:

and keep the resolution LOWER than 4K.. much lower

I just don't get it Nick. You've got a great 4k monitor and you don't use if for flight simming? I've got a 55" Sony 4k TV that I suspect is lower image quality than your LG and it made simming a beautiful thing. So nice that I upgraded my 780GTX to a 1080ti to get the performance I lost going to the 4k. No disrespect at all, I'm just curious what it is about the 4k monitors that you don't like.

Ted
3770K @4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-C12P, Asus Z77-V Deluxe, Corsair 2133-9-11-10-27-2T, 780 GTX, Win7-64 on 256gb Intel SSD, FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 on 500gb Intel SSD, PC Power & Cooling 750W, Antec P193 case
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2019 at 12:16am
No disrespect taken however like the rest of the online FS world that read forums, you are not seeing the 'individual' setup picture and are assuming too much...

However you did ask instead of completely assume,...  which is good sign!  Big smile Beer

He isn't on P3D, he is on MSFS FSX

And regardless, the more pixels pushed the lower the performance especially with the over the top addons.

You must also understand the history from the OP and what is being asked:

That all suggests that this person is not satisfied with their sim and looking for miracle changes so they can run their overstuffed nonsense. Further, most have 8700 procs running 4.8-5GHz, and I would venture to say 1/2 of them use automatic overclock settings in the BIOS that are unstable as hell to begin with, hence the forum complaints about crashes and bad running sims (P3D or FSX)

I am not against 4K, but I know the Flightsim community and their inability to accept FSX OR P3D isn't being run off the holodeck computer on the USS Enterprise so their Orbx or other addon junk can be firewalled.

It comes down to tuning. I always start with the addons and the sim settings I want and will not do without on a reasonable resolution first..., then increase the resolution from there and monitor the result. When I hit the resolution that retracts from my smooth experience with my desired sim settings and addons on the hardware I am running.., its backed down till that experience is restored.

And last you are correct,.. TV's are not monitors.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted striker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2019 at 1:46pm
I did read the whole thread, but over a few days. It wasn't until after I posted that I saw the OP was FSX. I understand where you are coming from now. Beer

I still have FSX installed but have not flown it in quite awhile. I will need to fire it up and see how it works in 4k on my machine. I like the big screen full cockpit view so much that I am more than willing to turn off or down my settings to maintain good performance with it.

Ted

3770K @4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-C12P, Asus Z77-V Deluxe, Corsair 2133-9-11-10-27-2T, 780 GTX, Win7-64 on 256gb Intel SSD, FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 on 500gb Intel SSD, PC Power & Cooling 750W, Antec P193 case
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 4:37pm
There you have it Ted.. you are willing to work it back. Most wont. They will buy a 4K monitor and lock it there with the cows, horses, KFC next to the BP gas station where the BP customers pumping gas are waving at planes taking off

Then the user thinks they need a a 9000X processor upgrade so that scenario will be smoother

Honestly? If there was a hooker working the 1st class bar and I could watch the action through the cockpit and terminal windows,... that might serve as a fun break but on pushback fun time is over and I don't have any interest in the location of KFC/BP nor could I care less if people are waving.

HOWEVER!! I might declare a mechanical failure emergency so I can go back to the gate and see what that hooker is up to and what corner she is doing it in... LOL

No FPS loss, no stutters, just a really fun show Clown

doebro2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doebro2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 3:53am
after some questions and answers I went back to find out why my fsx flightsim is not given me the performance I wish. Started days ago with reading the bible of nickN and also Nvidia inspector in the way as discribed. Also put in the bufferpools and water low2x.
put the fps on 60 and force on v sync. my addons are :A2A aircraft and FEX flight1 (b.t.w beautiful grafics) and orbx scenery.That one causes me water problems  but could solve it via terrain cfg and now it is fine. I use in the cfg file timefraction 0.15
I stick with the I7-8700 and my 1080TI card and Z370 mobo.
So it runs now smoothly with fps between the 35 and 50 in all type of wheather and with a2a aircrafts and flying from Seattle ,LA or London city.
I probebly has to live with the fact that starting up the fsx cost me 7 minutes dispite of the fact I have SSD but I have AVAST antivirus etc. before that it was 1 minute.Dont know how to solve that.
Happy now but the question I still have is why people dont choose for ultrawide because you see more in the width of the screen instead of the normal size.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted striker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by doebro2010 doebro2010 wrote:

Happy now but the question I still have is why people dont choose for ultrawide because you see more in the width of the screen instead of the normal size.

That is the main reason I went to a UHD (4k) TV. I started with a single 1280 x 1024 monitor. The resolution of the monitor gives you an idea of how long ago this was. I wanted to see a wider view so I then got 3 more of the same monitors so I had a triple screen view 3840 x 1024. Ultra wide screen view screens weren't available back then. It was fantastic and there was no going back to a single monitor despite the performance impact. After awhile I wanted to see more of the panel vertically and the bezels were really getting annoying. So about a 2 years ago I got a 55" UHD Sony TV to use as a monitor. I selected 55" because it had the same pixel density as my triple monitor setup. It gave me the same wide horizontal view as the triple setup and doubled my vertical field of view so I didn't have to scroll the panel up and down nearly as much any more. I was in flightsim nirvana....until last week. The missus wanted to rearrange the basement furniture and shampoo the carpet in the basement where my flightsim computer is so we put the Sony in the upstairs TV room in front of the existing old 42" 1080p Vizio TV. Big Mistake! The basement cleaning is done and guess which TV the "boss" said I could use with the flight sim?...the vizio. The image at 1080p looks terrible in comparison to the UHD Sony. Flickering and not enough Anti-aliasing so it looks like I am going to have to reinstall that Nvidia optimizer program that allows me to apply SGSS. That will cost me more in performance than the UHD monitor did. This may finally push me to purchase a 42" UHD LG like Nick has.

By the way here is a performance comparison that I did years ago between the 3 monitor options. This was with P3dV3, my current computer but with my old 780GTX, not the 1080ti I have now. I don't remember what settings I used but they were the same for all tests. I always adjust my settings so I maintain about 30 FPS most of the time.

It is interesting that despite twice the pixel count the FPS with the 4k TV was better than the triple monitor setup....if you have the GPU to drive it. With the 1080P Vizio my 1080ti GPU utilization is 17%, barely working.

Regarding the slow startup of your flight sim. In my experience that has always been due to addons with the biggest culprit being large AI traffic programs. It seems like the sim has to read all of those AI Traffic files before it starts. Try disabling any AI traffic programs and other addons to check. A fresh fsx.cfg is usually a good thing to try.

Ted
NickN View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 3:02pm
There is nothing wrong with a single ultrawide if that is what you want..

Less monitors, less for the system to drive even with a higher resolution on the ultrawide.

I believe the comment about ultrawide was based on personal visual preference

Set your antivirus to EXCLUDE the entire Flightsim install directory (all files and folders) AND any/all addon directories that may exist outside of the FS install folder.

Ted is correct about AI addons and load times, however that is also true of addons that hit the model load system hard. If you look at where the load bar 'stalls' and at what % you can usually tell what system is being hit causing the initial load to be very long.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic