SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Manual?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manual?
    Posted: September-29-2007 at 9:38pm

Looking at the various cloud textures one encounters

a series of Sets with the comment that to use them

one should reference the manual.  Where is this manual?

Secondly, the help pdf mentions that one can easily

create one's own textures that can be saved and used

later.  I can find no information on how to do this.  I've

read the help document completely and have either missed

it or it's also in the "manual". 

Many thanks,

Jim

JimC1702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimC1702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2007 at 9:46pm

The manual is a 56 page .pdf file located in yor Flight Environment X folder.

Jim

jc880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2007 at 9:53pm

I knew I'd find the answer to at least one question as soon

as I posted.  Creating the textures is was almost too

obvious!!  Anyway, still have the question about the

manual that is referred to.

Cheers,

Jim

jc880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2007 at 9:55pm

So were does it tell you how to install those sets.  If that

is the manual, then why does it tell you to refer to the

manual.  I'd like to know more about those sets, namely

how to install them.

Cheers,

Jim

jdk2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2007 at 10:17pm

You choose a texture set from individual menu items on the left side of the interface.  They're named Cloud Themes, Sky Themes, and so on.  One you find a set you like inside all of these categories, click on the Main button.  At the lower right side of the Main screen is a button that says "Install Selected Themes".  Click it and the program will install the texture sets you selected previously.

You can select each category or individual categories to suit your needs.  Choose to just install cloud themes or choose each catagory and select a different theme from each.

Have a look in the manual at all of the various options that are available.

Regards,
Jim Karn

ChrisNorris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisNorris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2007 at 10:19pm

Hi Jim,

Apologies if that is a bit ambiguous it sounds like you are looking at the manual, perhaps I can try and elaborate and we can make some additional entries in the manual :-)

Ok to make a new cloud theme, if you start by clicking the Cloud button this will take you to the selector screen.. the tab at the top titled "Designer" opens the design tool.

First thing to do, is play around with the bias slider on the bottom of the screen.. each time you move the slider from left to right press the "Randomize" button to get a general look of the clouds.

You can make adjustments on a small scale, for example just randomize the wispy part of the cloud structure by unticking the box for the Cumulus. Just to reiterate a point here.. what you are doing is litterally creating a cloud you will likely never be able to create again.

Once you are happy with the general look of the cloud structure you can then apply different effects to it. For example you can change the artwork set used to make a more grey looking cloud, you can raise the opacity settings which works better for stormy clouds or reduce it for a more subtle hazy day. The brightness of the cloud can be changed as can the depth of shadow on the base of the cloud.

You can then repeat this process for each aspect of cloud make up. By clicking the Stratus/Wispy/Cirrus tabs at the top.

Once you have decided, Ok this looks like it might work. Click the "Save" button and enter a bit of detail as well as either selecting an existing category or typing in the box to create a new one.

Once that is done you can now "Test in FSX".

This will allow you to go into FSX and capture screenshots for your new cloud theme. To do this you can press the 'V' key as normal and you will see a scrolling FEX message accross the top of FEX to tell you you have captured a shot. (It will allow only three shots and then start cycling).

Once done, exit FSX. Then back in FEX you will see the screenshots you captured, resized and compressed. Then you can "Publish" the newly created theme to our website so other users can download it. Just hit the second button under the theme list in the designer to open the dialog.

The name field will automatically be filled in for you, however you can change this here also. Then click the Tick next to the name field to check that the theme name you have supplied is unique on our server.

Once that is done, hit publish and you will see progress bar. :-)

I hope that helps!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic