SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > Flight Environment Series
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Loss of visual clarity and performance using 4096
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loss of visual clarity and performance using 4096

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisNorris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loss of visual clarity and performance using 4096
    Posted: June-21-2008 at 1:12am

Just a quick note...

When using either 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 textures in the simulator if you then open and change any setting on the Display Settings screen in FSX it will cause an immediate loss in both visual quality and performance when resuming your flight.

This is not a bug as such.

To explain: In your fsx.cfg file there is a setting called TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD. In the display settings window within FSX if you make any change it will save all it's settings into your fsx.cfg, one of which is the maximum movement on the slider which is to 1024x1024. This effects clouds and aeroplanes and buildings.

Therefore you have 4096x4096 installed, however FSX now is told it can only load 1024x1024, so it loads the 1024x1024 mip from the texture rather than the full texture which tends to produce less performance believe it or not.

When the value in the fsx.cfg file is set to 4096 you will see the texture at it's full resolution.

The easy fix is if you wish to change your display settings, start FSX, make the change you want to make then close FSX. Start FEX and install the chosen cloud theme and then restart FSX.

FEX will automatically change this setting for you on each occasion it is launched. So you will now see the change you made to the display config and also get the benefit of SHD textures.

Obviously, in an ideal world this wouldn't be necessary however we have to operate around the issue. I have investigated ways of changing this solely from within FSX itself in code, however it appears once that setting has changed to the default max of 1024, the value of 1024 persists in memory so just changing the config back does not help the situation. I will persist myself with this to see if there is a better method.

Warm regards,

Chris

Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 2:53am

Chris
Just a bit more explanation please:  (i am very dense today!!)

You said, "The easy fix is if you wish to change your display settings, start FSX, make the change you want to make then close FSX"

What settings are you changing in FSX?
Do you have to keep changing the FSX.cfg to 4096 each time you start FSX?
Is your "easy fix" a one-off or do you have to do it each time you start the sim?
What setting will FEX automatically change on each occasion it is launched?
Do uou have to launch FEX each time you sue FSX for this to work?
Need the info to explain fully in the manual, PM me if its easier.
Thanks

PeterH (Tried to skype you today but you were in bed so was PW!! - I reckon all the work is done in the Southern Hemisphere)

Nil illegitimum carborundum est

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
triton View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 3:52am
Originally posted by Phase Phase wrote:

Chris
Just a bit more explanation please:  (i am very dense today!!)

You said, "The easy fix is if you wish to change your display settings, start FSX, make the change you want to make then close FSX"

What settings are you changing in FSX?
Do you have to keep changing the FSX.cfg to 4096 each time you start FSX?
Is your "easy fix" a one-off or do you have to do it each time you start the sim?
What setting will FEX automatically change on each occasion it is launched?
Do uou have to launch FEX each time you sue FSX for this to work?
Need the info to explain fully in the manual, PM me if its easier.
Thanks

PeterH (Tried to skype you today but you were in bed so was PW!! - I reckon all the work is done in the Southern Hemisphere)

PeterH

FSX will automatically overwrite the value for the line in the config that says TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 (4096 is required for SHD textures) when ever you make a config change from within fsx.

For Example:

So whilst In a flight, If you alter anything from the config in the SIM, say the autogen density as an example.. FSX will then update the fsx.cfg file, reset that line back to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024. (the textures wont look as good and performance will be slightly poorer) this is because When the config change has finished loading, the sim will be using 1024 rather than the 4096 value required for SHD clouds and textures. This is a "feature" of FSX Cry

If you never make changes whilst in flight it's unlikely to have an effect on you.

the easy "one off fix" is just run fex and launch fsx from it.. that way, FEX will modify the fsx.cfg entry to 4096 and save it for you, before starting the sim.

so If you have to make a change in Flight, save the flight and restart via FEX

Happy flying

Maurice

Nick Churchill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Churchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 8:09am
While the update is excellent, I hope a fix can be found for this Chris as I'm finding it a big problem. Today I've already had to reset this variable 6 times.
Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 11:06pm

Maurice

Many thanks for that - I will put that in the manual
Regards
PeterH

FSX SP2; i7 2600K, OC 5THz liq N2 cooling 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX670, WINDOWS 7 64; 256GB OCZ Vertex SSD; Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz Monitor
Peter Wilding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Wilding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 9:58pm

Nick,

I think you are perhaps not allowing FEX to reset the value for you.

You shouldn't have to reset it six times or even once.

All you have to do is let FEX do it all for you.

Chris is probably giving you too much information and it's confusing you.

If for some reason in game you want to change a display setting like tweak an autogen level for example FSX will write back to the cfg to make the max texture size visible to 1024. However, as soon as you exit the game and start FEX again the max texure size is reset by FEX to 4096 again so you can see SHD clouds.

I don't know about you but I seldom change display settings as once set I leave them as a general rule. I only ever change display setting if for example I get a new video card or I'm stuggling to get good fps with a new add on.

So most the time this is never going to be an issue in the practical use sense.

Just to keep it simple once you establish the display settings you want simply exit, start FEX and then start FSX and you'll have 4096 size textures for sure.

The only reason you are having to re-set it manually is becuase you are not letting FEX make the changes for you on start up.

Sure, if you make changes in game to display settings then exit and look at the cfg it will be set to 1024.

The key is that FEX is set to check this value on start up and set it to 4096. It's that simple.

triton View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:09am
Nick, this might be worth a try, don't know about you but I change the settings a lot when taking screenshot's, or in a flight ( because I like the best view, and understand my hardware limits it)

Just a thought, I believe that from What's been said that the limitation in the sim, is the fact that the "slider" forces the value of 1024 back into the config file.. well that's been my experience anyway.

So if you routinely make these changes, i.e to the ai settings on approach. It could be worth saving this changed config to a file.. called approach?

or bloom off, bloom off max autgen.. whatever settings you routinely change.

next exit fsx and edit the approach config file (notepad), and change the values for TML back to to 4096.

In effect create a few configs that you use most and edit them.

Now when you fly, and approach your airport, instead of going into the sliders just select load from the menu and your approach config..

as you don't view the menu (i.e. the slider) you should get your  new ai settings, bloom off etc. for approach as well as the 4096 textures set in that config file...

If it's the gui that's limiting the change, this would get you round the gui problem inherent in FSX, and it's quicker than using the gui anyway.

I've done this, and when I exited fsx and fsx updated fsx.cfg my TML was still at 4096 even though I'd made changes during the flight.

I too believe the update is excellent and a definite move forward in the sim, but I think the number of folks that will be effected by this is low, and in addition I think that Chris did the right thing to highlight the issue, as well as build a work around into the product itself.

Cheers

Maurice.
rpowers46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpowers46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 12:19pm

Just for clarification:If I don't want to change the settings in FEX I don't have to start it and have it running when using FSX?I can just leave the theme I am using and only run FEX if I change any display settings in FSX?Thanks,Ron

Andydigital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 7:25pm
As long as you never go to the Display options page and change anything in FSX,  then no you don't have to start up FEX first to get it to write the 4096 setting to the FSX.cfg file.

But i can confirm that the previous idea about saving a settings.cfg file from the same menu as the "display" option and then editing it in notepad works very well and i cant believe i haven't thought of using this before, its so much faster than faffing about in the menus, Thanks "triton". You can create a settings file the way you have it now say to mysettings.cfg and then open it up with Notepad, make some changes as required in Notepad and then "save as" with a different file name that reflects the settings it contains.

i.e.

unlimitedFPS_50%Airline_70%GA_NoAirportVehicles.cfg

30FPS_20%Airline_100%GA_LowAirportVehicles.cfg

etc,etc.

Below is a sample of the contents of the settings config file created when you create a settings save from within FSX. In Windows XP this file is saved to "My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
[SCENERY]
LENSFLARE=0
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
[DISPLAY]
BLOOM_EFFECTS=0
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
[PANELS]
QUICKTIPS=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.000000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=23
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=26
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=4
[WEATHER]
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8
THERMAL_VISUALS=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=100
GADensity=100
FreewayDensity=0
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0
LeisureBoatsDensity=0
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1 //this is the airport ground vehicle slider, tugs etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Churchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 2:54pm
Thanks Maurice, I'll look at that option.

I wasn't knocking Chris, in fact I'm very happy he pointed out this small problem. I also appreciate that my type of use puts me in a minority and this is caused by the way FSX works, not FEX.

And to end my post, I do truly love the new clouds!

triton View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 2:59pm
Nick,

understand your point of your type of use.. your special Clap

Awsome screen shots as usual, I particularly like the second shot of the glider ConfusedLOLLOLLOL

Is that coming soon or is it out.. it looks fantastic..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Churchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 3:01pm
Ha ha, yes it's been pointed out that she's lacking a little fuel Wink

It's the Aerosoft Cat which is going back into production with a new developer. Sorry I didn't mean to advertise on the F1 forums, these just happen to be the only two aircraft I've been looking at since downloading the update Embarrassed
toby23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toby23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 12:46pm
I've been expermienting and this problem also happens if you change your aircraft in game. I think it happens if you access any menu in game.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by toby23 toby23 wrote:

I think it happens if you access any menu in game.

No it only happens if you change any of the sliders on the same tab as the LOD radius slider. Try changing the quantity of AI traffic and you will find that it doesn't change the texture setting.

You can tell when it has changed it back as the loading time is a lot longer when it initially lowers the resolution, especially if you have a custom "LOD radius" set at say 6.0000 (the default max via the slider is 4.50000).

Stratocruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stratocruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 3:17pm

Originally posted by Andydigital Andydigital wrote:

Originally posted by toby23 toby23 wrote:

I think it happens if you access any menu in game.

No it only happens if you change any of the sliders on the same tab as the LOD radius slider. Try changing the quantity of AI traffic and you will find that it doesn't change the texture setting.

You can tell when it has changed it back as the loading time is a lot longer when it initially lowers the resolution, especially if you have a custom "LOD radius" set at say 6.0000 (the default max via the slider is 4.50000).

When I tested this, changing only one of the settings on the Traffic tab, the texture resolution was still changed from 4096 to 1024 in the FSX.cfg file.

Phase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 6:36pm

PeterW/ChrisN

I wanted to make sure that I got this right to enter the correct info in the manual and what I found was that any change that you make in the SIM even nothing to do with DISPLAY etc if that change is written to the fsx.cfg file then the resolution immediately changes back to 1024 from 4096.

So any change to the fsx.cfg resets the resolution to 1024, and the only resolution is to restart the SIM via FEX.
Is that what everyone else is seeing?
Regards
PeterH

Peter Wilding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Wilding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2008 at 6:40am

That's right.

If you make any changes in fSX display setting you need to restart the game via FEX to ensure you've got 4096 clouds showing.

IMO this is a bug within FSX and should be an option to set to the user level of input.

FEX deals with this limitation in a logical way and it's the only way to see 4096 clouds.

Bman. View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bman. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2008 at 11:56pm

Ok, I want to make sure I have this correct.

1) Set initial FSX setting - exit out
2) Open FEX and load what ever
3) In the settings windows I can set up and save several .cfgs
4) Edit those .cfgs and change the text load setting and whatever else I want for that particular setup
5) When I am flying I can load any of those edited .cfgs I defined and it won't revert back to 1024 if I don't adjust any sliders.

I am pretty sure that's what I am reading - I just want to make sure.

Bman.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2008 at 4:00am
Yes that's exactly what you are reading, although you only have to save a settings file once, the rest of them you can create whilst editing the file with notepad. All you have to do is select the option "save as" from notepad and save the same file put with different settings within it with a different name reflecting the settings you have created in it.

i.e.

"unlimitedFPS_50%Airline_70%GA_NoAirportVehicles.cfg"

"30FPS_20%Airline_100%GA_LowAirportVehicles.cfg"

"Approach settings.cfg"

"cruise.cfg"

"Airport.cfg"

"vfr.cfg"

etc,etc.
Bman. View Drop Down
Intermediate Group
Intermediate Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bman. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2008 at 9:38am
Got it!  Yeah, that's pretty darn sweet.  I always fiddle with setting while I am in the air as different locations require different combinations.  It's nice to know I can change them during flight and keep the 4096. 

One thing is for sure is I had it dialed in last night...save that setting!
toby23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toby23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2008 at 4:52pm
textures will always reset if i change the weather from real weather to an fsx preset in game.

they are not resetting if i change between fsx weather presets in game.

they are not resetting if i change aircraft as i previously thought
c152flyboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c152flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2008 at 7:39pm

i wanted to make sure i understood part of the solution here.  if you start with FEX, pick your 4096 SHD clouds, then launch FSX from within FEX, you will have the 4096 clouds? and once FSX starts, if i pick any type of weather it will result back to 1024?

also what if i just pick a plane and location but no change to weather in FSX?  will FEX get my 4096 SHD clouds up and running?

ryanbATC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanbATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2008 at 7:35pm
If you change weather the 4096 will remain.

If you change a display setting, like changing autogen level from dense to very dense, it will go back to 1024
Sanal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2008 at 11:47pm

If you select " Real World Weather" in MFSX weather option, FEX clouds/water/sky settings will not make any changes to MFSX weather theme. Unless FEX weather engine is developed.

toby23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toby23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 7:27am
Peter, I made a mistake and cannot repeat what i posted before.
After testing again, I found the following to be true and this confirms and adds to Chris' original post.

1. If you change any setting from the main menu or mid-flight, the fsx.cfg file will still show 4096.

2. If you change any setting in the Display Menu, from the main menu or mid-flight (eg Frame Rate, Lens Flare, bloom) the following happens:

i. The textures will immediately change to 1024 in game but the fsx.cfg still shows 4096.
ii. Only when you Quit FSX does the fsx.cfg file change to 1024.

3. You CAN change aircraft, weather, time of day or location at any time, without affecting the texture quality or the setting in the fsx.cfg file.

Conclusion

As most people do not change their display settings, this is only a problem if you need to change your frame rate mid game.

It is also a problem for people who make screenshots, as switching Lens Flare or Bloom on and off (Display Menu) will change textures immediately to 1024 in game, even though the fsx.cfg file still reads 4096.

If you change a Display setting, you only need to quit FSX, reinstall the theme with FEX, close FEX and restart FSX to enjoy hi-res 4096 textures.
johndrago View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johndrago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 5:37pm
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry for digging up an old post, however I would like to clarify something. I have not had any problems with FEX per say.

During flight, occasionally, I will adjust the traffic slider on certain final approaches to remove poorly directed traffic, or improve FPS.

My question is, do I need to verify my fsx.cfg to make sure the textue load is still 4096? Do I need to reload my theme from FEX?

I've had FEX for several months, and have not gone back in to make any changes. I happened to come across this post while investigating a texture load issue.

The issue I was having (only happened once so far) was while completing an almost 12 hour flight in the PMDG 747x, as I approached the destination airport, I began loosing ground textures, and aircraft textures. Also, my clouds became square. FSX didn't crash, but it looked horrible. I presume it only happened once so far because I hadn't taken a 12 hour flight for a while before I loaded FEX.

The only change I had made prior to taking this flight was adding FEX. I wanted to see if the SHD clouds and the change of the texture load settings had anything to do with it.

Thanks,

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 6:04pm
Corrupted graphics is a side effect of a real long flight, especially if you did it all in real-time, I've seen it on a few long haul flights even without FEX SHD clouds (I don't use SHD anymore). Changing traffic densities shouldn't change the 4096 setting back to default, you can usually tell when it reverts because it completely reloads all the textures which takes noticably longer to load than it takes to just change traffic levels.

If you are at all unsure whether the setting is still intact then load the relevant theme again with FEX and then as soon as FSX has finished loading save the settings in FSX by pressing ALT then "O" (not zero) then "S" to bring up the save settings dialogue, and give it a name like "FEX 4096 Res textures" This will save all settings you have at that moment in time.

Next time you think things maybe dont look right, select ALT then "O" (not zero) then "L" which brings up the load settings dialogue and select your previously save settings file "FEX 4096 Res textures".

To verify that the file does actually contain the 4096 setting you can find the file in your "MyDocuments>FSX Flight Simulator X Files" folder once you have saved it, if you used the above naming convention as an example, you will find a file in that folder called "FEX 4096 Res textures.cfg" you can open that file with notepad.exe and the relevant entry in the cfg file should be:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

If it doesn't match the above then just change it in notepad and save it. You can now always use this file to reload 4096 res textures from within FSX DURING flight, just by using the load setting dialogue as described above.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Churchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 2:26pm
It may help a few people, who stumble onto this thread, to read the following article I put together a couple of months back on creating custom display profiles.

http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/fsx_settings_config.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic